Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kind of weak but with some good jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Flash episode last night was maybe a half a step better than that episode with the robot bees. It was pretty bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
TVIV is real mad about Gotham this week.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't watched flash yet, how was the premiere?

It would have been a great episode 3 or 4 but as a season opener it was pretty underwhelming and with some spotty effects. They are setting up for some cool stuff within the next few episodes though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It was "weak" for a premiere. It wasn't pants on head stupid though. Though it had a couple of points where it was close. I feel like the premiere should actually establish things in a strong way, instead of only teasing things. Most of the episode was wrapping up stuff from the last finale. It was weird.

AoS was amazing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ToastyPotato posted:

It was "weak" for a premiere. It wasn't pants on head stupid though. Though it had a couple of points where it was close. I feel like the premiere should actually establish things in a strong way, instead of only teasing things. Most of the episode was wrapping up stuff from the last finale. It was weird.

AoS was amazing.

I have a problem with it not only because its a premiere, but because we are now starting off season 2 with the exact same formula as Season 1, only worse.

In season 1 the majority of the episodes were as follows: Barry encounters metahuman -> Barry gets rear end kicked by metahuman after just charging at it stupidly -> Barry's team comes up with way to defeat metahuman -> small sprinkling of the larger plot throughout.

This first episode of season 2 was exactly the same. Barry is just as dumb and has shown no growth. In addition, the larger plot is getting more time now so the "villain-of-the-week" gets less time on screen which makes it come across as even more of a throw in. Basically the only purpose of that guys screen time in the episode was to say Zoom at the end, and to show that Barry needed the team. There are other ways they could have done that while making it a more tight and focused episode. Don't even get me started on the Barry's dad thing either.

I watched Flash and AoS back-to-back and the quality difference was startling, and I really did like most of Flash season 1. I want Flash to get away from the monster of the week problem that plagued AoS season 1.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 7, 2015

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

mikeraskol posted:

I have a problem with it not only because its a premiere, but because we are now starting off season 2 with the exact same formula as Season 1, only worse.

In season 1 the majority of the episodes were as follows: Barry encounters metahuman -> Barry gets rear end kicked by metahuman after just charging at it stupidly -> Barry's team comes up with way to defeat metahuman -> small sprinkling of the larger plot throughout.

This first episode of season 2 was exactly the same. Barry is just as dumb and has shown no growth. In addition, the larger plot is getting more time now so the "villain-of-the-week" gets less time on screen which makes it come across as even more of a throw in. Basically the only purpose of that guys screen time in the episode was to say Zoom at the end, and to show that Barry needed the team. There are other ways they could have done that while making it a more tight and focused episode. Don't even get me started on the Barry's dad thing either.

Just finished the episode and I have to agree 100%. I honestly can't believe they ended last season on that singularity and then it's taken care of in like two minutes in this episode. Also, that dad thing? Why does Barry's dad have to leave again? How does that make any sense, especially during an episode all about how Barry needs his family to be at his best.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

Just finished the episode and I have to agree 100%. I honestly can't believe they ended last season on that singularity and then it's taken care of in like two minutes in this episode. Also, that dad thing? Why does Barry's dad have to leave again? How does that make any sense, especially during an episode all about how Barry needs his family to be at his best.

Yeah there are a dozen different ways they could have come up with to make the end result the same but make sense. I get that maybe they wouldn't want to make it too dark but the way they did it was dumb and a waste of time. They really couldn't keep him on the show? It felt like they were written into a corner and could not figure a way out but really didn't want to go grim dark and kill him too.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah there are a dozen different ways they could have come up with to make the end result the same but make sense. I get that maybe they wouldn't want to make it too dark but the way they did it was dumb and a waste of time. They really couldn't keep him on the show? It felt like they were written into a corner and could not figure a way out but really didn't want to go grim dark and kill him too.

I just don't understand why they had him released in the first place if they were only going to write him off five minutes later. At least center an episode around him and Barry reconnecting and he realizes that he doesn't belong in Central City or something. The kid spent 15 years trying to get you out of jail, the least you could do is hangout with him for the weekend.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

I just don't understand why they had him released in the first place if they were only going to write him off five minutes later. At least center an episode around him and Barry reconnecting and he realizes that he doesn't belong in Central City or something. The kid spent 15 years trying to get you out of jail, the least you could do is hangout with him for the weekend.

