Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
There should be a "Sleep" button just above the reputation button when all your guys are in their cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

DeepQantas posted:

There should be a "Sleep" button just above the reputation button when all your guys are in their cells.

Thank you. I feel dumb for not noticing that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'd like to thank escape mode for making me appreciate how pretty fire is in this game.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Huh how do you use "special" functions of tools in escape mode? When I played yesterday I couldn't figure out how to dig or how to set things on fire.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

You have to start digging by right clicking your own toilet (watch the tooltips carefully). Once in tunnel it's just left click punching the walls.

Lighter is just left click punching to set on fire (counts as combat so stay hidden until you can end combat).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

While I'm learning the ropes I'm wondering if it's viable to play the game really slow. Like: admit 20 prisoners, then just hang around for a few weeks, admitting no one else, while you observe what's going on.

Or will I just instantly go bankrupt?

I know about infinite money, but I want to get a feel for the economics as well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

While I'm learning the ropes I'm wondering if it's viable to play the game really slow. Like: admit 20 prisoners, then just hang around for a few weeks, admitting no one else, while you observe what's going on.

Or will I just instantly go bankrupt?

I know about infinite money, but I want to get a feel for the economics as well.

When learning, definitely. But keep in mind that prisoners do get released, so eventually your 20 prisoners will have dwindled to 5 and you'll want to let in some more.

The ideal should be to find an equilibrium where you take in as many prisoners a day as you release on average.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah that's what I figured, but watching friends play, it looks like this mad rush to keep admittance at the max and building new cells all the time until everything burns down. Kinda figured they were either incompetent or going for the challenge, thanks for the confirmation.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

If you're going for the MacManus prison experience you want so many prisoners your facilities are constantly strained... for maximum fun.

If you're going for perfectly planned prison, you want at least something of a nest egg from selling a previous prison. Perfect planning kinda makes you build larger than is profitable early on.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm Norwegian. I'm creating a cozy little min-sec cottage.

Edit: What I really want is an island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mTKDaKa6Q

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 8, 2015

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Does anyone know if cell quality or security level is in effect in Escape Mode? Can I get my guy moved to a cell block with better access to the outisde by biding my time?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Black Griffon posted:

I'm Norwegian. I'm creating a cozy little min-sec cottage.

Edit: What I really want is an island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mTKDaKa6Q

Security is a sheet of office paper taped to the front door with the words "No escapes after lights-out, please" printed on it uncentered.

Everyone complies.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 9, 2015

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

FadedReality posted:

Does anyone know if cell quality or security level is in effect in Escape Mode? Can I get my guy moved to a cell block with better access to the outisde by biding my time?

I don't know if they'll downgrade your security rating, but they'll certainly up it.

I killed one worker and they immediately upgraded my security from normal to max after they let me out of solitary..

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

xergm posted:

I don't know if they'll downgrade your security rating, but they'll certainly up it.

I killed one worker and they immediately upgraded my security from normal to max after they let me out of solitary..
That's weird, because I was surprised when I killed a few guards and got to stay normal when Administrator-Me would have chucked me into supermax so fast my head would spin.

Of course, my supermax schedule is "stare at a heavily reinforced door from your 2x2 cell for 20 hours a day while two armed guards sit outside", which makes escaping sort of difficult.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Trying to think up some new designs for my cell blocks, something that looks cool. Post pics of yours!

I'm also trying to figure out an overall arrangement of my prison. I think I'm going to split it into sectors depending on the security level, maybe with smaller cell blocks arranged around a yard / canteen with an education building nearby.

Share yours!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Escape Mode is cool and all, but they really need to make "Stop Fight" and "Surrender" on different buttons. I'm tired of hitting spacebar right as it magically changes from one to the other. :argh:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CapnAndy posted:

That's weird, because I was surprised when I killed a few guards and got to stay normal when Administrator-Me would have chucked me into supermax so fast my head would spin.

Of course, my supermax schedule is "stare at a heavily reinforced door from your 2x2 cell for 20 hours a day while two armed guards sit outside", which makes escaping sort of difficult.

