Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think this is still my favorite panel in this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I allow any and all differing opinions on Skypiea's quality as long as everyone agrees Norland and Calgara have the best bromance of all time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That really is what struck me the most during the reread, how much Ace's initially tragic (and still super tragic don't get me wrong) death has to do with him being a dumbass goaded by Akainu and falling right into his hands. Like, he was on his way out and maybe could've made it, validating the deaths of the people who had fought to give him that one opportune moment and then he just throws it away cuz Akainu says some mean things.
Guess that's just Ace though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That really is what struck me the most during the reread, how much Ace's initially tragic (and still super tragic don't get me wrong) death has to do with him being a dumbass goaded by Akainu and falling right into his hands. Like, he was on his way out and maybe could've made it, validating the deaths of the people who had fought to give him that one opportune moment and then he just throws it away cuz Akainu says some mean things.
Guess that's just Ace though.

Ace is dumb, news at 11

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

It's actually been long enough that I don't even remember what any of my particular problems with Skypiea were, just that I recall generally disliking it.

For anybody following either of the Jojo threads though, I first read Skypiea around the same time I read Part 4, and I disliked Part 4 back then too so I'm not inclined to take my past opinions on One Piece all that seriously as I forge ahead into the future.

It seems to be a love/hate arc for a lot of people. People who don't like it generally cite the length and villains outside of Eneru being pretty boring.

Personally I love the arc, I loved the setting, loved the fights, loved the story, Nolan and Calgaras flashback is one of the best in the series and in general I loved how it really felt like a pirates adventure, because the Strawhats weren't up there to save anyone or help anything, they were just there to steal gold and ring the bell if they found it. When they run from the island because they think the natives are gonna fire a massive cannon at them for taking the gold is one of the best and most memorable moments in One Piece for me and it's mainly because it ends like a proper adventure would.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asuron posted:

Uhh it's entirely Ace's fault. He turned back to take taunts from a man that was obviously goading him, immediately got beaten in their first clash because magma beats fire in this scenario ( don't know why, but if candlewax beats poison no point questioning it) and Luffy who is basically on fumes at this point ( How is he doing anything dumb here? If anything he's the level headed one out of the two when he tells Ace to ignore him and keep running) collapses on the spot. Ace would've lost if they kept fighting and Luffy collapsing just sped up that result.

If anything blame the Whitebeard pirates for not forming up around them and getting them the hell out of there, instead of only putting Luffy who is clearly exhausted and about ready to collapse as his only defense.

Ace is absolutely a dumb gently caress for falling for the weakest goading since Marty McFly was called chicken. Oh no, the super jackass who hates pirates anyway is talking poo poo about people. Also the guy who he is talking poo poo about is right over there and just declared he's going out in a blaze of glory. poo poo's about to take care of itself.

Luffy however didn't just collapse, so Ace ended up defending him. Luffy was loving around with his vivre card and not paying attention. Yeah, Ace should have ignored Akainu and kept running and he should have known Luffy was close to done, but Luffy's the one who got distracted in the middle of a super war.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

people make genuine mistakes in one piece and pay for them although maybe never as finally as Ace (and Luffy) payed for theirs

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Ace died because he gave up on his dream, whereas even in his darkest hour, Luffy kept his alive.

Anyway, the flashbacks are the best part of One Piece, and Skypiea's is 100% kickass. Fisher Tiger is also 100% kickass and thus Fishman Island is also great.

I've always felt the two arcs were the most "American" as they reference the colonization of the New World and race relations and have wondered how the Japanese reaction to them differs from American ones.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Ace did get tricked/goaded, but he couldn't leave without Luffy anyway, and just like in his flashback, he can't run, even for his own life, if it means leaving his comrades behind. I guess he could have picked Luffy up, but it's reasonable to assume that would have slowed them both down enough for Akainu, who was RIGHT THERE, to attack them.

The Whitebeard pirates didn't help because they had no idea Luffy was at his limit, so once the seastone was off Ace, they figured they were all home free. Then within the space of a few seconds it's Luffy down, Akainu about to kill him, and Ace had no choice. Being goaded really just made him clash with Akainu once, where he got burned. The killing blow was meant for Luffy, Ace just dove in front of it. It was technically Luffy's fault.

