Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I hope you also immediately strip down, throw your clothes in the dryer, and take a shower when you come home after smoking.

Or just quit today. Right now. No more cigarettes. Go buy some nicotine gum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I still want to see a COMPLETE breakdown from August. You can't tell me it doesn't affect anything, because it very clearly affected your budgeting in September. Or did you black out when you only had $2k to allocate and raided the e-fund for $1700?

Also why do you still budget $39.99 for Internet when it's never that number? Do you even look at your budget? Is it done by elves while you sleep?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Playing shell games with budget categories has kinda been his thing from the beginning guys. He needs to go back and sort out some fundamentals or the foundation of his efforts will keep crumbling.

ITM
Oct 23, 2010
Janus, make a budget line for the grand canyon NOW. Even if it's a small amount a month going in there, in a few years you can take the trip instead of KG getting a bonus and the two of you going "gently caress it we've been thinking about the grand canyon for years, let's just do it."

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

ITM posted:

Janus, make a budget line for the grand canyon NOW. Even if it's a small amount a month going in there, in a few years you can take the trip instead of KG getting a bonus and the two of you going "gently caress it we've been thinking about the grand canyon for years, let's just do it."
They just zero'd the budget for vacation for October. Just sayin'. I don't think zeroing it is a good call at all... I'm going to my folks for Thanksgiving and will spend $50 tops to get there, and I'm budgeting $100 a month till then..just because I may want to go to / take them to dinner or something.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Greg posted:

Two things. 1. Worth considering this, but against the pros of a bank move that may let you work with your budget more easily, and thus save more money than a nebulous discount that may not even happen. Not that your thinking is wrong; the CU could be a great refinancing option.

2. Could you keep the credit union account open and use it for one of your budget categories? You drain it to the new bank but now put $20 a month in and it's your Christmas/Gifts account, or it's where your monthly amount for once/twice a year costs like auto insurance go.

Well we got an offer just before we made the payment to refinance the car from our CU. It was something like $15/mo off the minimum payment however, so I figured it wasn't worth it. My credit score according to Credit Karma is now 645 Transunion, 639 Equifax. My wife's is within a few points of those as well. Considering we were around 540 and 520 when we originally finances the car, we should get a much better rate when we get the car down to its blue book value.

We can't keep the checking open unless we keep a direct deposit going, and use a debit card at least 10-15 times per month (I forget which). I don't really see the point of keeping money there if not for that. I'd rather put our emergency fund in a high interest saving, which actually I'll try to remember to do that this weekend since that's what I wanted to do anyway (get savings out of our checking account).

I've been looking into US Bank a lot since there's one in our grocery store a couple blocks away. I despise US Bank though, so I'll probably keep looking. I guess when it comes down to it we could close our checking at the CU, keep our savings account open, and use that for something. We have like 10 savings accounts there actually.

SiGmA_X posted:

They just zero'd the budget for vacation for October. Just sayin'. I don't think zeroing it is a good call at all... I'm going to my folks for Thanksgiving and will spend $50 tops to get there, and I'm budgeting $100 a month till then..just because I may want to go to / take them to dinner or something.

Gonna leave vacation stuff for now until my wife and I can think on it together.

Bugamol posted:

I still don't understand why you stopped using the excel spreadsheet I sent you. Maybe because it made it too obvious that you're overspending and it was harder for you to hide things. (Joking.... Sort of...)

Well as I explained it's difficult for my wife to enter in transactions, and then it will isolate her from the budget. I think she's on the mark that we'll be more successful as a team.

dreesemonkey posted:

KG if YNAB is confusing you, write a parser and have it summarize your data for you. According to a post on their forums, all the YNAB data is XML/JSON which should be pretty easy to manipulate in .NET

I get a much better understanding of something when I have to program it to make it work. In an example from work, I have a fairly complex report that has to take a lot of different things into consideration. When the report is processing and I'm looping through those things I need to account for, if I see something that would in effect "overwrite" the data due to one of these exceptions, I have it write out an alert saying "Hey it looks like this person might XYZ due to such and such data".

