Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trihugger posted:

Haruhi Suzumiya would be a good example of a chuuni, though I can't recall if the term ever gets used in that series. Owain/Odin in the last two Fire Emblem games is a more recent example. Anybody acting like they are a Silver Age comic book hero or one of the Superfriends would probably be seen as a chuuni in modern anime.

I don't think chuuni was a term in wide use at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Trihugger posted:

Haruhi Suzumiya would be a good example of a chuuni, though I can't recall if the term ever gets used in that series. Owain/Odin in the last two Fire Emblem games is a more recent example. Anybody acting like they are a Silver Age comic book hero or one of the Superfriends would probably be seen as a chuuni in modern anime.

Haruhi actually has those powers, though.

Kuroki Tomoko, in Watamote, is more like this. She intensely looks down on her peer group, which she scorns for being childish pop culture-obsessed idiots, while at the same time living in a vibrant fantasy world in which her anti-social behavior is actually training to make her really attractive and popular. She's a bit different from the chuuni standard in that all of this behavior is internal- she tries to fool herself into believing these fantasies, rather than attempting to rope others into it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It doesn't matter whether you actually do or don't have powers if chuuni is in your heart.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Haruhi was one of the inspirations and precursors to the modern chuuni concept, as such makes her a terrible example of what a chuuni is, since she has qualities that are both very chuuni and the exact opposite.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's mainly the charisma, egotism and power trips.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It doesn't matter whether you actually do or don't have powers if chuuni is in your heart.

yeah

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

It's mainly the charisma, egotism and power trips.

"charisma"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shukaro posted:

"charisma"

Unwarranted sense of self worth

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Steins;Gate is a hella fun show that you should watch, and the MC is a pretty decent (if older-than-average) introduction to what a chuuni is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wb

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Bad Seafood was kind enough to offer to pre-screen all monster girl fanart before I post it to make sure I don't post anything inappropriate again. He didn't explicitly say this offer was open to everyone, but it was implied. So everybody, if you see a nice piece of monster girl art, run it by Bad Seafood and then post it itt!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Do you think it's moral for monster girls to go to the zoo? It's a bit hosed up to me

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Do you think it's moral for monster girls to go to the zoo? It's a bit hosed up to me

that's racist

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Smoking Crow posted:

Monster girls aren't animals, goddamn dude

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

boom boom boom posted:

Monster girls aren't animals, goddamn dude

I don't think it's moral to view apes, chimps and monkeys, how is this different

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Monster girls are people, weirdo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't think it's moral to view apes, chimps and monkeys, how is this different

You don't think it's moral to look at a marmoset?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

more importantly, is it moral to look at a cute monster girl

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

vkeios posted:

more importantly, is it moral to look at a cute monster girl

absolutely

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

boom boom boom posted:

You don't think it's moral to look at a marmoset?

Because they are close to us, evolutionarily.

Thinking about it, I would have to reserve judgement until I see how monster girls evolved

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Bad Seafood was kind enough to offer to pre-screen all monster girl fanart before I post it to make sure I don't post anything inappropriate again. He didn't explicitly say this offer was open to everyone, but it was implied. So everybody, if you see a nice piece of monster girl art, run it by Bad Seafood and then post it itt!

As a good poster I can safely decline this help

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

Because they are close to us, evolutionarily.

Thinking about it, I would have to reserve judgement until I see how monster girls evolved

In the thread full of dudes who want to gently caress half animal people you're the weirdo, think about that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Never a follow-up where they unhinged their jaw to consume the giant piece of food.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

That's my wifu now.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Likes sushi? Check! Has a nice bod? Check! Is a snake person? Checked as all hell!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i'd think most people would be hesitant about waifus they could accidentally pulverize with an idle arm movement

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

[E/N] Accidentally stepped on wife getting out of the bath, feel terrible

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

great job, snake

age hasn't slowed you down one bit

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mai daughteru

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

While those seem to be thick heels, I don't think they're practical footwear for anyone intending to fight with a sword, let alone a monoeye.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if a monoeye wears glasses is it called a glass or a monocle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You call her a nerd! A two-eyes!

• Locked thread