Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was wondering where you were going with the fluff when you were writing all this stuff about not having enough juice for the turrets. "It's ballistic weapons in a little turret housing. You could run it off a car battery!" *emp cannons fire* "OOOOOOOOOH...."

Well played, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I was basically using it as a shorthand for 'overstress their fossil fuel plants out of ignorance' since bad things happen when you do that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, must have been a typo on the older status images then.

Despite having the Cataphract shut down, this might be an OK-ish lul for the Catapult and Viking to replenish some ammo? There are three sitting duck tank targets out there for the left side guys, but this also might be the last easy chance you get to reload before enemies enter the compound.

(Is it possible to get your missiles hotloaded too? Because that might not be a too terrible idea!!)
((OK it might be terrible))

If the guys on the right can called shot the Cataphract's RT, you should be able to totally blow it away. Might be worth overheating a bit on the Battlemaster to add the LPL in to the mix. Or one of you could nail the Brutus while the other hits the phract. Two gauss to the RT will leave it with 1 structure remaining.

Lots of great choices! (this mission is cool)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The Snake and Wolverine are about to jump into the base next turn. The players should probably work this into consideration when they shuffle around to execute the Cataphract.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Oh, must have been a typo on the older status images then.

Despite having the Cataphract shut down, this might be an OK-ish lul for the Catapult and Viking to replenish some ammo? There are three sitting duck tank targets out there for the left side guys, but this also might be the last easy chance you get to reload before enemies enter the compound.

(Is it possible to get your missiles hotloaded too? Because that might not be a too terrible idea!!)
((OK it might be terrible))

If the guys on the right can called shot the Cataphract's RT, you should be able to totally blow it away. Might be worth overheating a bit on the Battlemaster to add the LPL in to the mix. Or one of you could nail the Brutus while the other hits the phract. Two gauss to the RT will leave it with 1 structure remaining.

Lots of great choices! (this mission is cool)

I'm out of range for the LPL (13 hexes with max range of 10). But I'll be delighted to take the shots (aimed shot, or called shot?). What's the penalty for taking the called shot? If it's 4 or higher, I think Theantero and I should unload full PPC/Gauss into the RT on the grounds that I'd rather overkill than miss killing it because one shot misses.

That Snake is either staying on the ground and moving through the open gate, in which case it's dead, or it's planning to jump into the fort. 0829 or 0929 strike me as most likely as the mechbay will provide cover. The Wolverine probably hops onto the wall. I'd be in favor of the Catapult and Viking continuing to fire to get us to 3 kills ASAP. If they can take the Wolverine in the next turn or two I believe that they'll actually have a little time to do reloading afterward. Assuming the BattleMaster is still active, that is. As for this turn, either do some tank killing or try for shots on that Lao Hu, which I expect to be hiding in 1528 next turn. I'd go for tanks, I think.

Vengeance Counter: 8 (Edge, you shall be avenged!)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think there is only a called shot penalty if you are trying to aim for the head. Otherwise I think it's very easy to hit, since you have -4 to hit shut down or immobile targets, then you have to roll a.. 6, 7, or 8? (I'm not sure here, and I know PTN has posted exactly how this works before) to confirm that you hit where you are aiming.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a standard to-hit on any location except the head (which you can't target unless you have a targeting computer and the target is immobilized), then you roll to confirm you hit the location you want. On a 6, 7, or 8 you succeed, on any other number you roll the hit location randomly.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah, nice. I think that gives the Legacy and Battlemaster guaranteed Gauss/ERPPC hits on the Cataphract if they don't move (4 base + 2 range - 4 immobilized target) = 2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Ah, nice. I think that gives the Legacy and Battlemaster guaranteed Gauss/ERPPC hits on the Cataphract if they don't move (4 base + 2 range - 4 immobilized target) = 2.

Didn't move is not the same as can't move. They're still farting around in their hex so you don't get a huge bonus against them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dis astranagant posted:

Didn't move is not the same as can't move. They're still farting around in their hex so you don't get a huge bonus against them.

No, the Cataphract got nailed with the TSEMPs and it's shut down! Which owns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, I must have missed an update.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This update is pure comstar :smuggo: plus awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes, yes it is. So much TSEMP. Core that drat Cataphract.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Sooooooo... those "SRM Launchers" guarding the gate....

:allears:

Tandem-Charge, hopefully.

That's the generally most bullshit SRM ammunition type, because they auto-crit on a hit with a -2 penalty. So ~17% crit chance per missile hit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MJ12 posted:

That's the generally most bullshit SRM ammunition type, because they auto-crit on a hit with a -2 penalty. So ~17% crit chance per missile hit.

