Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

hopterque posted:

But world of tanks' competitive balance is garbage, and saying that the population of this game is people who "couldn't handle world of tanks" is pretty stupid. The population is pretty largely people who used to like world of tanks and want a game like it but not designed by insane funhating morons looking to make as much money ripping off idiots as possible.. That's the category I fall under. It's also an extra funny attitude to have since quite a few players from the major 'good' clans in WoT are, if not permanently switching because there's no clan focused gameplay yet, definitely out and about in game and I'd say the average level of player skill right now is significantly higher than the average world of tanks match, although this is definitely a side effect of still having to pay to play the game until thursday.

Let me back off from that statement I made as hyperbole. I enjoy Armored Warfare and based that overbroad statement on the context of the general dipshit level of person threatening Wargaming about leaving WOT for AW on the WOT forums, and also from what I saw on the AW forums - which I will likely never visit again, or at least not for a long, long time. It wasn't entirely fair to equate all players with those screamers.

Edit: seriously I can sometimes be a dick when I do not mean to be one, and sometimes typing words rather than saying them in person changes the message from its intended form. Either case could apply here.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Sheridan is stupidly fun. poo poo on people at long range with missiles, poo poo on people with giant HEAT megaderp at close range.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to use regular HE shells over Rocket-assisted HE shells in artillery? It seems like a straight upgrade in every way.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You guys should get the BMD1. The gun is really good, it's superfast and you can do some crazy skillshots with the missile launcher. Behind a hill, top down attacks and stuff.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Michaellaneous posted:

You guys should get the BMD1. The gun is really good, it's superfast and you can do some crazy skillshots with the missile launcher. Behind a hill, top down attacks and stuff.

I got one, it certainly is all kinds of fun. But than I have a hard time finding a vehicle that isn't really fun.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
I love the fast little bastard tanks with autocannons (and later missiles?). Do all the missiles require you to be stationary when firing? I'm on the XM800T so haven't gotten too much missile time yet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am pretty sure yes, you have to remain stationary to fire them but once fired you may move. I think there is a commander out there that reduce the wait time before you can fire your missile.

Also agreeing, the FOX looks like the fun time having scooter in this game.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 6, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Raged posted:

Ok everyone. Sit down this may shock you. Obsidian just posted this

I know we are not used to devs actually changing things in tank games but here we are in a brave new world. Playing high tier tanks and not having to worry about going broke and getting there quicker :swoon::woop:

Wait, what the gently caress?! Are they actually looking at the data plus player feedback and trying to improve poo poo for the players? What is this poo poo?! This is bullshit, I demand they change it back and make this absolutely miserable for everyone and using the data to get the opposite results. gently caress this improving nonsense, we want misery you sons of bitches!!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I have absolutely no reason to buy this stupid hitpoint-based game, and no reason to poo poo out eighty bucks just so I can get an MBT-70, but now I've done it and gently caress YOU, Games forum, for selling this turkey when all the promotional materials made by the company couldn't.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

$70 for a terminator is more than a fair price.

VV Same : /

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 7, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BadLlama posted:

$70 for a terminator is more than a fair price.

The zhalo, MBT, Exped tank and termie are legitimately fun and good.

Send help it's me the whale.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Make sure you try to make your missiles swerve up and then down into people's roofs or into their sides. It's hard to do but pulling it off is very rewarding.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

-Troika- posted:

Make sure you try to make your missiles swerve up and then down into people's roofs or into their sides. It's hard to do but pulling it off is very rewarding.

Wonder if they'll do top-atteck missiles for the last 2 tiers of vehicles that do that automatically?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I just had a 13:0 loss in which I had the highest damage and second-highest xp on my team. As arty. :shepicide:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Magni posted:

So, I just had a 13:0 loss in which I had the highest damage and second-highest xp on my team. As arty. :shepicide:

A. did you make credits and
2. did you earn a lot of XP regardless of the loss

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Trying to win a 5v1 game and all I see in chat is loving CHAI snipers can't win in a real tank game. Christ this is the greatest tag ever.

