Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Akaviri is in the game already, its the stuff fighters guild members wear. You can get wearable sets already, but they're not very optimal pvp sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pretty much all of this sounds great, though I'm especially happy about the faction grouping change. Sorry EP, but my current and main character will be the only one glued to that dreary landscape from now on. I hereby pledge my allegiance to the snooty elf lady :v:

As for the CP cap... while I can definitely see why people who have way more than the cap could be mad at it, it really is important for the long-term health of the game. In all MMOs, a steady stream of new blood is what feeds it and keeps it going for years. Without them, it quickly becomes a ghost town with like a dozen people left idling in town jacking each other off over their obscure MMO e-cred while waiting 8 months per minor content patch because the dev staff has shrank to like 2 people. That could easily be ESO's future if it puts off enough newbies to the PvP or PvE game by having a wall of inaccessibility. The CP cap allows people who have joined in recently to play and (whether or not skill > stats, which I'm sure has a lot to do with it), the perceived power level difference won't be there. This means that less PvP newbies will say "gently caress this, I'm going to go play GW2", and will instead say "That guy's good, I need to L2P like him".

Also from a PvE standpoint, although it hasn't happened yet after playing other MMOs for years I guaran-loving-tee that eventually some kind of elitism would sink into pubbies and someday you'd see groups for "LFG (easy instance you need 0 CP or good gear for), 300+ CP Req PST!" We're already seeing more minor versions of it in trade chat, though they haven't bitched about CP yet. Any time there's a stat to be improved upon, the shittier members of a gaming community get WoWitis and want someone blatantly overqualified to carry them. I could easily see that happening if CP got to stay uncapped forever, which would put off PvE endgame newbies as well.

Any MMO game that caters to its small but verbal minority of top-tier endgamers over the majority of less-experienced customers who just putter around casually will fall on its rear end. WoW succeeded for many reasons, but one of the big reasons it kept going for so long after its heyday was to make the endgame accessible to those who didn't have EQ1 levels of time to be at the top.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!
Most people do not play PvP, and this was true well before champion points existed. In effect, this change is being made to satisfy one tiny minority of players at the expense of a different tiny minority of players. If they got rid of champ points completely, the people complaining now would just invent a new rationalization for why they keep dying in PvP. Everybody thinks they're better than they are at video games because they measure themselves against AI opponents, and AI (like regular I) is dumb.

Good game design comes from thinking things through ahead of time from everyone's perspective, not lurching from one complaint to the next, thinking forum whiners are in any way representative. There are plenty of good solutions out there to the issues you address (such as no champ points in PvP). But a hard cap adjusted by hand is a poor solution, because it leaves substantial imbalance, leaves a chunk of your playerbase with nothing to do, and re-invites this argument every time you raise the cap in the future. It solves nothing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Think about it this way:

-Player A has been around since beta, has played through the content, understands the strengths and weaknesses of his chosen class, and is usually competing against other like-minded individuals in PvP, trying to better himself (either by improving his rotations or seeing what his opponents can do and adapting to those conditions). The only time he complains about something is when it's clear that whatever he's complaining is completely broken because of developer incompetence.

-Player B picked this game up during B2P (because lolnotgonnasubinTYOOL2015), only picked a class because he thought it looked and sounded cool, spends a majority of his time in PvE content, and only goes into PvP when he thinks he's able to copy the FOTM setup for his class (i.e. Sypher's 2.1 MagNB build). He also refuses to adjust the FOTM template into something that fits him and instead just carbon copies everything bit by bit because "If Sypher can wreck scrubs so can I!" Whenever he loses, it's because "oh he's using X skill which is clearly OP and needs to be nerfed," or "well he has 1200 CP and CP is broken" and proceeds to run to the official forums to call for nerfs to an entire class because of that one particular skill (see: the current fad asking for NB cloak to be nerfed because no one can competently counter it) or starts complaining about not being equal in power to someone who's put in time and effort to get to where they are now.

Here's what happens when you introduce a Champion Point cap:

-Player A will be unaffected, since they have been playing long enough (before 2.0) to be able to adapt to any situation. However, they will lose incentive to continue playing because they are being artificially weakened because of the complaints of the majority.