But if Luffy hadn't been there, Ace would have died earlier. So it's really just a tragic moment.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Robin is the best. That elephant remains the coolest loving thing since Skypia. I can't wait until later in the arc when the mists clear a bit and we see what's on its back.

I'm really :ohdear: for the revolutionaries now though. They're by far my favorite faction, but Blackbeard is The Endboss, so it's not like he can totally fail here. Even if he gets chumped Magellan style, it would only be a temporary setback as he wins an even greater victory.

derra posted:

Anyway, the flashbacks are the best part of One Piece, and Skypiea's is 100% kickass. Fisher Tiger is also 100% kickass and thus Fishman Island is also great.

I've always felt the two arcs were the most "American" as they reference the colonization of the New World and race relations and have wondered how the Japanese reaction to them differs from American ones.
Skypia is as much Israel/Palestine (the land having a religious significance to both groups) as it is European/Native Americans. Probably also relevant: Yamato/Ainu.

The great thing, and what makes it my favorite One Piece arc, is that it's not just a straight up copy of any particular situation. It's its own thing that makes sense in its own context, even if it's definitely informed by historical precedent. Just the most basic setup- that Earth is rare in the sky, and so is sacred, so a whole island is incredibly sacred... but it's the homeland of another group of people already- is incredibly compelling and very naturally produces the intense religious conflict that works as an easy to understand parallel for a lot of real conflicts..

Skypia is so cool.

Fisher Tiger seems pretty blatantly American race relations from my perspective, but who knows what I'm missing. If it's really 100% that, it's interesting to see such a passionate take on that issue from a Japanese perspective.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'd not really noticed blackbeards flag before. Ate there any theories to go with that? Other than the cerberus DF?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Didn't the anime completely ruin Hody's part in the cycle of human-fishman hatred by changing his "I have no logical reason to hate humans" motivation to "some humans were pricks to me as a kid"?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I'd not really noticed blackbeards flag before. Ate there any theories to go with that? Other than the cerberus DF?

Some people think the three skulls represent the three Fates.

I like that the BB Fleet's ships are made to resemble their old raft.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
Did anyone else get Discworld vibes from the elelphant that holds up Zou?

I seem to vaguely recall someone mentioning that the elephant had been referenced in past manga chapters, but I find the timing curious with Pratchett passing away so recently...maybe Oda was a fan?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Millions posted:

Didn't the anime completely ruin Hody's part in the cycle of human-fishman hatred by changing his "I have no logical reason to hate humans" motivation to "some humans were pricks to me as a kid"?

Yeah, more or less. He just grew up in blind racism.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Millions posted:

Instead of the humans having never done anything directly to Hodi, he instead just growing up steeped in hate, the anime decided to have Hodi and his gang almost get caught by slavers. Like, already in nets, totally hosed, but rescued by Arlong and the gang.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gyges posted:

Instead of the humans having never done anything directly to Hodi, he instead just growing up steeped in hate, the anime decided to have Hodi and his gang almost get caught by slavers. Like, already in nets, totally hosed, but rescued by Arlong and the gang.

The message on the cycle of hate was the one thing that arc had going for it, and they hosed it up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I honestly have to wonder if the anime folks just didn't understand that in the least, or if they decided to go with what they did because they thought it was better.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I have to say, they might have feared it would go over kids' heads. The concept of inherited racism and hatred without any personal experience is a pretty heavy one considering the other major villains include a Bad Cop who turns into a Cat Man and a Bad Lightning God.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's been forever since I read Skypiea but I remember thinking the snake was totally rad.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shugojin posted:

It's been forever since I read Skypiea but I remember thinking the snake was totally rad.

That fine tempered snake?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shugojin posted:

Speaking of the snake, one thing that impresses me about the Skypiea flashback is that Norland was able to loving take out a massive snake in a single blow, whereas Zoro, the Skypieans, the Shandarians, and even Enel weren't able to kill Nora.

Though Enel did beat Nora pretty conclusively.

Really makes you wonder how strong the guy must've been.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Very likely refers to the three fates. His crew goes on and about destiny and fate from the moment we first meet them like when Augur is shooting down birds saying it was their fate to die, or when Doc Q is passing out apples to see whose fate it is to die, so it's a natural fit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I enjoy how Doc Q is pretty much perpetually at death's door.

