Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

LR is still coming. If it wasn't, I doubt IV, The After Years, V and Type-0 would be available on PC this year as well. They do need to do something about the port quality though, Type-0 is the only halfway ok port and that's only after people realized that the high AA setting actually meant 4x supersampling which would bring most systems down to its knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I made a deal with the devil to sacrifice my soul + the Lightning Returns PC port for FFXII HD

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The Canceled Final Fantasy XII Sequel: Narrative and Gameplay Revealed

quote:

In 2009, Swedish studio Grin shut its doors. Months later, reports surfaced that at the time of closure, the studio was working on a Final Fantasy spin-off. Codenamed Fortress, the project would serve as a sequel to, and likely the final chapter of, Final Fantasy XII.

After its cancellation, details about Fortress beyond news of its existence were scarce. Interviews with former studio heads Bo and Ulf Andersson and snippets leaked to press described an action role-playing game set some years after the events of 2007 Nintendo DS title Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. A majority of the game took place in a fortress in a northern section of Ivalice--one of the Final Fantasy series' many worlds--with players controlling a single character. What that character did, who that character was, and what the overarching plot was were never discussed at length.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-story-behind-fortress-the-final-fantasy-game-t/1100-6431036/ (Part 1)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-canceled-final-fantasy-xii-sequel-narrative-an/1100-6431040/ (Part 2)

I think what's interesting is that Square-Enix realized that FFXII's setting and gameplay had strong appeal, especially for Western audiences. I've mentioned before that FFXII's gameplay and story were the precursor to trends (open-world, political drama, Kingslayers etc.) that would dominate the RPG landscape in the coming years. Instead of developing it internally, they got a Western developer to make a spin-off game. Were Japanese development teams too tied up/lacked enough interest to make the game or did they think a Western developer would be a more natural fit for the game?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I made a deal with the devil to sacrifice my soul + the Lightning Returns PC port for FFXII HD

That's the worst trade in history

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Making a deal with the devil to sacrifice my soul + Final Fantasy 7 Remake to get Lightning Returns PC back and nullify this this bad deal. I'm also requesting that he lets Toriyama-senpai have your soul for slighting Lightning-sama.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably a good thing Grin died when it did, as lovely as that is to say.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's mostly the economics of it all that did it in, it's just a shame since the story pitch had me interested.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sunning posted:

The Canceled Final Fantasy XII Sequel: Narrative and Gameplay Revealed

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-story-behind-fortress-the-final-fantasy-game-t/1100-6431036/ (Part 1)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-canceled-final-fantasy-xii-sequel-narrative-an/1100-6431040/ (Part 2)

I think what's interesting is that Square-Enix realized that FFXII's setting and gameplay had strong appeal, especially for Western audiences. I've mentioned before that FFXII's gameplay and story were the precursor to trends (open-world, political drama, Kingslayers etc.) that would dominate the RPG landscape in the coming years. Instead of developing it internally, they got a Western developer to make a spin-off game. Were Japanese development teams too tied up/lacked enough interest to make the game or did they think a Western developer would be a more natural fit for the game?

Didn't you post nearly this exact same thing before? Has this thread entered into an endless recursion of time?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

Didn't you post nearly this exact same thing before? Has this thread entered into an endless recursion of time?

Considering part 1 came out two days ago, I think it's more likely you just can't read.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like thinking about alternate realities where Nintendo and Sony make consoles together and ones where games like this actually came out instead of thinking about timelines where I'd be rich or WWII didn't happen or something.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's mostly the economics of it all that did it in, it's just a shame since the story pitch had me interested.

GRIN struggled with large scale development with Bionic Commando Rearmed being their standout success. It's successor, Overkill, has done a great job creating smaller scoped games with strong post-launch support that target digital platforms. Between the miscommunication and growing pains of both GRIN and Square-Enix, it was unlikely Fortress would shape up to be an enjoyable experience. It's a shame since it was in a good position to take advantage of the WRPG upswing.

Nevertheless, this was the period Square-Enix was spiraling downwards. They shipped Front Mission Evolved, FFXIV 1.0, and a half dozen other bombs. The publisher wasn't hurting for commercial failures or just plain bad games.

Gologle posted:

While news of Fortress's development troubles and cancellation has been known for years, this is an a recent 'tell-all' by Ulf Andersson (the GRIN co-founder, not the chessplayer) about what exactly went down from GRIN's perspective. There's also talk of Eidos Montreal doing its own FFXII's spinoff called Valiant Saga which was cancelled as well. It's interesting that these spin-offs both have Western developers working on them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A western developed FF would be really, really bad so I'm glad it was cancelled.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

A western developed FF would be really, really bad so I'm glad it was cancelled.