You could do something similar to humanize your budget "Hey shitface this is the 3rd month in a row you've been over in groceries" or something along those lines to look for trends or just to sift through your data.

FWIW YNAB has it's employees work anywhere from home ;)

Also not a bad idea. YNAB4 "files" are actually just directories. This has piqued my interest. It'd be fun just to screw around with deserializing the data and seeing what's actually going on.

Old Fart posted:

I still want to see a COMPLETE breakdown from August. You can't tell me it doesn't affect anything, because it very clearly affected your budgeting in September. Or did you black out when you only had $2k to allocate and raided the e-fund for $1700?

Also why do you still budget $39.99 for Internet when it's never that number? Do you even look at your budget? Is it done by elves while you sleep?

Old Fart posted:

YNAB can be confusing until you wrap your head around it.

Post ALL of your July and August numbers, including the headers, including the hidden categories. We'll get to the bottom of this. YNAB is a zero sum game. The answer is there somewhere.

I'm not sure why you consider showing all the numbers, even going forward, to be BS. Is this part of your rebellious nature?

Internet has been that number for awhile. There was a problem with auto pay one month causing a late charge, they got rid of our promotional $39.99 rate and upped it to $60. I called and threatened to cancel yada yada, got the promotional rate again and on top of that a $10 credit. Internet should only be $29.99 or so next month, and back up to $39.99 for the following 11 months.

I'll answer your August inquiry tonight or tomorrow for sure since I'm finishing up another project today at work and then things are slowing down for a bit. I was going to do answer, investigate, and post last night, but I ended up turning off the computer for family time instead.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I hope I can figure out what happened in August. I've been a little hostile beside I feel like I'm being lied to, or at least evaded, and that peeves me off. My own issues more than yours, perhaps, so I apologize. I love solving these kinds of problems. And I can't imagine it's fun trying to juggle budgets when YNAB claims you only have $2k to spend in a month.

Aside from that, I recommend you roll over all categories, including bills, but especially discretionary. We were bad about borrowing from the future for quite a while, and our YNAB was a lot of red for several months. It sucks, but by seeing every category roll over red, it did help us adjust our expectations for ourselves and set more realistic budgets. And WRT discretionary, we just sucked it up and stopped buying as much stuff (and I hit a couple big wins in my weekly poker game ;)).

Remember, you're not punishing yourself or telling yourself what to do, so much as you're helping yourself reach your goals. It just takes a little bit of discipline to build up categories so that you can have the stuff you want without the shame spiral that goes with constantly busting your budget.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Well we got an offer just before we made the payment to refinance the car from our CU. It was something like $15/mo off the minimum payment however, so I figured it wasn't worth it. My credit score according to Credit Karma is now 645 Transunion, 639 Equifax. My wife's is within a few points of those as well. Considering we were around 540 and 520 when we originally finances the car, we should get a much better rate when we get the car down to its blue book value.

I wouldn't worry about the change in minimum payment and more about the change in interest rate. If you're refinancing and they're offering you a shorter term loan with a much lower interest rate the payment may not change by much or even go up.

Also - I've mentioned this before, but take credit karma's score with a grain of salt. Your real score could be much lower or much higher than that. I'd pull your "real" credit score/report in January (assuming you've used all your freebies at this point). You may be surprised.

Old Fart posted:

I hope I can figure out what happened in August. I've been a little hostile beside I feel like I'm being lied to, or at least evaded, and that peeves me off.

I think he knows what happened in August and just doesn't want to fess up.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ITM posted:

Yeah, every big purchase they make, they talk about for pages and pages beforehand, all the while denying it is in the cards any time soon. People like you say "put it in the budget" and KG tells the thread that they just can't afford it so they are depriving themselves as instructed *martyred air.* Then he disappears for a while and comes back sheepish, having bought the thing. You'd think he'd be able to spot the pattern now.

Grand Canyon next year for sure! Budgeted or not!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I wouldn't worry about the change in minimum payment and more about the change in interest rate. If you're refinancing and they're offering you a shorter term loan with a much lower interest rate the payment may not change by much or even go up.

Also - I've mentioned this before, but take credit karma's score with a grain of salt. Your real score could be much lower or much higher than that. I'd pull your "real" credit score/report in January (assuming you've used all your freebies at this point). You may be surprised.

