Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Calico Heart posted:

Just saw the finale. Ughhhhh. Maybe I'm alone here but for me every time the show tries to do an emotional or dark ending or anything of the sort to do with Rick it's been groan-inducingly terrible. This is a show with such a silly world with such loving rear end in a top hat protagonist that I feel it's impossible to do, especially how quickly they always try to do it. I can feel the show failing to manipulate me and it suuuuucks

You're not alone, but threads for Dan Harmon shows inevitably devolve into vicious circlejerks that hemorrhage posters with any dissenting voice because his shows attract fans that think that wacky sitcoms and genre parodies that break the fourth wall and lampshade conventions are so mind-blowingly sophisticated and deep that anybody who doesn't like the show is obviously just too stupid and simple-minded to "get" it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Some folks don't handle complexity well. If a show's wacky and funny, then it should only be wacky and funny, how dare they try to do something interesting with the characters or reveal character or show growth!

Thank you for the helpful illustration, Stephen Universe Mashup Avatar Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think a lot of it has to do with expectations. If you're introduced to the show after someone who watched the first season told you it's got depth and character development and poo poo then yeah, it might disappoint. It does have a lot of depth and character development, but only relatively speaking, compared to other cartoons. The only comparable cartoon I can think of right now that has the same sort of development and overarching plots while still being episodic is Futurama, which dealt with similar issues like alcoholism, death and familial relationships but in a much more lighthearted manner.

On the other hand, if you, like me, pick up the pilot and go in expecting something more akin to the simpsons in space, albeit more crude, you're very pleasantly surprised. I mean, after the first episode I figured it would basically be an episodic Back to the Future parody with fart and dick jokes and violence. There's a reason why many think the first episode is the worst, because it had the promise of being a worse lolrandom crude adventure time, and it consistently defying that expecation and really making the characters their own did lead to me to invest in the them emotionally. Obviously not on the same level as a good novel or whatever, but more than most cartoon characters. The Simpsons, for example, aren't undeveloped characters as such, there's depth in their motivations and personalities, but aside from the changes between doofus homer and rear end in a top hat homer they're completely flat, they never develop or change. Im contrast Rick and Mort started out as parodies of Doc and Marty, but they really are their own personas now, and a whole lot different from the Rick and Morty we saw at the start of the first season.

And now, burp, I really am going to call it a night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How long is it going to be until someone writes a fan fiction about Rick's long and tragic past, while he sits in prison, and completely misses the point of the character?

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 8, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

How long is it going to be until someone writes a fan fiction about Rick's long and tragic past, completely missing the point of the character?

Given that this already exists for Rick's relationship with Morty, I would not at all be surprised to learn someone's working on it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Every character probably impregnated every other character in one way or another by now.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Cliffhanger at the end of a second season = long overarching story, you heard it here first folks.

Who said that? I'm just against the people calling for more of that poo poo, I personally want more of what they've been doing. Not some stupid arc about the council of ricks fighting the galactic whatever...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

First person to find said fan fic, I will do a dramatic reading of it with my best Rick voice.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My kid gets to do the announcements at his grade school on Friday, and I am trying to talk him into closing with, "And thaaaaat's the way the news goes."

He knows the reference.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

First person to find said fan fic, I will do a dramatic reading of it with my best Rick voice.

if you cannot say "mmmorty" with the level of derision that rick does don't even bother

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whalley posted:

if you cannot say "mmmorty" with the level of derision that rick does don't even bother

I can.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

He tells good stories that a lot of you guys don't seem to appreciate.

I was already pissed about waiting for the next season and the end credits were a smack in the face.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
This thread is bad and I'm glad that it'll be 2017 when it's relevant again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah what the hell. This show has been off the air for 3-4 days and this thread is poo poo again. Ooo ee

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Yeah what the hell. This show has been off the air for 3-4 days and this thread is poo poo again. Ooo ee

Maybe they'll gas the thread in tiiiiiiime, Rick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eifert Posting posted:

I was already pissed about waiting for the next season and the end credits were a smack in the face.

Why does everyone hate waiting for TV shows?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

FireWorksWell posted:

Since the season ended, I figure we could have a little survey.

What's your favorite episode in the show's run thus far, and why?

Total Rickall. It's the episode you can show to anyone with a quick explanation of Rick and Morty's premise, and they'll get the episode. It's just universally good without having to be a Rick and Morty episode, but also better for being that.

