Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

melon cat posted:

On the topic of potlights and bulbs- we're replacing all of our crappy incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Our basement has about 8 of these potlight fixtures:

Is there any advantage to opting for floodlight-style LEDs (like these ones) instead of the regular old round-shaped bulbs for recessed fixtures?

I have 4 potlights wayyyy up on an 18 foot ceiling, so I considered LED floods so I wouldn't have to go up there as often to change them. I ended up buying cheaper CFL floods instead.

Although LED lifespans are nominally longer, they don't fail in a binary way like incandescent and fluorescent bulbs do. They start to get dimmer, and worse, their color shifts. If you've got multiple fixtures, that process will not happen at the same rate because of individual variability. So when one of them starts to go (maybe at 80% of the rated life), you're probably going to want to replace all of them. Granted, 80% of rated life might still be 10+ years so maybe you won't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

I have 4 potlights wayyyy up on an 18 foot ceiling, so I considered LED floods so I wouldn't have to go up there as often to change them. I ended up buying cheaper CFL floods instead.

Although LED lifespans are nominally longer, they don't fail in a binary way like incandescent and fluorescent bulbs do. They start to get dimmer, and worse, their color shifts. If you've got multiple fixtures, that process will not happen at the same rate because of individual variability. So when one of them starts to go (maybe at 80% of the rated life), you're probably going to want to replace all of them. Granted, 80% of rated life might still be 10+ years so maybe you won't care.
Well look at you, Rich Uncle Pennybags and your 18-foot ceiling! :homebrew: (your house sounds pretty awesome).

I didn't know about the variability in lifespan. Good to know. Do the floods offer better light output for recessed fixture versus the conventional "bulb" types? Because I'm thinking that the bulb-type ones will radiate light outwards and into the recessed fixture, depriving me of their light output.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
If you went with the flood style it likely wouldn't use nearly as much of the reflector and might end up widening the beam of light. Some might also be way too fat so looking in person would be important.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

melon cat posted:

Well look at you, Rich Uncle Pennybags and your 18-foot ceiling! :homebrew: (your house sounds pretty awesome).

I didn't know about the variability in lifespan. Good to know. Do the floods offer better light output for recessed fixture versus the conventional "bulb" types? Because I'm thinking that the bulb-type ones will radiate light outwards and into the recessed fixture, depriving me of their light output.

Don't be jealous. My house is like 1600 sq ft and it's only 18ft ceiling at the very peak of the living room/kitchen.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

melon cat posted:

On the topic of potlights and bulbs- we're replacing all of our crappy incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Our basement has about 8 of these potlight fixtures:

Is there any advantage to opting for floodlight-style LEDs (like these ones) instead of the regular old round-shaped bulbs for recessed fixtures?

Have you thought about retrofitting LED fixtures on there instead? It's pretty easy and looks sharp, but it's a little more expensive per light.

llamaperl2
Dec 6, 2008
I am having a hard time googling for this question:
I have an house with aluminium siding and equally old, single pane windows. Water seems to be collecting on the sill of the window between the window and the storm window, which in the winter, creates these nasty ice problems. This occurs when the storm window is closed.

Assuming the storm window makes a tight seal in its track, how else could water be getting into the space between the storm window and window?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That's either condensation, or there is some crack somewhere that water is getting in. I would recommend closing your windows as tight as you can and giving each one a good spritz with your garden hose. Shut it off and see if any water made it in. If there is a crack, wait for everything to dry and caulk that crack shut.

Is it just one window or several?

llamaperl2
Dec 6, 2008
There are 2 or 3. Also I'm having water come into the house on the main level but can't seem to figure out where. One of the windows that is encountering the ice problem is also above where the water is coming into the house. The floor above the ceiling where the leak is occurring is dry. I've taken a hose and sprayed the roof and walls to try to recreate the problem, but I haven't been able to. I had a couple of people out to look at the water leaking issue and their response was "I don't know, here is a quote for a new roof".

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Well since the lovely tires weren't going to get any more lovely anyways I tried the Great Stuff filler idea. Unfortunately the lovely tires had a lovely bead seal so the majority queefed out over time. I'm going to see if I can fill the remaining voids with more but so far no dice. They're marginally better than they were before but still kinda soft all considered.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

llamaperl2 posted:

I am having a hard time googling for this question:
I have an house with aluminium siding and equally old, single pane windows. Water seems to be collecting on the sill of the window between the window and the storm window, which in the winter, creates these nasty ice problems. This occurs when the storm window is closed.

