Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My mom had to have her 12 1/2 year old corgi put to sleep today so I would appreciate some cute corgis to share with her.

RIP Cricket, a funny little dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My mom had to have her 12 1/2 year old corgi put to sleep today so I would appreciate some cute corgis to share with her.

Sorry to here that. Here's my antidote to every bad day I've had.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Look at that dog :3: She looks like she was pretty fabulous.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
it's not a corgie but my pup's face and head floof always cheers me up

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tendai posted:

Look at that dog :3: She looks like she was pretty fabulous.

She really was :3: I have a 75 lb saint bernard mix who hates all other dogs but Cricket walked all over him (often literally) and he didn't even give her a dirty look. She was just the princess and everyone knew it.

I found some pictures from when she was a puppy making her look so sweet and innocent when actually she spent every waking moment hauling rear end around the house on those little stumps, biting anything that got in her way.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo she's so fuzzy :3:

And apparently I missed your username when I responded because DUH you're the sheep-and-goats-and-Major lady. Major getting dominated by a prima donna corgi is a pretty great mental image :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I've got you covered!

Most of these I posted earlier in the thread, but IMO the situation called for posting them again. :shobon:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Opposite ends of the spectrum:
https://vine.co/v/hIeOHZrB2JQ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
http://i.imgur.com/zv2rdRi.webm

*flop*

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo :3: That "Sigh, I guess I'll never have fun again" head-flop at the end.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Ok, can someone explain to me why we bred a species of dog that has legs shorter than their jaws? I mean, yes they're absolutely adorable, but I assume there was a practical reason, at least initially.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Rooting through animal burrows?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

Ok, can someone explain to me why we bred a species of dog that has legs shorter than their jaws? I mean, yes they're absolutely adorable, but I assume there was a practical reason, at least initially.

Corgis actually aren't from the crazy (in)breeding fad that's created all the mutant breeds in the last two centuries, which is why not quite as horribly put together as most weirdass dogs (although they've certainly been 'refined' during it, probably too their detriment) They're welsh herding dogs, they've been around for at least a thousand years. They herded cattle by nipping at the hoofs and they evolved shortness (they all have the dwarf gene and have adapted to its permanence) to avoid getting their heads kicked in.

Some of you who've had Corgis have probably noticed latent herding behaviors sometimes.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Oct 7, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Huh. Evolution is really clever sometimes.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Corgis actually aren't from the crazy (in)breeding fad that's created all the mutant breeds in the last two centuries, which is why not quite as horribly put together as most weirdass dogs (although they've certainly been 'refined' during it, probably too their detriment) They're welsh herding dogs, they've been around for at least a thousand years. They herded cattle by nipping at the hoofs and they evolved shortness (they all have the dwarf gene and have adapted to its permanence) to avoid getting their heads kicked in.

Some of you who've had Corgis have probably noticed latent herding behaviors sometimes.

Keeshhound posted:

Huh. Evolution is really clever sometimes.

Even a thousand years is too short a timespan for evolution to work its magic. The corgi (and all other dogs for that matter) is a product of selective breeding by humans. Some farmer probably got a dwarf (or just shorter than average) pup one day and realized that the cattledog not getting its head kicked in was a clever thing and kept breeding it. Even stuff like the Shar Pei's loose folds of skin have its origins in boar hunting/dog fighting and dachhunds are the perfect shape for chasing badgers, foxes and rabbits in their tunnels. We kinda ruined it when we decided to breed for looks since a working dog still needs to balance robust health with whatever traits humans find desirable. Now most of the "pure" breeds are pretty much genetic dead ends.

[

Still cute though.

Winklebottom has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Oct 7, 2015

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Play with me!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Those goddamn ears I can't even take it

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

neonnoodle posted:

Wild turkeys are also dumb as gently caress. They literally sit down in the middle of traffic all over Boston.

Probably why they have a booze named after them - the more you drink the stupider you get

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Golden-i posted:

Play with me!

