Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Lurdiak posted:

The entire time I was watching Beyond Thunderdome, I kept thinking that Grace Jones could play Tina Turner's role about 100 times better.

Did you realize that we live in a world where Grace Jones never played a Klingon? I mean gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Did you realize that we live in a world where Grace Jones never played a Klingon? I mean gently caress.

She woulda mopped the floor with a Klingon.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

She woulda mopped the floor with a Klingon.

No you're right I was being shortsighted and unconsciously racist, she would actually make a baller Vulcan.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

No you're right I was being shortsighted and unconsciously racist, she would actually make a baller Vulcan.

Romulan Star Empress

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

VideoTapir posted:

Some of them were inexperienced, but apparently Hugh Keays Byrne was kind of a big deal. And he and the guys playing the gang were pretty loving serious about it.

http://io9.com/stories-from-the-sets-of-mad-max-the-road-warrior-1702490722

https://youtu.be/lUn6ViBn79g

Yeah, Hugh Keays-Byrne did Shakespeare and stuff, he was Serious Business. I love him, he's the best Shakespearean biker grandad ever. The behind-the-scenes getting into character they did and that Miller arranged for them was amazing. That second video and ones like it where they talk about how much animosity was developed between the "Bronze" and the bikies is great. The specifics of the relationships between some of the bikies and their history was also developed to a great extent by the actors, though IIRC the relationship between Toecutter and Johnny was there from Miller's original idea - and curiously, not to make them Evil Gay Bikies From Hell, but because he wanted to humanise them a bit and show they could still care for other people. :kimchi: (Whether it came off this way or not is a different matter entirely.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How the gently caress do you watch the original Mad max and not love the original chase scene with the Nightrider and everything with Toecutter? I mean, say what you want about the film as a whole, Toecutter is loving amazing and that first chase scene is super dope.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Bubba Zanetti was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rdcziRx2WQ

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

How the gently caress do you watch the original Mad max and not love the original chase scene with the Nightrider and everything with Toecutter? I mean, say what you want about the film as a whole, Toecutter is loving amazing and that first chase scene is super dope.

Perhaps it was the result of an anxiety.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MonsieurChoc posted:

Either too young or not very well-versed in film. Or the worst thing ever: both at the same time.

"Mom, why isn't this action movie smashing my idiot brain with cgi robot fights? This is boring. I'm gonna go gently caress a dragon dildo on reddit."

Or whatever it is the kids say these days.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Mad max was a drama punctuated with some action. Road warrior was an action movie punctuated with drama. Thunderdome was...something.

Fury road is all of the above simultaneously, and in the same quantity, compressed into one film.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got the Blu ray as a late birthday present yesterday. I like that the first feature on it is "how we crashed all this poo poo"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MonsieurChoc posted:

It remains legitimately one of the coolest chase sequences ever and ends with an insane one-in-a-million stunt.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The slow build-up to Max finally joining the chase, with the previous guys failing to stop the Night Rider, as the tension keeps rising. Hell of an introduction.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Did I watch some neutered version or something? The one that I saw wasn't that violent, I purchased it on youtube and I've just found out there was the original and the American version (the American version is not as good from what I've read)

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Despite the dire setting and the horrific things that happen to people, the movies were never particularly gory, both due to the rating boards and Miller not being much of a gorehound.

It's kinda great! Proves you don't need horrible violence to make a good exploitation film.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Miller's restraint with gore is really impressive considering how brutal the Mad Max movies can be. He's skilled enough to convey over-the-top violence without shlocky fake blood splashing everywhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Did I watch some neutered version or something? The one that I saw wasn't that violent, I purchased it on youtube and I've just found out there was the original and the American version (the American version is not as good from what I've read)

Was the Night Rider a fuel-injected suicide machine in your version?

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

The only difference is the dialogue. Apparently they didn't think americans could understand the strange tongue of the australians.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zartosht posted:

The only difference is the dialogue. Apparently they didn't think americans could understand the strange tongue of the australians.

They were absolutely right.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I have to admit when I recently watched the original Mad Max I had trouble getting into it because of the pacing. There are a lot of really cool scenes and ideas but the overall product didn't really jell together for me until the last 15 minutes when Max really gets "mad" and takes out the gang. In particular I found the way his wife gets chased, then rescued, then chased again, then killed to be a little bit tedious. That stuff could have been compressed a lot. Then again, maybe that scene would have played differently if I didn't already know how it turns out.

The movie featured someone being burned alive, someone losing their hand, a gang rape, multiple violent vehicular homicides, and a scene where somebody is given the choice between burning alive or sawing off their own arm.

Violence doesn't just mean 'gore'. Especially if you're dealing with somebody who doesn't regularly consume violent media then that ending scene of Mad Max could be really unsettling even though you're shown almost nothing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Helsing posted:

The movie featured someone being burned alive, someone losing their hand, a gang rape, multiple violent vehicular homicides, and a scene where somebody is given the choice between burning alive or sawing off their own arm.

