Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

i know it was wishful thinking but i was hoping for more snipes . The poo poo he said about Mike and Mike is basically what the guys on the lebatard show say about them and they're on ESPN right after them. Saying he thought Mort screwed up and that doing a Golic impression is really no big deal.

That said, I bet when he gets some good guests it'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Marklar posted:

Yeah - I honestly like his podcasts with Cousin Sal, but Jack-O I just don't find entertaining, and he gets real snippy about the Yankees.

My two least favorite regular guests on the BS Report were Cousin Sal (because I'm not a degenerate gambler and don't care about the betting lines), and Jack-O, and who are two thirds of his announced regular guests? Cousin Sal and Jack-O!

What's Mike Lombardi up to these days?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

It works when he has a good guest because he can actually be an okay host. His own opinions are godawful but he can push other people towards saying interesting things, and he used to get a lot of good guests. His Buddy Jack-O is not one of them.

When he has good guests, he does weird things like, make people step back from hyperbole, and examine multiple sides of the issue, and give the Lakers some amount of credit for what they've done over the last 60 years.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

BWV posted:

i know it was wishful thinking but i was hoping for more snipes . The poo poo he said about Mike and Mike is basically what the guys on the lebatard show say about them and they're on ESPN right after them. Saying he thought Mort screwed up and that doing a Golic impression is really no big deal.

That said, I bet when he gets some good guests it'll be great.

I don't think he wants to go full on nuclear from the first episode. I can understand it. It's been months since you've had your own show and you sort of just want to get back to doing what you like doing and showing your viewers that the show is going to pretty much the same format. If he starts spouting off a bunch of poo poo talking about ESPN on the first show it may end up turning people off.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LMAO Bill Simmons just diagnosed chemistry problems on the Seahawks becaause of Russell Wilson's performance in the Entourage movie.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you were expecting Simmons to be any different or more interesting then you haven't been following Bill Simmons for the past 15 years

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I'm kind of surprised that PFTCommenter leaves Simmons alone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

R.D. Mangles posted:

LMAO Bill Simmons just diagnosed chemistry problems on the Seahawks becaause of Russell Wilson's performance in the Entourage movie.

see this is what I listen to Simmons for

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've gorged on Simmons and love it. I am such a fan boy.

I love Wesley Morris as well.

I hope Zach Lowe ends up someplace nice that lets be be the person he is.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 2, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Wesley Morris podcast was interesting when talking about how bad it had gotten behind the scenes at Grantland, but you can see he's really trying to "take the high road" as much as possible. It's the smart approach. You know he's going to go nuclear though when the time comes though - beit someone at ESPN runs him down or some other scandal/happening over there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

I've gorged on Simmons and love it. I am such a fan boy.

I love Wesley Morris as well.

I hope Zach Lowe ends up someplace nice that lets be be the person he is.

How is Zach Lowe being held back?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Zach Lowe has the best job he could probably hope to have. He has the freedom to write his niche "analytical" pieces without needing to whore out for page-views or appeal to mainstream sports fans. He is also probably paid better than any other site that would allow him to write the pieces he writes. Disclaimer: This might change soon as ESPN likely starts striping Grantland down.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 2, 2015

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Benne posted:

If you were expecting Simmons to be any different or more interesting then you haven't been following Bill Simmons for the past 15 years

Yeah, everyone should know Simmons' schtick by now. He's a regular sports fan who lucked his way into having a voice by being at the right place at the right time.

That leads to some really good things as a producer and host because in broad strokes, his tastes line up with most sports fans. So when he gets other people to make stuff that he would like, then other people like it too. Grantland is basically him getting people he likes to read, 30 for 30 was getting people to make documentaries that interested him and when his podcasts are good, it's him asking the guest to tell stories he finds entertaining.

But then he's also like a regular dumb sports fan because he has his hometown bias and pet theories that everyone has so his stuff drags whenever he gets self indulgent and starts talking about his own dumb sports fan opinions. Like his I could be a better GM thing. Everyone does it, he just has an audience of millions instead of a couple of friends at a bar like everyone else.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

How is Zach Lowe being held back?

He's not. I'm just saying I hope the next place appreciates him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know First Take is a joke but Stephen A. literally threatened Kevin Durant on air this morning

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know First Take is a joke but Stephen A. literally threatened Kevin Durant on air this morning

oh man it's great too

quote:

The sensitivity that these guys are showing, they are making unnecessary enemies I am not one of them. I won’t be. I got too much love and respect for who these guys are, and what they mean to my community. But I will say this lastly. You don’t want to make an enemy out of me.

[pause intended to be dramatic]

And I’m looking right into the camera. And I’mma say it again. You do not want to make an enemy out of me. I’m not having it. I’ve done nothing wrong.