One of my cats is really into grabbing at people when she wants attention. Just pat pat pat, pet me!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BattleMaster posted:

A group of divers encountered a pair of Carribean reef squids that wanted to hang out with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WJBA8qBKY

Pretty good squid squad there

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

:agreed: :3:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Acquaintance's corgi, as a pup and an adult.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone should post corgi crossbreeds where they all have corgi bodies but their other breed heads.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=404AV1UjAKg

Reef squids (and especially bigfin reef squids) are seriously among the prettiest animals on Earth and I think squids in general are under appreciated.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

muscles like this? posted:

Someone should post corgi crossbreeds where they all have corgi bodies but their other breed heads.

My parents have a dog named Sally that's a corgi mixed with a Britney Spaniel. Spaniel coat, giant floofy tail, floppy ears on a stubby, round corgi body.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/awesome-corgi-cross-breeds#.di7qgLamN

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

HAPPY BOING

http://i.imgur.com/v4lTQEK.webm

BOING

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

muscles like this? posted:

Okay!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
These are my bunnies eating some weeds I plucked for them.

And the white one in the back and the gray broken one on the right made a small pile of babies. Here is one of them.

Expect more pictures as they grow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Winklebottom posted:

Even a thousand years is too short a timespan for evolution to work its magic. The corgi (and all other dogs for that matter) is a product of selective breeding by humans. Some farmer probably got a dwarf (or just shorter than average) pup one day and realized that the cattledog not getting its head kicked in was a clever thing and kept breeding it. Even stuff like the Shar Pei's loose folds of skin have its origins in boar hunting/dog fighting and dachhunds are the perfect shape for chasing badgers, foxes and rabbits in their tunnels. We kinda ruined it when we decided to breed for looks since a working dog still needs to balance robust health with whatever traits humans find desirable. Now most of the "pure" breeds are pretty much genetic dead ends.

Eh, rapid physical adaptions can take place (within certain limits) in remarkably short timeframes when animals are inserted into a new situation, especially with animals like dogs that have an extremely high rate of morphological change.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BattleMaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=404AV1UjAKg

Reef squids (and especially bigfin reef squids) are seriously among the prettiest animals on Earth and I think squids in general are under appreciated.

I agree. Squids seem like the most under appreciated cephalopods.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
My mother's cancer doctor is stopping all her treatments and starting hospice care. My father, a man I thought was stronger than steel, just finished crying himself to sleep.

Cute thread, I hate to ask for your help again, but I could really, really use the cutest, most adorable stuff you've got.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alter Ego posted:

My mother's cancer doctor is stopping all her treatments and starting hospice care. My father, a man I thought was stronger than steel, just finished crying himself to sleep.

Cute thread, I hate to ask for your help again, but I could really, really use the cutest, most adorable stuff you've got.

I'm sorry; cancer sucks :(

I'm going to unleash the high-grade stuff. Facebook videos that I held back on because I prefer embedded Youtube videos:

Capybara twins born at the Houston zoo: https://www.facebook.com/houstonzoo/videos/10153746144567526/
Capybara sipping running water from a pipe: https://www.facebook.com/capybarabook/videos/884563781639900/
Capybara rolling over for scratches: https://www.facebook.com/capybarabook/videos/874363639326581/
Can you handle almost 4 minutes of a capybara getting scratched and falling asleep? https://www.facebook.com/capybarabook/videos/874357772660501/

Also not for everyone, but here's some more squids getting kraken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz4FEgR-jZA

Not quite as pretty as the bigfin reef squids but I like them grasping the egg sac in all eight arms as they move in to plant it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

skatebirb.

aaaaagh time to wake up

nsfw CLEARLY :3:

More seriously, I'm so sorry :(

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Man, Tendai that's making me go find my cat and give him pettings.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:stare:

I want this dog in my life so badly.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

This dog looks like it serves no other purpose in life except making the rounds at house parties getting face scratches :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

It's like a sphinx, but both halves are dogs.

• Locked thread