Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

After the Holm fight I doubt we even see Ronda back until July or August, plenty of time for someone to win 2 in a row.

yeah doesn't she have two movies in starring roles lined up? Even if Ronda finishes the Holm fight in 10 seconds it would be dumb to rush back, she has better stuff to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Watch UFC star Ronda Rousey in the thrilling remake of the classic 80's movie Road House where she fucks up such people as a divorcee who don't need no man for validation, the underage dweebs from the hit TV show The Inbetweeners when they tried to get served in the pub that one time and Jason Mewes aka Jay from Jay and Silent Bob.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Nierbo posted:

Whos after holm btw?

Nunes is up there, after that maybe Peña/Zingano in a title eliminator?

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.

1st AD posted:

After the Holm fight I doubt we even see Ronda back until July or August, plenty of time for someone to win 2 in a row.

UFC 200 is in July so that's probably a safe bet.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

TJ Dillashaw posted:

“Well now Elevation Fight Team came to me and they want to pay me good money to train with them. They’re offering to pay me to train instead of me paying to train. This sport is growing so much I feel that is the way it should be.”
http://whoatv.com/tj-dillashaw-is-being-paid-to-join-new-team/

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

Watch UFC star Ronda Rousey in the thrilling remake of the classic 80's movie Road House where she fucks up such people as a divorcee who don't need no man for validation, the underage dweebs from the hit TV show The Inbetweeners when they tried to get served in the pub that one time and Jason Mewes aka Jay from Jay and Silent Bob.

(Lady) Dalton

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

http://www.twitch.tv/rampageishuman/v/19661701

:laffo: According to Rampage, Dana made him pay to replace that cardboard-looking door he broke on TUF.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

His stream a few days ago, where he had the girl feed him while he played gta was amazing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ogantai posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/rampageishuman/v/19661701

:laffo: According to Rampage, Dana made him pay to replace that cardboard-looking door he broke on TUF.

He says in that same two minutes that he didn't but Rampage is a pretty funny story teller as a whole.

e: Looking at his past broadcasts at EA UFC.
"I gotta practice with Jon fuckin' Jones? Really?"
"Oh, he even does the knee kick, come on man."

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 8, 2015

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Aurain posted:

He says in that same two minutes that he didn't but Rampage is a pretty funny story teller as a whole.

This is almost as good as cher tweeting about nick diaz.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/rampageishuman/v/19660213

He called Rashad live on the stream too, talks about the Bader fight and having some fun banter with him. Pretty good.

e: "My attorney old as gently caress. I look at him and I'm like "drat, you still remember the law?"

"I'm glad you say you don't like dragons 'cos I'm gonna be dragging deez nuts on yo face when we fight again"

This is basically all great.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 8, 2015

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Aurain posted:

Watch the clip of the EA UFC fight he did w/ himself vs Nog, he can't figure out how to do a takedown and just spams right hooks. Art imitates life indeed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aurain posted:

"I'm glad you say you don't like dragons 'cos I'm gonna be dragging deez nuts on yo face when we fight again"

Aw man they cracked up for like 20 seconds after that one

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Aurain posted:

He called Rashad live on the stream too, talks about the Bader fight and having some fun banter with him. Pretty good.

e: "My attorney old as gently caress. I look at him and I'm like "drat, you still remember the law?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV1djSJb9BM

This is incredible

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I legit want rampage to become a full time streamer after his fight career. The twitchcon stories would be amazing. I could just see him treating every other twitch person like they were ariel.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

canada jezus posted:

I legit want rampage to become a full time streamer after his fight career. The twitchcon stories would be amazing. I could just see him treating every other twitch person like they were ariel.

I want this too with the addition that he just end his fight career now.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

The Hunt one was a perfect example of how people's memories can be weird. I missed that fight, but all I remember people talking about, even here, was how Hunt looked terrible and the ref screwed up. The narrative was never "Miocic looked good" it was "Hunt looked terrible." The narrative of the JDS fight was "man, JDS sure has lost a step" not "man, Miocic made JDS look like he'd lost a step." We're discussing why he doesn't pop up in people's heads when they talk about the current crop of Heavyweights, not a breakdown of his skillset (which is formidable)

hunt looked the same as always. he is highly susceptible to ankle picks and knee taps and trips for the same reason he is basically immune to doubles (pendulous gut). miocic fought a great fight. i mean probably. i stopped watching after he got his first single

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

I want this too with the addition that he just end his fight career now.