I think he knows what happened in August and just doesn't want to fess up.

Hm well I check Transunion's credit report (free with my credit card), and that matches pretty closely @ 645 vs 643 at CK. I don't have FICO data and I haven't use any of my free requests. I'm doing that annual credit report thing now though; it looks like they've improved the process quite a bit recently.

fake edit finished. It doesn't provide scores though?

Untrue about August. I have no clue.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, every big purchase they make, they talk about for pages and pages beforehand, all the while denying it is in the cards any time soon. People like you say "put it in the budget" and KG tells the thread that they just can't afford it so they are depriving themselves as instructed *martyred air.* Then he disappears for a while and comes back sheepish, having bought the thing. You'd think he'd be able to spot the pattern now.

Grand Canyon next year for sure! Budgeted or not!

I don't believe "put it in the budget" has been said very often regarding things I've brought up in here. And why are we harping on hypothetical situations that haven't even happened? That's pretty disingenuous.

Edit:

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

First thing you need to realize is you cannot make everyone happy. Tuyop for example, nailed his budget every month but one for the duration of the thread (if my memory serves me) and people still shat all over him for the slightest thing. You will never make BFC happy and you need to accept that. It's not your fault either, that's just the way it is.

Second thing, no, please do not make another budget. Your budget looks good to me, honest.

So there we go, I guess. BFC :arghfist:. We'll just budget for things I'd/she'd/we'd like in the future like I said.

Detroit Lions season tickets here I come. (obviously I'm joking)

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 7, 2015

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Knyteguy posted:

I don't believe "put it in the budget" has been said very often regarding things I've brought up in here. And why are we harping on hypothetical situations that haven't even happened? That's pretty disingenuous.

Put the trip in the budget! You need a vacation, you want a vacation, you can afford it, so plan for it.

What do you mean "hypothetical"? This is what happened with the new apartment and the new car. You can go back over this megathread if you want. You start talking about them, deny you will do them, bemoan the pain of self-denial, vanish, do them, reappear. It's a pattern. You are doing the same with this dream trip. Talking about it repeatedly, denying you will do it. It's logical to expect the same conclusion as last time. Enjoy your vacation ;)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bugamol posted:

Also - I've mentioned this before, but take credit karma's score with a grain of salt. Your real score could be much lower or much higher than that.
I'll second this. AmEx and Citi are now both giving me "FICO" scores for free (presumably to match what Discover was promoting for the last year or two) and both numbers are consistently 5-10% off from CreditKarma's numbers. Oddly enough, Mint's number usually splits the difference. The point isn't to obsess about your score, but rather that any one source (especially a free one) isn't 100% accurate. You can usually still rely on them for trend information though (like if your credit is doing better overall -- which yours seems to be).

Knyteguy posted:

fake edit finished. It doesn't provide scores though?
Nope, FICO score isn't free with the annual check. Just the reports are free.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 7, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BarbarianElephant posted:

Put the trip in the budget! You need a vacation, you want a vacation, you can afford it, so plan for it.

What do you mean "hypothetical"? This is what happened with the new apartment and the new car. You can go back over this megathread if you want. You start talking about them, deny you will do them, bemoan the pain of self-denial, vanish, do them, reappear. It's a pattern. You are doing the same with this dream trip. Talking about it repeatedly, denying you will do it. It's logical to expect the same conclusion as last time. Enjoy your vacation ;)

Do me a favor and stop with the sarcasm, if only because I'm losing your message here. Are you genuinely advising that we put it into the budget?

I know what everyone else has said so far, but I'm speaking in regards to your specific post.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Do me a favor and stop with the sarcasm, if only because I'm losing your message here. Are you genuinely advising that we put it into the budget?

I know what everyone else has said so far, but I'm speaking in regards to your specific post.

He's not being sarcastic. He's being incredibly helpful and making good points, I'm not sure why you're getting so upset.

