Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

I'm rooting for Kjell Askildsen and Knausgård, but I'm biased because "we" haven't won one since the 1920s

No love for Per Peterson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Earwicker posted:

if you broaden that "we" just a little bit to Scandinavians then "you've" won most of them

we love hating eachother up here so the Danes and Swedes don't count

Burning Rain posted:

Knausgård is the popular name but as far as Norwegian writers go people seem to talk about Dag Solstad as the biggest candidate. altho it seems solstad has relatively few but very vocal fans. haven't read him or askildsen tho

In Norway at least Dag Solstad is probably among the most well-known authors. He's won pretty much as many awards as Jon Fosse has. He's a good contender too, I have to admit.

Burning Rain posted:

by the way, you might know: what is it with Fosse and 'yes' repeated at every sentence? is it supposed to be actual 'ja' or whatever it is in Danish or more like 'mhm' agreement sound? or is it just his tick and nobody actually talks like that?

It's used both literally, as "yes" or "mhm", but it's also a very common filler-word in speech.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No love for Per Peterson?

Haven't read him yet, actually.

edit: It would own if Jon Fosse would win a prize, but I think he's more recognised for his theatre dramas internationally, if I'm not mistaken?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

we love hating eachother up here so the Danes and Swedes don't count

I was just remembering that Swedish character in Kingdom who would stand on top of the hospital with binoculars looking at Sweden and talking about how much better they are than the Danes.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was just remembering that Swedish character in Kingdom who would stand on top of the hospital with binoculars looking at Sweden and talking about how much better they are than the Danes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYHn8H9O5Qk

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in other words, picked up a copy of Knausgård's latest book Om høsten (translated as In the autumn). according to rumors he has a chapter dedicated to urine.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2015

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ngugi should win

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Ngugi should win

He's cool.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ulvir posted:

in other words, picked up a copy of Knausgård's latest book Om høsten (translated as In the autumn). according to rumors he has a chapter dedicated to urine.

Haven't heard about this, what's it about? How long is it? I assume you got a Norwegian version? Ahhh I can't wait for My Struggle 5 and 6 to be translated, and now he has another book out already to look forward to.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Hm about 6 hours til they announce the Nobel... I'll throw my hat in the ring and say Peter Nadas

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

J_RBG posted:

Ngugi should win
He would agree.

Ngugi wa Thiong'o posted:

In an interview with Swedish news agency TT in 2013, when asked who should win the Nobel Prize, he said that he would like to give it to himself.

but yeah, he's cool. 'Grain of Wheat' (w/ marxist edits) is powerful stuff.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
also, Nobel prize comittee just posted this on FB: https://www.facebook.com/nobelprize/photos/a.164901829102.119895.81239734102/10153155952709103/?type=3&theater

so... Alexievitch, Nawal el Saadawi, Maryse Conde and Joyce Carol Oates seem to be most popular women candidates at bookies. After Munro and Modiano I don't think they'd choose culturally quite close writers such as Conde or Oates. El Saadawi seems to tick too many boxes (liberal muslim, feminist in a sexist country, Arab writer), but maybe they do want to be seen as a prize with political message once again.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Haven't heard about this, what's it about? How long is it? I assume you got a Norwegian version? Ahhh I can't wait for My Struggle 5 and 6 to be translated, and now he has another book out already to look forward to.

It's the first of a series of four novels which consists of letters to his as of yet unborn daughter, each named after the seasons. There's a new one coming in Norwegian already next month. From what I've read so far (started last night) its mostly musings about different things in the world, combined with a bit of introspective reflection and so on. Like that urine chapter was both like "have you ever thought about how much we pee? why do we take this bodily function for granted but not the others" and then he (the narrator) goes on to talk about something he remembered from his childhood. These are not nearly as long as the My Struggle books. Don't know when they'll be translated to English, though. v:shobon:v

ulvir fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 8, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow now and one thing I've learned about Pynchon from 49 and V. Is you can't ever hope to parse all the data he's throwing at you. Just drift through the myriad tangential micro fictions and groknwhat you can, go ahead and read several pages and forget everything from sentence to sentence even. Eventually dots sort of start to connect. You can't hope to get it all now so get what you can. Eventually it starts to accumulate.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

As smart as Pynchon is, and as much as he seems to know every thing ever it's still a lot of trivia, and at the end of the day dudes just stoned as hell. He doesn't hold any great secret of life he's hiding, he's just presenting every possible route towards his ideas with as much detail that makes the scene both physical, psychological and anchored in time and place as he can. Pynchon is all about scene and setting, but the setting is as prone to be psycho-sexual as geographical.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really didn’t get Crying of Lot 49 (the only Pynchon I’ve read). I feel like it was maybe deeply rooted in a certain way of American culture to the point where I felt like I was standing outside pointing through the glass and scratching my head. I usually like his kind of style and was really looking forward to it, so I was disappointed, but I just got nothing from the book at all.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Holy poo poo, Svetlana actually won the Nobel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah she seems really interesting. Excited to start reading her today.

So the two big ones seem to be Zinky Boys and Voices from Chernobyl. Anyone have a recommendation>

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 8, 2015

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I wrote about Second-Hand Time earlier in the thread, but I think you can pick the book on whichever topic interests you more.

