Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Snak, I love how much you're starting to get into the spirit of things. Can't wait to see how you do once you finish your current game and can apply all you've learned to a fresh start. Also, for money problems you can try sending your court chaplain to Rome to butter up to the Pope and then beg him for money. Unless he's a fresh pope they tend to be loving rich as poo poo.

Meanwhile, my Viking game is going just swell. I ended up biting the bullet and engaging in a little tyranny, imprisoning that 3 year old with 450 gold and then banishing him to confiscate it. The -40 hit sucked, but it was quickly overshadowed thanks to my stellar traits/diplomacy and the fact I handed out titles to all my Court officials. Then I went and conquered most of Norway and then crushed a minor independence faction rebellion. To celebrate a held a lovely party and gave thanks to Odin, the highlight of the sacrifices was one of the rebellious chiefs. :black101:

This was extremely satisfying for some reason. Rebel against me will you?

Afterwards, I just finished conquering Norway and kinda saved up money to form a second Jarl/Duke title and then created the Kingdom. Huzzah. 14 years of hard work and murdering people on the battlefield and in the shadows.

However, my attention is already starting to wane for some reason. Thinking about setting the game aside for now and trying something else, maybe a Merchant Republic or starting as the count of a large nation for full Game of Thrones/Machiavellianism politics and intrigue.

[edit] Also, holy poo poo are severe winters murder on out-of-supply troops. I sent 800 men marching through one of my border counties during witner to conquer the last bit of Norway (that finkmark place way at the top), apparently an event had basically eliminated the supply level of that province. I saw the skull and thought "Eh, I'll lose a few men, but no biggie".

Barely 200 men reached the other side of that county. :stare:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
'Hi I'm the King of Aquitaine. Now while I realize that you're only connected to me through marriage by your dim-witted half-sister, and I acknowledge that you and your vassals have declared war on me repeatedly after and during my ill-fated attempt to take a county from France, but I have 3 civil wars for my Kingdom going on right now and I could really use your help bro.

No? OK, uh, well now there's also an adventurer attacking me for my kingdom so maybe you could... No, OK then, no worries, just go ahead and seize Gascogne while they're attacking me, that's cool.

Hey, so if you're not busy...'

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Is it a general fact that with higher crown authority and centralization that you're going to have constant rebellion, or no?

I had built up a nice three kingdoms, was about to start an empire, when I began having serious trouble with rebellion. 50 years and 4 years later, my single kingdom is looking a bit sparse.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Your war going badly could be fixed by hiring mercenaries at the start, or when an ally joins the enemy. Just gather your overly huge army, crush the enemy, and then disband mercenaries. Try to do it as quickly as possible so you won't run out of money.

With debt you should just wait things out. +10 is actually pretty good, you'll clear your debt in a few years.

Try to pay out your loan, too. Having a loan isn't too bad, but it reduces your flexibility, if you need cash.

Truces run out when the truce-holder dies.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
even in the middle of a war pay the jews back. depending on your religion you get some extra chedder since temples aren't mad at you anymore for that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ashgromnies posted:

Is it a general fact that with higher crown authority and centralization that you're going to have constant rebellion, or no?

Things that lower vassal opinion (such as high crown authority) make it more likely for factions to get strong enough to try rebelling, yes.

Though if you're able to crush the first major revolt then the free +25 vassal opinion for doing so means you can usually avoid getting a second one.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The one that says that the ruler needs to have the Mercenary traditions modifier. Does the kid also need to have it? Is it because I'm a landed basque muslim? I was going to see what would happen when I raised my kid by keeping him endlessly young until I got the event naturally but gf doesn't like me staying on her laptop for too long.

Some folks have no appreciation for the joy of scheming in videogames, really.

Might be misinterpret the condition? Or it's just badly formulated. I'll see if I can make it clearer.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Note to self: Do not start a Byzantine game with a custom non-christian Emperor.

Literally the entire christian world was marching on my doorstep before the first two years were out.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

If you get a Jewish councilor, you can land him (usually some random barony is good enough) and then have him tutor an heir.

Thanks.

Is there anyway to encourage Jew's to come to my court(independent duchy). None seem interested in being invited due to heathen modifier.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

cisco privilege posted:

'Hi I'm the King of Aquitaine. Now while I realize that you're only connected to me through marriage by your dim-witted half-sister, and I acknowledge that you and your vassals have declared war on me repeatedly after and during my ill-fated attempt to take a county from France, but I have 3 civil wars for my Kingdom going on right now and I could really use your help bro.

No? OK, uh, well now there's also an adventurer attacking me for my kingdom so maybe you could... No, OK then, no worries, just go ahead and seize Gascogne while they're attacking me, that's cool.

Hey, so if you're not busy...'
Never hurts to ask, right?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I apologize if this is asked and answered already.

I got a new laptop with 4X (3840x2160) resolution and Windows 10. CK2 is absolutely unplayable. The windows and text are so small, I'd still have to squint with a magnifying glass. I've tried a few different mods to make text larger, but none have made any useful advances.