Assuming the storm window makes a tight seal in its track, how else could water be getting into the space between the storm window and window?

Do you get water in the summers or just only when cold? My suspicion is that you are pulling moisture out from inside the house into the void between the window and storm. The plastic and tape kits to seal your windows could really help this winter.

Storm window should allow for drainage along the bottom. Did you caulk or seal up the bottom?

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Having a problem with Baldwin privacy door knob latch system. This is probably more an indictment of my IQ than of the hardware.

Check out the image below, this is the latch system that came with my new knobs. Look at the direction of the latch in relation to where the "Privacy Pin" (lock button) is located, it's wrong!! (right?). For a bedroom door, where the door opens into the room, the beveled part of the latch bolt face outward, so that the bevel hits the strike plate and pushes in when you close the door. So why is the privacy button on the same side!? Obviously you'd want the lock button to be on the interior side of the door, but the only way that works in the image below is if your door swings outward. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a bedroom or bathroom door that swung out though. It would seem that no matter how you flip or rotate this thing, the lock pin is always going to wind up on the exterior side of the door. Short of trying to open up the latch mechanism and reverse something, i'm stumped...

There has to be something i'm just missing... there's no way Baldwin would build these just to confound 99% of the people who are buying door knobs.

HELP!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just a quick survey of doors I can see from my desk: the bedroom door opens inward, but the bathroom door opens outward. You might be able to reverse the direction of the curved face of the latch, though.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Just a quick survey of doors I can see from my desk: the bedroom door opens inward, but the bathroom door opens outward. You might be able to reverse the direction of the curved face of the latch, though.

Baldwin would have to configure these for the most common application, I cant imagine that outward opening is the winner.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sointenly posted:

Having a problem with Baldwin privacy door knob latch system. This is probably more an indictment of my IQ than of the hardware.

Check out the image below, this is the latch system that came with my new knobs. Look at the direction of the latch in relation to where the "Privacy Pin" (lock button) is located, it's wrong!! (right?). For a bedroom door, where the door opens into the room, the beveled part of the latch bolt face outward, so that the bevel hits the strike plate and pushes in when you close the door. So why is the privacy button on the same side!? Obviously you'd want the lock button to be on the interior side of the door, but the only way that works in the image below is if your door swings outward. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a bedroom or bathroom door that swung out though. It would seem that no matter how you flip or rotate this thing, the lock pin is always going to wind up on the exterior side of the door. Short of trying to open up the latch mechanism and reverse something, i'm stumped...

There has to be something i'm just missing... there's no way Baldwin would build these just to confound 99% of the people who are buying door knobs.

HELP!

Pull the bolt out and rotate it.

llamaperl2
Dec 6, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Do you get water in the summers or just only when cold? My suspicion is that you are pulling moisture out from inside the house into the void between the window and storm. The plastic and tape kits to seal your windows could really help this winter.

Storm window should allow for drainage along the bottom. Did you caulk or seal up the bottom?

In the winter this is happening. I haven't done anything to trap moisture by sealing or caulking the bottom. The amount of ice that forms also points to a water problem not a moisture problem; there is like 3 inches of ice on the sill.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Two things:

I really need to buy a proper two-stage snowblower for the coming winter, and I've just begun my research. Is this the proper thread to discuss this in?

Second, what happened to those attic stair insulators that were one-piece pink-foam caps? That design seemed really simple. I've had this thing for the last 6 years, and it's starting to fall apart. Duct tape is keeping it alive for now, but even that won't last forever.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-25-1-2-in-x-54-in-Attic-Stair-Insulator-II-AS2/100676399

Any recommendations for a replacement?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

llamaperl2 posted:

In the winter this is happening. I haven't done anything to trap moisture by sealing or caulking the bottom. The amount of ice that forms also points to a water problem not a moisture problem; there is like 3 inches of ice on the sill.