Yes, he is saying that repeatedly you've shown that when you bring up something you really want to do but then repeatedly say 'ok I won't do it, there's no room, etcetc' you go quiet and come back and you did it without having budgeted for it. So realize that you do this, and just say: this is happening so I'm going to budget for it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'll second this. AmEx and Citi are now both giving me "FICO" scores for free (presumably to match what Discover was promoting for the last year or two) and both numbers are consistently 5-10% off from CreditKarma's numbers. Oddly enough, Mint's number usually splits the difference. The point isn't to obsess about your score, but rather that any one source (especially a free one) isn't 100% accurate. You can usually still rely on them for trend information though (like if your credit is doing better overall -- which yours seems to be).

Nope, FICO score isn't free with the annual check. Just the reports are free.

Ah, got it. Well I did find some errors and some information from the reports that I'd like to correct. Equifax has my birth date wrong, and it looks like there's a dispute or two I can do on some erroneous data.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rurutia posted:

He's not being sarcastic. He's being incredibly helpful and making good points, I'm not sure why you're getting so upset.

Now I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. I'm not upset at all!

:derp:

Ok I saw your edit:

Rurutia posted:

Yes, he is saying that repeatedly you've shown that when you bring up something you really want to do but then repeatedly say 'ok I won't do it, there's no room, etcetc' you go quiet and come back and you did it without having budgeted for it. So realize that you do this, and just say: this is happening so I'm going to budget for it.

We'll talk about it tonight. I'm totally down to go and to budget for it, and I agree with the assessment presented. I also think a plan is good to have (like you guys have said). We were in fact talking about expenses, good times to go, and monthly contribution ideas last night.

My dream trip right now is actually probably Alaska or Greenland or Europe. Why don't we just sell the Camaro and take that instead?

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Knyteguy posted:

My dream trip right now is actually probably Alaska or Greenland or Europe. Why don't we just sell the Camaro and take that instead?

Because after you sell the Camaro you'll be right back to feeling the same pain you were feeling that pushed you into buying it in the first place, and until you develop the skill for delayed gratification you're not going to meet your goals.

Why not make a plan to set aside some money for a trip every month and then when you have enough money for the trip, take that trip!?

Have you recalculated your debt free date with the reality that has transpired since the last time you calculated it?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Knyteguy posted:

I'm trying to be friendly. Probably doesn't come across in text. I like you and your wife from what I have read in this thread, and I also wish to visit the Grand Canyon one day.

The point of budgets is to stop wasting money on crap that doesn't satisfy you, and save it so that you can spend it on things that you really want. I'll wager you'd both get more fun out of a vacation than that Oculus Rift devkit and a bunch of cigarettes that will just kill you in 20 years anyway.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Now I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.
Dude, nobody is being sarcastic. Everybody wants you to plan and budget. We may think some things are bad purchases, but if you hit your savings goals and follow a budget and plan for stuff, then who cares what we think? That's the whole point of budgeting: to get what you want.

You don't like being controlled by outside forces, but by failing to budget you're being controlled by you own poor decisions. I promise you the freedom of hitting your goals is liberating.

Knyteguy posted:

Or just plan and budget and make projections and figure out what it will take to make that happen. It doesn't have to be just a pipe dream. I went to Iceland a couple of years ago and it was awesome. And it required almost a year of planning and a serious shift in our work schedules and discretionary funds.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Knyteguy posted:

Why don't we just sell the Camaro and take that instead?

I thought you were trying to be less impulsive?

You'd still need a second car when you got back. So you'd need to exist without that second car *in winter* until you could get another. You don't have the money for another, because you just spent it on a vacation, so you'd need to finance it.

Also most decent vacations to Europe/Greenland would cost more than that. Don't be too optimistic about that sort of costs. They always cost more than you think, especially once you've done things like "gently caress it, it's our last day, let's eat somewhere special."

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Repeating what everyone else said:

The point of the budget is to help you meet your goals. Within reason (basically anything that isn't "I am prioritizing Star Wars toys over the well-being of my unborn child"), BFC doesn't care what your goals are. BFC cares that you don't allow impulsive behavior to prevent you from meeting your goals.

