Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TheLarson posted:

Unfortunately my only functional set of wheels/tires are the shiny ones. The stock wheels for the car have very dead tires that struggle to hold air for more than a day at a time.

You should grab a set of cheap P-type supra wheels and throw on some cheap Falkens for everyday driving and put something sticky on the wheels you currently have on there for track days or canyon runs. I picked up some P-types for mine for about $35 each, they're usually pretty cheap from scrappers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This thing is going to look amazing when it's free from the painters. I can't wait!

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

HotCanadianChick posted:

You should grab a set of cheap P-type supra wheels and throw on some cheap Falkens for everyday driving and put something sticky on the wheels you currently have on there for track days or canyon runs. I picked up some P-types for mine for about $35 each, they're usually pretty cheap from scrappers.
There are a few sets of wheels I'd love to pick up eventually, but space is at a premium right now and my landlord hates the car parts. A set of supras would be great to have around.

For reference, I've got a set of the stock wheels with 3 of 4 center caps. I may try and refurbish them for science.

(not my car)

The short list of dream wheels:

Work Equip 01's

Some flavor of SSR mesh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those Work Equips are boner inducing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a deep love for the 'inverse' Equip 01s, the Hoshino Impul G5...

...but that's because they're slightly stupid. Equip 01s are gorgeous.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

88h88 posted:

Sweet Hoshino Impul G5s
Probably the most 80's wheel in existence and I love them. A guy in the NorCal ae86 owner's group has a set of these for sale. Temptation!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm not gonna lie, most of the reason I want an 80s Toyota is so I can put stylish 80s Japanesium wheels on it. There's very few Weds wheels I don't want to cram under a car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TheLarson posted:

Probably the most 80's wheel in existence and I love them. A guy in the NorCal ae86 owner's group has a set of these for sale. Temptation!

Most 80s? Well that would explain why I need a set and a car to go with them then. How much do they sell for out of interest? I have no idea, I just want some.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

88h88 posted:

Most 80s? Well that would explain why I need a set and a car to go with them then. How much do they sell for out of interest? I have no idea, I just want some.
I believe he's asking ~$600 for all four in 14x7" without tires. The issue is condition and whether or not they come with center caps. I good clean set of these in 15" with everything will probably set you back north of $1000 easy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Psst... they're making Sakura clones now:
http://passwordjdm.com/Axis-OG-Sakura-Wheels-15x8-4x100-35-P6955C2106.aspx

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I love the equip 01's, but when I finally find my next aw11 I need to get a set of equip 03's. Still my favorite 80's style wheels

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
Dearest Internet,

Please accept my apologies for not updating this thread with anything close to regularity.

Regards,
TheLarson :smuggo: :pipe:

:siren: P.S. and now for a post roughly equivalent to that burrito that's been jamming up your system for the last week. :siren:

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
It's back from paint!

Full respray with door jams, hood jam, tops of fenders/strut towers, trunk jam, both sides of the doors, and both sides of the hatch. The color is the original Toyota 3E6 red. While the original was single stage, the new paint is 4 coats of color with 4 coats of clear to seal it in. I had them put a black line of this "chassis black + stone chip" along the underside of the rocker panels and pinch weld.

Overall the paint on the body and panels of the car came out fantastic. It still needs a good polish and a few touch ups, but overall it's a 9.75 out of 10 which is okay in my book for the sheer quantity of work they did. The panel straightening, filler work, and lines came out pretty stellar for a car with 80's econobox gaps from the factory. Overspray is minimal.

Returned safely to it's dirty and part filled garage. The tow guys the paint shop had on call were a hoot, though towing with a beat Toyota Sequoia and a rented Uhaul 4-wheel trailer was a little sketchy. That said it was cheap and everything made it home in one piece.

Day one, starting with the trunk. Putting parts on always takes twice as long as taking them off. I couldn't bring myself to put dirty or tatty looking bits back on the freshly painted car, so our came the polish. Even the little vents, hatch bump stops, and rubber gromets got the treatment. Overall, the trunk got new weatherstrip for the hatch opening and glass seal. The hatch struts were replaced last year, but I adjusted the latch to actually pop enough with a pull of the interior handle. Corollas of this vintage tend to have hatch popping issues.