Violence doesn't just mean 'gore'. Especially if you're dealing with somebody who doesn't regularly consume violent media then that ending scene of Mad Max could be really unsettling even though you're shown almost nothing.

burned alive = implied, nothing too violent just knowledge that something bad happened to goose.
Gang rape= obviously awful but still implied, nothing shown.
vehicular homicides = yeah pretty violent but mostly quick cuts before you see anything too gross
hand saw = implied, nothing was shown.
At least this was the case with what I watched, like it's been said on this page you didn't need to see someone being burned alive or having their hand cut off, to focus on that too much would be missing the point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Helsing posted:

I have to admit when I recently watched the original Mad Max I had trouble getting into it because of the pacing. There are a lot of really cool scenes and ideas but the overall product didn't really jell together for me until the last 15 minutes when Max really gets "mad" and takes out the gang. In particular I found the way his wife gets chased, then rescued, then chased again, then killed to be a little bit tedious. That stuff could have been compressed a lot. Then again, maybe that scene would have played differently if I didn't already know how it turns out.

The hand saw scene in Mad Max is what inspired the first Saw movie (another movie that shows quite a bit of restraint in its gore, even if the sequels didn't follow suit).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

burned alive = implied, nothing too violent just knowledge that something bad happened to goose.
Gang rape= obviously awful but still implied, nothing shown.
vehicular homicides = yeah pretty violent but mostly quick cuts before you see anything too gross
hand saw = implied, nothing was shown.
At least this was the case with what I watched, like it's been said on this page you didn't need to see someone being burned alive or having their hand cut off, to focus on that too much would be missing the point.

That's how Mad Max has traditionally worked. The vast majority of the violence is kept offscreen and either only implied to occur after a scene change or is hard to see. Fury Road is the most openly violent of the series and it still cuts away after fractions of a second for the openly bloody injuries, while most of the dead disappear into a cloud of dust or out of frame before you can see what becomes of them.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
By the way, people keep mentioning awesome movies et cetera here's one of a vaguely similar vintage. Please watch it. Sight unseen, even. Walter Hill, 20-year-old Diane Lane, I grew up on poo poo like this, I'm watching it now, rock-a-billy and greaser, Willem Dafoe in PVC waders and the end fight is (honourably) two dudes fighting with sledgehammers. Also Jim Steinman.

Please watch. You don't like it, we have nothing to discuss.

Rock n Roll fables for life.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Streets of Fire is amazing, especially if you like Meatloaf's music. It's has Rick Moranis in a non-comedic role and the movie doesn't have near the reputation it should.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm surprised that movie has never been adapted into a stage show. Singing gangs. Nostalgia tunes. Outlandish costumes and sets. It would make so much money.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I can already picture Humungus coming onstage and knocking them dead with his hit solo piece, "Just Walk Away."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

The hand saw scene in Mad Max is what inspired the first Saw movie (another movie that shows quite a bit of restraint in its gore, even if the sequels didn't follow suit).

Don't forget that part in original comic for "Watchmen". Although I'm sure that's more of an unattributed inspiration for that scene, since I don't think Moore made it known if that is a homage to Mad Max.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait, do you mean the prison scene? That doesn't quite seem similar enough to me, and also the limb removal was something the movie added.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Wait, do you mean the prison scene? That doesn't quite seem similar enough to me, and also the limb removal was something the movie added.

No, the scene were Rorschach corners the kidnapper who feed his hostage to his dogs. In the comic, he ends up handcuffing him to a furnace and giving him a hand saw before setting the place on fire. He even mentions that to not bother with cutting the cuffs.

Fake edit: couldn't find it before, but here's the scene...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that. The movie's version where he just hacks the guy to death with a meat cleaver pretty much superseded it in my memory.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm surprised that movie has never been adapted into a stage show. Singing gangs. Nostalgia tunes. Outlandish costumes and sets. It would make so much money.

Good news everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaodYSWU0Aw

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I was referring to Streets of Fire, which is totally a Broadway hit waiting to happen (You'd probably lose the exploding motorcycles in the adaption, but you'd get a few more Jim Steinman or Stevie Nicks tunes in exchange).

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 6, 2015

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Isn't the hand saw thing just an urban legend of the "you know what we do to yore kind round here boy" sort? Referenced in Mad Max along with the slightly more well-known urban legend "and then when they got home there was a bloody hook hanging from the car door". I don't think Mad Max invented either of those, they've been urban legends for at least fifty years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that. The movie's version where he just hacks the guy to death with a meat cleaver pretty much superseded it in my memory.

That movie sucks so bad.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Network Pesci posted:

Isn't the hand saw thing just an urban legend of the "you know what we do to yore kind round here boy" sort? Referenced in Mad Max along with the slightly more well-known urban legend "and then when they got home there was a bloody hook hanging from the car door". I don't think Mad Max invented either of those, they've been urban legends for at least fifty years.

The bloody hook story is fairly different. Using a saw to prevent your untimely death vs getting dragged off by your hook.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That movie sucks so bad.

I can forgive a lot of what it did but the idea of glorifying vigilante violence and/or portraying any of the characters as even slightly heroic in a Watchmen movie I mean lol.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

LingcodKilla posted:

The bloody hook story is fairly different. Using a saw to prevent your untimely death vs getting dragged off by your hook.

No, I'm talking about when the guy hits the car with the chain then when Max's wife gets into the woods there's a bloody hand still hanging off the car (and with a live stuntman attached to the hand if you look closely). That's practically the hook story.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Saw the B&W cut of the movie and it's loving rad as hell.

:perfect:

• Locked thread