Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Triss also bakes. Can't go without cake and tasty bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Shockeh posted:

Genuinely started to effort post in reply, then realised Oh God This Is A Rabbit Hole.

tl;dr - My Geralt feels sympathy for her, but doesn't feel in the wrong, and making him chase her all over the loving world because he should infer everything all the time when Yenn could have fixed it at any time is why he's dumping her for Triss.

Well, to be fair, she could just as easily reply that she couldn't resolve the problem because she got written out of the story because the writers of W1 didn't like her.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

JaucheCharly posted:

Triss also bakes. Can't go without cake and tasty bread.

Counterpoint:
Unicorn Sex.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm always kind of offended when anyone picks Triss over Yen. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. I mean, why would you do that? Why? She's okay but beyond helping her out I just can't imagine anything more. Yen is supreme.

I take Witchfus very seriously alright

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Genuinely started to effort post in reply, then realised Oh God This Is A Rabbit Hole.

tl;dr - My Geralt feels sympathy for her, but doesn't feel in the wrong, and making him chase her all over the loving world because he should infer everything all the time when Yenn could have fixed it at any time is why he's dumping her for Triss.
Well, sure, but pressing the point when she tells you to drop it isn't great either. You could just drop it and move on, accepting that she is hurt as gently caress but will get over it, but no, you had to try to get her to say that she was totes cool with it. Getting dumped in the lake is avoidable by not being a dick.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Teleporting Geralt over the lake was funny

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Teleporting Geralt over the lake was funny

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm always kind of offended when anyone picks Triss over Yen. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. I mean, why would you do that? Why? She's okay but beyond helping her out I just can't imagine anything more. Yen is supreme.

She your bottom bitch and got rockin titties

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

mcbexx posted:

Counterpoint:
Unicorn Sex.

Dude, you probably have no idea what the unicorns would do if they found out that people are having sex on a stuffed one of theirs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would choose Yen over Triss but I'd understand him getting together with Triss too. It's like he's moving on. She's different, he's not connected to her through Ciri and she brings a different vibe to his life. It's a sort of dad's-new-younger-girlfriend-after-divorcing-mom kind of scenario. Honestly, that would also work with Keira.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

also you could interpret it as geralt and yens relationship just did not survive all of the crazy poo poo that happened involving amnesia and genies which is not exactly a crazy idea since in real life a relationship can be killed by like working a bad shift at work. poo poo happens, yen will get over it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Telling Yen that "Sorry, the magic's gone for me" and *shrug* "I guess you got your wish" was hilariously dickish so I have no regrets

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Well, to be fair, she could just as easily reply that she couldn't resolve the problem because she got written out of the story because the writers of W1 didn't like her.

Wait, that's why Yen and the events in the books aren't mentioned in W1 (aside from the frequent winking references)? I always assumed it was a combo of them wanting to tell a self contained story since they had no idea it would be successful enough to allow for a sequel, and recognizing that few people outside of Poland were aware of the books so it made no sense to extensively delve into them. That's pretty funny if its the case, as it makes W1 even more like fan fiction. Decently written for a video game fan fiction, but still.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Palpek posted:

I would choose Yen over Triss but I'd understand him getting together with Triss too. It's like he's moving on. She's different, he's not connected to her through Ciri and she brings a different vibe to his life. It's a sort of dad's-new-younger-girlfriend-after-divorcing-mom kind of scenario. Honestly, that would also work with Keira.

tbh keira would make even more sense

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, Keira would be a breath of fresh air with Geralt just leaving the whole amnesia fiasco and all sorceresses entangled with it behind.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

WoodrowSkillson posted:

tbh keira would make even more sense

Definitely. Keira makes infinitely more sense than Triss but still isn't anywhere near Yen.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Constantly LARPing posted:

Wait, that's why Yen and the events in the books aren't mentioned in W1 (aside from the frequent winking references)? I always assumed it was a combo of them wanting to tell a self contained story since they had no idea it would be successful enough to allow for a sequel, and recognizing that few people outside of Poland were aware of the books so it made no sense to extensively delve into them. That's pretty funny if its the case, as it makes W1 even more like fan fiction. Decently written for a video game fan fiction, but still.

I've heard a number of reasons for why they made this choice, and I don't actually know how many of the original writers are still here, so idk if what I said is actually true or not. Even if it is, it's probably not the whole truth.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Maybe we'll see some more of Fringilla in Blood and Wine?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That'd make a lot of sense

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Shockeh posted:

How was she going to fix it from a Nilfgaardian dungeon? She got released a couple of months ago apparently. Also Triss could have got to work on that amnesia at any time but chose not to.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I've heard a number of reasons for why they made this choice, and I don't actually know how many of the original writers are still here, so idk if what I said is actually true or not. Even if it is, it's probably not the whole truth.

I saw one interview that claimed they were worried about being able to pull off Yennefer because she's complicated and hard to write properly.

JaucheCharly posted:

Maybe we'll see some more of Fringilla in Blood and Wine?