Various DPS and scaling options in Windows also do not work. If I change the resolution, the problem persists, just at lower resolution. Lowering the resolution does work, but I'd still like to utilize my native resolution.

Is this just something I'm going to have to wait for the world to catch up with or is there any kind of workaround?

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 8, 2015

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I apologize if this is asked and answered already.

I got a new laptop with 4X (3840x2160) resolution and Windows 10. CK2 is absolutely unplayable. The windows and text are so small, I'd still have to squint with a magnifying glass. I've tried a few different mods to make text larger, but none have made any useful advances.

Various DPS and scaling options in Windows also do not work. If I change the resolution, the problem persists, just at lower resolution. Lowering the resolution does work, but I'd still like to utilize my native resolution.

Is this just something I'm going to have to wait for the world to catch up with or is there any kind of workaround?

Dunno, but I'm pissed off Paradox hasn't added support for Oculus Rift yet.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Might be misinterpret the condition? Or it's just badly formulated. I'll see if I can make it clearer.
Yea, it's sorta unclear what exactly does it; I thought it was just the merc traditions modifier but hmmm. I'll try giving it to my liege, then also educating it naturally on my heir and testing him out.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Theswarms posted:

Thanks.

Is there anyway to encourage Jew's to come to my court(independent duchy). None seem interested in being invited due to heathen modifier.

Well, buttering them up with gifts sometimes works (usually they'll need to hate their current leige) also see if you can manage to get them married to one of your courtiers. Some landless nobody with par for the course stats that would otherwise die single. Then either the Jew will come to your court during the marriage or that courtier will go to them. Just invite your courtier back and the spouse should follow.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Are there any mods around that make the Byzantine Empire less stable? With more pretenders to the throne and switching dynasties?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

How exactly do claims get inherited? If I've got a guy with a strong claim that says "can be inherited by successor" will his heir have a strong claim or a weak claim? What about his other children?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Strong claims are always inherited as weak claims. You get a strong claim by being second or third in line to a title when the current holder dies. All other children of that title holder get inheritable weak claims instead.

Weak claims are inherited as weak claims again, so long as the claim is inheritable in the first place.

Basically, when someone dies their stuff gets passed on as follows:

1) titles are given to their heir.
2) any inheritable claims (strong or weak) are given to their heir as uninheritable weak claims.
3) Pretenders to their titles (2nd or 3rd in line) are given inheritable strong claims on those titles.
4) All other children are given inheritable weak claims to those titles.

Note that sometimes a single person's titles will actually have different heirs and pretenders because they might have different inheritance laws, or gavelkind splits them up.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 8, 2015

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

TheCIASentMe posted:

Well, buttering them up with gifts sometimes works (usually they'll need to hate their current leige) also see if you can manage to get them married to one of your courtiers. Some landless nobody with par for the course stats that would otherwise die single. Then either the Jew will come to your court during the marriage or that courtier will go to them. Just invite your courtier back and the spouse should follow.

Thanks, this will help a lot!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TheCIASentMe posted:

I used to hand out odd baronies to Jewish courtiers so I'd have a steady supply of councilors.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Strong claims are always inherited as weak claims. You get a strong claim by being second or third in line to a title when the current holder dies. All other children of that title holder get inheritable weak claims instead.

Weak claims are inherited as weak claims again, so long as the claim is inheritable in the first place.

Basically, when someone dies their stuff gets passed on as follows:

1) titles are given to their heir.
2) any inheritable claims (strong or weak) are given to their heir as uninheritable weak claims.
3) Pretenders to their titles (2nd or 3rd in line) are given inheritable strong claims on those titles.
4) All other children are given inheritable weak claims to those titles.

Note that sometimes a single person's titles will actually have different heirs and pretenders because they might have different inheritance laws, or gavelkind splits them up.

This is a good and informative post. Thanks for clearing that up.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
OH hey, I just had to trigger the event on my kid themself, not sure if I had do it on myself as well I suppose.

In any case, it's "event HL.10612 [Charid]" for those who wanna make yer own merc bands as any kinda gov.

Edit: Huhhhhhh. Odd. Despite only having around 450ish men and 900 ish men, both bands from my sons cost 219 to hire and almost 16 ducats per month.

Also no family discount?? Goddamn.

Edit 2: Wait, this one has 530 troops, mostly heavy infantry, but he costs 245 and a monthly 17,39

that cant be right, surely?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 8, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One mechanic I remember from the original Crusader Kings that I've never noticed in CK2... do people still get beatified or canonized for Santhood? I've never seen it happen.

I remember this one time playing a game in CK1 where I had this real bitch of an aunt who caused me nothing but pain during a character's entire life until I finally had her murdered. She got the last laugh, as despite being an awful person with awful traits a few years after her death the Pope announced her beatification. :psyduck:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One mechanic I remember from the original Crusader Kings that I've never noticed in CK2... do people still get beatified or canonized for Santhood? I've never seen it happen.