I just tried to drive over a tank corpse blocking a route and it did 800 crushing damage to me and killed me when I was on top of it :(

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 7, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

demonR6 posted:

A. did you make credits and
2. did you earn a lot of XP regardless of the loss

Somewhat. XP and credit earnings for arty seem to be kinda poo poo compared to everything else. I also rakc up way less damage with it simply becuase it's so rare to score full-on hits against anyone not completely braindead.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder if they'll do top-atteck missiles for the last 2 tiers of vehicles that do that automatically?

The swingfire sort of does it depending on the range of engagement. If you are closer, the missiles go straight up and back down. Further away and it functions mostly like a normal missile.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Dramicus posted:

The swingfire sort of does it depending on the range of engagement. If you are closer, the missiles go straight up and back down. Further away and it functions mostly like a normal missile.

They did a good job regarding trajectories (albeit there are some other issues regarding disappearing shells and what not, but still). Running the M109 on Onyx (PvE) gives a great example of the kinds of trajectories the rounds have depending on distance. On the first Cap Zone, when firing close, you tend to have a very small and more oval target shape. Mid range, it gets more elongated and oval still and at max range, when shooting all the way to the end of the map, you pretty much have a perfect circle as a target reticle.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

BadLlama posted:

I am pretty sure yes, you have to remain stationary to fire them but once fired you may move. I think there is a commander out there that reduce the wait time before you can fire your missile.

Also agreeing, the FOX looks like the fun time having scooter in this game.

Yeah. Rashid Al-Atassi off the Sheridan. His second skill is a 10% bonus to either ATGM reload or to missile ready time.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
So, servers down for 5 hours to patch. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like this patch will put in the progression rebalance. Did they say anything about just when that'll pop in?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They did put up a post about Chinese MBTs, so that's interesting. No time table yet though. Early tanks seems to be variations of the T-54 / T-62 and then we get into Chinese frankentank territory with the Typ 80/85/88 and finally 96 / 99 (maybe MBT-3000 for tier 10).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got a free founders pack yesterday from Gamespot, so i'm a happy clam that has been playing this a bit. It's a fun game but it's absolutely just World of Tanks with a modern day skin over it and not anywhere near as balanced because this game just launched. That said I played WoT for like three years, so I see myself playing this for a long time too. Armored Warfare seems way more generous about money and experience too.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Let me back off from that statement I made as hyperbole. I enjoy Armored Warfare and based that overbroad statement on the context of the general dipshit level of person threatening Wargaming about leaving WOT for AW on the WOT forums, and also from what I saw on the AW forums - which I will likely never visit again, or at least not for a long, long time. It wasn't entirely fair to equate all players with those screamers.

Edit: seriously I can sometimes be a dick when I do not mean to be one, and sometimes typing words rather than saying them in person changes the message from its intended form. Either case could apply here.

I didn't get that vibe and I realized where you were going. I do genuinely enjoy this game more than WoT right now, mostly due to WoT just being on my gaming shitlist for a while. I played WoT from Beta until about a month after PANZY was created. I think I just hung in waiting for the next non-playerhating update that never came. Then I realized that most matches were dictated by XVM. Having non-poo poo winrate meant that I was going to be the focus of every pub with the minimum brain capacity to throw some stat-tracking files into their directory, and that the pubs on my team were never going to exploit that gap, and never going to just get enemy tanks off the field that needed to be. I felt like I was just constantly being punished by playing it, whether it came to the heinous grind or the lack of incentive for pubs to just get out and fight. The Goons became toxic as all hell, too. I couldn't take another night of screeching over TS and :smuggo: "I just got chatbanned for telling this scrub to go kill himself" posts.

I'm sure we're all sick of WoT vs. AW talk, so I'll stop. I finally got a new rig that can run this game on Ultra with no frame drops and an added benefit of better internet. I'm currently trying to get back to my Chieftain ASAP. That tank just clicked so well for me in the earlier stages, and I had a lot of fun with it. I definitely agree that I'm not really excited for when the game is finally free access, though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Everyone should get a BMP-2, no questions just do it.

Plan Z posted:

:smuggo: "I just got chatbanned for telling this scrub to go kill himself" posts.

