Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i blame myself even when it isn't my fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Personally, I only ever blame myself, or God.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Personally, I only ever blame myself, or God.

Or bads. Even if I am the bad.

I could use a bit more money though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How does A3S or whatever compare to hellfire citadel in wow. Are we talking like heroic, easier than heroic but harder than normal, or harder than heroic but easier than mythic?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
A3S took 687 pulls to kill.
Mythic Archimonde took 470.

Granted there is some Apples to Oranges comparison here, but it should give you a good idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hivac posted:

i blame myself even when it isn't my fault

It's Selene's fault.

Well, it's your fault if Selene isn't out.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Chyea posted:

"Medium"-core statics really don't have an excuse for being unable to clear A4S other than player skill. Gear is no longer an issue, the strategy is known, the only remaining factor is playing well.

What do you consider medium core? How many hours a week?

Boris Galerkin posted:

How does A3S or whatever compare to hellfire citadel in wow. Are we talking like heroic, easier than heroic but harder than normal, or harder than heroic but easier than mythic?

All of savage is on mythic levels of difficulty. However a3s and a4s as seen below are on part with end boss mythic difficulty.

Axle_Stukov posted:

A3S took 687 pulls to kill.
Mythic Archimonde took 470.

Granted there is some Apples to Oranges comparison here, but it should give you a good idea.

If we had actual boss mods and non poo poo net code I bet a3s attempts would be cut in half. I'm sure chyea could comment better on that. And a lot of archimonde wipes iirc were in the first phase due to not enough dps the first week they got to him.

Drizvolta posted:

While tanking as a DRK I had a SCH in neverreap complain I was taking too much damage. If I'm in full law gear, avoiding aoes, keeping enemies in front of me to parry, and using cooldowns, is there something else I'm missing? Or is DRK really that fragile even at 60?

I will also accept the answer that the SCH was bad :v:

You were probably fine and that sch is used to the 95% of tanks that are vit heroes that pull one pack at a time. If I was a healer and popped into an exdr where the tank had 20k hp I'd just leave.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 7, 2015

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Chyea posted:

"Medium"-core statics really don't have an excuse for being unable to clear A4S other than player skill. Gear is no longer an issue, the strategy is known, the only remaining factor is playing well.

Can confirm. Was stuck on A3S for about 6 weeks or so, then we caved in and replaced a bad player in my static, killed A3S. Three weeks later, downed A4S. My static also raided roughly 12 hours per week.

White mage/Astro is viable.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 7, 2015

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I unsubbed from the game, since I haven't played recently. If space is needed in DGKK, Alyssym Rondelet can be removed.

Thanks for making me feel welcome, all.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Totally new player here, do enough people play old content that I won't miss out on any story? Also, is there a good lore resource that at least hides spoilers? Like I get no one really remembers what happened during the cataclysm but I'd like to know a little more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Totally new player here, do enough people play old content that I won't miss out on any story? Also, is there a good lore resource that at least hides spoilers? Like I get no one really remembers what happened during the cataclysm but I'd like to know a little more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ld57RYkAWA

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also you won't have any trouble seeing the ARR content-mechanics are in place to encourage veteran players to revisit them. In fact I'll go ahead and warn you that almost all the expansion is gated behind completing the MSQ quest.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I wasn't planning on even getting the expansion until I finish the content before it. I'm loving it so far, my Thaumaturge looks acceptably black magey even at level 11.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, they added duty roulettes in the early days of ARR to get leveled players to do older content. The big one is leveling roulette which tries to group roulette players with players that queued for a specific dungeon with a focus on new players doing dungeons for the first time. The roulette gives bonus EXP upon completion, awarding more the bigger the difference between the roulette's character's class level and the dungeon's level so high level players getting a low level dungeon can still get decent EXP from it. If a character is max level in it they'll get endgame currency instead of the EXP bonus. There's similar roulette for other content and they help get high level players to do older content. e2: You'll unlock it once you complete the second dungeon which is around level 16 or so. /e2:

It doesn't cover everything though, the ARR/level 50 8-man and 24-man raids don't have a roulette for them. The 8-mans will require you to round up a group to do them (e: there is a queue but I'd imagine the queues are long dead at this point /e:) and the 24-mans require sitting in a queue for an hour. Neither are required to reach the expansion but there is story in both.