This is literally the "SOMEONE HOLD ME BACK" thing :munch:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I wish he did it to someone like Steve Smith instead of KD

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Metapod posted:

oh god drat this would have been incredible

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

He would show up the next day with unexplained bruises

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

He would show up the next day with unexplained bruises

He wouldn't show up the next day and Steve Smith would be sitting in his chair and when asked where Stephen A. was Steve would just say "Who?"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol at steven a smith cutting a promo on someone

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm more scared of Urkel than SAS

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Mob posted:

I'm more scared of Urkel than SAS

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I guess the entire internet had a meltdown about a feeeeemale broadcasting the Wild Card game because she's not a former player and therefore has no idea what baseball is even about. Did anyone famous poo poo their pants on Twitter over it? I saw some screenshots of Atlanta radio hosts throwing fits and a whole bunch of morons ranting about feminism taking over ESPN.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I guess the entire internet had a meltdown about a feeeeemale broadcasting the Wild Card game because she's not a former player and therefore has no idea what baseball is even about. Did anyone famous poo poo their pants on Twitter over it? I saw some screenshots of Atlanta radio hosts throwing fits and a whole bunch of morons ranting about feminism taking over ESPN.

It's been going on a while now. Every so often, ESPN broadcasts a baseball or soccer match on the flagship network and has their spanish language announcers call it. People go absolutely bananas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

It's been going on a while now. Every so often, ESPN broadcasts a baseball or soccer match on the flagship network and has their spanish language announcers call it. People go absolutely bananas.

Isn't this always when someone like the Mexican national team is playing anyway?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Isn't this always when someone like the Mexican national team is playing anyway?

Yeah once in a while El Tri will play like Spain or someone and they'll do the whole thing in spanish. A few weeks ago they had a double-header of the US getting curb stomped by Brazil with their regular english speaking team, then had Mexico vs... I think it was Argentina from Jerry World, and their spanish announcers called the match in english but would jump to spanish every once in a while. It was neat.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

It works when he has a good guest because he can actually be an okay host. His own opinions are godawful but he can push other people towards saying interesting things, and he used to get a lot of good guests.

Haven't read this thread in forever but this is exactly what I think of Bob Costas.

Get rid of him on NBC and bring back his HBO show please.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Luigi Thirty posted:

She also happens to be the best baseball analyst they employ by a mile, so it's especially amusing/sad how angry it's making everyone. If they actually dump her to go back to curt schilling and his racist grandpa email forwards that's going to be so sad. The booth last night was really good.

This is also now two professional sports where ESPN's best color commentator is a woman (love you forever Doris Burke)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I thought you were going to say Pam Ward there for a second.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pam does neither professional sports nor color commentary but she is Number 1 in my heart

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Luigi Thirty posted:

1) Wait this happened AGAIN? I saw her on the broadcast and assumed it was a foregone conclusion that after she killed it in August/September she would be in the booth.

2) I mentioned this the last time we had this very sad and terrible conversation too, it is funny that "not a former player" applies even though she is very near the top of accomplishment in diamond/bat sport playing out of all available broadcasters. If you broaden that to all sports it becomes even more hilariously wrong.

Like, my hometown broadcast team includes Former Major League Baseballer Ben Davis. Who the gently caress is Ben Davis, and who decided he is allowed to talk very stupidly about baseball for 7 months a year? Jessica Mendoza, please.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

People will melt down about anything. Seeing the idiots do it in real time is one of the saving graces of Twitter.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And a radio host got suspended for joining in on bashing her:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...campaign=buffer

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Pam Ward is awful. I never even rewatched Appalachian State's 2006 championship because she called the game.

Doris Burke is awesome. Also, I don't remember any meltdowns over her when she started calling games. Maybe it is because she was a sideline reporter for a while so people were familiar with her.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Mendoza is the best color commentator ESPN's baseball coverage has ever had outside of maybe Francona

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

Pam Ward is awful. I never even rewatched Appalachian State's 2006 championship because she called the game.

Doris Burke is awesome. Also, I don't remember any meltdowns over her when she started calling games. Maybe it is because she was a sideline reporter for a while so people were familiar with her.

I'm not a fan of Pam Ward and Beth Mowins.

Doris Burke is probably the best analyst the ESPN'S NBA coverage has and I love hearing her talk about the game. She is indeed awesome. There was also a female color person for IndyCar radio 2 seasons ago (Pippa Mann) and she was also excellent at it. NASCAR also had Patty Moise (former driver) work the pits and she did a solid job.

Also Robin Roberts was a hell of an anchor for ABC WWOS and SportsCenter. Linda Cohn is also solid.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm not a fan of Pam Ward and Beth Mowins.

I never thought Pam Ward was very good in general terms. There's something about Beth Mowins I don't like and its hard to put my finger on it. I think its her "big play excited" tone. It doesn't sound that different from how she sounds normally.

I often wonder where all those people that call the olympics come from.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pam Ward was and presumably still is really bad, but she did improve a shitload around the time they pulled her from Noon Big Ten duty. Beth Mowins is really boring but otherwise is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'd take Beth Mowins over Mike Patrick every day of the week. poo poo I'd take Pam Ward over Mike Patrick. gently caress, I'd take Larry Munson right now over Mike Patrick.