-Player B will hit the cap, try yet another FOTM setup, and proceed to get wrecked as usual because he refuses to adapt and adjust to his strengths and weaknesses, and instead of complaining about "OH BUT HE HAS 1500 CP AND I ONLY HAVE 200" he'll go right back to claiming that X skill is OP and needs a nerf, or that Player A is somehow using macros/cheats/being a no-life loser.

Conclusion: A cap essentially changes nothing. Once more and more people hit the cap, they will lose interest because:

-They realize that the people who were destroying them in PvP/PvE leaderboards will still continue to destroy them because of skill.
-They realize that they're not seeing any tangible progress (they are earning CP but are locked out of using it because of the cap), and will eventually stop playing because "what's the point?"

A cap is a temporary solution at best, which should be implemented while a developer thinks of another way to solve the problem of imbalance. Except, here's the kicker: you can never hope to balance a game like this perfectly, because in order for there to be some form of competitiveness, there must always be some sort of imbalance that people should want to overcome by sheer skill.

The major problem here though, is Zenimax's incompetence when it comes to balancing gameplay as best as they can. They refuse to do incremental balance changes while they work on the larger balance issues, opting instead for blanket nerfs and buffs (see: the blocking change nerf, the hilariously stupid battle spirit changes introduced in 2.1 aka Imperial City) during major content updates. To top it off, they refuse to acknowledge whenever something is broken and making things unfun (see: the Trap Beast bug that went on for weeks; there were several threads about it, detailing what was going on, and a majority of them were deleted/hidden from view; not very good for your developer image, tbh).

Two things that can be done to bring back some goodwill from the playerbase:
-Communicate more often (not just during ESO Live or by posting /lurk in forum threads) about issues
-Acknowledge when they've screwed up.

And yet they refuse to do either.

=========================================================================

E: 2.2 has been Datamined
-Lots of new costumes (including some nice Redguard stuff for you Ennu <3)
-There seems to be an IC/Orsinium Bundle Pack included as well

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 6, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Are people seriously up to 1500 CP or something? That sounds hilariously broken.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

1500? Try 2200

Oh and yeah, apparently some guy managed to solo the Molag Bal simulacrum in the Imperial City Sewers. With emperor buffs

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 6, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Well put. I would only add that not only do the developers need to communicate more and acknowledge screw-ups, but they also need to play their own game occasionally. Many of these problems are really glaring to even a casual observer.

e: Being fluent in Russian is an unfair advantage, please nerf it immediately. Also, get ready for my fleet of burly redguard dudes in the I Dream of Jeannie get-up.
e2: That's the best thing, if they just wait another few months 2200 dude will be at 3600 and he'll be capped anyway.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

1500? Try 2200

lol exp pots boosting CP exp was a terrible decision

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Having champ points increase health, magicka, and stamina was also a terrible decision.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

tgidieday posted:

Having champ points increase health, magicka, and stamina was also a terrible decision.

Yeah. I kind of figured something like this was going to occur once the returns graphs for CP points spent didn't kick in diminishing returns until like, 80 points was put into a tree.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Scyantific posted:

-Lots of new costumes (including some nice Redguard stuff for you Ennu <3)
-There seems to be an IC/Orsinium Bundle Pack included as well

Oh my god those outfits :swoon: If those are crown store costumes, they might actually be worth spending on instead of the drab ugly garbage we have now.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Like when I took a break in what, July? I was at about like 120 CP which was from about what, 3- 4 months of solid daily playing since 1.6 launched and I didn't have any CP to start with since I was vr 1 at patch.

That was like at least 4-5 hours every day after work playing, at least one whole day on the weekends, and even at that what I consider a very dedicated pace I'd still be like maybe 300-400 CP by now.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
There will be bears everywhere and suddenly Orcs look like Klingons in Federation clothes.

Plus... I was definitively informed in this very thread that Champion Points were tots OP. Hence my immediate campaign as a slowly leveling PvE player... using many shell corporations and parachute accounts to get them capped. Did I do the wrong thing?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

I'd still be like maybe 300-400 CP by now.

