Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

About half the time my stupid tsa pre check doesn't show up on my boarding pass. It shows up if I buy the ticket on my account, but our travel agent buys our tickets for work travel.

I've tried using various first, middle, last combinations, and have had the agent add my known traveler number to the reservation and not add it. I call the airline and sometimes they can make it work, sometimes they can't. Anyone have any idea what's the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've found if you have the KTN in the KTN field, it works. If I don't, it rarely works.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I book work travel pretty much exclusively through our agent (Travizon) and I always have pre-check. They have a field for the KTN on there and I made sure to have all my names the same on all my airline profiles as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I got the dreaded SSSS on my last trip and it was a bitch. The system didn't even want to allow me to board. Luckily it is a small airport and the TSA & Delta reps there have seen me multiple times a month for years, so they let me on and manually got it fixed once I was airborne. But it was looking questionable there for a bit. It was personal travel going international, so missing that flight would have really put a damper on the vacation before it even started. Even once I got to Atlanta it took an agent like half an hour to get me checked in for the TATL segment. Though once they got it through I had pre-check back on the boarding pass.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What's ssss?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Flagged for extra screening. I've gotten it before and just had my luggage hand checked. But this time it was more of a kafka-esque experience where nobody could even figure out what needed to happen for the system to allow me to board.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thoguh posted:

Flagged for extra screening. I've gotten it before and just had my luggage hand checked. But this time it was more of a kafka-esque experience where nobody could even figure out what needed to happen for the system to allow me to board.

If the computer says you're a terrorist, then you have no place on an airplane. Think of the children! :911:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_Security_Screening_Selection

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I got SSSS once and literally nothing was different.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Same, I wondered what the deal was.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

About half the time my stupid tsa pre check doesn't show up on my boarding pass. It shows up if I buy the ticket on my account, but our travel agent buys our tickets for work travel.
What airline? Did you pay for it, or do you have the complimentary version offered by some airlines to their frequent fliers?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Uncle Jam posted:

They are supposed to swab you for explosives residue. If you are going through normal security, everything else is normal.

The biggest thing for frequent travelers is that for SSSS-flagged itineraries you can't check-in online, and have to do it in person at the airport. And it also invalidates your Precheck status.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've found if you have the KTN in the KTN field, it works. If I don't, it rarely works.
This. I've never been denied Precheck once on airlines that offer it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
At DTW they just swab every 3rd person in line without checking boarding passes. I get swabbed a lot.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

How is Delta out of DTW, seeing as it's a hub? I've never flown with them and I've only used the other terminal with AA, but seeing as I'm here until the middle of next year (Philly is my home) and I can get some easy SkyMiles with the Gold SkyMiles card bonus, maybe it's worth it as there would be more award flight options? I don't think I have any chance of hitting AA elite status even with their challenge, and I have the AA Executive so I have priority screening and boarding any way.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

It's a code that has never been put on a terrorist's ticket.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

triple sulk posted:

How is Delta out of DTW, seeing as it's a hub? I've never flown with them and I've only used the other terminal with AA, but seeing as I'm here until the middle of next year (Philly is my home) and I can get some easy SkyMiles with the Gold SkyMiles card bonus, maybe it's worth it as there would be more award flight options? I don't think I have any chance of hitting AA elite status even with their challenge, and I have the AA Executive so I have priority screening and boarding any way.
Skymiles is a difficult currency right now as they're transitioning to revenue redemption. There are still many sweet spots, though.

DTW's Delta terminal is great. Delta put a lot of money into it and it shows. It's efficiently laid out and very easy to navigate. However between DTW and MSP, it seems that as a sole airline hub designed only for transiting passengers, there's a bit of redundancy.

There's really not that much traffic going into and out of Detroit. Delta's already begun moving all their Asia flights to just simply connect via SEA.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

What airline? Did you pay for it, or do you have the complimentary version offered by some airlines to their frequent fliers?

Southwest, paid for tsa pre.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

AdrenalinG posted:

Skymiles is a difficult currency right now as they're transitioning to revenue redemption. There are still many sweet spots, though.

DTW's Delta terminal is great. Delta put a lot of money into it and it shows. It's efficiently laid out and very easy to navigate. However between DTW and MSP, it seems that as a sole airline hub designed only for transiting passengers, there's a bit of redundancy.

There's really not that much traffic going into and out of Detroit. Delta's already begun moving all their Asia flights to just simply connect via SEA.

I know that they switched to revenue redemption but at least you kind of know what you're getting. I should have a ton of Amex MR points in the near future which move to Delta, but I'd like to keep a bit of point diversity since AA could devalue everything as soon as I'm back home. I figured that for the time being if I'm at a Delta hub it may make more sense to use Delta, and I could potentially be taking at least another 3-4 flights out of there before I move back. The North Terminal isn't horrible or anything but it's pretty bland and maybe there's a bit more to keep occupied with in McNamara.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're going back to Philly, I'd stick to AA - but it depends on the routes you fly.