:getout:

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

I have 1100 gold from the preorder thing and don't intend to pick up any more, is the AMX-10P 90 a good use of that, or should I just hang onto it for more premium time later on?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ndub posted:

I have 1100 gold from the preorder thing and don't intend to pick up any more, is the AMX-10P 90 a good use of that, or should I just hang onto it for more premium time later on?

The AMX-10P 90 is a drat good tank and if you have no premiums I would definitely recommend getting it. With Sniper bonus up you can fling HEAT rounds that hit for 400+ every sub 5 seconds.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Plan Z posted:

The Goons became toxic as all hell, too. I couldn't take another night of screeching over TS and :smuggo: "I just got chatbanned for telling this scrub to go kill himself" posts.

It's almost like goons are really awful.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

well this 500 damage heat poo poo sure is a war crime

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, so far the Ioannis Sanna+arty experiment isn't going well. Got the Gvosdika up to proven status now without setting a single fire in 26 matches - the problem is his skill only works for engine fires and you need penetrating hits for that. Arty doesn't get those much. However, combinng his anti-materiel explosives skill and the loader skill for extra moduel damage seems to work pretty well - I'm blowing off tracks and optics and damaging guns a lot.

Also, here's nothing funnier than shotgunning a wheeled TD that's screaming down the road at over 100 km/h at you. The sheer pubbie rage it created the two times I pulled it of so far was something to behold.

ndub posted:

well this 500 damage heat poo poo sure is a war crime
Which one? T-72, Starship or Sheridan?

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

The AMXp90 whatever, I shot someone else playing the same tank for 496 and started laughing instead of reversing into cover

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

By the time someone decides to shoot at you in that tank you can have already dished out 1,000 damage. Then you move and do it again.

If I see any enemy one that I can shoot at I will stop shooting whatever else I am shooting at to make sure that rear end in a top hat loses some HP for firing.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Magni posted:

So, so far the Ioannis Sanna+arty experiment isn't going well. Got the Gvosdika up to proven status now without setting a single fire in 26 matches - the problem is his skill only works for engine fires and you need penetrating hits for that. Arty doesn't get those much. However, combinng his anti-materiel explosives skill and the loader skill for extra moduel damage seems to work pretty well - I'm blowing off tracks and optics and damaging guns a lot.

Ah, that's too bad, but it does make sense.

On a different note:

Yaaaaas YAAAAS TERMITE!

It was glorious. By far the best battle i've had in PvE, which, combined with the 2x and 1.25x Daily Bonus is just downright sexy.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I love artillery. It's really fun to play. My only problem is that I feel like I'm not adequately rewarded as I am limited to just dealing damage.

In this game I got #2 in damage...

...but #7 in total XP.

It all seems to be because of spotting XP. Perhaps once I get illumination rounds at tier 6 this will all change, though. If that's the case then this is purely a problem that plagues low tier artillery. I hope so.

Anyway, at the moment artillery is hellish to "grind" because you make about 25-40% less experience than everyone else (who performs similarly), so that means you have to play 25-40% more games than everyone else to get to the next tier (actually, probably more since the T6 arty is the next after T4).

Arty still fun-as-gently caress, and I encourage everyone to try it, even if you hated artillery in WoT (I sure-as-hell did), so the grind doesn't feel like a grind.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

ndub posted:

The AMXp90 whatever, I shot someone else playing the same tank for 496 and started laughing instead of reversing into cover

I didn't have HEAT unlocked yet in my T-62, so I shot APDS at one of those for 238 damage. He then shot me for 426 :(.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Darkmoon2k posted:

I love artillery. It's really fun to play.

Arty still fun-as-gently caress

I dunno. It's not as terrible as it is in WoT, but compared to all the other tanks in the game fun seems to be stretching it a bit.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Let me rephrase. It's fun-as-gently caress after slamming my T-72A's face against XM-1's all day. I'd equate my current MBT grind to shoving a pencil in my dick.

With that said, here's a fancy cheat sheet on how to penetrate a XM-1.

...and how to penetrate the T-72A:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah the match up against the XM-1 does not seem very well balanced at all.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Throw in the Leo 2AV and the MBT-70 into that weak spot comparison and it becomes clear that the XM-1 should probably be at tier 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I'm really, really enjoying that even the slowest tank in the game so far seems to be about IS speed which is a nice aspect.

• Locked thread