Who's your favorite side character?
Dog. "Where are my testicles, Summer"

Do you have a favorite joke/gag/line from the show?
Implausible Rick catchphrases "Graaaasssss.... tastes bad"

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?

2nd least favorite:
Raising Gazorpazrop. A plot is forgetabble, B plot is really lazy. But it sets us up for the Gazorazorpfield gags in the TV episode so it has some value.

My least favorite is the purge episode. I really didn't even understand the point of the episode.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CelticPredator posted:

Why does everyone hate waiting for TV shows?

Because they spend time reading the TVIV thread which inevitably turns to poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Season three premiere will be a very special presentation of Terrance and Phillip

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Steve Yun posted:

Season three premiere will be a very special presentation of Terrance and Phillip

You mean Ball Fondlers.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Two Brothers: The Movie: The Series.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Nephthys posted:

"poo poo dog, my girlfriend left me because I was ruining her life and now I just ruined my entire families lives and unlike her they're going to just put up with it no matter how much my presence screws them over. Unless I do something about it."

It's pretty apparent that Rick being a negative influence on the people around him is an on-going concept. Two things don't need to be identical to be thematically linked. Rick being depressed and self-destructive as gently caress is a major part of his character. Or if you want to be more literal, Rick being depressed and suicidal can definitely lead into his self-destructive, sacrificial actions in the finale.

No look the point was attempted suicide is a huge loving deal that was written for a shock ending and then never brought up again, because that's not the point of the show. That Rick is consistently a gently caress-up is not developing that scene, it's just his character being consistent. Your kinda tortured non-textual reasoning is irrelevant.

I don't want Rick and Morty to be about the serious trials and tribulations of being a drunk mad scientist, and luckily it isn't. So let's not pretend that when the writers write something really messed up for shock value and then never address it again, Rick and Morty becomes a beautiful Greek tragedy because the shock scene in question happened to be sad instead of funny.

Taeke posted:

I disagree here. It's just different ways of dealing with it. Is using a sad song (really effectively, apparently) any more over the top than DMX's X Gon Give It To Ya while beefed up Rick and Summer beat the poo poo out of the Devil, a neo nazi and the westbore baptist church?

Good question! Maybe you should think about the differences in those scenes and the difference in response instead of trying to predict who's British and who's American (incorrect btw) or when people starting watching the show (also wrong, Mooorty).

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 8, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The fact that Rick Sanchez turned himself in to save his family shows that scene wasn't forgotten. It was bubbling up for the whole season. Rick is a toxic monster and he knows it. Instead of killing himself, this time, he does something that actually does some good for someone else.

That's his arc.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, edited 'cause it wasn't that bad. However it's still not relevant!

e: also it's not an arc, it's the same action - he hasn't changed. both times his solution to being a gently caress-up is to remove himself from the equation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But this time he did it to serve something else. Not just to deal with his self loathing.

That's a change in character. He could've easily just rammed his ship into a sun or something, but that would be boring.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

But this time he did it to serve something else. Not just to deal with his self loathing.

That's a change in character. He could've easily just rammed his ship into a sun or something, but that would be boring.

He did it to serve other people the first time too - after all, if he's dead, he can never hurt anyone like he hurt his ex again.

Also let's remember the dark joke behind the scene is that Rick can try to kill himself and nobody notices or cares. Our last shot is Jerry loving up the weedwhacker again. That's kinda why it's baffling to see it turned into Part One of Rick Sanchez: The Road to Redemption.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't think it was his road to redemption. But I think it was a crucial insight into his mindset. He was on a self destructive path this season. Some ways more subtle than others. But basically it boils down too, he's lonely and broken, and only his daughter and his grandson and granddaughter really give a poo poo about him, and he treats them like all garbage.

His only real friend in the world is getting married, and Rick finds this to be a loving joke, because of his past. He can't escape his own head, not even for a second. He only exists to serve himself, mostly because everyone is an idiot in his eyes. When his family is telling Jerry that they only love Rick because he's family, not because they actually really love him as a person (Well, some of the time) that is kind of the final straw for his character. He's a character that really shouldn't be around anyone, but still longs to. Regardless how he acts.