They also bumped up the experience you get doing vet stuff shortly after you left. Your pace should have got you over 501 by November 2nd.

On the other hand, you could have played one-fifth as much and got to 250 because of enlightenment. An hour a day makes you a turbosperg try-hard strawman if the forums are to be believed.

Sogol posted:

Did I do the wrong thing?

Well, if you avoid earning money so you don't have to pay taxes on it, then no, you're fine.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

For you, Ennu:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

For you, Ennu:

:stwoon: This is the new solo arena, I presume?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

tgidieday posted:

They also bumped up the experience you get doing vet stuff shortly after you left. Your pace should have got you over 501 by November 2nd.

On the other hand, you could have played one-fifth as much and got to 250 because of enlightenment. An hour a day makes you a turbosperg try-hard strawman if the forums are to be believed.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

What I don't get is how someone like Sypher would have like 1500 CP as he would stream all day doing pvp which was terrible for CP gain.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

:stwoon: This is the new solo arena, I presume?

Yep, that's a veteran reward. Apparently people are already complaining that "IT'S TOO HARD PLS NERF OMG"

E: Sypher's a special case since streamers like him and Deltia are turbospergs.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Sypher has people account share to grind out CP for him while he does other stuff.

Either way I don't care about CP as such and am looking forward to Orsinium. As long as they don't start balancing non-trials content around 500 CP and I can just ride a bear in bonemold armor I'm fine.

It does sound like for PvP ZoS is loving themselves back into another hole with very few players dominating and skewing battles because the devs are too slow to react. Like, 500 CP cap will kind of balance things a bit, but you're kind of left asking "why the gently caress do we even have CP system then?"

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

tgidieday posted:

Well, if you avoid earning money so you don't have to pay taxes on it, then no, you're fine.

Do I know you?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

From the PTS forums:

quote:

544 - 1,870,740
442 - 513,544
331 - 391,000
698 - 2,377,344
358 - 420,939
357 - 419,850
904 - 3,047,364

The number on the left is the Champion Point and the number on the right is how much exp you'll need to get to that point.

So much for an "improved" way to earn CP. :laffo:

E: Because graphs are cool and good

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Wait, they're keeping everyone's levels the same and then instituting a 3x penalty for earning xp over the cap. Do they realize that's a big gift to the 2200 champ point dude?

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010
zenimax online developer: '??????uh balance???????what is balance?????????what is QOL?????? hello is this thing on'

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Heh... So they really did just create a kind of grandfathered elite relative to change and the CP system going forward?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Gonna have Video Game Stockholm Syndrome here for a moment and consider the possibility they're not going to do something dumb. Let's say that they're going to put everyone's previously earned experience on the new curve, and then allow people to apply as many champion points as their new level allows. The "cap" becomes a soft cap, just the level at which the 3x experience penalty kicks in. An "unenlightenment" that can be tweaked as needed.

Break-even on this scheme is 536 champ points. Most people just straight up get 150 bonus champ points, while 2200 guy would be reduced to 823.

I actually kind of like this.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 7, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

quote:

Plunge into the crumbling, abandoned depths of Old Orsinium, the ancient first location of the Orc capital, destroyed in the First Era. Pass through the three legendary gates - Smelter, Hammer, and Temper - descend into the Caves of Dark Abundance, and locate the sacred fire of Malacath that burns deep inside the Temple of Grudgement

quote:

Grudgement

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Looks like their naming skill is capped at "loving terrible".

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

quote:

500K AP for chest, head, swords, staves, shields
250K AP for most of the others
100K AP for belt, dagger and one or two others
50K AP for the style material (5K per scrap, 10 scraps needed)

Prices for the Akaviri motifs

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So is there an actual useable cap or are they just making it take a real long time to gain more points after 501 CP?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
People are logging into the PTS with the same number of champ points that they currently have on live. They're finding (and the patch notes agree) that they can only apply the first 501 champ points, no matter how many they had to start with or earn in future. They're also finding that earning champ points gets slower as you level and that there is an additional 3x penalty that kicks in over 501.

Basically, they're "punishing" the people who got 2200 champ points by giving them more levels than anyone coming after them could possibly get.