What kind of candy-rear end coddling are you giving your supermax prisoners? That is 2 more hours and one (possibly two) more tile(s) of floor space than they deserve. I'll bet you give them windows, too. :mad:

I have never had a single supermax prisoner.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's actually a lot easier to coddle your supermax guys because the more stuff they have in their cell, the less time you need to actually let them out to satisfy their needs. You can even put stuff like prayer mats and phone booths in and they'll use them. Basically the less time they spend around other prisoners, the better.

Same goes for PC; I tend to use fairly similar designs for both my PC and supermax wings since the general concept for both is "these guys should never be allowed near other people at any point".

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I had a concept Supermax + PC wing. Didn't really work the way I wanted.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Its just a silly little thing I noticed during one of the dev videos, but when demoing the event where a bunch of dudes are marked for death, and talking about how you'd need to get these guys in PC asap, they switched one of the marked prisoners to Supermax instead. Pretty sure that guy wouldn't have lasted long.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dareon posted:

What kind of candy-rear end coddling are you giving your supermax prisoners? That is 2 more hours and one (possibly two) more tile(s) of floor space than they deserve. I'll bet you give them windows, too. :mad:

I have never had a single supermax prisoner.
Two two-hour meals per day. Supermax prisoners who act up during their meal breaks get 24 hour lockdown punishment and their meals brought to them in the cell.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's actually a lot easier to coddle your supermax guys because the more stuff they have in their cell, the less time you need to actually let them out to satisfy their needs. You can even put stuff like prayer mats and phone booths in and they'll use them. Basically the less time they spend around other prisoners, the better.

Same goes for PC; I tend to use fairly similar designs for both my PC and supermax wings since the general concept for both is "these guys should never be allowed near other people at any point".
See, now this is soft on supermax. They get a bed, a toilet, and a shower in a 2x2 cell with a Solitary Door on it and they get to deal with constant lockdown. gently caress their needs; if satisfying their needs kept them from acting up their asses wouldn't be in supermax.

PC on the other hand, I coddle like crazy. Their cells are the same as all the non-supermax cells (no window, bed, toilet, shower, tv, drain under the door) so that I don't raise the average cell quality and piss off all my non-PC prisoners, but they have their own separate airlocked-off section of the prison. It's tiny, but they still have a private canteen, chapel, library, and yard (complete with untapped phones so they can satisfy their Family needs) and their schedule is all Free Time. If you're ex-LEO or have cooperated with law enforcement I want to reward you.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
snitches get stiches eternal solitary.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Generation Internet posted:

I'd like to thank escape mode for making me appreciate how pretty fire is in this game.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FadedReality posted:

Yup, you'll get moved around if the prison supports it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Two two-hour meals per day. Supermax prisoners who act up during their meal breaks get 24 hour lockdown punishment and their meals brought to them in the cell.
See, now this is soft on supermax. They get a bed, a toilet, and a shower in a 2x2 cell with a Solitary Door on it and they get to deal with constant lockdown. gently caress their needs; if satisfying their needs kept them from acting up their asses wouldn't be in supermax.

PC on the other hand, I coddle like crazy. Their cells are the same as all the non-supermax cells (no window, bed, toilet, shower, tv, drain under the door) so that I don't raise the average cell quality and piss off all my non-PC prisoners, but they have their own separate airlocked-off section of the prison. It's tiny, but they still have a private canteen, chapel, library, and yard (complete with untapped phones so they can satisfy their Family needs) and their schedule is all Free Time. If you're ex-LEO or have cooperated with law enforcement I want to reward you.

In my prisons, ex cops and snitches live on the other side of the road. With no amenities and 24x7 Armed guard service.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

In my prisons, ex cops and snitches live on the other side of the road. With no amenities and 24x7 Armed guard service.

I do the same thing, except without the armed guards. They never tend to cause much trouble so I don't really need to keep them suppressed.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Okay, so how the flippin' 'ell do I get all the optional objectives for the last three chapters. I think Chapter 2 I can skip, since no cheev is tied to that.