I've definitely said this before but:

If you can't succeed at the "best" solution ("don't buy a second car", "don't take another vacation this year"), then you're better off compromising with a decent solution ("financially plan and budget for the second car or extra vacation"), instead of taking the worst solution ("wreck your budget and make negative progress towards your long-term goals by impulse buying the thing").

You have a tendency to get really optimistic about the first solution and then cave and choose the third solution -- in fact, I'm not sure you've ever succeeded in "going without", so people have taken to saying you should try the "if you need it you should recognize you need it and plan for it from the beginning" approach.

Hell, you can budget for things without actually buying them in the end anyways. The money's still gonna be there and it can be repurposed if you want, as long as it's already saved.

Edit:
None of the things you've wanted have been inherently unreasonable. Second car? You have good reasons for it. Move closer to family? Good reasons. Move further from family? Also good reasons. Kid? Sure. Vacation? Yeah, those are great. Toys for fun? Not unreasonable -- an oculus rift is a cool toy, and might eventually be relevant to your career, and isn't "8 kids in the hall t-shirts" or "another box of action figures that'll go unused in a storage shed" or "watching the same movie in theaters for the 5th time".

But having good reasons to do something isn't enough if you can't afford it, and if it's not in the budget then you can't afford it (yet).

Do you find yourself sometimes thinking "I'll get it eventually so I might as well get it right away?"

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 7, 2015

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

:words:
I've earned a little bit of a break when there's an option to do so.
:words:

This is from a few days ago but I think this illustrates one of your biggest problems when it comes to budgeting. You view finances the same way; after a period of struggle or hardship you feel like you've earned a chance to splurge a little. It might not be a conscious thought but you demonstrate it through your actions.

The whole idea behind budgeting is to provide a structured outlet for those impulses and let you see exactly what progress you're making rather than getting frustrated with living in a small apartment / not having a second car / not being able to go on vacation. You can see the building blocks behind those deprivations -- "if we keep to the budget we can afford a trip to Europe by winter 2017" or "I'll trade $50 a month worth of junk food and cigarettes for the maintenance on a second car."

Get rid of the idea that a budget is for reconciling and start using it to plan. That will really help you cut down on those impulsive but I suffered SO much therefore I deserve this type of purchases by letting you plan how much hardship you go through and what you can get because of it.

ITM
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly Knyte, I'm just a little annoyed that you got a fun car, and you got an Oculus Rift, and your discretionary is always over while your wife's is under, and you can't find fifty bucks a month to take her to the grand canyon in a few years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He is obviously joking about selling the car to take a vacation... Come on guys.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

ITM posted:

your discretionary is always over while your wife's is under
I noticed that too. And since they don't roll over, there's no accountability. She gets no benefit to staying under budget. Actually, she's negatively affected, since his overages are taken out of their combined budget the following month.

I dunno, man, that seems pretty cold.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Rolling over was attempted in the past and it failed pretty rapidly. Aside from the major spending blow ups like the car and breaking the lease to move to a new place. The flex spending portion of the budget has been kg's other primary weakness.

First and foremost kg needs to decide on a reasonable set amount that will go toward paying down the car. As I have suggested recently, $1000 a month would be a good goal. There is more than enough money for kg to pay his fixed costs, continue to build up his emergency fund and have money left over for food/discretionary/etc.

Save up for a trip or hell even start a modest college fund for the kid. Whatever you do, don't let less important things like restaurant and discretionary (aka minimart) spending detract from the more important goals.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Knyteguy posted:

We can't keep the checking open unless we keep a direct deposit going, and use a debit card at least 10-15 times per month (I forget which). I don't really see the point of keeping money there if not for that. I'd rather put our emergency fund in a high interest saving, which actually I'll try to remember to do that this weekend since that's what I wanted to do anyway (get savings out of our checking account).
If you're going to change banks, you could put it in high interest checking with the similar "requirements"
https://www.frontierfcu.org/accounts/personal-checking/free-kasasa-cash.html

quote:

Earn 2.00% APY* on balances up to $15,000
Earn 2.00% to 0.43% APY on balances over $15,000 depending on balance in account*
Earn 0.01% APY* if qualifications are not met

Qualifications
Have at least 12 debit card purchases post and settle
Be enrolled and receive E-Statement notice
Have at least 1 ACH credit or debit post and settle

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Rolling over only failed because kg can't stick to a budget. He tried the envelope system but it sounds like that failed, too. He can't set YNAB to use previous averages as a guideline, because those numbers would probably put him in the red for the month. So now he's borrowing from future paychecks to balance the budget.