Sogol posted:

Heh... So they really did just create a kind of grandfathered elite relative to change and the CP system going forward?

In short, this.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Please remake the thread when Orsinium comes out and name it Grudgement Day

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

JackBadass posted:

Looks like their naming skill is capped at "loving terrible".

I mean, this was already pretty evident. The cats come from Elsweyr, for christ's sake.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Well, Mauloch is the god of grudges.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Hello, I am new and dumb can I please grab an invite to the NA PC guild (my mans are all in Ebonheart) please?

@whiteydelendaest

I have played in fits and starts for about a month now but haven't had any real time to focus on good mechanics, which is just as well because frankly leveling is pretty easy/straightforward and I'm SO not ready for PVP yet... although it's really what I desire to do.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i've got this dragonknight dps and it's loving with me because i can't solo a world boss and seems like i can't do decent damage with it. it's a redguard with 5 medium 2 heavy, using dual wield and 1 hand and shield. is that a lost cause? i don't want to switch to a different weapon if i can avoid it

gear is 5x hunding's rage, 4x ashen grip and i've got 10k magicka, 13k health, 16k stamina, 58% wrapon crit and 1800 weapon damage unbuffed, at vr3.
bars:
dw: rapid strikes, hidden blade, green dragon blood, whirling blades, evil hunter, ferocious leap
1h+s: ransack, flame lash or volatile armour, immovable brute, shielded assault, stone giant, standard of might

it sucks but i don't know how to fix it

vug fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 7, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fengrush posted his StamSorc build on the forums, Ennu.

Time to ditch Thundering Presence.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

All glory is fleeting.

Eh, I was already leaning towards taking a few months off. When I get back, hopefully at least one stamina class will still be fun to play.

vug posted:

dragonknight dps

I recognize this from my dragonknight about a year ago, and it comes from the death spiral of stamina dps builds: "I need more toughness, I'll put points in health. That didn't work, how about some heavy armor. Hmmm, guess I'll get a shield bar going." Very quickly you become an ersatz tank just tough enough to stand there helplessly, not doing damage.

Now, dual wield is the best melee AOE damage there is, but it comes at the price of requiring a full-time healer. It took a long time for me to give up on it for solo stuff, and I was immediately glad I did. You really should consider a two-hander in there for rally (stamina heal over time and emergency heal) and brawler (spammable damage shield). You can still have a dual wield or bow bar or whatever else you like, but it's just hard to be a tough dps like you want with stamina without resorting to a two-hander.

If you really want your specific build to work, make sure you have three cost reduction glyphs (vr3 gold lasts for a while). Don't put any points in magicka, use blue health/stam food, put invasion on your shield bar (invasion+flame lash is good for stun, but flame lash is not good dps for stamina), and start farming engine guardian.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

PureRok posted:

I mean, this was already pretty evident. The cats come from Elsweyr, for christ's sake.

Absolutely cheesy naming conventions, frankly, only increases my enjoyment. Like, how hilarious are the actual canon in-universe Argonian names?

Hauls-Rope-Faster? Gold.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Or Clicks-Post-Wrongly. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

Fengrush posted his StamSorc build on the forums, Ennu.

Time to ditch Thundering Presence.

I watch Fengrush while doing other things. He ditches Thundering Presence specifically because the speed buff only lasts 3 seconds and he considers the damage not worth it. The way he uses Lightning Form is all about mobility. When he triggers it he is often not close enough for the initial damage buff of Thundering to kick in, but his dps from other Stam investment is so insane it would not matter. In order to get what he wants he has to trigger it every 3 sec, eating Stam that he would use for pretty massive damage elsewhere. So he uses Boundless to keep the speed buff up and not drain Stam.

For PvE leveling I am still using Thundering because my build is AoE and I trigger all sorts of things right next to groups of mobs. I will swap it out next respec. I also use the DW shield in that AoE build because I get dmg reduction, speed and AoE for less Stam per cast. This means I don't have to cast Thundering as often and just use it at the top typically. As I said though I will swap it out and as I have more skills available probably won't have room on the bar for the DW shield.

• Locked thread