Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Reviews of the new Dracula disc have cropped up and started that while the new transfer is a huge upgrade over the old one, the framing has been mysteriously hosed with. It's still a must buy for me, but I wonder why they screwed with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Reviews of the new Dracula disc have cropped up and started that while the new transfer is a huge upgrade over the old one, the framing has been mysteriously hosed with. It's still a must buy for me, but I wonder why they screwed with it?

Given how "warmly" the previous Blu was received, I'd put my bets on the new 4K Sony Colorworks transfer being correct.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

My friend is asking if My Beautiful Laundrette is any good

It's alright, but a bit dated (very "This is a British '80s film," which is alright if you enjoy that sort of time capsule peek, but it definitely feels its age in how it was made). It's also a little aimless at points in a disappointing way, in how it rather just pokes a little at important issues then forgets about them, but it's a really good showcase for young Daniel Day-Lewis.

That said, if you want peak young-DDL, A Room With A View is where it's at. I enjoyed My Beautiful Laundrette, but it's definitely a rental.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
You know what's also good and recently added to the CC? Dressed to Kill.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Amazon deal: Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (2004-2009) - $88.99

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wow House was pretty terrible, but I can see how it influenced Sam Raimi so it's not totally worthless

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Wow House was pretty terrible, but I can see how it influenced Sam Raimi so it's not totally worthless

Its definitely not for everybody. You can't deny it has a certain charm though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There's a line it crosses where it goes "look at me, I'm being wacky!" a little too much, and Sam Raimi's films seem to know how to stay on the right side of that line.

As far as historical significance though, was this the first "wacky" horror movie?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Steve Yun posted:

Wow House was pretty terrible

This is a bad opinion and you should feel bad about having it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

There's a line it crosses where it goes "look at me, I'm being wacky!" a little too much, and Sam Raimi's films seem to know how to stay on the right side of that line.

As far as historical significance though, was this the first "wacky" horror movie?

Spider Baby, maybe?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's only so much I can take of Japanese girls getting maimed, but I think House is one of the most creative horror films I've seen.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So are you talking about the William Katt one, or the Japanese one?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

You know what else is pretty terrible?

You.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I fell asleep during House...twice :(

I'd buy the TerrorVision/The Video Dead double feature over House any day.

The American Dreamer dropped down to $18.99 - just released a week or so ago

quote:

The wild, unexpected success of Easy Rider ushered in what is now seen as one of the most significant turning points in film history, making pathologically rebellious Dennis Hopper an unlikely King Of Hollywood for a day. Hopper's follow-up work, The Last Movie, a deeply personal, but ultimately disastrous, meditation on the meaning of cinema, found Hopper drifting further and further into foolishness. Captured by co-directors Lawrence Schiller and L.M. Kit Carson, The American Dreamer is a multi-faceted document of the life and mind of one of the 20th century's great cinematic voices at the peak of his artistic and commercial success. Shifting between being an insightful document of a complex artist in the midst of his creative process and a self-reflective exploration and explosion of vérité filmmaking tropes, The American Dreamer is a mesmerizing journey into the private world of one of Hollywood's most hypnotic directors/stars. Fortuitously timed, fantastically made, and virtually unseen, The American Dreamer is the great 70s film documentary you always wished existed.

Etiquette Pictures, in partnership with the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, brings this forgotten masterpiece to home video for the very first time in a new, Director approved 2k restoration, painstakingly reconstructed from four 16mm prints housed in the Walker Art Center s Ruben/Bentson Moving Image Collection. Major support to preserve, digitize, and present this film and the entire Ruben/Bentson Moving Image Collection is generously provided by the Bentson Foundation.

Bonus Features
1. Scanned & Restored in 2K from 16mm Vault Elements
2. "Fighting Against the Wind" 30 minute Making-of Featurette
3. "A Long Way Home" 7 minute Preservation Featurette
4. Extensive Photograph Gallery
5. Booklet & Essay by Chris Poggiali
6. Reversible Cover
7. English SDH Subtitles

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...K2PXBMIE6JX2LHE

quote:

The American Dreamer presents a startling, candid portrait of a unique personality intersecting with a critical moment in cultural history: New Hollywood. It is not, however, a documentary—following a benefit screening of the film at New York’s Lincoln Center, Schiller told me that although the style pays homage to the genre—especially the 1922 staged silent documentary Nanook of the North—Hopper was always performing. “An actor playing an actor,” Schiller says. According to the director, there isn’t a moment in the film when his subject doesn’t understand he’s being filmed: In fact, Hopper is even credited onscreen as a co-writer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/02/the-american-dreamer-a-documentary-about-dennis-hopper/385182/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 8, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
To be fair, I stayed home sick today and figured I'd watch a bunch of criterions on Hulu, but I discovered that I absolutely cannot watch Truffaut or Fellini when I'm sick and tired. This may also have colored my viewing of House. nah

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno I think it gets a pass for being super old and Japanese and the first of its kind

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Somehow the X-Files box set has already dropped to $150:

https://www.foxconnect.com/x-files-collector-s-box-set.html?utm_source=dhdCampaign&utm_medium=dhdCampaign&utm_campaign=KSvyrfErir%257RALPP

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

yes

e: Having just watched Die Hand der Verlezt in hd widescreen for the first time, I am so completely excited for this. It's like night and day.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 9, 2015

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
edit: whoops redundant info

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

I fell asleep during House...twice :(

I'd buy the TerrorVision/The Video Dead double feature over House any day.

TerrorVision is fantastic and I'm glad someone brought it to blu-ray, but the Video Dead sucks out loud.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Inception - $4.66
Thor: The Dark World - $14.96
Fantastic Mr. Fox - $5.00

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

TerrorVision is fantastic and I'm glad someone brought it to blu-ray, but the Video Dead sucks out loud.
The correct movie to do a double-feature set with TerrorVision is clearly Meet the Hollowheads, but for some reason it's The Video Dead and I couldn't be more bored by that decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sna5oHDZCvc

...I want Meet the Hollowheads on Blu-Ray so bad

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

caligulamprey posted:

I fell asleep during this movie and it made for some batshit dreams

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I actually really like The Video Dead :saddowns:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I actually really like The Video Dead :saddowns:

I don't think it's that bad. I mean, it's bad, but it isn't boring.

Terrorvision just happens to be awesome as hell.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I don't think it's that bad. I mean, it's bad, but it isn't boring.

Terrorvision just happens to be awesome as hell.

Jon Gries in his 2nd-best role of the 80s

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The correct movie to do a double-feature set with TerrorVision is clearly Meet the Hollowheads, but for some reason it's The Video Dead and I couldn't be more bored by that decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sna5oHDZCvc

I'd heard of this and knew it was weird, but holy poo poo that movie looks insane and kind of unpleasant to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Meet the Hollowheads is awesome and should be viewed by all, it's like Terry Gilliam had a nightmare about Saved by the Bell.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

CPL593H posted:

I think you got this backwards. Video Dead is trashy fun, and scared me/grossed me out when I was too young to be watching it

The Scream Factory double disc is nice though

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Aladdin comes out next week. Sounds like it has a pretty good review over at the BR site.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a list of the new special features anywhere?
Also, why are they releasing this now, instead of waiting six months and including the upcoming season too?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Masonic Youth posted:

Also, why are they releasing this now, instead of waiting six months and including the upcoming season too?

Because peak hype is before a series airs, not months after.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gotta get your money ahead of time in case the new series doesn't live up to expectations

Which is why Disney the selling the gently caress out of new Star Wars toys right now

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Masonic Youth posted:

I don't know what is new vs. carried over from the DVDs, but here's everything:

quote:

SPECIAL FEATURES AND CONTENT:

Season One

Series Intro by Frank Spotnitz
Chris Carter Talks About Season 1
Deleted Scenes
International Clips
Deep Throat: Audio Commentary by Chris Carter
Erlenmeyer Flask: Audio Commentary by R.W. Goodwin
Special Effects Clip From Fallen Angel
Documentary: "The Truth About Season 1"

Season Two

Deleted Scenes
Chris Carter Talks About Season 2
Humbug
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Two"
Duane Barry: Audio Commentary by Chris Carter
End Games: Audio Commentary by Frank Spotnitz
Anasazi: Audio Commentary by R.W. Goodwin

Season Three

Deleted Scenes (w/optional commentary by Chris Carter)
Chris Carter Talks About Season 3
International Clips
Special Effects with Commentary by Mat Beck
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Three"
Threads of Mythology: Abduction
Talitha Cuma: Audio Commentary by R.W. Goodwin