Let's face it, until he can keep his spending under control for months on end, everything else is doomed to fail. This isn't a problem of the budgeting method, because he's not actually budgeting.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yup that's pretty much the deal. KG has gotten a bit better than when the thread first started, but every time it is offset pretty shortly thereafter with another poor financial decision. It's interesting that from the OP:
7/31/2015 Update:
Emergency Savings: $10,000
House Down Payment: $0
Retirement: $0
HSA: $2000 (paid off birth)
Addl Car Principal Paid Off (Total): $1,800

It's a little hard to figure out where KG stands right now, because we haven't seen a summary post like this in a while. How much has your net worth increased/decreased since this post KG?
--
I just went back and looked through the SIX PAGES of posts I've made in this thread. It reads like someone who is making an argument by restating it over and over but with a slightly different angle each time. KG knows how to budget, but for whatever reason still isn't choosing to do it. He's looking for that ONE SIMPLE TRICK that will allow him to live within a budget, without making any real changes.

My own trick is to have money pulled out on the same day every month, and it's pretty much gone forever unless it's for big stuff like traveling or major purchases. When I think about spending money out of that account I think a lot about how I'll feel making that stupid number get smaller, and I know how slow it is to build that number back up. Right now I'm out on ~12 days of vacation making this number smaller again. Don't worry, I'm only setting aside short periods of time to make lovely posts.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

n8r posted:

Yup that's pretty much the deal. KG has gotten a bit better than when the thread first started, but every time it is offset pretty shortly thereafter with another poor financial decision. It's interesting that from the OP:
7/31/2015 Update:
Emergency Savings: $10,000
House Down Payment: $0
Retirement: $0
HSA: $2000 (paid off birth)
Addl Car Principal Paid Off (Total): $1,800

It's a little hard to figure out where KG stands right now, because we haven't seen a summary post like this in a while. How much has your net worth increased/decreased since this post KG?
--
I just went back and looked through the SIX PAGES of posts I've made in this thread. It reads like someone who is making an argument by restating it over and over but with a slightly different angle each time. KG knows how to budget, but for whatever reason still isn't choosing to do it. He's looking for that ONE SIMPLE TRICK that will allow him to live within a budget, without making any real changes.

My own trick is to have money pulled out on the same day every month, and it's pretty much gone forever unless it's for big stuff like traveling or major purchases. When I think about spending money out of that account I think a lot about how I'll feel making that stupid number get smaller, and I know how slow it is to build that number back up. Right now I'm out on ~12 days of vacation making this number smaller again. Don't worry, I'm only setting aside short periods of time to make lovely posts.
12 days of vacation during quarter end. I'm so jealous!!

I also agree with your other points about the various habits shown throughout the thread.

exocet
Jul 4, 2007
Invention:destruction
I agree with the chorus on this. I was harsh in my earlier post, but I think the fundamental problem is that this issue has nothing to do with the selected budgeting strategy; all of this is a direct result of your refusal to follow a budget whatsoever. The thread has recommended and continues recommending new solutions to solve the same old problem, but this ignores that the only commonality has been your lack of adherence to any proposed budget plan. I think that the majority has it right: budget for your second best outcome because it is clear that if you budget for the best outcome, you will end up choosing the worst outcome eventually. You'll delay a few of your goals in the timeline, but it will be infinitely faster and less stressful than what you are doing now. But for the love of god, KG, just follow a budget for six months, hit your financial targets, and reevaluate from there.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

exocet posted:

But for the love of god, KG, just follow a budget for six months, hit your financial targets, and reevaluate from there.

We'll definitely do our best.

Header is just hidden again for the sake of having one screenshot. I'll post that at the end of the month. This is 100% up to date with nothing pending.

