Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

I see that Jem and the Holograms has a different artist on issue #7. Is this just a fill in or is Sophie Campbell off the book?

Edit: I still haven't read issue #6, but I just checked the back pages and in a little note from Campbell, it says she will be back on issue #11. That's good. I like the book, but it's mostly for the art.

Luchacabra fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Holy poo poo how about that Sex Criminals this month? Every page a fuckin gem.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So after two monthly issues of Rat Queens with Tess Fowler on art, I think I can say that I really like her as the new illustrator. Way better than Sejic's work for the series. (And I was worried, because I wasn't that into the art in the Braga special.) Fowler seems to be trying really hard to match Upchurch's interpretations, but it's mostly working for me.

The story itself these past two issues may have lost some focus, but I'm still enjoying the book.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the chat thread to drum up awareness - Fantagraphics are doing a collected edition of all of their Usagi Yojimbo, over a 1000 pages in a two paperback slipcase special edition. Its shipping on Tuesday in the UK and the 7th of October in the US (at least thats what it looks like).

If you've heard of him at all hes most likely 1) the rabbit samurai who appeared on the first TMNT cartoon or 2) the rabbit samurai who appeared on the second TMNT cartoon. In actuality hes a creator owned character who has a monthly comic title that is very long running. How long running? This special edition contains the first 7 books of about 6 issues each, or about 42 individual comics (all of the stories Fantagraphics has the reprint rights for I assume). Dark horse, who has the reprint rights to all of the other Usagi books is on volume 29, or roughly 174 issues of one continuous setting (its actually over 200, but i'm not sure exactly how that works out).

Why should you care? Because the series is fantastic. The stories are well told, the characters are endearing, the setting is interesting and the art is effective. It is, and always has been, one of the best monthly comic book titles published. It is certainly the best comic book about a rabbit who is also a samurai, and if you can dig that you will dig this series.

EDIT: The gist of the series is this - Feudal Japan, but everyone is an animal. Usagi is a masterless samurai who wanders the land, offering his service as a bodyguard / occasionally collecting bounties. This isn't a cutesy animal comic book, but the highly stylized depiction of death (lots, and lots of death) makes it a suitable read for pretty much anyone.

Now this special edition might be a little pricey for people new to this series. Luckily while stories benefit from you having read those that come before, each story stands on its own very well. So the cheapest way to find out if you would like this series is to find an issue of the monthly comic book and read it. Dark Horse have started adding a title to each issue to let you know if it is part of a longer story. The latest issue, for example, is 148 "The one-armed swordsman part 1 of 1". Its a good story, even if I tend to prefer the longer multi-issue ones.

So yeah, Usagi Yojimbo. Check it out.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 17, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tokyo Ghost #1 wasn't a slam dunk but I thought it was pretty good.

There was just a hint of "kids these days with their ipads and their facebooks" :argh: And the ending was a bit... uhhh... odd.

But apart from that I'll keep going with it to see how it shakes out.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Tokyo Ghost felt like what 90's indie comics were, like the maxx and stuff of that ilk. Fantastic art with almost no story beyond action. Take that information as you will

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Think I'll jump off Jem. I love the artwork but it's not enough to keep me on the story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gillen's notes for W+D 14.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I picked up the first Alex + Ada trade today and man, is it ever terrible. The art is bland and lifeless and appears to be largely copied from panel to panel whenever possible and the story is boring as hell. Bleccch.

On a more positive note, new Giant Days this month.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Giant Days is now an ongoing too. Well deserved.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cloks posted:

I picked up the first Alex + Ada trade today and man, is it ever terrible. The art is bland and lifeless and appears to be largely copied from panel to panel whenever possible and the story is boring as hell. Bleccch.

A Luna bros comic wouldn't be a Luna bros comic if it didn't look like a Luna bros comic.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ew.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That looks like a webcomic.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
What's the deal with From Under Mountains? Is it the same world as Arclight? Or just really similar design?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It's meant to be a part of the same world as all the 8house comics, yes.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It's meant to be a part of the same world as all the 8house comics, yes.

Apparently not, according to my local shop. I picked it up - it's cool, but feels very unpolished and doesn't have the ~zook~ factor of Graham's writing, that's for sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's just that the Arclight artist is on covers, right?

e: And co-writing it.

ee:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a586495/brandon-graham-explains-8house-setup.html#~ppXVKeHM7iJlYs
So, it is set in the 8House world, but as it's own series, not issues of '8House.'