Skymiles are awful from both an accrual a redemption standpoint. I personally don't really give a poo poo since I always have way more than I can possibly use, but if you're doing like SM levels of status, I really don't think it foots to be using Delta from an accrual and spend standpoint.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh I guess its Q4 status check time (this is just a bragging excuse):

Delta: Current DM, DM for 2016, 125,989/125,000 MQM
AA: Current Gold, nothing for 2016, 5,614/25,000 RDM
National: Current Exec Elite, Exec Elite for 2016, 27/25 rentals
Marriott: 48 nights, definitely will hit Gold in the next week (50), probably will hit Platinum (75) end of year, but it could be close.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Marriott: 48 nights, definitely will hit Gold in the next week (50), probably will hit Platinum (75) end of year, but it could be close.

How do you rack up so many miles with so few hotel nights?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Combo of nights in weird euro hotels and single day trips. I have probably done 20 additional hotel nights that aren't accounted for in status.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What are your upgrades like with DM?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta: Current GM, have enough already booked to hit PM in the next few weeks. Won't hit DM, but I'll carry over to next year as Silver already, and thats before counting in my Amex card spend MQM bump I'll hit by the end of the year too. 72547 MQM
National: Exec elite for this year and next.
IHG: Spire Elite with 20 rollover days for next year already. I'll probably finish with upwards of 40 rollover days, which means I'll renew Spire Elite for 2017 by March. 96 nights, 101k base points.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 7, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta: Current PM, PM for 2016, 92,258 miles so far this year
National: Current Executive, Executive for 2016, 69 rental days so far this year.
Hertz: Current President's Circle (via Delta), President's circle for 2016. 10 rental days so far this year
Hilton: Current Diamond, Diamond for 2016. 73 nights so far this year
Marriott: Current Gold (via an unprompted status challenge), Silver for next year right now, will go to Gold once I meet the challenge next week, 19 nights so far this year
IHG: Current Platinum (via CC), Platinum for next year. 2 nights so far this year

If you count reward nights I've redeemed, I'm up to 103 hotel nights this year. I'm wavering between sticking with Hilton or moving back over to Marriott for next year.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hilton is good because I travel to backwater rural Texas, where there will at least be a Hampton. What's it like to get to travel to cities where people live?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think Hilton and/or IHG are contractually obligated to slap a Hampton or HIE in any city with more than like 2000 people.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Devian666 posted:

It's a code that has never been put on a terrorist's ticket.

FWIW, 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were selected by the system, but back then it was useless because a) being selected only meant having your checked bags screened, and b) box knives were kosher to carry onboard anyway.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Q4:

I'm at 60 Hilton nights, putting me exactly at Diamond right now. Only a scattering of nights at other brands.

Airlines continue to be spread out, so I haven't earned any status on anyone yet.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 8, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I wish I could go SPG but some of my cities are just lovely enough that I can't do it.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What are your upgrades like with DM?

I can think of 3 out of 80something upgradeable domestic segments I did not receive an upgrade that weren't IRROPS or me trying to hop an earlier flight. Even IRROPS I usually get bumped up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you are forced to use your own card for reimbursements, the 30k spend on spg Amex to get gold status is pretty easy. This year I will hit it on stays.

Im bummed that the 35% off point stays happened after I already booked my trip. I have enough for a nice stay in a category 8 resort.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I get some mid tier SPG through DM, so I'm fine if I stay in the properties - just wish I could do it more to bank them points.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My turn!

Delta- Current, just barely PM, 2016 PM: 75,017 MQMs, 61 segments
Marriott- Current Platinum...probably won't get that this year. I'm tired of Marriotts. 40 nights, 423 lifetime nights
Hilton- Lowly Silver, only 15 nights. I like Hiltons better but our preferred is Marriott so sometimes it's not worth fighting the travel people over.

I stayed in a Hyatt for like 3 weeks earlier this year but I don't remember my login for their rewards. For rental cars, I'm whatever the highest Enterprise (barf...yay corporate requirements) tier is. Their rewards program is a joke so I hardly ever use my points.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sellouts posted:

If you are forced to use your own card for reimbursements, the 30k spend on spg Amex to get gold status is pretty easy. This year I will hit it on stays.

Im bummed that the 35% off point stays happened after I already booked my trip. I have enough for a nice stay in a category 8 resort.

Amex platinum also has instant SPG gold too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

kitten smoothie posted:

Amex platinum also has instant SPG gold too.

And Hilton gold now as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I dropped Amex platinum once I stopped traveling so much and they lost all of the lounge access.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Barry posted:

And Hilton gold now as well.

Whoah, I had no idea.

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/olet/enroll?campaignId=bvdk1015&offerType=hiltonbvdk1015

I picked up an Amex platinum a couple months ago because I've been traveling a little more (well, one trip a month) and most places I go have Centurion rooms. I've only been to the LGA one thus far but it's super nice.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

On Delta, I have almost enough dollars for Diamond. My miles and segments are firmly in Gold territory, and unlikely to reach Platinum by the end of the year. What is the likelihood that Delta would upgrade me to Platinum or Diamond if I called them?

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
I wasn't aware of the Hilton Gold either - thanks! Just signed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've tried using various first, middle, last combinations, and have had the agent add my known traveler number to the reservation and not add it. I call the airline and sometimes they can make it work, sometimes they can't. Anyone have any idea what's the problem?

I used to have the same issue and it was all tied to my name. TSA Pre had my middle name and whenever I booked I included it, but our office didn't.

You can use the Universal Enrollment website to ensure you're using the right name: https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/workflows?workflow=service-status