Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Ah, GG talk, I didn't miss you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Kunster posted:

Ok, did you come up with that Or did you quote that from the GamerGate Sings site?

She had it coming
She had it coming
She only had herself to blame
If you'd have been there
If you'd have seen it
How could you tell us that it's not actually about ethics in video game journalism?

Cyron posted:

I hope to god it from a gamergate site since that is a ton of effort for nothing and the song is out of tune.

Jokes on you, Andrew Lloyd Weber has already contacted me to purchase the rights.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I can't believe these gamers control the fate of Middle East.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Lichtenstein posted:

Wasn't that the plot to WarGames 2?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

dijon du jour posted:

Wasn't that the plot to WarGames 2?

There is a Wargames 2? How is that possible. Why would the military ever try that stunt again after it almost destroyed the world the first time around?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

e X posted:

There is a Wargames 2? How is that possible. Why would the military ever try that stunt again after it almost destroyed the world the first time around?

The military cannot fail, it can only be failed.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Terrible Opinions posted:

He's one of Anita's producers who is very privileged and very opposed to violence period. As such he will use social media outlets to criticize any use of violence in any media, as being dangerous to society. He will also attempt to claim any use of violence is inherently masculine and sexist.

That was his reasoning when he claimed Fury Road was not feminist, and that action movies inherently cannot be feminist because of action and violence. Better to skip that twitter feed, he's a loving idiot.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

e X posted:

The best part is that there is actually a sequel to WarGames, and it has almost nothing to do with the first movie.

quote:

Rebooted, RIPLEY redirects the Predator drone, which she uses to destroy the facility housing Joshua. Joshua warns the professor that RIPLEY's advancing attack would result in obliteration; so Will and Annie flee the facility just before it gets blown up by the drone's missile, with the professor, who was dying from pancreatic cancer remaining in the building at the time, last seen typing extremely fast, finishing with something that looks like an "Enter", and saying "Goodbye, Joshua".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Wikipedia posted:

Release dates July 29, 2008

Why?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Relevant to the UN argument http://www.theonion.com/video/ambassador-stages-coup-at-un-issues-long-list-of-n-14332

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

quote:

After RIPLEY relinquishes control, Will asks WOPR if he really would have launched the missiles if RIPLEY had decided to continue playing. WOPR replies that he would have, and that humanity is doomed, before revealing that he was merely joking.

Everyone laughs. Freeze frame. Begin credits.

e: I need to find this movie and watch it immediately.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Funny you say that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

I could listen to James SPader drone on all day. :swoon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Funny you say that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

I could listen to James SPader drone on all day. :swoon:

James Spader can make the most mundane bullshit sound pants-shittingly ominous :allears:

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

That was his reasoning when he claimed Fury Road was not feminist, and that action movies inherently cannot be feminist because of action and violence. Better to skip that twitter feed, he's a loving idiot.

That wasn't her? She should really tell whoever that is to stop giving his opinions under her picture/"brand". Feminism and pacifism are different things entirely.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If Anita thinks pacifism is related to feminism, it's certainly not to the degree MacIntosh does. If you read her thesis she practically gushes over Buffy, which is not a pacifist show.

I mean, I guess she could've changed her mind, but I doubt to that degree. I recall that the FF curator page on steam also recommends a few non-pacifist games but I gave up trying to find it to give examples because searching "Feminist Frequency" on Steam gives like 1000 impersonator pages.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I know I'm walking on eggshells when I say this, but I've never been totally behind Feminist Frequency. It's not that I think the videos are all full of crap, but there's always something about them that's always sat wrong with me, and I've never been able to ascertain what it is. If I had to give some kind of reason, I think I'd say they seem too clinical, or too shallow.

In the last few months, I've read a couple of things that oppose some of the critiques Feminist Frequency has made (Here's one by Jeff Kunzler regarding Mad Max Fury Road and another by Erik Kain regarding Witcher 3.)

I know this post is probably a mess (it's late, and I'm not great at articulating my thoughts), and I'm sorry if I coming across as an rear end in a top hat. I don't really chime in on the more hotly debated topic, but this has been brewing in my head for a while, and I wanted to put it forth and see if I'm being unreasonable or in the wrong.

A question, though: Did McIntosh actually say this, or is this just some image edit?

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
he wrote that https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/515948207747002368

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I know I'm walking on eggshells when I say this, but I've never been totally behind Feminist Frequency. It's not that I think the videos are all full of crap, but there's always something about them that's always sat wrong with me, and I've never been able to ascertain what it is. If I had to give some kind of reason, I think I'd say they seem too clinical, or too shallow.

Well that's because they're incredibly shallow. She spent like three episodes saying "video games have a real bad habit of using women as trophies".

