Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
"Could you always talk?"

"Do you know other dogs that can talk?"

"Is it safe to enter another tavern?"

"How did you get here?"

"Have you seen other people outside of the taverns?"

"Have you seen any notable events take place inside taverns?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Nyaa posted:

"How did you leave the tavern?"

"Does the bartender stop you from leaving?"

"Is there a Viking saga in your room?"

"Is your bartender a dog?"

"How do you survive for so long? Where can I find food and money beside the tavern?"

"The door."

"No?"

"What?"

"Why would a dog be a bartender?"

"There are a lot of tavern patrons willing to take pity on a hungry dog."

Ralith posted:

"Could you always talk?"

"Do you know other dogs that can talk?"

"Is it safe to enter another tavern?"

"How did you get here?"

"Have you seen other people outside of the taverns?"

"Have you seen any notable events take place inside taverns?"

"Yes."

"No."

"I have done so many times."

"I exited the tavern that I was in."

"No."

"Yes. Not any that are obviously relevant to our situation, though."

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Music Theory posted:

"Yes. Not any that are obviously relevant to our situation, though."
"Why not share a few while we rest?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You said normal world? You don't mean my world. What the gently caress kind of normal world has talking dogs?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Outrail posted:

You said normal world? You don't mean my world. What the gently caress kind of normal world has talking dogs?

Mr. Louis does a dog-shrug.

Ralith posted:

"Why not share a few [stories] while we rest?"

"Alright."

Music

A woman walked into a bar and pulled down a rain-soaked hood from her head. She ordered a drink and sat down in a booth. A man with an anchor tattoo soon walked over and sat across from her.

"You know we're leaving tomorrow, right?"

Did she know?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Yes

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
YEP!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yes, but she forgot their destination

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Sure

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
NO just to be contrarian.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

"Yes, and you know you don't have to remind me." said the woman.

"Hey, I'm just being careful. Don't want anything going wrong because someone drank too much the night before."

"I'm not careless."

"Suit yourself."

The man leaned back. He looked at his watch and stood.

"Don't forget."

The woman took a sip of her drink.

Music

"poo poo."

The woman had overslept. She didn't have time to wait for a bus; she just took off on a bike and hoped that the priceless, ancient books she was trying to smuggle didn't get damaged in the rain.

She cursed under her breath again.

There were two routes from her apartment to the bay. The first wound through the quieter sections of the city, trading time for an easier ride with less hazards from doors or angry motorists. The second went straight through the heart of the city, putting anybody that rode it at the risk of slamming into a myriad of obstacles.

Which route did she take?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Straight through :colbert:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Straight

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Straight, and I assume she'd put the books in a bag in a plastic bag, instead of balancing them on her head.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Screwing up that smuggling job would have been a lot less fun than getting hit by a car. She took the path through the city.

Music

She put the books in a few layers of plastic bags and other waterproof materials, threw on a raincoat, and got to pedaling.

The straight path through town was divided into two sections: the uphill, and the downhill, each equal in length. First was the uphill. This was the hard part of the ride, and the woman climbed with a grimace and the hope that the punishment for failure wouldn't be too great. When she reached the top of the hill she looked down at the harbor, saw that the ship was still docked, and decided that she did, in fact, have enough time to reach it. She set off down the hill, dodging cars, pedestrians and the occasional stray door. She reached the port just as the last crate was being loaded onto the boat.

How did she get the books onto the ship?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
At the bottom on the hill adjacent the mooring lay a discarded piece of packaging propped against a crate. She ramped off that thing and slammed onto the deck like hell's own messenger!

Out of sight of the rest of the crew she dropp the package at the feet of her contact and rode down the gangplank jeering at the sailors like some wannabe extreme brotard.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Hide it in her chest.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Hide it in her chest.

There were too many books for that to have worked.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

How many books are there?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Enough to fill a backpack.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What was the original smuggling plan?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Nyaa posted:

What was the original smuggling plan?

To get the books on the boat. The woman was in charge of actually accomplishing that. Once that's done, her employers take over.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Yell out to one of the workers, "[contact name] forgot to pack his coat, tell him to come get it!"

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

[There were only two votes that were possible, so I flipped a coin and got Plan Outrail]

There was only one choice. She saw a ramp, covered her face, and prepared for takeoff.

Music

She hit the deck with her front wheel first and almost lost her balance, but she got back up. She rode around the ship, dropped the package off in a nondescript corner with her jacket on top of it and rode down the gangplank, onto the port and into the city. Most of the sailors were too surprised to do anything, and those who were able to react couldn't do much. She was already gone by that time.

"I learned that from conversations I heard over the course of a few days."

Mr. Louis stands.

"I am going to the center of this place. You may follow me if you wish."

You have been listening to a story told by a dog who has told you that you are both trapped in a dimension made entirely of taverns, bars, and other such establishments. You might have originally thought that it was just a strange alcohol induced hallucination, but that story took forever and you've had time to become, if not entirely, more sober.