The roulettes will be slower at this point though. You'll get priority when you do the dungeons for the first time but after that it's the regular queue and the game's currently in a mid-patch lull. Unless you're a tank, then queues are practically instant. Healers might take a bit, DPS have the longest queue times.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 7, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I wasn't planning on even getting the expansion until I finish the content before it. I'm loving it so far, my Thaumaturge looks acceptably black magey even at level 11.
The real dress-up begins at 50 when you unlock glamours. :getin:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Scrublord Prime posted:

DPS have the longest queue times.

Aw, drat. Like how long?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The real dress-up begins at 50 when you unlock glamours. :getin:

Oh I'm intrigued now. I've lost so much time to gw2 pretty princessing.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 7, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I would recommend getting the xpac before you hit 50 that way you'll already be 2.5 levels give or take up on the MSQ.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Lazy Scholar in low-level roulette is totally a thing.

It was really funny when I was used to sub-30 dungeons popping with my 50 SCH and then got in to Drazemael. Forgot I wasn't a DPS with a faerie healer. I smartened up after the first wipe.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Don't wait until you finish all of the 2.55 MSQ, get the expansion once you're close to hitting 50. You'll have a really good idea of if you want to keep playing the game once you're in the 40s, so it's a safe point to judge whether or not the expansion is worth it to you. It's been said before, but the reason you want to have the expansion early is so you can unlock the level cap - you have an enormous amount of quests to go through once you hit 50 (as in weeks or even months depending on how often you play), and without the expansion you're basically throwing away a couple levels worth of effort

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

2.0 is basically a full length JRPG.

Then 2.1-2.55 is another full length JRPG.

With Heavensward providing a third one.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Gauss Barrel's associated cast time on split shot is throwing me off my game more than I expected. When split is instant at the very least it feels like you have a lot more time to react to a Slug proc during that GCD, compared to when it procs after a cast that completes near the ability queuing window. It's probably just a practice issue but I'm not used to it yet and sometimes have a split queued already when the slug buff pops up. It feels very similar to how Firestarter / Thunderstuck procs would line up now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Dr Pepper posted:

2.0 is basically a full length JRPG.

Then 2.1-2.55 is another full length JRPG.

With Heavensward providing a third one.

no but theres not enough content, s-e needs to produce more things

vvv Absolutely, it's just weird when it's phrased as "a lack of content" full-stop. There's plenty of content, there's just too long of a gap from the forced vacation

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's less that there's not enough content, it's more that if you've been playing since launch you've had over two years to complete the content.

In any case, ever wanted to know all about the Draconian language? Because Koji Fox posted an enormous post about it on the Official Forums.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The other big story thing is the Binding Coil of Bahamut, which you can probably get some goons to do with you if you don't mind doing it at level 60 instead of level 50.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I really hope they provide some incentive for people to run it come 3.1. A relic or some other quest purpose, a roulette, anything.

Xenoveritas posted:

In any case, ever wanted to know all about the Draconian language? Because Koji Fox posted an enormous post about it on the Official Forums.

This is really cool.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 7, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

vOv posted:

The other big story thing is the Binding Coil of Bahamut, which you can probably get some goons to do with you if you don't mind doing it at level 60 instead of level 50.

I gotta be able to get a character into Excalibur though :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's a lot of content that I haven't covered, it's just that there's not a lot of people doing it right now since it's all level 50 stuff. We did have a good coil session that got a lot of us through last night though!