My discretionary is being burned through with drat cigarettes. They're $7/pack I'm on half a pack a day. I'm quitting on what I'd say the 15th? So next pack the 11th, next pack the 13th. I'll have about $30 left for the month. :shame:. That's $105/mo I've been spending on these things.

Some expenses are showing differently than last week. That fraud stuff means I got some declined orders on Amazon that I haven't re-ordered yet, since we were just stockpiling some pet stuff to get us through the entire month.

I was going to post as I said yesterday, but the forums were down when I had the opportunity to. I'll get to the points I said I would, but: BarbarianElephant I misread what you said. I may have been projecting a bit (I thought you meant like deserve a vacation). Sorry. I think I figured out some of what's up with August. I'll post about that more also. And yes I was joking about selling the Camaro (though those are places I'd like to visit for sure). Off day that day.

Re: wife's discretionary. I did explain this. I go over on discretionary, but some of that wasn't categorized correctly every month. Since we weren't entering expenses as they happened or by receipts, there were times I wouldn't know what something was. I'd pretty much always take that out of my discretionary. Plus I usually take my wife for a trip on her birthday most years. Usually something small, but they've definitely gotten up towards $1000. Conversely on my birthday we usually stay home and don't do much besides a nice home cooked meal, which I like.

So, not trying to dodge the rest of the points at all; stuff has just been inconveniently timed. The second I think I'm done with my project my boss gives me more work regarding the project. I wish I could just get a task list for this thing so I know if I have time to screw around on the forums for a little bit or not. /smallrant Bonuses may be coming up soon, so I want to put in a little extra effort right now also to see what happens.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 9, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Quit today! Buy no more!! Man. I totally forgot how much money I use to burn on cigs. I bought most of the packs for my gf and I as I made substantially more, and they were $7-8 a pack (Dunhills!) back in '08-10 and we smoked a half pack a day each when we met in '08... (Actually I didn't smoke, I had quit 6mo+ before, she restarted me..) Tapered down to way less than that by '10, but poo poo. What a huge waste of money!!

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Just quit now. You are a big boy, you can control your emotions at work even if you're feeling nicotine cravings. Waiting until your boss is our of town is the laziest excuse ever.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Do you have 7k in income this month?
Why can't you taper down on the smokes?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
$105 a month could turn into a trip to the Grand Canyon in a year.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

n8r posted:

Do you have 7k in income this month?
I believe they had 9k income and 2k overages from last month.

AFAIK that number isn't a projection. They're a month ahead with income, so that's a hard number from September's paychecks. I think they had a 5-paycheck month, which is why it's higher than usual.

This would be easier to understand with headers, but I guess taking two images and editing them together into one is too much effort. Or even just cropping the full headers separate from the ledger and posting two images.

I guess just opening it all up and screenshotting August is also too difficult, but I imagine he needs time to fudge the numbers before sharing it. He's definitely hiding something. There's no reason to be so slippery otherwise. This would be like ten seconds of work to just post it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think it'd be worth seeing a shot that includes checking/savings account balances and all of that stuff. Unless your wife gets to go on the trip by herself, saying that you get to overspend your discretionary because of a trip you both take is bogus. Can't you switch to cheap/lovely smokes until the 15th, that will make you want to quit? Why not start cutting down by 2 smokes a day to taper off a bit. Jesus man 10 smokes a day? What the hell.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Old Fart posted:

I believe they had 9k income and 2k overages from last month.

AFAIK that number isn't a projection. They're a month ahead with income, so that's a hard number from September's paychecks. I think they had a 5-paycheck month, which is why it's higher than usual.

This would be easier to understand with headers, but I guess taking two images and editing them together into one is too much effort. Or even just cropping the full headers separate from the ledger and posting two images.

I guess just opening it all up and screenshotting August is also too difficult, but I imagine he needs time to fudge the numbers before sharing it. He's definitely hiding something. There's no reason to be so slippery otherwise. This would be like ten seconds of work to just post it.
No sir. He said they used some of this months income for this month. Which means November will be uber lean - or they need to pull the October paycheck a out of the efund and feel the pain and stop the shenanigans. IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
They pulled $1700 from the efund last month. I don't think it was very painful.

• Locked thread