I think that letter from her on Yennefer's desk in Vizima is an expansion plot hook. Mentions some big unpleasantness she has to take care of in Beauclair.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Triss and I took down Salamandra. We traveled across the continent to protect Alvin. Triss was willing to leave her comfy position in Foltests court to be with me. Triss and I fought the Kingslayers, we stopped a pogrom together. Triss took command of the underground railroad, saving hundreds of lives. Triss willingly walked into a torture chamber and allowed a man to jam needles under her fingernails just so I could have a hope of finding Cirri, then left her safe exile in Kovir to fight for her.

What's yen done? Goofed around in Nilfgaard, tricked me into desecrating a sacred grove with necromancy, and teleported me into a lake.

Admittedly Triss 's VA does terrible things to her accent in 3, and her outfit is nowhere near as punk as W2, but Triss owns.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Triss consistently lied, put off curing Geralt's amnesia to play house, told him nothing about the Lodge, manipulated him into getting into Foltest's court in the first place, kept protecting the Lodge from him even when she knew what was happening and he nearly died over it. She's betrayed him multiple times not even going into the books. Yennefer's done nothing at all to Geralt to compare, and frankly she's the only reason anything gets done in TW3. Besides Vesemir and Emhyr, she's the only one with a plan. Don't do the necromancy thing? Game over, last lead to find Ciri gone. Player's are just obsessed with agency so take the in your face "I'm making this choice myself" stuff a lot more harshly than Triss doing stuff behind their backs, I think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the only negative things Yennefer does to Geralt are in the first couple books before Ciri becomes the focus. Their relationship is pretty toxic to start with and I didn't like her much in the beginning, though it's still way better than Triss' "drug you to make you sleep with me" trick.

also Triss leaving for Kovir at all was a point against her imo since she was absolutely not needed there and just wanted to be melodramatic about leaving you, even though Ciri was being actively chased by the Wild Hunt at the time and Geralt was putting himself in harm's way to stop it

actually when you think about it, Triss doesn't really help you much at all until act 2 and it's part of the difference between Triss and Yennefer: Triss helps Geralt and Ciri when she doesn't have something more important to do/they aren't working against her political ambitions, whereas Yennefer has been actively trying to help them at every turn in both the books and this game

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Apparently Triss was appointed puppet head of the Council and Conclave by Tancred Thyssen.

The other big difference is that when Yennefer doesn't tell Geralt something, she tells him she's not telling him and she'll make it clear later. Triss just never brings it up at all and Geralt has to find out on his own. For some reason, people find the former far more offensive than the latter even though it's much more honest and shows more respect.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm fairly certain Triss didn't know what the Lodge was doing in W2. You can't blame her for that.

Triss also saves Geralts life about 4 times in the first game and their relationship is a big part of W1 + 2. Getting invested in her character and in being with her is perfectly natural. Especially when you get such comparatively little time to get invested in Yennefer. There's absolutely no reason to be a jackass about someone choosing her. That she's done some lovely things isn't a reason to dismiss her entirely, in this series in particular.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

Yeah, Keira would be a breath of fresh air with Geralt just leaving the whole amnesia fiasco and all sorceresses entangled with it behind.

Shani is supposed to be a romance in the upcoming DLC, guess we'll see if that's an actual ending-slide choice or just a sex scene though...

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Triss doesn't know what's going on in W2 and is naive enough to think "Hmm, could the Lodge have anything to do with this? Nah, Philippa is a good and nice person and even though she's completely cut me out of all of their plans I'm sure she would never do yet another horrible thing to further her own ambition."

Yen is prickly as hell and it's _perfectly_ in character for her to regain her memory and prepare to contact Geralt. But then she hears he's banging Triss and decides "Oh, that's how it is? gently caress them then." When she starts getting seriously worried about Ciri she figures it's time to stop playing around and find the dude who is the best tracker in the world.

It's important to remember she assumes Geralt gets his memory back very quickly because he's so resistant to mental stuff. So, yeah, she'd still be mad and she holds a hell of a grudge.

Triss does a lot of worse poo poo in the books, which I think colors the opinion of people who have read them. She's got some semblance of a backbone in the games at least.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Shani is my one true love.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Sharmat posted:

How was she going to fix it from a Nilfgaardian dungeon? She got released a couple of months ago apparently. Also Triss could have got to work on that amnesia at any time but chose not to.

She herself says when you challenge her on 'why didn't you come find me' that 'I knew you'd find me sooner or later'. Also, I dunno, I find a "couple of months" not an inconsiderable amount of time for someone who can quite literally TELEPORT FROM PLACE TO PLACE ON DEMAND.

The Sharmat posted:

The other big difference is that when Yennefer doesn't tell Geralt something, she tells him she's not telling him and she'll make it clear later. Triss just never brings it up at all and Geralt has to find out on his own. For some reason, people find the former far more offensive than the latter even though it's much more honest and shows more respect.