This is warm moist air seeping out your single pane window and the condensing and freezing when it hits the cold air.
Solutions:
Replace the windows
Reglaze the windows if applicable
Add interior single piece storms
You can try the tape and plastic film kits

Comedy option:
Install roof deicers on your sills

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

The button is on the outside so you can unlock the door from the outside. My bedroom doors have this style of doorknob. If you want better security, you should get a night latch or other lock.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

That thing looks like a piece of crap. Practically no air sealing value, and attic hatches are usually leaky as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/22x54-Attic-Stair-Cover-Insulation/dp/B001GFSWYO/ is probably pretty decent.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Speaking of winter prep chat, what's the proper caulk to use around doors and windows/other gaps in my exterior? My house has wood siding

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I have a box bike with a dynamo headlight that keeps getting knocked off due to lovely placement. Is it possible to install some sort of weatherproof LED cable to the wires presently powering the dynamo light? I do not presently have a way of testing the output of the dynamo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Squashy Nipples posted:

Two things:

I really need to buy a proper two-stage snowblower for the coming winter, and I've just begun my research. Is this the proper thread to discuss this in?

Second, what happened to those attic stair insulators that were one-piece pink-foam caps? That design seemed really simple. I've had this thing for the last 6 years, and it's starting to fall apart. Duct tape is keeping it alive for now, but even that won't last forever.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-25-1-2-in-x-54-in-Attic-Stair-Insulator-II-AS2/100676399

Any recommendations for a replacement?

You should have started looking at craigslist a few months ago, but you can still find awesome deals on old ariens snow blowers from the 70's-I picked one up last year for about $250 and it's a loving tank.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Omne posted:

Speaking of winter prep chat, what's the proper caulk to use around doors and windows/other gaps in my exterior? My house has wood siding

That's really up to you and how much work you want to put in.

Latex caulk is easier to use since it cleans up with water (if you're not a dummy and get to it before it starts curing). Paint also tends to stick to it well. The cons is that latex caulk doesn't last forever. The most expensive formulations are guaranteed to last several decades though.

Silicone caulk is the biggest alternative to latex caulk. When the surfaces are properly prepared and the caulk is applied smoothly, silicone caulk will last as long as your house does. The cons for it are that silicone caulk doesn't clean up easily. Your best bet for it is to wipe up as much of it as you can with something you can throw away, like rags or paper towels. Because of this, it's easy to make a mess with silicone.

That being said, getting good results for caulk is just like getting good results for paint: it's all about the preparation. Clean those lines. Clear out all of the old caulk that you can. Tape off either side of the gap that you're going to caulk so that cleanup is as easy as peeling the tape away (pull it off before the caulk cures). Also, whichever material the caulk is made from, manufacturers make grades specialized for certain tasks, like windows and doors, kitchens and baths, roof flashing, concrete cracks, etc. Buy the type for your situation.

Also, consider each tube you buy to be sacrificial. Caulk's shelf life is measured in months. Take back what you don't use. Unless you're planning to do some more work within the next few weeks when you're done, then don't bother holding onto the partially used tube you finished with and throw it away. If you are however, then wrap the tip in a plastic bag.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of caulk-related items, I had to remove an old flag pole bracket on my house's exterior. Now there are three holes in the aluminum siding that are also a little "torn" (the screws were rusted and stuck so it took a little "oomph" to get them out.)

I plan to flatten out the small pieces of the siding that are ripped a little bit, but what's the best way to fill in those holes? It goes through the siding into the exterior wall a little bit. I was thinking just fill it in with caulk and paint, but I'm wondering if there's something better.

Luckily, I do have some of the paint the previous home owner used and left behind, so even though the paint is almost certainly no good (they painted one or two summers ago,) at least I can get the same brand, color, finish, etc...

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of caulk-related items, I had to remove an old flag pole bracket on my house's exterior. Now there are three holes in the aluminum siding that are also a little "torn" (the screws were rusted and stuck so it took a little "oomph" to get them out.)

I plan to flatten out the small pieces of the siding that are ripped a little bit, but what's the best way to fill in those holes? It goes through the siding into the exterior wall a little bit. I was thinking just fill it in with caulk and paint, but I'm wondering if there's something better.

Luckily, I do have some of the paint the previous home owner used and left behind, so even though the paint is almost certainly no good (they painted one or two summers ago,) at least I can get the same brand, color, finish, etc...