By the way, DGKKers - I noticed that a lot of the chocobos in the stable haven't been doing much - is it possible to maybe start doing an extended push to start leveling each others' birds up?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Unless you are totally fine with sitting in a queue forever (or want to try to get an unholy alliance of goons to do it together) I wouldn't worry about the old 24 person raids until 3.1, as the long queue times is something they said they'd fix, so either there's probably at minimum a new roulette coming for them, and/or it's going to be part of the new relic quests.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boten Anna posted:

Unless you are totally fine with sitting in a queue forever (or want to try to get an unholy alliance of goons to do it together) I wouldn't worry about the old 24 person raids until 3.1, as the long queue times is something they said they'd fix, so either there's probably at minimum a new roulette coming for them, and/or it's going to be part of the new relic quests.

If you can grab a few people for a run, I found the 24 person queues aren't so bad. Waiting by yourself is gonna take a real long time, though.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Aw, drat. Like how long?

It's been a while since I was last on so I can't give any good numbers. I'd eyeball 15m+ queues? Basically start a queue when you're doing the bear rear end collection side quests.

I'm glad they said they'd do something about the 24-man queues. Those are my favorite content in the game and I want to do them again :unsmith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

nuru posted:

Gauss Barrel's associated cast time on split shot is throwing me off my game more than I expected. When split is instant at the very least it feels like you have a lot more time to react to a Slug proc during that GCD, compared to when it procs after a cast that completes near the ability queuing window. It's probably just a practice issue but I'm not used to it yet and sometimes have a split queued already when the slug buff pops up. It feels very similar to how Firestarter / Thunderstuck procs would line up now.

If you got good reaction time you can hit the procs before the buff actually shows up/highlights on the hotbar because it'll say +whatever on the right side of your character. It's not a big DPS loss to just pretend it's Firestarter and just cast through it though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you have ammo and take a Gauss Split shot then immediately queue Slug before the proc shows, will it still properly line up with the proc?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sounds like we need a 24-man version of Cid's Angels. To nerd out a bit, probably something like Tetraicosa since that seems to be the word prefix version of 24 (like "haxa" for 6) and is apparently used when talking about crystal structures

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I gotta be able to get a character into Excalibur though :(

Now's the time to get on Excalibur since we're pretty much at the trough of the patch cycle.

EDIT: As for Binding Coil, I'm part of a static that's doing it synced. So if that interests you give us a ring.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

nuru posted:

If you have ammo and take a Gauss Split shot then immediately queue Slug before the proc shows, will it still properly line up with the proc?

Yes.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

seiferguy posted:

If you can grab a few people for a run, I found the 24 person queues aren't so bad. Waiting by yourself is gonna take a real long time, though.

Either way it's not impossible if you don't mind queuing and then either doing other poo poo like crafting or wandering off entirely (within earshot of the queue noise), but if you hold your proverbial breath for the queue, it won't be very fun.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boten Anna posted:

Either way it's not impossible if you don't mind queuing and then either doing other poo poo like crafting or wandering off entirely (within earshot of the queue noise), but if you hold your proverbial breath for the queue, it won't be very fun.

Yeah, more people doing it would be cool because getting the items for Ironworks weapons would be pretty nice as opposed to gathering all the materials to craft a substandard HQ weapon at 50.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Hey guys, I'm trying to register on ffgoons, and I'm having this weird problem. I filled out the registration page for an account, but when I go to click "Submit Registration" down at the bottom, nothing happens. Like, nothing tries to load, nothing seems to happen at all. It's like I'm clicking on blank space. I tried it with two different browsers, tried reloading the page multiple times, still can't get past this. Any ideas?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've seen Excalibur open at weirdly "peak" hours while other, smaller servers like Brynhildr were closed.

So I have no idea what's going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

retpocileh posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to register on ffgoons, and I'm having this weird problem. I filled out the registration page for an account, but when I go to click "Submit Registration" down at the bottom, nothing happens. Like, nothing tries to load, nothing seems to happen at all. It's like I'm clicking on blank space. I tried it with two different browsers, tried reloading the page multiple times, still can't get past this. Any ideas?

I was not able to replicate this, it doesn't seem to be a problem serverside. PM me your email and I can see if an account was created or not, or set one up for you.

• Locked thread