She's a worthy winner, I guess, but for some reason I feel underwhelmed with the choice. Didn't feel the book I read added much to the topic that hadn't been said a hundred times before. Hope it's not a return of the witness literature with the new head of the prize committee.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
does anyone want to talk about Chretien de Troyes & Celtic sources for le Chevalier de la Charrette

bc i want to talk about that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

End Of Worlds posted:

does anyone want to talk about Chretien de Troyes & Celtic sources for le Chevalier de la Charrette

bc i want to talk about that

There's http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881#post427361837 but that's a more general thread

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really didn’t get Crying of Lot 49 (the only Pynchon I’ve read). I feel like it was maybe deeply rooted in a certain way of American culture to the point where I felt like I was standing outside pointing through the glass and scratching my head. I usually like his kind of style and was really looking forward to it, so I was disappointed, but I just got nothing from the book at all.

I didn't really enjoy Lot 49 either but Gravity's Rainbow is really great and I'm reading V atm and while the first few pages didn't grab me and I was afraid it was going to be Lot 49 all over again Esther got a nose job and it was a fantastic chapter and everything since then has been good and I like it so maybe try some of his other stuff.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The key to understanding Pynchon is watching Marx brothers movies and doing :catdrugs:.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Managed to grab a copy of Voices from Chernobyl and ordered Zinky Boys online.

Just got done with the prologue to Chernobyl and I can already see why she won.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Voices from Chernobyl seems hella interesting. I'm gonna keep an eye out for that one.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A friend of mine read it and said it was good, but he's an idiot sooo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

She has a very admirable ability to construct what is essentially a transcript into what comes off as a complete artistic work of prose.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow now and one thing I've learned about Pynchon from 49 and V. Is you can't ever hope to parse all the data he's throwing at you. Just drift through the myriad tangential micro fictions and groknwhat you can, go ahead and read several pages and forget everything from sentence to sentence even. Eventually dots sort of start to connect. You can't hope to get it all now so get what you can. Eventually it starts to accumulate.

Yeah a lot of websites about Pynchon treat him like he's this treasure trove of references you're supposed to decipher. I never felt that that was really the right way to read him, he was just a product of a certain time and subculture. My dad was born in the same year and also worked on boats and stuff and had a somewhat similar background, and he'd make the same kind of jokes and sing silly songs about Hitler's ballsack all day that you read in Pynchon. It's just a silent generation thing, they loved memes I think. That's probably also why he's popular with people who grew up with the internet.

I like early Pynchon when he was still writing about the Watts riots and stuff. Inherent Vice is too Murakamilike.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Shibawanko posted:

It's just a silent generation thing, they loved memes I think.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Voices from Chernobyl is an incredible book and is seriously one of the most moving pieces of work I have ever read.

It's better than almost anything ever. Well deserved.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

can we bring this back

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 9, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Robotnik Nudes posted:

As smart as Pynchon is, and as much as he seems to know every thing ever it's still a lot of trivia, and at the end of the day dudes just stoned as hell. He doesn't hold any great secret of life he's hiding, he's just presenting every possible route towards his ideas with as much detail that makes the scene both physical, psychological and anchored in time and place as he can. Pynchon is all about scene and setting, but the setting is as prone to be psycho-sexual as geographical.

Pick up the weisenburger companion sometime after you're done and give it a re-read, and you'll discover that the book is actually super tightly-constructed.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Nanomashoes posted:

Pick up the weisenburger companion sometime after you're done and give it a re-read, and you'll discover that the book is actually super tightly-constructed.

Yeah, my first attempt to get through GR I took the approach of just trying to let it wash over me and hoping things would start to make some sense eventually. The second time I came back with some chapter summaries and it was much more enjoyable actually knowing what the hell was going on and being able to see the structure as a whole.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

I can appreciate that it is and sometimes my dumb brian sees the connections, there's just so many and trying to understand them all is, to a degree, like trying to get through a single wiki page while also clicking and reading every single linked article.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

its been a while since ive read anything substantive so i went and bought:

chronicle of a death foretold by gabriel garcia marquez
falconer by john cheever
straight man by richard russo
mr vertigo by paul auster
sabbaths theater by philip roth
half of a yellow sun by chimamanda ngozi adichie
blow up and other stories by julio cortazar
new yorker stories by ann beattie
labyrinths by jorge luis borges
the collected stories by amy hempel

excited to start digging in but i dont know which one to start with!!

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 14, 2015

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I say Chronicle of a Death Foretold because I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, by the same guy.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Marlon James won the Man Booker Prize last night. Anybody read anything by him / know anything about him beyond what the newspapers were saying ("He is a Jamaican" seemed to be their line)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

its been a while since ive read anything substantive so i went and bought:

chronicle of a death foretold by gabriel garcia marquez
falconer by john cheever
straight man by richard russo
mr vertigo by paul auster
sabbaths theater by philip roth
half of a yellow sun by chimamanda ngozi adichie
blow up and other stories by julio cortazar
new yorker stories by ann beattie
labyrinths by jorge luis borges
the collected stories by amy hempel

excited to start digging in but i dont know which one to start with!!

Labyrinths owns

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Finished Knausgård's latest novel, and it made me hungry for more. I think I'm gonna start on the first book of My Struggle either a wee bit later this year, or from january onwards.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Marlon James won the Man Booker Prize last night. Anybody read anything by him / know anything about him beyond what the newspapers were saying ("He is a Jamaican" seemed to be their line)

Read A Brief History of Seven Killings earlier this year. Its hard to separate "He's Jamaican" from his writing since its all done in thick Jamaican dialect. I thought the writing was beautiful but I also wondered how much of that was my white rear end going "wow, how exotic."

He def earned the win though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I also wondered how much of that was my white rear end going "wow, how exotic."

I was fearing that that was the crusty critics too. But I'll give him a go, probably.