You're sitting in an alley next to a building made of metal with multicolored lights decorating it. This is not the kind of thing you encountered before you came here. That might not be true, though; you don't remember much of that period of your life. By that the narrator means that you remember nothing at all from before you woke up in a prison carriage. You come to the sudden realization that this situation is, frankly, ridiculous.

What do you do?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sit quietly for a moment and demand silently that the universe start making sense this instant

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We've lost our minds. Or dreaming. Grasp light pole, slam head into light pole.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Follow Roscoe. Ask if he knows what's there. Plot our next drink order.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Follow Roscoe until it die

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

You contemplate having an existential crisis, but you decide against it. Instead, you follow the dog.

You hum an upbeat tune to take your mind off of things.

You pass taverns and inns that grow more and more exotic as you near the center of the city. Bright lights reflect off of strange building materials, and the architectural design becomes, frankly, ridiculous. In fact, some of the buildings aren’t even really buildings, instead, floating vessels that look vaguely like a metal ship. You realize that, if the buildings are that ridiculous, the drinks must be even more so. You salivate at that thought.

Eventually, you walk out of an alleyway to find that there are no more taverns. The roads continue, but the lots between them are empty. Mr. Louis urges you on.

Music

You reach the edge of what looks like a park. Trees and hedges line the edges and you and the dog push through them. The park is small, only taking up the same space as four taverns. (You've decided to make a unit of measurement based on the size of an average tavern.) A fountain sits in the center, surrounded by metal benches facing outward in the four cardinal directions.

Mr. Louis speaks.

"I will admit that, while I didn't know what would be here, I didn't expect this. I'll have to look around. Do as you wish, but don't disturb my thought."

The dog begins sniffing at the bushes.

What do you do?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Drink from the fountain

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Play in the park. Seesaw, slider, and sand castle! Actually, build a sand tavern instead.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

Nyaa posted:

build a sand tavern instead.

Yep, this Also a little sand man and dog

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

You take a sip from the fountain.

Music

It tastes just like Fro Jone Imlky… Orxange? Yeah! It tastes just like that! You drink more. A lot more, and now that you're properly inebriated, you need to work on your magnum opus. You saunter over to a pile of sand and begin shaping it into something that no other sand creation can equal. See how its ramparts gleam like copper in the sun! Inspect the foundations, examine your fine work, see how masterfully it is built. This sand tavern will last forever and be your monument to what you can accomplish by drinking a poo poo ton of alcohol.

What does it look like?

(Feel free to submit diagrams if you are so inclined, but "Castle!" is a good answer, too.)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Real life scale 1:1 sand tavern. We will walk into it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Nyaa posted:

Real life scale 1:1 sand tavern. We will walk into it.

Truly, we are an inspired sand-architect

Either that or too drunk to do anything but duplicate what we've spent all day seeing.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Some art, courtesy of my sister:

She's prone to starting things and not finishing them. So as to not make that common to the entire family, I'm probably going to post the next update in an hour or so.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Music

A world full of taverns and you're going to make another one in the center of it. Maybe you can reach another tavern dimension if you go inside of it and then try to leave again? Who knows! You get to work.

Louis paces the perimeter of the park, stopping to sniff every so often. He doesn't seem to care about your antics, but who can say what he truly thinks? That dog is a mystery. He's also a dog, and you aren't very good at reading the emotional state or thought processes of non-human animals. Especially not when you're drunk. Anyway, you've got more important things to think about, such as where the windows will go.

Louis goes to the fountain and inspects it, then drinks some of it. He doesn't react to it. You guess dogs don't care about alcohol. You scratch out the dog bowl linked to a keg from your plans.

"Have you found anything?"

Louis stands under you as you work on the sign. You say that you haven't, and that you've been working on this masterpiece the entire time. He looks around.

"Where did you get the sand?"

You realize that you don't know where the materials for any of the tavern came from. Not the sand, the wood, nor even the glowing beer sign. In fact, you don't even know how that sign is getting power. You stare at your hands in awe. Are you some sort of god? Can you create matter and energy with mere thought? This demands some heavy contemplation on your part. You dip a sand mug into the fountain, take a seat at your sand bar, then take a swig. In retrospect, the sand mug was a bad idea, but that doesn't matter right now.

What do you tell Mr. Louis?

What do you do with your apparent magical abilities?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

"Mr. Louis, I think I got it! We might be trapped in the plane of Tavern Business Simulation! The only way to escape is to WIN THIS THING! Either by destroying our competition or drive them out of business! It all make sense now! Every bartender is like us! We all eventually driven into starting a tavern...! Well, except you since dog don't run bars, right? NO OFFENSE!"

"ANYWAY, LET'S DO THIS! WE WILL START THIS BAR, MAKE THE BEST BEER AND SELL AT THE LOWEST COST! WIN THIS THING! YEAH! "

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Tell him there was a pile of it. We guess we used it up? Offer him a drink.

Put the finishing touches on our tavern, then use our magic abilities to add a door to the pantry that exits Somewhere Else. If we can make glowy things, maybe we can make wormholes!

If that doesn't work out, install a tap in our tavern that routes to the fountain, then open for business.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Make a tiny keg of whiskey. Drink the tiny keg of whisky.

• Locked thread