No, I just find it intensely annoying. It's not 'honest', it's being a bit of a childish dick. I know something you don't know, but I'm not telling you, nyah, but will you still do these things I want doing?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the only negative things Yennefer does to Geralt are in the first couple books before Ciri becomes the focus. Their relationship is pretty toxic to start with and I didn't like her much in the beginning, though it's still way better than Triss' "drug you to make you sleep with me" trick.

also Triss leaving for Kovir at all was a point against her imo since she was absolutely not needed there and just wanted to be melodramatic about leaving you, even though Ciri was being actively chased by the Wild Hunt at the time and Geralt was putting himself in harm's way to stop it

actually when you think about it, Triss doesn't really help you much at all until act 2 and it's part of the difference between Triss and Yennefer: Triss helps Geralt and Ciri when she doesn't have something more important to do/they aren't working against her political ambitions, whereas Yennefer has been actively trying to help them at every turn in both the books and this game

I have to agree. gently caress Triss, or better yet, don't.

Whether she knew about the lodge or not is kinda irrelevant given that she pretty much raped Geralt wrt the amnesia.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Apparently a beta of patch 1.10 is available through GoG Galaxy. I think they messed something up and it shouldn't be public, but if you want to try, enable "Beta channels" in the upper right corner of the Witcher 3 configure screen, then pick the "Beta" channel to the left.

Be warned, though - it doesn't seem to have DLC integration properly set up, so your older savegames won't load unless for some reason you never installed any of the free DLC. Also it's probably a good idea to backup your whole Witcher 3 save folder just in case.

So far, the major changes I've seen:
- FOUR potion slots!
- Border arrows that point to your objective if it's outside the visible map
- The map seems to show added content in the northeastern part of Velen, though I'm still in White Orchard so not sure it's just the map or if there's actually something there. Also don't know if it will be in the 1.10 patch proper or if it's some Heart of Stone content that's being tested out.
- Performance might be a bit better? Hard to tell, but feels a bit smoother.

edit: North east part of the map is weird. Some buildings are present, some are absent. I got stuck in a hole in the ground that was supposed to be a well. Maybe the content won't be present in 1.10 after all.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 7, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ymgve posted:

So far, the major changes I've seen:
- FOUR potion slots!
- Border arrows that point to your objective if it's outside the visible map
- The map seems to show added content in the northeastern part of Velen, though I'm still in White Orchard so not sure it's just the map or if there's actually something there. Also don't know if it will be in the 1.10 patch proper or if it's some Heart of Stone content that's being tested out.
- Performance might be a bit better? Hard to tell, but feels a bit smoother.

Yoog, if true.

Be nice to get all liquored up properly at the flick of the wrist. No more hunt-the-potion!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

The Iron Rose posted:

I have to agree. gently caress Triss, or better yet, don't.

Whether she knew about the lodge or not is kinda irrelevant given that she pretty much raped Geralt wrt the amnesia.

I follow this thread on and off and I love how it is nothing more than an endless circular debate between which women The Witcher should bang.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why I equally gently caress everything and everyone. Just gotta keep the "I love you" to yourself.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Triss is the immature choice for fairytale loving teenagers, Yen is the mature choice for pun loving dads.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do I need to have any real idea of who the hell Triss and Yen are before I play this game, besides "lover?" and "maybe former lover [also possibly sorceress??]???"? (pretty much the best i've been able to do from the last couple pages, having played no more than about an hour of W2 and none of W1)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Do I need to have any real idea of who the hell Triss and Yen are before I play this game, besides "lover?" and "maybe former lover [also possibly sorceress??]???"? (pretty much the best i've been able to do from the last couple pages, having played no more than about an hour of W2 and none of W1)

Honestly going in blind will give you the least baggage in making your character choices, so that can be pretty fun. This is the first game that Yen really appears in, so you're not necisarrily expected to know. Triss has been in all the games I think, but I never played the first one, so...

Really none of your romance choices carry over from the last game, so you're starting with a blank slate game-wise. Storywise, if you read stuff in game and pay attention, it will fill you in on a lot of the characters (not just Yen and Triss) and their backstory relating to Geralt.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Let's just say she gets penetrated :quagmire:

spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/XMAVhHD.jpg

I know this is from several pages back but holy poo poo that's some Cannibal Holocaust levels of hosed right there. Glad I convinced her to go to Kaer Morhen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

I know this is from several pages back but holy poo poo that's some Cannibal Holocaust levels of hosed right there. Glad I convinced her to go to Kaer Morhen.

Well that's now the most horrifying thing I've seen in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If Triss didn't at least suspect what was going on in TW2 (She did, that's why she acts so cold towards Sile) then she moves away from "naive" to "developmentally disabled".

MikeC posted:

I follow this thread on and off and I love how it is nothing more than an endless circular debate between which women The Witcher should bang.

I find it interesting how the comparative merits of two characters are instantly rendered trivial by the main character being able to bang them. No one ever made comments like this about Roche vs. Iorveth back in TW2 days.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 8, 2015