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 2, 2015

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

That is weird as heck.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have a feeling Graham and Churchland have been co-developing the world for quite some time, for them both to play around in together.

They're married, for those who weren't aware. :ssh:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

:psyboom:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Anyone other than me still reading Spread? For some reason I wasn't feeling issue 10. Maybe I'm just missing No.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just so everyone knows there is a huge image sale on comixology. Lots of great stuff for cheap.
A new Southern Bastard's came out and its pretty good. I assume I know were its going based off Scalped as it has a very similar vibe, but as Aaron has shown he can go in completely different directions.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I love Southern Bastards. I live in small-town panhandle Florida so those sumbitches are my neighbors. Pretty sure I bought some shine off Boss's daddy back in the day. As Preacher was simultaneously a love and hate letter to America, so is Southern Bastards the same thing but with Aaron instead of Ennis. (Although we still haven't gotten to the "love" part unless it's in today's issue.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I picked up on the Image sale based on glowing reviews and recommendations but what is it, like a slice of life deal or are there genre comic book elements to it?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

zoux posted:

I picked up on the Image sale based on glowing reviews and recommendations but what is it, like a slice of life deal or are there genre comic book elements to it?

It's a rural Southern crime drama based around family, poverty, and the undue importance of high school football, and is so god drat dirty that every panel looks like you're reading it through a window that hasn't been cleaned in seventy years. No "genre elements" are involved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, we're not gonna spoil #4 where Boss reveals he's a space alien.

Whoops.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Plutona is going bad places.

We Stand On Guard is still straight up 'Death to America!' and I love it.

8House makes me feel like giant moron but were all the previous issues part of the same universe?!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nameless #5 is out and it kinda helps make sense of the previous 4 issues, but only a little bit...

It's also pretty cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

8House makes me feel like giant moron but were all the previous issues part of the same universe?!

Yup. And From Under Mountains.

Who checked out Paper Girls? I'm dying to get offa work and dive into this week's mountain of good poo poo.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Paper Girls was good stuff, especially the art. It has some twists though, so try to avoid spoilers.

Also good today were Codename Baboushka and Survivor's Club, if anyone was thinking of checking those out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Plutona is going really bad places fast, as you'd expect a story that's basically 'Kids find Superman's corpse in the woods.'

Dont eat the corpse, kid!

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

8house is weird as all hell. It's like Graham has created his own publishing studio inside Image.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The new 8house was good, though it's going to get difficult remembering all the different storylines, in both 8house and Island.

Paper Girls was okay, but I was disappointed that it seems to be about time travel. Comparing their time with the present doesn't sound interesting, though maybe there'll be more to it.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Wait is Island 8house-y too?!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah Island is more anthology-ish though some material could fit in.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

pugnax posted:

8house is weird as all hell. It's like Graham has created his own publishing studio inside Image.

It basically is, too. Prophet was that on a smaller scale. It's all these excellent artists who can't quite hack 22 pages per month -- and they're putting out better art than could be done in that period.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's great but also makes me worry about Prophet. :ohdear:

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
According to Graham, it's still coming, in January. https://twitter.com/royalboiler/status/646437237257715712

I like 8House but I'm not finding it as engrossing as Prophet, personally. I think the pace is a little too breakneck and it's not giving some of the cool ideas in it room to breathe, whereas Prophet really did, and it gave time for the characters to develop as well. Then again, the series is young, so maybe that's still to come.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

According to Graham, it's still coming, in January. https://twitter.com/royalboiler/status/646437237257715712

I like 8House but I'm not finding it as engrossing as Prophet, personally. I think the pace is a little too breakneck and it's not giving some of the cool ideas in it room to breathe, whereas Prophet really did, and it gave time for the characters to develop as well. Then again, the series is young, so maybe that's still to come.

I assume we're getting more Arclight and Kiem.

e: The plan was (and still is?) four issues for each arc http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a586495/brandon-graham-explains-8house-setup.html#~pqBYiwCIotStc8
Obviously that sequence is mixed up now. I'm guessing that's to accommodate the artists.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Paper Girls was fun and beautiful and I already want more, but part of me can't help but think it's engineered for maximum appeal:

-80s nostalgia
-Apple reference
-teenage girls who swear - sassier Lumberjanes?

I'm waiting for the deluge of i09, Kotaku, Mary Sue, Comics Alliance articles declaring it the Best Thing Ever, and I won't disagree with them, I just want to know Vaughan's rank in the illuminati, because it seems to be the equivalent of "Ernest Cline with talent."