Yesss this would own.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MJ12 posted:

We saw tandem charge missiles in the hands of the Kuritans during the assault on Luthien (I recall them getting plenty of votes for MVP), so the tech exists in universe. Not sure if PTN is willing to deal with that level of bullshit ever again, though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The TSEMP reveal seems to be the only thing that really goes the players' way that turn, their shooting on decent to-hits is pretty unlucky and they've had another headcap edge-burn, plus the gate is down. They haven't taken too much damage and the TSEMPs have definitely had the desired effect of breaking up the Capellans' advance but the fort might not hold them at arm's length for much longer.

I'm a little leery that the edge and the turret upgrades are less reveals and more retroactive equalizers to keep the fight rolling, but then again considering that without them the players would be in really bad shape I guess that's fair in the name of giving the thread and the players a good time.

Would the enemy's jumpers attacking the turret control tower be a good option at this point? The turrets are a lot more threatening now but that might mean it'll be better for the Capellans to just focus them down with all the firepower they've got outside the fort.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Today's fluff had me rollin'

But it's true, things are starting to get tight.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dolash posted:

The TSEMP reveal seems to be the only thing that really goes the players' way that turn, their shooting on decent to-hits is pretty unlucky and they've had another headcap edge-burn, plus the gate is down. They haven't taken too much damage and the TSEMPs have definitely had the desired effect of breaking up the Capellans' advance but the fort might not hold them at arm's length for much longer.

I'm a little leery that the edge and the turret upgrades are less reveals and more retroactive equalizers to keep the fight rolling, but then again considering that without them the players would be in really bad shape I guess that's fair in the name of giving the thread and the players a good time.

Would the enemy's jumpers attacking the turret control tower be a good option at this point? The turrets are a lot more threatening now but that might mean it'll be better for the Capellans to just focus them down with all the firepower they've got outside the fort.

The turret upgrades might be equalizers, though PTN's posts seem to indicate they were always planned for. The Edge was something PTN posted about just a mission or two ago to help take the cheap-shot effect out of how it feels for players. They'd each get a point of edge to be used at his discretion solely for things deemed to be sufficiently bullshit to counterbalance the fact that the players are on a multi-year waiting list and getting headcapped on turn 2 for it would suck. It's basically the successor to his old policy of "if your ride gets shot out from under you instantly due to horrendous luck, you get to come in for next mission too".

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
:black101::respek::science:

I love it when shenanigans happen. :allears: There are several immobilised targets. A captive audience. Teach them the Word. That should buy you some time to repel the jumpers/runners coming in through the breach next turn. It doesn't matter which ones die so long as they die, and immobile enemies are easy to kill.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, maybe reserve your own TSEMP for jumpy fuckers inside the walls since you have so much outside.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
AJ's right. Teach Them the Word

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, maybe reserve your own TSEMP for jumpy fuckers inside the walls since you have so much outside.

This. They want to jump inside the base, that's fine; shut down their 'Mechs and evaporate them at short range.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just note that someone should swap spots at some point since the Viking and Catapult are very much not short range powerhouses. Unless you can turn on hot loaded LRMs.

I'm coming around to plan obliterate the shutdowns though, maneuver and reload later.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Just note that someone should swap spots at some point since the Viking and Catapult are very much not short range powerhouses. Unless you can turn on hot loaded LRMs.

I'm coming around to plan obliterate the shutdowns though, maneuver and reload later.

With the gate down we'll both want to shift to the left, I think, but pulling our firepower off the walls for a turn is a hard sell. I'm going to continue moving left next turn though where depends on what the Snake does. I actually would prefer to see the jumpers inside so we can engage them while moving off the walls. At that point all that heavy firepower outside has to squeeze thru the gate. And I have a plan for that, too.

Also, anybody want to sell me an "8" or higher?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, that was a nice surprise with the turrets. Shutdowns everywhere, one or more Capellan mechs are gonna get blown up next turn. Also, you got the Von Luckner with a penetrating shot to the weakened front armor, nice one there.

On the other hand, the front gate is down, two Cappie fast movers are about to jump into your base next turn, and another GoonGuards mech almost ate a headshot again, burning another point of Edge in the process.

Still, decent set-up for blowing someone up next turn if you can deal with the fast moving jumpers at the same time. I expect to see at least some decent carnage amongst the Cappies next turn, as you guys have a good setup for shooting here.

MadGamer
Jul 10, 2001

I embrace the gay community

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a standard to-hit on any location except the head (which you can't target unless you have a targeting computer and the target is immobilized), then you roll to confirm you hit the location you want. On a 6, 7, or 8 you succeed, on any other number you roll the hit location randomly.

