Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[Edit: heh, that's odd, I made sure that my phone was at 100% and then rebooted it so the test would be from a cold boot... but when it rebooted it was at 97%. Don't think I've seen that happen with any phone I've ever owned. Phone was plugged in the whole time, too]
[/quote]

It's not good for the battery to be continually drawing a charge from the wall when fully powered; the phone when plugged in will vary between 95% and 100%, but report all as 100% while plugged in (initial charge to 100% not withstanding). It's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Inside Outside posted:

Okay, this is driving me insane. Ever since yesterday's update every single time text I send out of iMessage gets sent as an SMS instead of an iMessage. I've tried restarting the phone and disconnecting and reconnecting to iMessage, neither of which has worked. Everything I'm finding relating to this on Google is from two or more years ago. I'm on a 6s Plus, if that makes any difference.

The reason to use Whatsapp in a nutshell.

For what it's worth, standard attempt to fix is:
- turn off iMessage
- log out of iCloud
- reboot
- enable iMessage
- wait a short while

After that it usually starts working.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaizoku posted:

It's not good for the battery to be continually drawing a charge from the wall when fully powered; the phone when plugged in will vary between 95% and 100%, but report all as 100% while plugged in (initial charge to 100% not withstanding). It's a good thing.

Ah, so even though it said it was 100% when I went to reboot it it was actually 97%. Makes sense, I suppose.

Just over two hours in and I'm at 53% on the geek bench test (Screen dimming enabled). I didn't turn off background sync or anything like that, so that might explain as to why it looks like I'm not gonna hit even the 6 hour mark. I don't know if other people who ran the test enabled low power mode when that came around, but I figure I'll just let it run while I do other stuff and if it enables it then whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inside Outside posted:

Okay, this is driving me insane. Ever since yesterday's update every single time text I send out of iMessage gets sent as an SMS instead of an iMessage. I've tried restarting the phone and disconnecting and reconnecting to iMessage, neither of which has worked. Everything I'm finding relating to this on Google is from two or more years ago. I'm on a 6s Plus, if that makes any difference.

Holy shut I'm getting this too on my 5S. Seems to be only messages to my GF but it's causing big problems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I apparently have a Samsung (according the Lirum app) and my battery life is much better than my 6, so whatever.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Khablam posted:

The reason to use Whatsapp in a nutshell.

For what it's worth, standard attempt to fix is:
- turn off iMessage
- log out of iCloud
- reboot
- enable iMessage
- wait a short while

After that it usually starts working.

So after suffering a brief heart attack when I thought I accidentally deleted five years worth of pictures and videos by signing out of iCloud (they're still showing up on iCloud.com, whew), is there any way to actually view those pictures on my phone like I used to be able to?

e: They're trickling back in on their own, thank god. At least now I don't care what color my text bubbles are, what a scary five minutes that was.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 7, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is why you should back up everything to something OTHER than iCloud.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Use Google Photos

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is why you should back up everything to something OTHER than iCloud.

I've had iCloud device backups fail twice this year. Once this week, restoring onto a new 6S I lost data from some apps but not others (including my complete iMessage/SMS history).

The one earlier this year was far stranger though: I woke up one morning and found my touchscreen wouldn't respond in the bottom half of the display while on the keypad unlock screen. The "swipe to unlock" worked fine, but it would lock up the device as soon as I entered the first digit of my passcode. I took it into Apple and wiped the device in-store which resolved the issue, then dumbfounded the Geniuses when restoring my iCloud backup brought the problem back. I've no idea why the backup includes data that can so fundamentally screw up the system (I'd never been jailbroken), but it meant that I couldn't get at my data and had to start fresh.

On both occasions I lost probably the most important data on my phone, my financial records - not really critical and just something I obsess over, but more important than game saves etc. First time round I actually rescued the database file from the backup on my Mac, but found that the app had been removed from the store so it was useless anyway. This time the new app I use was one that fell foul of the iCloud backup roulette and lost all its data for no apparent reason.

I've restored from iCloud probably more often than most people due to being an iOS developer, and to be fair it's only gone wrong twice, but that's twice too many. I really don't get how Apple can push a backup solution and yet Geniuses fall back on "wipe and don't restore your data" so quickly. It'd be far easier to swallow if there was a way to cherry pick data to restore rather than all or nothing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

To be honest, the whole process seems so buggy at the moment that once I upgrade from my 5S I'll probably just start the phone from scratch.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Froist posted:

I really don't get how Apple can push a backup solution and yet Geniuses fall back on "wipe and don't restore your data" so quickly. It'd be far easier to swallow if there was a way to cherry pick data to restore rather than all or nothing.

I 100% accept that there's configuration info in the backup image that could be making a phone act flaky. Especially when there are probably a lot of people who have "brain transplanted" their data from a 2007 iPhone all the way forward to a 6s by way of backups. But yeah, they really need to overhaul the backup so you can selectively backup/restore things like text messages, the camera roll, etc.