On the other hand, I'm not hating the concept of an ancient vengeful water god having to take over the land by going through the fortress.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In Training posted:

Secret of Evermore was pretty good

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Phantasium posted:

I like thinking about alternate realities where Nintendo and Sony make consoles together and ones where games like this actually came out instead of thinking about timelines where I'd be rich or WWII didn't happen or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Secret of Evermore was pretty good

Secret of Evermore was a product of its time and only worked because it was so tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't like to see what grimdark-obsessed Americans raised on a steady diet of GRRM, Dan Brown, and Double Quarter Pounders with Cheese would poo poo out today.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
hory shet das wascist

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gologle posted:

hory shet das wascist

It's impossible to be racist against Americans (Google "The Melting Pot"). Also, he's right.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's not racism, we Americans have earned every bit of ridicule through hard work and dedication to our ideals.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Secret of Evermore was a product of its time and only worked because it was so tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't like to see what grimdark-obsessed Americans raised on a steady diet of GRRM, Dan Brown, and Double Quarter Pounders with Cheese would poo poo out today.

I dunno, with recent European accomplishments, I'm pretty sure they'd do something just as bad as we'd put out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

On the other hand, a western developed FF12 spinoff specifically has the potential to be really good. I can see Sunning's point. If they had all their ducks in a row, it could have been a really interesting entry and competition for the WRPG hits that dominated in the wake of FF12 which inspired much of it. That's a really big "if" though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

In Training posted:

i think you're forgetting that FFIX was made in Hawaii.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Also, it is flat out ignorant when you consider that Western takes on Japanese cultural touch stones and vice versa have been really cool in the past and think about the statement in context. "I wouldn't want to see Americans do Final Fantasy because cheeseburgers and Game of Thrones" <-> "I wouldn't want to see Japanese do Disney because sushi and Naruto"

Like what really are you saying?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

He's saying if it doesn't come out of glorious Nippon it is gaijin trash, baka.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's not what I'm saying at all, but I'm sure everyone who likes Media That's Almost Entirely About Emaciated Peasants loving And Bleeding And Dying that you're getting offended on the behalf of really appreciates it. I am saying that our western AAA offerings in the past decade have been way too obsessed with being overly serious and bleak. If it doesn't have gratuitous suffering, it isn't cool enough for us to take to market.

Tomb Raider was fun, but it was unnecessarily a snuff film and let's not pretend that it didn't come from our current trend of "must have at least this much agony to ride."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's fair to say that games have trended towards being self-serious in a lot of places. How many games end with the protagonists tragically dying while sad music plays, and how much humor is self-effacing sarcasm?

I don't think that's exclusive by any means and there are counter-examples but there's a pretty big trend in modern gaming that poo poo has to be Super Fuckin' Serious and any humor has to be ironic so people don't think you're being serious about liking something silly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is cool because hokey cyberpunk stuff is badass. Sorry for the tangent all.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is cool because hokey cyberpunk stuff is badass. Sorry for the tangent all.

And Mankind Divided is gonna be even better.

So long as it has Pritchard in it.

So help me God it better have Pritchard.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They're more than halfway there.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And Mankind Divided is gonna be even better.

So long as it has Pritchard in it.

So help me God it better have Pritchard.

You mean Francis.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

Also, it is flat out ignorant when you consider that Western takes on Japanese cultural touch stones and vice versa have been really cool in the past and think about the statement in context. "I wouldn't want to see Americans do Final Fantasy because cheeseburgers and Game of Thrones" <-> "I wouldn't want to see Japanese do Disney because sushi and Naruto"

Like what really are you saying?

Well goons regularly say the second thing completely seriously so.

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
Given the developer I kinda assume Fortress would have ended up really boring and repetitive, but the story stuff seems like it would have let the characters actually grow and change, rather than endure a retread of their original arcs (like some other FF sequels). I'd probably buy it for more Ivalice stuff even if it had like 3 locations and terrible gameplay.

It would also have answered the ever-important question of "who's banging" (jesus christ larsa).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Senator Chuckles posted:

Given the developer I kinda assume Fortress would have ended up really boring and repetitive, but the story stuff seems like it would have let the characters actually grow and change, rather than endure a retread of their original arcs (like some other FF sequels). I'd probably buy it for more Ivalice stuff even if it had like 3 locations and terrible gameplay.

It would also have answered the ever-important question of "who's banging" (jesus christ larsa).

If Vaan went back to his home planet and died on the way, whose to say how good thing game could of been!

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
You almost got your wish, FFXII fans and haters. the middle-aged man simulator you've been craving...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Senator Chuckles posted:

You almost got your wish, FFXII fans and haters. the middle-aged man simulator you've been craving...

But we've already had FF games where the protagonists were in their 20's.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I always laugh at the fact that Cid from FFVII and Auron were supposed to be the world-weary, wise characters in their loving early 30s.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I imagine Auron was early 40's. Or at least I hope so, otherwise the whole shebang about his mystique just falls really flat.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I dunno, I think I'd rather have had a bad but interesting Fortress be released than three FF XIII games, only one of which is actually any good and only if you manage to completely ignore the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I always laugh at the fact that Cid from FFVII and Auron were supposed to be the world-weary, wise characters in their loving early 30s.

auron was old as gently caress.