If you took the series on its own, it's pretty feminism 101, it talks a lot about surface issues and rarely touches on the root causes. It's only when you realize the sheer volume of threats she gets because of them that they really get any value.

Which is fitting, because a key thing in feminism is that context matters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That quote is loving amazing.

I also like games where you don't actually control anything.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty great, considering "game" is virtually synonymous with "control".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Andrast posted:

That quote is loving amazing.

I also like games where you don't actually control anything.

I think he's more talking about gamers' desire for "control" in terms of how "more choice is always better" (e.g. gamers who whine if killing civilians or children or women or whatever is removed from a game), but it's hard to tell. It's certainly phrased... inelegantly if that's what he meant.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
The irony is that if her most radical detractors didn't constantly give her so much ammo (threats on her person, inappropriate comments, etc.) and just let her carry on as she would have, she would not have even half of the attention she has today. Also, people would be more open to look at legitimate criticism of her work rather than treat every negative thing said of her work as from the mouths of misogynists, neck-beards and basement dwellers.

Basically, gently caress gamergate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mad Lupine posted:

The irony is that if her most radical detractors didn't constantly give her so much ammo (threats on her person, inappropriate comments, etc.) and just let her carry on as she would have, she would not have even half of the attention she has today. Also, people would be more open to look at legitimate criticism of her work rather than treat every negative thing said of her work as from the mouths of misogynists, neck-beards and basement dwellers.

Basically, gently caress gamergate.

For an extra layer of pathetic, a lot of gators seem to rationalise this as her being a dangerous manipulator.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I don't think you need to be "behind" it, any more than you need to be behind any other Babby's First series. It's not exactly controversial to say FF is pretty shallow and boring, just so long as you don't then descend into "and that's why she's ruining video games and/or literally Hitler reborn." Because FF is super shallow and boring and basically not worth the time spent to watch it if you've already managed to think, "Huh, it's kind of weird how girls don't get to do as much cool stuff as guys in like 90% of these games."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It does bring up examples of various instances where this happens, and frankly I think I learned a thing or two in watching it. A lot of it really was kind of obvious, but it rarely hurts to remind yourself of the basics.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

paradoxGentleman posted:

It does bring up examples of various instances where this happens, and frankly I think I learned a thing or two in watching it. A lot of it really was kind of obvious, but it rarely hurts to remind yourself of the basics.

Given how often I run into people who neither know nor understand even the most basic principles of feminism or criticism, I compactly agree.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's also gratifying to see it when people get really mad and claim that x version of feminism and the big bad tumblr beast is ruining their way of life.

It's like they don't want the agency they were allowed to have for basically forever.

Or they just want to be blameless and do whatever they like.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anita Sarkeesian sounds pretty cool, as opposed to anyone who refers to themselves as a Gamer.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

For an extra layer of pathetic, a lot of gators seem to rationalise this as her being a dangerous manipulator.

it really a monster gaters made themselves, i keep telling gators this but their still go on their ways. it really like John Cena, they hate him and they buy the Cena sucks shirt at the WWE.com shop for 10 dollars.

BobbyK posted:

Anita Sarkeesian sounds pretty cool, as opposed to anyone who refers to themselves as a Gamer.

the new day from WWE are gamers and their petty cool dudes, also all 3 trashed hulk Hogan for hating blacks and pissed off rednecks at the same time.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 9, 2015

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Wrestling is fake though

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BobbyK posted:

Wrestling is fake though

wrestling been known to be fake for over 20 years, your not fresh or witty.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BobbyK posted:

Wrestling is fake though

That only makes it better!

Wrestling is a shonen anime given form.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BobbyK posted:

Wrestling is fake though
Yes but New Day is made up of three real dudes who landed some burns on Hulk Hogan for being a real life racist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

The name's Recoome it rhymes with doom and you're gonna be hurting all too soon!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey, it can have shoujo elements.

Tyler Breeze :swoon:

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yes but New Day is made up of three real dudes who landed some burns on Hulk Hogan for being a real life racist.

I'm sorry I don't know what that is, I thought it was just Cyron being Cyron

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BobbyK posted:

I'm sorry I don't know what that is, I thought it was just Cyron being Cyron

EDIT: you know I understand that I should of been clearer on what I was trying to say, i am sorry i lashed out to you.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 9, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Seriously, Cyron has some bad opinions, but Fishmech, SmoothRich, Boosted_C5 or jRodefelde he isn't.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Annointed posted:

It's also gratifying to see it when people get really mad and claim that x version of feminism and the big bad tumblr beast is ruining their way of life.

It's like they don't want the agency they were allowed to have for basically forever.

Or they just want to be blameless and do whatever they like.

People being scared of "tumblr" is super funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I'll never let these gay teens condecend to me!"

• Locked thread