A couple years ago my wife's iPhone was flaking out (the prox sensor decided not to work) so we backed it up and took it to the store. Dude says "oh that's most likely a hardware problem, did you back it up?" Then he plugs the phone in for diagnostics to get the work order started, abruptly changes his mind, and said do a wipe without restoring anything from the backup. We asked if that would conclusively solve the prox sensor problem which he so confidently said was a hardware issue before. "Maybe, maybe not, bring it back if it's still a problem."

She was pissed.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I'm coming back to iOS from Android, and looking for a case. I used to have a 4s, and used a case by Speck called fitted.

The canvas back was available with lots of different designs, and I remember it fondly.

They don't make it any longer for the 6s plus, and I've not been able to find anything similar except for the Native Union Click 360. This looks OK, but I hate the leather label, it costs the same as the apple leather case, and some of the reviews aren't great (ilounge).

Any other options for a nice grippy, canvas material backed case for a 6s plus?

Failing anything better, I'll get an apple leather case.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GutBomb posted:

You guys are giving access to your phone to someone who makes malware simply to see who manufactured some component of your phone to see if you have some "problem" you haven't noticed yet.

I used the app that's in the app store. No way in hell I'd use that other thing that was posted. That's why I posted the safe option.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

wooger posted:

I'm coming back to iOS from Android, and looking for a case. I used to have a 4s, and used a case by Speck called fitted.

The canvas back was available with lots of different designs, and I remember it fondly.

They don't make it any longer for the 6s plus, and I've not been able to find anything similar except for the Native Union Click 360. This looks OK, but I hate the leather label, it costs the same as the apple leather case, and some of the reviews aren't great (ilounge).

Get the leather case.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

wooger posted:

Don't get the leather case, get this one

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

This is the one I have. I went into the store thinking I was gonna get the brown, but holy poo poo the blue is awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saddle brown is the second best after orange silicone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I actually tried linking to the black one but I hosed up

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does the white silicone case start attracting dirt and look nasty?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Apple leather.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Does the white silicone case start attracting dirt and look nasty?

Nope. Until mine fell apart, it was as white as the day I got it. Even being in my back jeans pocket frequently didn't stain it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Samsung'd 6s battery report: Forgot to disable WiFi calling, battery died after four hours. Decided to leave battery testing to the professionals.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I was happy with my phone, now thanks to a line of text in a Chinese app, I'm sad.

:negative:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

noirstronaut posted:

Yup, oddly that's the exact one I've ordered now!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

OK, I really dig the white silicone on the white-faced phone. Looks nice.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

OK, I really dig the white silicone on the white-faced phone. Looks nice.

your home screen is giving me an anuerism

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Please keep looking at it for the benefit of this forum.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Augh I didn't know there was a 6 (6S?) case in saddle brown. I want dat. I'm OUTTA HERE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's new this year. Last year's brown was olive brown.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Please keep looking at it for the benefit of this forum.

Cool man.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you got owned as hell

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Are amazon lightning cables still recommended or are the Apple branded ones the only good option out there?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Amazon ones are great. The plastic around the connector is slightly larger than the Apple one, though. So make sure you have a wide enough opening if you use a case.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Oh goodness, this woman has some angry Nicholas Cage level crazy eyes during the entire interview.

https://twitter.com/ReutersTV/status/651818054272335873 0:30 if you're inpatient

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Looking at another's person's iPhone icon layout drives me crazy (I know keep looking). I am so use to all my icons being in the order that I've had them in for years (well at least the major ones) I'm confused when using another person's phone.

Serious but stupid question why do people keep the 'iMessage' app in the top right corner? The app tray at bottom is always for my most used apps (call, iMessage, safari, music), and it seems like everyone would put the iMessage app there. I know stupid question, and everyone is different.

Endless Mike posted:

Saddle brown is the second best after orange silicone.

The orange silicone case is the best, but I am tempted by the saddle brown case.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 8, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

nate fisher posted:

Looking at another's person's iPhone icon layout drives me crazy (I know keep looking). I am so use to all my icons being in the order that I've had them in for years (well at least the major ones) I'm confused when using another person's phone.

Serious but stupid question why do people keep the 'iMessage' app in the top right corner? The app tray at bottom is always for my most used apps (call, iMessage, safari, music), and it seems like everyone would put the iMessage app there. I know stupid question.

The orange silicone case is the best, but I am tempted by the saddle brown case.
Because that's where it defaults at and most people are used to it there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Amazon ones are great. The plastic around the connector is slightly larger than the Apple one, though. So make sure you have a wide enough opening if you use a case.

I like the monoprice ones. They have 6 foot cables as an option and they loving own.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
iBooks and iTunes are being weird. It keeps copying over every single book on each sync, which adds on an extra minute to my sync, and I have no idea why. :iiam:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 8, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

I like the monoprice ones. They have 6 foot cables as an option and they loving own.

The plastic connectors are also the same size as the apple ones so they're a great choice if you have finicky cases or connectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I like the Anker and Insignia (Best Buy brand) cables. They're both sturdier than Apple cables. Generally MFi Lightning cables are cheap now so just buy a bunch.