Other than that, I'll give Escape a shot after making a prison.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Baloogan posted:

I do this. I just schedule their regime so they are never in the hallways or areas at the same time.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It took me a while but I managed to complete the last tutorial mission and build a pretty decent 100-person prison. Or at least I think it's pretty decent. There were a few fights here and there but nothing major. Only thing is I didn't bother with letting in max-security prisoners or separating classes or anything which I imagine was a mistake.

Here's what I had once I finished the optional objective. I'd appreciate any critique of things not to do next time I play.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

widespread posted:

Okay, so how the flippin' 'ell do I get all the optional objectives for the last three chapters. I think Chapter 2 I can skip, since no cheev is tied to that.

I'm not sure about the last chapter's optional objectives, as I've only had three prisoners released so far, but chapter 3 and 4's objectives weren't that hard to get, they mostly seemed to be a matter of "build some extra things", or "wait around a bit longer in the level".

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

I had one like this in my previous prison. It worked just fine, but it's such a hassle getting the prisoner regime and guard schedule right if it's anything beyond "Supermax eats at W, Y and PC eats at X, Z. Luckdown the rest".

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I find it hilarious that guards open staff-only doors for me.

I always assumed that certain rooms were off-limits (like the kennel or armory) and a guard would never knowingly let a prisoner in, as they don't have jobs in those rooms.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

No, they gotta be set manually as staff only. Unless you want your prisoners mopping the armoury I suppose

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've finally created something that didn't suck so much that I had to restart before I could sell.

Low-sec high-reform prison with several secure solutions, including metal detectors, surveillance cameras, patrol routes and chokepoints secured with automatic doors. Dog patrols and a trio of armed guards for exceptional circumstances. Important infrastructure well protected.

Boasts a reform rate of 20%, and great opportunities for important reform work. Can be yours for only $260,000!

Voyager I posted:

Security is a sheet of office paper taped to the front door with the words "No escapes after lights-out, please" printed on it uncentered.

Everyone complies.

A rapper here in Bergen, Norway actually escaped from custody two months ago, and got caught just today. From his description he asked for some fresh air, climbed a box of some kind in the yard, climbed to the roof of the police station and jumped down to street level.

He managed to preform at three or four clubs and give several interviews while on the loose in my tiny town. It's loving ridiculous.

Edit: He'd assaulted several people, rapping is not illegal in Norway.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 13, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Freedom++++++

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DeepQantas posted:

Freedom++++++

...is the status you get when surrounded by your favorite firearms and liquor smoking a cigar lit with cash moneys watching glen beck at maximum volume

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Escape Mode is hilarious as gently caress. I love getting a shitload of rep points by knocking a classroom over, maxing out my reputations, and then proceeding to hulk out of my cell and slaughter everything with my bare hands.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One of my prisoners came in with Ebola. This quickly spread and soon 73 of 113 prisoners were infected. In this screenshot I think ~250 are infected so it ramped up pretty quick. Like any good warden, I accepted all incoming prisoners, to keep my revenue up and avoid any revenue losses. It doesn't cost anything to ship dead bodies out of the prison, after-all.

It probably didn't help that my Admissions room shared space with my infirmary. Prisoners often were infected with Ebola before they even made it to their holding cell.

Eventually the virus load sort of stabilized at about 100 victims prisoners and the intake rate of ~45 a day allowed me a stable prison population. I used the constant influx of new prisoner cash to build up a sizable forestry production system and pretty much made the whole system self-sustaining.

Later I realized that they were all going back to the infirmary so I built a larger infirmary. Then I realized they were doing this during their free time. Apparently all sick inmates will go to the infirmary during their free time, which was about 70% of my population. I ended up building a gauntlet of metal detectors, with a mass of holding cells which solved the contraband problem for the most part.

Also somehow I got a second virus infection and the virus counter dropped off of my todo list.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Another win for the MSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
When the gently caress did communicable diseases become a thing.

• Locked thread