That paint is probably fine if it was closed up properly and stored indoors.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

You wouldn't happen to be familiar with car body work, would you? If you're willing to spend the time, you can get a perfectly flush surface again using Bondo or a similar epoxy compound.

Seconding the paint should be fine.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Looking for heating element advice.

I'm making a device similar to a solar still. Unfortunately, I'm now located in a sunless place, but am continuing my experiment. I have an empty space that runs 3'x2'x2" that normally contains insulation. I'd like to replace that with an electric heating unit I'd plug into the wall. It needs to control temperature somewhat precisely, in the range of about 50 - 100C.

No idea how to approach this. Buy a heating element of the right shape, figure out how to connect it to the mains, use a rheostat to control temperature, make a housing so the element doesn't directly contact the wood housing it'll be in?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Dominoes posted:

I'm making a device similar to a solar still. Unfortunately, I'm now located in a sunless place, but am continuing my experiment. I have an empty space that runs 3'x2'x2" that normally contains insulation. I'd like to replace that with an electric heating unit I'd plug into the wall. It needs to control temperature somewhat precisely, in the range of about 50 - 100C.

No idea how to approach this. Buy a heating element of the right shape, figure out how to connect it to the mains, use a rheostat to control temperature, make a housing so the element doesn't directly contact the wood housing it'll be in?

Cheap thermostat?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I think there's some cheap diy sous vide type controllers on ebay that will have some kind of temp sensor that shuts on or off a household plug. But that only solves the temp control part, not the heating element part. No idea what you'd have to use for that kind of space.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

kid sinister posted:

You wouldn't happen to be familiar with car body work, would you? If you're willing to spend the time, you can get a perfectly flush surface again using Bondo or a similar epoxy compound.

Seconding the paint should be fine.

Familiar enough. I've used it once for a Halloween costume a number of years back. I never did get it perfectly smooth, but it was globbed over a large area, not just a few small holes.

Thanks for the tip.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dominoes posted:

It sounds like you could use a cheap thermostat hooked up to an electric space heater to maintain the air temperature you want. E.g. :
http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-3...ermostat+outlet

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Homebrewers live and die by the stc 1000 thermostat. It is like 15 bux on eBay.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks dudes; that solves part of the problem. Perhaps I could solve this by coupling that with an appropriately-sized heater and power supply. What type of power range should I look at?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a decently priced really low profile light fixture that puts out good light? I was looking at some LED ones but the ones I've found are stupid expensive right now.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Peak solar irradiance is about 1000w per square meter. So if the dimensions you gave are the same as the solar collection area would be, about 500w would be equivalent or better than the solar input would be.

Infrared heat lamp bulbs can be a cheap, easy to use and reasonably safe heat source, if you can find one the right size.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Peak solar irradiance is about 1000w per square meter. So if the dimensions you gave are the same as the solar collection area would be, about 500w would be equivalent or better than the solar input would be.

Infrared heat lamp bulbs can be a cheap, easy to use and reasonably safe heat source, if you can find one the right size.
That may be a better idea. I observed peak surface temps of 92C in the midday desert summer. The minimum acceptable operating temp for my purposes is around 60. A less-optimal, but acceptable climate might yield 70C or so. I'm currently enjoying the English autumn, surrounded by buildings and topped with clouds. :(

Surprising fact: England measures building materials in mm, but available sizes all correspond to feet. Ie you don't buy a 6x2' of plywood; nor 2x1m; it's 1829x607mm.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 7, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hand me that "102 mm x 51 mm" doesn't have the same ring as "tubafour"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there a decently priced really low profile light fixture that puts out good light? I was looking at some LED ones but the ones I've found are stupid expensive right now.

We have something that looks similar to this:

http://www.grainger.com/product/ACU...er/22LU35_AS01?$smthumb$

I can't go banging around in the office right now, but it was installed before we moved in. It's my favorite light in the house.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Can someone recommend a good resource for DIY exterior house painting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Question regarding bathroom extractor fans:

1. Once you are done with a shower, should you leave the bathroom door open or closed for the extractor fan to work best? It seems like you would want it to be closed since opening the door would allow the steam to migrate to other rooms.
2. How do I figure out where my bathroom extractor fan is venting? Is there something on the roof I should look for?