Well i mean, sometimes i think his hart won't be in it anymore, and its better for his health if he just quits anyway so.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

The Hunt one was a perfect example of how people's memories can be weird. I missed that fight, but all I remember people talking about, even here, was how Hunt looked terrible and the ref screwed up. The narrative was never "Miocic looked good" it was "Hunt looked terrible." The narrative of the JDS fight was "man, JDS sure has lost a step" not "man, Miocic made JDS look like he'd lost a step." We're discussing why he doesn't pop up in people's heads when they talk about the current crop of Heavyweights, not a breakdown of his skillset (which is formidable)

JDS in the Miocic fight looked pretty much like he usually did, Miocic did a good job. In the Hunt fight, Hunt gassed faster and harder than he did fighting Werdum on a week's notice at a mile altitude, which is why everyone was saying "Hunt looked terrible" - because that was unexpectedly bad regardless of what Miocic was doing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

colonel_korn posted:

Glad she finally got a fight. Also apparently she's training at TriStar in Montreal now (instead of in Detroit with Daron Cruickshank and Jessica Eye) so that will probably help her game a lot.

e: Apparently Myles Jury vs Charles Oliviera got added to the same card.

1st AD seems to think it's a tough match up for her. I haven't seen the new polish girl's fights but it seems like the Eastern European strawweights have a pretty good striking pedigree. Joanna's got multiple world championships in Muay Thai but I can't seem to find much on Karolina's background. Randa always seems to be the underdog in fights though. She'd been calling out Van Zant but I don't think the UFC wants to put her anywhere near a good wrestler yet who could sneak in an upset.

Also that Fight Night card looks sick. It really could be a PPV.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem sustainable.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

MycroftXXX posted:

Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem sustainable.

Neither did Team Takedown, although I guess until Hendricks had his time to shine, they weren't really sustainable either.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bluedeanie posted:

Neither did Team Takedown, although I guess until Hendricks had his time to shine, they weren't really sustainable either.

Unless TJ left out a bunch of details (which he may have done), this isn't really like Team Takedown. IIRC Team Takedown paid guys to train, but when they fought a large part of their purse goes back to the team and when one guy took off the team would be solvent. It seems like Ludwig is outright paying Dillashaw to train there and Dillashaw gets to keep his entire purse when he fights. I think Ludwig is banking on the fact that people will flock to his gym to train with a champion and he will make money by charging them to train/selling them peanut butter. I don't have an MBA or nothin' fancy like that, but paying your biggest client to take your services doesn't seem like sound business.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MycroftXXX posted:

Unless TJ left out a bunch of details (which he may have done), this isn't really like Team Takedown. IIRC Team Takedown paid guys to train, but when they fought a large part of their purse goes back to the team and when one guy took off the team would be solvent. It seems like Ludwig is outright paying Dillashaw to train there and Dillashaw gets to keep his entire purse when he fights. I think Ludwig is banking on the fact that people will flock to his gym to train with a champion and he will make money by charging them to train/selling them peanut butter. I don't have an MBA or nothin' fancy like that, but paying your biggest client to take your services doesn't seem like sound business.

Ludwig isn't part of Team Elevation; Leister Bowling runs it. Ludwig is working with Dillashaw independently of the Team Elevation deal, and presumably is still getting paid by Dillashaw.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Aurain posted:

pro click it's a great video and I also vote for Rampage to become a pro twitch streamer after he retires

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Rampage has been doing quite a bit of Twitch streaming, he's actually pretty entertaining and interactive with his chat.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Team Elevation is connected to Musclepharm so it might be a sponsorship situation where he promotes their stuff outside of UFC events

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

fatherdog posted:

Ludwig isn't part of Team Elevation; Leister Bowling runs it. Ludwig is working with Dillashaw independently of the Team Elevation deal, and presumably is still getting paid by Dillashaw.

Ah, ok.

vainman posted:

Team Elevation is connected to Musclepharm so it might be a sponsorship situation where he promotes their stuff outside of UFC events

Well then this all makes more sense.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MycroftXXX posted:

Isn't this literally how sponsorships work everywhere else? You give free poo poo to big name people so everyone else wants to buy your poo poo. It's the same principle that results in celebrities having closets full of designer clothes they got for free, basketball players getting free shoes, etc.

It probably wouldn't be sustainable for them to pay every UFC guy on their roster to train there, but paying one or two of the biggest names a reasonable fee to be the face of your gym doesn't seem completely crazy to me.

shaky math trigger warning:
Let's assume they're paying him something fairly reasonable, like 50k a year.
Now, just using the gym fees from the places I've trained as a reference, you're typically looking at around $200/mo for a guy off the street to join your gym. That adds up to $2400 a year.
So, to pay for his sponsorship, that means you need ~21 new members to join off the publicity of being the home of the UFC champ. I don't think that's actually an unreasonable number of new signups to expect from that level of hype.