Season Four

Deleted Scenes
Extended Scenes
Special Effects with Commentary by Paul Rabwin
Tunguska – Interview With Chris Carter
Paper Hearts – Interview with Vince Gilligan
Memento Mori: Audio Commentary by Rob Bowman
Introduction to Memento Mori by Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz
Max: Audio Commentary by Kim Manners
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Four"

Season Five

International Clips
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Five"
Threads of Mythology: Black Oil
FX Featurette
Introduction to The Post-Modern Prometheus by Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz
Patient X: Audio Commentary by Kim Manners
The Red and the Black: Audio Commentary by Chris Carter
The Post Modern Prometheus: Audio Commentary by Chris Carter
The Pine Bluff Variant: Audio Commentary by John Shiban

Season Six

Deleted Scenes (w/optional commentary by Frank Spotnitz)
International Clips
Two Fathers: Audio Commentary by Kim Manners
One Son: Audio Commentary by Frank Spotnitz
Triangle: Audio Commentary by Chris Carter
Introduction to Milagro by Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz
X-Files Profiles: Cigarette-Smoking Man
Featurette on Season Six
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Six"

Season Seven

Deleted scenes (w/optional commentary by Chris Carter)
Special effects sequences with commentary by Paul Rabwin
International Clips
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Seven" Behind-the-Scenes featurette
X-Files Profiles: A.D. Skinner and Samantha Mulder
Closure: Audio Commentary by Kim Manners
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Seven"

Season Eight

Special Effects by Mat Beck with Commentary by Paul Rabwin
International Clips
Deleted scenes (w/optional commentary by Frank Spotnitz and John Shiban)
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Eight"
Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Chris Carter
Threads of Mythology: Colonization
X-Files Profiles
Within: Commentary by Kim Manners and Robert Patrick
Deadalive: Commentary by Frank Spotnitz
Vienen: Commentary by Rod Hardy

Season Nine

Deleted scenes (w/optional commentary by Frank Spotnitz)
Special Effects by Mat Beck with Commentary by Paul Rabwin
International Clips
Audio Commentary by Chris Carter, Vince Gilligan, John Shiban, Frank Spotnitz, Kim Manners
Documentary: "The Truth About Season Nine"
"The Making of 'The Truth'"
"Secrets of The X-Files"
"Tribute to The X-Files"
Threads of Mythology: Super Soldiers
X-Files Profiles
Reflections on the Truth Featurette
Wonder Con Panel

TECHNICAL SPECS:

Screen Format: Widescreen 16:9 (1.78:1)
Audio: English: DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO 5.1 (PLUS Spanish/French 2.0 Surround DD)
Subtitles: English SDH / French / Spanish
Closed Captioned: English SDH
Total Run Time: 151 hours & 11 minutes

And it's being sold before because that's when the hype is highest, plus it's the Christmas season.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I guess what I don't get is that the audience for this set is diehards who were going to buy it no matter what, so why put the fear into them that Fox is going to double-dip after the miniseries comes out?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
As a diehard, I can positively say I don't wanna wait a half year on account of OCD.

e: Also, I'm pretty sure they haven't ruled out the minor possibility of additional short seasons. So who knows where the overall series will end.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 10, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'd like to know if the earlier seasons will be in 4:3.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

CPL593H posted:

They've been streaming in 16:9!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

CPL593H posted:

As far as anyone can tell, they are not. The listings for the box set just say "Aspect Ratio: 16:9".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Masonic Youth posted:

I guess what I don't get is that the audience for this set is diehards who were going to buy it no matter what, so why put the fear into them that Fox is going to double-dip after the miniseries comes out?

It's not like they're going to make a new complete series set with unique content just 6 months after this complete series set, so the worst any double-dip would be is a slightly elongated package that fits the additional BD case in it. If that is a real fear for you, go ahead and wait.

CPL593H posted:

All signs point to them being 16:9. That's what the press release says, they're streaming in HD in 16:9 on Netflix, and Chris Carter very recently said that they had protected for widescreen all along so he's super happy with how it looks. 4:3 purists for seasons 1-4 will have to stick with the DVDs for those seasons I think (similar to the situation with The Wire).

• Locked thread