All of that mixed together, with the stakes being high, he decided to do something that didn't serve himself.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rick also seems to think in the very short term a lot, especially when it comes to being self-destructive. It's part of his certainty, which was a focal point in A Rickle in Time. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't resign himself to his fate in prison.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's another good point too, yeah.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

CelticPredator posted:

How long is it going to be until someone writes a fan fiction about Rick's long and tragic past, while he sits in prison, and completely misses the point of the character?

It's called Rick and Morty

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean the super serious moment had the angstiest song they could've possibly picked outside of a Smiths album and then the credits tag made fun of you for getting all sad and dark about it. So if you want to keep feeling that way about it, fine, just don't tell people who didn't take it seriously that they're objectively wrong on the internet, the worst crime in all of space.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenzarin posted:

Ending was good, it explained more of what happened. Ricks marriage ended, he went off a fought a rebellion of a galactic empire.

Squanchy is obviously Chewbacca to Rick's Han Solo so I guess than mean that Bird Person was Luke?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Calico Heart posted:

jesus christ

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Calico Heart posted:

:chanpop:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I went out looking for a suitable candidate but I found a story where Rick and Morty are both celebrity chefs and also in an incestuous relationship and decided to walk away.

I mean I was expecting the incest because it is the internet but for some reason the chef part was the final straw.

But I also found this (finale spoilers):

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds loving amazing actually. Despite the incest.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Could the next six pages please just be Chef Rick quotes?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

quote:

“As u-usual Morty, your settings are unorganized at best and chaotic at worst. The crystal glasses are nice, but you’re only using them to draw attention away from the fact that you’re mixing two sets of silverware.”

The story has tags for biting and bloodplay as well as incest so uh enjoy the snippets I throw off as I play chicken with a precipice of gay bitey bloody incestuous fanfiction.

E:

quote:

“This-this is a veri cherry grove, M-morty. The-the-these cherries, Morty, taste a little like champagne, but sweeter, and they make just an incandescent jam.”

“So, is my knife for cutting the fruit off?”

“Nope, for the spiders.”

E2:

quote:

“The cherries produce iqiniso sap when they’re ripe. It’s commonly used as a truth serum.”

“Oh man Rick, ev-every question?”

“What is the dumbest thing you’ve done since coming to work here?”

“When I had to pan sear the salmon steaks before they were plated at the front I accidentally caught my shirt on fire, and I grabbed a cup thinking it was water inside but it was fish sauce and I poured it all over myself before I realized my mistake.”

That's the tamest of the many questions Rick asks. So far this is like 90% pre-smut, 10% chef.

E3:

quote:

“What the gently caress was that!?”

“I’m sorry, chef.”

“Sorry? Is-is-is sorry going to get the next plate out faster!?”

“No, chef.”

“Is sorry going to wipe my loving floor up?”

“No chef, I am.”

“drat right you are, you clumsy, butter-fingered, m-m-maladroit excuse for a chef!”

“Yes chef.”

“Do you know that we’re busy tonight? How far back is that mistake of yours going to push yo-yo-your plates, huh? Myguests have to wait now because of your incompetence.”

“Yes, chef.”

“Hurry the gently caress up.”

“Yes chef.”

“Do not gently caress this next pan up, you little poo poo, we have guests waiting for their food.”

“Yes, chef.”

“Y-y-you better not drop this next batch, Morty, or I swear to god you will not line cook again for a year.”

“Yes, chef. Understood chef.”

And then they hosed. Not even kidding.

E4: Actually that sums up the rest of the story. Weird emotionally abusive gay incestuous smut.

For those that want to experience it for themselves, consider yourselves warned: http://archiveofourown.org/works/4910314

Tehan fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 8, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ooh, that'd be a fun one. I'll record it later today.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Oh god drat it. I was halfway through making this exact video.

That's what I get for putting it off, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Lt. Danger posted:

He did it to serve other people the first time too - after all, if he's dead, he can never hurt anyone like he hurt his ex again.

Also let's remember the dark joke behind the scene is that Rick can try to kill himself and nobody notices or cares. Our last shot is Jerry loving up the weedwhacker again. That's kinda why it's baffling to see it turned into Part One of Rick Sanchez: The Road to Redemption.

It's a shame they didn't animate Jerry looking over at Rick and shaking his head, because all he would have seen was his deadbeat father-in-law passed out once again.

• Locked thread