This math doesn't account for any extra maintenance costs that might come from these new members, but it also doesn't include all the inevitable gear and 1-on-1s they're gonna be selling them. Dudes who just walk in off the street to train have a habit of just buying their gi, gloves shinguards, etc from the gym, and some gyms (don't know how Elevation does it) won't let you compete for them unless you've had a few 1-on-1s for the coaches to assess you.

Now, why would TJ Dillashaw switch gyms for 50k a year? Well, that basically covers your house payment, your car payment, your food, your gas, etc, and means all his fight winnings can be invested/socked away/spent on hookers. And it's not like he's downgrading gyms.

If they're paying him a million dollars or something then all of this is just stupid though.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
tbh I think if you're paying a UFC champion to train at your gym exclusively $50k a year is dirt cheap. That's less money than they get from Reebok per fight, and Reebok doesn't pay out poo poo. So I would hope Dillashaw got more than that.

It sounds like Dillashaw was already thinking of going out to Colorado anyway, the money was just extra incentive from Bowling to get him to leave Faber. Which I still say comes off as scummy to me but whatever.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Isn't this literally how sponsorships work everywhere else? You give free poo poo to big name people so everyone else wants to buy your poo poo. It's the same principle that results in celebrities having closets full of designer clothes they got for free, basketball players getting free shoes, etc.

It probably wouldn't be sustainable for them to pay every UFC guy on their roster to train there, but paying one or two of the biggest names a reasonable fee to be the face of your gym doesn't seem completely crazy to me.

shaky math trigger warning:
Let's assume they're paying him something fairly reasonable, like 50k a year.
Now, just using the gym fees from the places I've trained as a reference, you're typically looking at around $200/mo for a guy off the street to join your gym. That adds up to $2400 a year.
So, to pay for his sponsorship, that means you need ~21 new members to join off the publicity of being the home of the UFC champ. I don't think that's actually an unreasonable number of new signups to expect from that level of hype.

Elevation Fight Team is a private, fighters only gym. They don't have regular members.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
the only issue I have with TJ leaving Alpha Male is that he's going to need to bundle up in Colorado, and his days of being shirtless are almost surely behind him

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
if someone could post that gif of TAM "pranking" team Cruz by working out naked in their dressing room i'd greatly appreciate it.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

MycroftXXX posted:

I don't have an MBA or nothin' fancy like that, but paying your biggest client to take your services doesn't seem like sound business.

They're going to open up the Elevation Adult Dementia Daycare in about 5 years and make all their money on the back end

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think there's anything scummy about TJ leaving? He got a massive financial incentive to train with another team that happens to be close to his cosh and mentor. Maybe it will turn out poorly, maybe he'll do fine, only time will tell.

Trast posted:

1st AD seems to think it's a tough match up for her. I haven't seen the new polish girl's fights but it seems like the Eastern European strawweights have a pretty good striking pedigree. Joanna's got multiple world championships in Muay Thai but I can't seem to find much on Karolina's background. Randa always seems to be the underdog in fights though. She'd been calling out Van Zant but I don't think the UFC wants to put her anywhere near a good wrestler yet who could sneak in an upset.

Also that Fight Night card looks sick. It really could be a PPV.

It's also a tough match for KK, in case I didn't make that clear. Imagine Jedrzejczyk vs Esparza, except both fighters are not as skilled and you have this fight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

I don't think there's anything scummy about TJ leaving? He got a massive financial incentive to train with another team that happens to be close to his cosh and mentor. Maybe it will turn out poorly, maybe he'll do fine, only time will tell.

I wasn't talking about TJ leaving, I've never had a problem with that, I mean how Leister Bowling told TJ not to worry about being loyal to Faber and now I read that was also accompanied by him paying TJ a ton of money to leave TAM and come train at his facility. I just personally don't like it but I'm also not a shrewd business person.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

1st AD posted:

It's also a tough match for KK, in case I didn't make that clear. Imagine Jedrzejczyk vs Esparza, except both fighters are not as skilled and you have this fight.

I hope not exactly like that fight. I like Randa and if she's training with Tri-Star now she must have more upside than Esparza.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

Is Randa supposed to be Esparza in that analogy?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

Elevation Fight Team is a private, fighters only gym. They don't have regular members.

I had no idea! Huh. Most places I've trained made their real money off of amatures and basically used their pros as promotion. I wonder what their gym fees are like to support a pros only business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Snowman_McK posted:

Is Randa supposed to be Esparza in that analogy?

Yes, but KK is not as good as Joanna and Randa is not as good as Esparza. So I think Randa will get takedowns and maintain top position for a bit, and I think Karolina will light her up a bunch and defend a few takedowns. I don't think either will finish the other, but I think Karolina wins it despite looking vulnerable in spots.

• Locked thread