Is that a PTN house rule? because normally you just replace the -4 with a +3 (if you don't have a TarComp).
Not that it makes it a bit of difference, that would put both the Legacy/BM at 9s to call shots to the head. I would personally recommend they just call shots to the RT instead.

Anyway, while I'd like to retreat and rearm, that cataphract is one of the NASTIEST close-in brawlers they have. Any change we get to rake it over, we should. I recommend everyone fire at it.

here are my proposed orders:

No movement
TT to 1328
2x LRM15, 2x LRM 20 at the Cataphract (preferably delayed until after legacy/battlemaster have fired)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Can you call shots with missile weapons? I doubt it, but I wouldn't that be surprised to be wrong either. Just putting 20 missiles into a chosen torso seems rough.

MadGamer posted:

Is that a PTN house rule? because normally you just replace the -4 with a +3 (if you don't have a TarComp).
Not that it makes it a bit of difference, that would put both the Legacy/BM at 9s to call shots to the head. I would personally recommend they just call shots to the RT instead.

I think he uses the TacOps rules for a lot of this stuff (or maybe total war, I don't remember) because it's largely an improvement over the basic rules.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 8, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Standard to-hit with the immobile modifier and subsequent 6-8 roll for non-head locations is in fact the base rule for aimed shots; Total Warfare pg. 110. Came up at length last mission.

Olothreutes posted:

Can you call shots with missile weapons?

No.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 8, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MadGamer posted:

Anyway, while I'd like to retreat and rearm, that cataphract is one of the NASTIEST close-in brawlers they have. Any change we get to rake it over, we should. I recommend everyone fire at it.

here are my proposed orders:

No movement
TT to 1328
2x LRM15, 2x LRM 20 at the Cataphract (preferably delayed until after legacy/battlemaster have fired)

Don't forget contingency firing orders in case the others drop the cat first!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Right, that was some pretty bad luck with out shots. But if we manage to down the Cataphract this turn and then focus down one more enemy we should get at least a partial victory before we get totally swarmed.

I'll be doing a called shot on the RT of the Cataphract with my Gausses and ER mediums unless some brilliant new plan surfaces that manages to change my mind. Hell, I could just always do a called shot on the immobilized Brutus some other turn to destroy it in a metagamy 'it fulfills our victory condition' kind of way, if it comes to it. If I don't get shot in the face again, that is :v:

Theantero fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 8, 2015

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Since I'm fairly sure I don't have LOS to the Snake, I've only got two choices here:

1) stay still and fire at the Huron Warrior at 7s/8s.
2) Turn 180 and fire at the Wolverine at 9s with lasers and TSEMP.

Or I could get off the wall to prepare for the Wolverine next turn.

Does using MASC affect your firing?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Technowolf posted:

Since I'm fairly sure I don't have LOS to the Snake, I've only got two choices here:

1) stay still and fire at the Huron Warrior at 7s/8s.
2) Turn 180 and fire at the Wolverine at 9s with lasers and TSEMP.

Or I could get off the wall to prepare for the Wolverine next turn.

Does using MASC affect your firing?

E:
No, MASC doesn't give you an extra firing penalty on top of the normal +2 for running.

I don't think you should fire the tsemps at the Wolverine while it is outside the wall, if your team can't focus fire it while it's shut down, then it was mostly a waste and just works as a delaying tactic.

Also 9s are only 27% to hit, not great.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 8, 2015

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Can you fire through enemy mechs, our does it interfere with targeting somehow?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheParadigm posted:

Can you fire through enemy mechs, our does it interfere with targeting somehow?

Yup you can, units don't block LoS (Friendly or enemy)

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

We saw tandem charge missiles in the hands of the Kuritans during the assault on Luthien (I recall them getting plenty of votes for MVP), so the tech exists in universe. Not sure if PTN is willing to deal with that level of bullshit ever again, though.
I haven't looked it up but I think I remember somewhere in that battle PTN saying he gave Tandem Charge to a doomed guy with the intent of fluffing his death into the disappearance of TC from the universe. I don't think they'll reappear.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
was it the Grey Death Legion? Because that'd be appropriate.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Takeshi Kurita's Dragon was armed with Tandem-Charge SRMs. It also had a prototype Heavy PPC, so chances are it was a one off custom job and Tandem-Charge warheads won't be seen again. Which is understandable since they're kinda bullshit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
also there are 49 people who dropped two grand on the Battletech kickstarter, so they're in the "you're an in-game character" tier

Niko Snow and the Neckbeards (what was the actual name of your company in your MW2 Mercs LP, ptn?) will ride again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Two different people paid $10,000 to sit down with Stackpole and get "character advice" from him.

• Locked thread