Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
So is anything about the leadership fight/vote going to show up on CSPAN in the next three hours? Need to know if I should clear my schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Erick, son of Erick has a novel idea...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Exuberance?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Blah that's kind of an anti-climax, I guess we just don't get a new speaker until January. But wait, don't we still need a new House Majority Leader? Would Boehner be able to just keep bringing CRs to the floor or would that cause damage somehow?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

greatn posted:

They should just draft Paul Ryan. You can vote for whoever the gently caress you want you don't need their permission. He wants to spend time with his family? Boohoo so do millions of people working the minimum wage. You take this lovely job Paul Ryan.

Electing a Speaker in the finest Westminster tradition.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I will never get over the fact that a guy with gray hair was called a "young gun".

Some people "pre-maturely" go grey. It's not strictly and old people thing.

But yeah you've got a point when dudes in their 40s are considered young noobs compared to the rest of your party.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Nancy Pelosi negotiates Democratic votes to a majority for a moderate republican on the 7th ballot in exchange for eliminating the hastert rule and placing democrats in senior committee positions.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So we either end up with a crazy from the Tortilla Coast Raiders or someone elected with the support of Pelosi and the democrats. The former of which is catastrophic, and the latter of which will get nothing done because the base will refuse to work with anyone who came to power by the democrats' blessing.

God help us all.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
http://m.speaker.gov/press-release/statement-speaker-boehner-speaker-election

Boehner is sticking around until the GOP get its poo poo together (Jan 2017)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nancy Pelosi negotiates Democratic votes to a majority for a moderate republican on the 7th ballot in exchange for eliminating the hastert rule and placing democrats in senior committee positions.

Freedom Caucus acts like every thing is going according to plan.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wait, what even changes in January? It's still all the same crazies isn't it?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Artix posted:

So we either end up with a crazy from the Tortilla Coast Raiders or someone elected with the support of Pelosi and the democrats. The former of which is catastrophic, and the latter of which will get nothing done because the base will refuse to work with anyone who came to power by the democrats' blessing.

God help us all.

I think the most likely outcome is still that the Tea Coast people get some level of concessions and show their strength and then allow some establishment goon to get the spot. Although of course it would be an even more obvious poisoned chalice than it already is, at that point.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wait, what even changes in January? It's still all the same crazies isn't it?

New Congress from 2016 election

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

the hastert rule does't exist as a rule

what you'd have to eliminate is the ability of the speaker to wield absolute control over what bills make it to the floor of the house

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This country was nuked four years ago and we are all living in Boehner's personal hell but don't know it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I will never get over the fact that a guy with gray hair was called a "young gun".

Anyone who hasn't yet secured their k street golden parachute is a young gun. It's less a vision than it is an auction advertisement.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What are the chances of the republicans being fractured enough that Pelosi steals it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What are the chances of the republicans being fractured enough that Pelosi steals it

Zero, because the winner requires an absolute majority. Republicans would have to vote for her. It's why a handful of Republicans can block McCarthy - by voting for someone else they deny him enough votes for the absolute majority.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ohtsam posted:

New Congress from 2016 election

Oh January 2017 Sweet Jesus, what a loving mess.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Zero. You have to get to 218. Pelosi isn't getting dozens of GOP votes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

She can't win a majority. The only way that happens is if the Republicans decide to change the rule to only require a plurality, and then their vote gets split on the floor and Pelosi wins. But then she immediately loses a vote of no confidence.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's not a plurality, it's a majority. In other words, thirty Republicans would need to affirmatively vote for her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh January 2017 Sweet Jesus, what a loving mess.

it would be super bad for the GOP presidential aspirations if there is a year long internecine fight over essentially governance hanging over the campaign

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bob Ojeda posted:

It's not a plurality, it's a majority. In other words, thirty Republicans would need to affirmatively vote for her.

Republicans can be pretty spiteful - wouldn't be hilarious if they did it as a gently caress you to the tea partiers and a directive to get in line, then no-confidenced her out and replaced her with their pick?

Would take someone with a good media presence to orchestrate and sell though so it's plain not happening, not in campaign season.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Bob Ojeda posted:

And the chances of that today are nill. If there is still no Republican leadership in 2016 then we can start discussing the odds.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Boehner helps with Tea Party boner

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bob Ojeda posted:

Or a dozen more of them could be conveniently so beaten up in unrelated incidents that they can't show up to vote. :shrug:

evilweasel posted:

the hastert rule does't exist as a rule

what you'd have to eliminate is the ability of the speaker to wield absolute control over what bills make it to the floor of the house

The implication is that the new guy has to promise not to use the hastert rule as a guiding principle for bills, else he risks getting toppled.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Rep. Peter King tells me that members are crying in cloakroom, unable to handle the unrest and confusion. "A banana republic," he says.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/652181319590522880

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahahaha and now Russia is starting war with Iran. BUCKLE IN KIDS IT'S GETTIN GOOD

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Republicans can be pretty spiteful - wouldn't be hilarious if they did it as a gently caress you to the tea partiers and a directive to get in line, then no-confidenced her out and replaced her with their pick?

Would take someone with a good media presence to orchestrate and sell though so it's plain not happening, not in campaign season.

Republican primary voters are brain-dead morons and would only understand that the incumbent being primaried voted for Pelosi as speaker and vote for the challenger.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bob Ojeda posted:

Well, technically some Republicans could vote Present, right? Not that this is something that would actually happen.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

All Boehner wanted to do was drink himself to death before the holidays.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can trust that Ben Carson knows what to do in a mass shooting situation because someone pointed a gun at him in a Popeye's once.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm still relevant for a while longer, you can't get rid of me!! :unsmigghh:

:smith:

:smithicide:

:boehner:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

it would be super bad for the GOP presidential aspirations if there is a year long internecine fight over essentially governance hanging over the campaign

Yeah and Boehner's announce just says he'll sticl around till it's clear they have a leader

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

evilweasel posted:

Republican primary voters are brain-dead morons and would only understand that the incumbent being primaried voted for Pelosi as speaker and vote for the challenger.

The floor vote is a public roll-call vote, right?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

You can trust that Ben Carson knows what to do in a mass shooting situation because someone pointed a gun at him in a Popeye's once.

Ben Carson has poo poo taste in chicken.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hahahaha and now Russia is starting war with Iran. BUCKLE IN KIDS IT'S GETTIN GOOD

Do you mean Syria, or did I miss Putin really going to town on bombing countries today?>

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zoran posted:

The floor vote is a public roll-call vote, right?

Yes. That's how we know who voted against Boehner last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AhhYes posted:

Rep. Peter King tells me that members are crying in cloakroom, unable to handle the unrest and confusion. "A banana republic," he says.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/652181319590522880

FFS, you assholes brought this poo poo down on yourself and now you're crying because it's hard? gently caress you.

• Locked thread