I remember this one time playing a game in CK1 where I had this real bitch of an aunt who caused me nothing but pain during a character's entire life until I finally had her murdered. She got the last laugh, as despite being an awful person with awful traits a few years after her death the Pope announced her beatification. :psyduck:

Not in base game. CK2+ added some form of it though.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So evidently the mechanics for decadence were overhauled at some point in the semi-recent past? Are the mechanics for playing as a muslim substantially different now? Reading through the CK2 wiki makes the decadence mechanics seem a lot more manageable than they were originally, or is playing as a muslim now just 90% ordering them to straighten up and then hitting imprison when they don't instead of just hitting imprison period like before?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

prussian advisor posted:

or is playing as a muslim now just 90% ordering them to straighten up and then hitting imprison when they don't instead of just hitting imprison period like before?

Yep.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're gone, because it's much harder to target dead characters in CK2's code.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 9, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Snak posted:

This is a good and informative post. Thanks for clearing that up.
One more thing to note for you - fabricated claims are uninheritable strong claims. So you need to declare war to turn it into an inheritable one. Which you already did in your case.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lurksion posted:

One more thing to note for you - fabricated claims are uninheritable strong claims. So you need to declare war to turn it into an inheritable one. Which you already did in your case.

So if you declare war using a fabricated claim, it will be become inheritable even if you lose?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Snak posted:

So if you declare war using a fabricated claim, it will be become inheritable even if you lose?

If you lose (as in surrender) then I think you will lose the claim entirely, but if you white-peace out or the war ends inconclusively for some reason then you'll be left with an inheritable claim.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Oh man it feels good to finally be murdered instead of having to endure a regency

Now I'm the kinslayer who murdered a 4 year old.

e: An extremely cool kinslayer, I might add

Currently at 31 martial like any decent Norse king

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 9, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Dammit. Is there a better way to handle handing out counties? I just took over half of India, and now the "Grant Landed Titles" list is pretty well clogged with a total of 405 baronies/counties/duchies/etc, so I can't find the particular county I want to foist off on another vassal. Any way to make it, I dunno, order alphabetically or something? Context menu on the title itself so I can say "Transfer selected title to this vassal"? Anything that doesn't require scrolling through 400+ items to find the one that I want?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno about that, but you should just be able to pass out the County "And lower titles" (or whatever the toggle option is) and the newly minted Count will distribute the towns and temples in his county automatically.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There was a standalone mod that added this but I don't remember what it was called

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I swear there's some kind of new game RNG that determines the mood of the RNG for the rest of the game. Some new games everything goes swimmingly, but in others I get shafted in every event.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

Dammit. Is there a better way to handle handing out counties? I just took over half of India, and now the "Grant Landed Titles" list is pretty well clogged with a total of 405 baronies/counties/duchies/etc, so I can't find the particular county I want to foist off on another vassal. Any way to make it, I dunno, order alphabetically or something? Context menu on the title itself so I can say "Transfer selected title to this vassal"? Anything that doesn't require scrolling through 400+ items to find the one that I want?

When you get a lot of titles at once it's a lot easier to hand them off in chunks by using the "Include lower titles" checkbox as mentioned above - you can hand out full duchies to one person and they'll automatically create their own vassals to fill in the lower ranked ones.

If you've already got the vassals created and you're trying to hand them off to the new county owner, a good thing to be aware of is that on the "transfer vassalage" list, it automatically puts de jure vassals of that person that they don't currently control at the very top.

Esroc posted:

I swear there's some kind of new game RNG that determines the mood of the RNG for the rest of the game. Some new games everything goes swimmingly, but in others I get shafted in every event.

It's just a game where things tend to snowball, so one bad decision or a bit of bad luck tends to lead to more problems in the future. If you lose a big battle it completely wrecks your levies, forcing a surrender, then your neighbours smell the blood in the water and start declaring war and seizing the rest of your land a chunk at a time, making you even weaker, etc.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 9, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So I try to put the rightful heir on throne of England, and the Isles also press a claim on England, and the previous king won the Crusade, and...

I'm Norfolk (vassal of Jerusalem). The one game where I just want to kick back as a vassal with occasional fuckery, and I manage to miss out on being the vassal of a Scottish Lunatic who rules England :cripes:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm all set to restore the Roman Empire but the game claims that I don't have complete control over one of the required Duchies. I do in fact have control of it, and have had control of it for many years. The problem I think is that a holy order built a castle in one of the counties in that duchy. It won't let me revoke the loving thing though, so what do I do about it? loving assholes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm all set to restore the Roman Empire but the game claims that I don't have complete control over one of the required Duchies. I do in fact have control of it, and have had control of it for many years. The problem I think is that a holy order built a castle in one of the counties in that duchy. It won't let me revoke the loving thing though, so what do I do about it? loving assholes.

Declare war on them for it? You should have a de jure county claim

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Since they finally fixed tournaments, my latest pet peeve is that I can't give my religious head a duke-level de jure title because of his duke-level titular religious title. This is also hardcoded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

skasion posted:

Declare war on them for it? You should have a de jure county claim

I was able to just vassalize them.

• Locked thread