Bad writing and budget constraints (actor contracts.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aside from Jay Garrick at the end, the season premiere of Flash really felt like a hastily thrown together series finale where the staff finds out they probably aren't getting another season halfway through filming the back half of the current season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arrow was much better than Flash this week. That was much more like a premiere. Wow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where are the flashbacks set this season?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

It started in Coast City, but by the end of the ep, they dumped him back on the island with a new mission from Waller

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

It started in Coast City, but by the end of the ep, they dumped him back on the island with a new mission from Waller

Good. HK sucked.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else just loving laugh when Arrow did a smash cut from a wedding ring to a grave? Or is my sense of humor just getting really dark?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Good. HK sucked.

This season's flashback is supposed to be about Ollie infiltrating some criminal organization.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

This season's flashback is supposed to be about Ollie infiltrating some criminal organization.

To infuriate everyone that's still pissed about the Russian mob stuff not coming up, he's actually infiltrating an Irish gang.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

To infuriate everyone that's still pissed about the Russian mob stuff not coming up, he's actually infiltrating an Irish gang.

Shocker!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi2hbejO75s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm genuinely terrified we're going to get tumblr fanfic about how sexy and misunderstood Kilgrave is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm genuinely terrified we're going to get tumblr fanfic about how sexy and misunderstood Kilgrave is.

That's a guarantee. Tennant tends to bring in the crazier portions of the Doctor Who fanbase.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Dexo posted:

That's a guarantee. Tennant tends to bring in the crazier portions of the Doctor Who fanbase.

*abducts pretty young girl and takes her on an adventure through time & space*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jscolon2.0 posted:

There are male companions :colbert:...occasionally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Haha.

Anyway, looks like the tone of JJ is going to be about where I want it and that they Kilgrave history is going to be a major conflict point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

There will be an image macro with the text "I'd let him mindrape me!" and it will be liked thousands of times.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I didn't know it was possible but the wig for this seasons flashbacks are so much worst than previous seasons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jscolon2.0 posted:

To be fair they're British women so not that pretty.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dexo posted:

Tennant himself is one of the crazier portions of the Doctor Who fanbase.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He married his daughter.

In 2 different contexts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

It's supposed to be a super crime gang based on some group that I've never heard of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

It's supposed to be a super crime gang based on some group that I've never heard of.

Is it Intergang? They were a big part of the Superman cartoon, and used Darkseid tech. I doubt they will do a crossover with Supergirl (at least this season) but if they do that would be a good reason to.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nope it's the good ol' Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Extermination

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Another interesting thing about Arrow was the Kord industries was featured quite prominently so I am wondering if this means we will eventually get a Ted Kord.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, it's not Intergang or HIVE. Something about a Tower? I can't remember off the top of my head and don't have time right now to look it up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Another interesting thing about Arrow was the Kord industries was featured quite prominently so I am wondering if this means we will eventually get a Ted Kord.

They wanted to use him last season, but were told they couldn't due to "other plans" for Ted.

Brandon Routh would have played Ted, and was written a lot like him. The change to Ray Palmer/ATOM was relatively last-minute.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

They wanted to use him last season, but were told they couldn't due to "other plans" for Ted.

Brandon Routh would have played Ted, and was written a lot like him. The change to Ray Palmer/ATOM was relatively last-minute.

Yeah but now we get shrinking so it was all for the best!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Haha.

Anyway, looks like the tone of JJ is going to be about where I want it and that they Kilgrave history is going to be a major conflict point.

I'm really torn. I love the character of Jessica Jones and I really hate Purple Man and not in the 'he's a villain you should hate him' way. It's the same thing with Punisher, he's one of my least favorite characters and they're putting him in with one of my favorites (DD). At least Deadpool isn't showing up. If that trifecta happened, I would be so pissed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm really torn. I love the character of Jessica Jones and I really hate Purple Man and not in the 'he's a villain you should hate him' way. It's the same thing with Punisher, he's one of my least favorite characters and they're putting him in with one of my favorites (DD). At least Deadpool isn't showing up. If that trifecta happened, I would be so pissed.

You just can't tell Jessica's story without Purple Man, it'd be like trying to get Batman to make narrative sense if his parents didn't die.

Also, your nuts, Punisher in DD rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Punisher was awesome when he is in Daredevil. You should read the Frank Miller run when Punisher had a great role in it.