His horse, too.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Bad Seafood posted:

It's actually been long enough that I don't even remember what any of my particular problems with Skypiea were, just that I recall generally disliking it.

I remember feeling the same way with skypeia. The jaya arc, and the series in general, had set up a bunch of big mysteries only to take a massive detour when a ship falls or of the sky. At the time there was no way of knowing if one piece would actually deliver on all of those plot points it set up. Were they all empty gimmicks with the sole purpose of keeping readers hooked, or would Oda address these plot points eventually? A lot of shonen series (and serialized fiction in general) tends to run into this problem. We find out later that One Piece does deliver on what it promises, it just takes its sweet time.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Regarding the latest chapter, I like that Blackbeard's ship is just the raft he was using earlier, except with a ship in the place of the middle logs. The side logs even look like they have windows on it!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Tsulalalalalalalalalalala

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sunk Cost Bellamy is a cool chump. Teach is also good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Daeno posted:

Did anyone else get Discworld vibes from the elelphant that holds up Zou?

I seem to vaguely recall someone mentioning that the elephant had been referenced in past manga chapters, but I find the timing curious with Pratchett passing away so recently...maybe Oda was a fan?

I find it funny that nobody has mentioned this but:

象 - Kanji for Elephant
Pronounciation? Zou.

It was set up all along.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of the snake, one thing that impresses me about the Skypiea flashback is that Norland was able to loving take out a massive snake in a single blow, whereas Zoro, the Skypieans, the Shandarians, and even Enel weren't able to kill Nora.

didnt he move the drat island when his legs got stuck in that earthquake?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Julias posted:

I find it funny that nobody has mentioned this but:

象 - Kanji for Elephant
Pronounciation? Zou.

It was set up all along.

I mean, that's mentioned in the chapter itself, isn't it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
skypiea owns because its a proper adventure arc

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

drjuggalo posted:

didnt he move the drat island when his legs got stuck in that earthquake?

Yeah. Fucker was hardcore.

As strong as the current generation is, it really hammers in how strong previous generations must have been.

Granted, the members of the Straw Hat crew are all pretty young and haven't really hit their peak yet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Decided to go ahead and start reading Skypiea. Currently in the middle of it, but a couple of my old complaints are bubbling to the surface.

I do like it more now than I did then, but still.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think this is still my favorite panel in this comic.

It's a good one. I think my favorite is the one where the ancient ship is falling from the sky. I'd hang that fucker on my wall if I could figure out a way to get a high enough resolution pic of it.

RE: Skypiea

I remember Skypiea being the arc that made me drop out of One Piece for several years. I had been anime-only at the time and the pacing had gone to hell. I wasn't a sophisticated enough viewer to notice that it was pacing that was off, I just knew I was bored and had been for a while.

When I did my first read through, I remember liking Skypiea a lot more.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

It's a good one. I think my favorite is the one where the ancient ship is falling from the sky. I'd hang that fucker on my wall if I could figure out a way to get a high enough resolution pic of it.

RE: Skypiea

I remember Skypiea being the arc that made me drop out of One Piece for several years. I had been anime-only at the time and the pacing had gone to hell. I wasn't a sophisticated enough viewer to notice that it was pacing that was off, I just knew I was bored and had been for a while.

When I did my first read through, I remember liking Skypiea a lot more.

The first half of Skypiea got dragged out to all hell. The second half where the battle royale commences is pretty decently paced I feel. Plus the anime looked so gorgeous during that arc and they get really creative with the animation so everything looks so drat cool and smooth when it's all going in motion. Just take a look at stuff like Zoro vs Braham or Robin vs Yama to see what I mean, it just look so drat fantastic.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Anime Skypiea could be a slog but it did give us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OUUw3J1Vo

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

One thing I realised in my latest re-read is that while the rest of Shandora's flora and fauna grew giant, Nola is actually still normal size for her species.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I knew the anime wasn't for me when I couldn't get through half of Alabasta. Skypeia felt long even in the manga, so I couldn't imagine slogging through it in a slower medium.

Though everyone should jump back in after Skypeia for the G8 arc. Might be the only anime I watch when I do my eventual re-read, aside from a few movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The problem with the one piece anime is that the voice actors are amazing, talented people and everyone else that works on the show is awful

Pretty much all the fun bits the anime adds were ad-libbed by tanaka and co.