Piece by piece it came together. I left the rear bumper out of the paint shop equation given that I'd just given it a rattle can job. It'll do for now, but I'm trying to track down a late (kouki) JDM one piece unit. I'd like to locate some OEM side skirts as well. Given the skyrocketing prices for factory aero bits, I might settle for OEM style reproductions made of fiberglass.

Deleting the side markers is a popular thing to do during paint as it cleans up the rear end a little bit. They don't bother me given the color of the car. I'm also sticking to my goal of nothing that can't be undone in the future. The lights get to stay.

:siren: Moving on into uncharted territory. :siren:

The following are things that I've never done to any car. Glass, rivets, weatherstrip adhesives, reconditioning rubber bits, etc. Gotta start somewhere. To google!

The Glass:

The rear quarter glass was phase one. Luckily original weatherstripping and clips are still available from Toyota. I managed to save all but a single clip from breakage during the original removal. An hour or two of razor blades and windex got the glass in good as new condition. Some fiddling and a few tense screwdriver turns and it's fully seated. It amazes me how generally flexible glass is. I've yet to water test it...

Done!

More glass, this time the rear hatch. The gasket is an unwieldy contiguous rubber strip that has slots for both the glass and the lip of the hatch door.

Step one was getting the seal affixed to the glass. I used a healthy dose of Windex to get it seated, given how slippery and quick to dry it is. For all of you non-US goons, Windex is a spray glass cleaner.

Step two is to line the remaining groove in the gasket with a tough nylon twine. By placing the glass onto the hatch and slowly pulling out the twine, the inner lip of the gasket will catch the lip of the hatch door. I don't have any pictures of this process because I was sweating bullets to try and not break my fresh glass! Finished pics in a moment.

The Rivets:
AE86 Corollas have two VIN plates. One is under the hood where you'd expect it. The other is on the inner portion of the driver's side door. Since I replaced the original door with a less dented one, the VIN plates were now mismatched. Thankfully it was nothing some drilling and riveting couldn't fix.

Drill out the original. Drill out the "new" one. Get out your new :10bux: riveter. Finally realize how easy riveting is.

This is also a good time to realize how anal I am about overspray on originally unpainted hardware. I made a point to remove as much as possible as painted bolts often times look like the hallmark of a cheap paint job. And plus most of these bolts are zinc plated which is just cool. I do need to go over this car again and remove as much of the remaining polish buildup as possible. The paint shop owes me a detail.

The Rubber and Plastic Bits:
There's really nothing else to be done with some of the discontinued rubber and plastic trim on these cars. Holding out for a cleaner part from a less sunny place is one option, but I'm not made of money so there was a lot of DIY "restoration" going on. By restoration I mean hit it with the rubber/plastic cleaner and conditioner until it either crumbles or shines up. I should have bought stock in Meguiar's and Armor All before embarking on this journey.

The vents that sit in the cowl below the windshield. Original on the left, polished on the right.

The spoiler was pretty fried from sitting in the sun for the last 30 years. It was originally bare black plastic with rubber trim. The trim I was able to resurrect with a lot of elbow grease, but the spoiler itself got a fresh coat of semi-gloss (or somewhere between that and matte black) paint. The 3M weatherstripping adhesive is an awful goop, but it was very close to what was originally used on the car.

Protip for working with Weatherstripping Adhesive:
Less is more. Overdoing it with this stuff will result in "over-goop". It's like overspray with paint but arguably worse.

Moving on...

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Toyota for some new door moisture barriers. I used the thrashed originals as templates to cut out some new ones of 4mil plastic sheeting. There are no pictures of these installed, but they go between the inside of the door and the interior door panels. Toyota's original installation procedure involved plastic packing tape. Easy.

Kapow! Looking good.

...sometime later...

The key to any 80's car is popup headlights. A tatty or broken set just won't do. While the top panels came out great, I had to send the buckets back to the paint shop for a spray. Here they are all spread out on my coffee table ready for assembly.

(A note about the newspaper 8=====D Any time I need a work surface or a drop cloth to prevent my coffee table from getting messed up, I walk to the corner and grab some free local papers from the boxes there. Seeing as I live in San Francisco, many of the papers are LGBT centric. Seeing as I reassembled these headlights a week before Folsom Street Fair, said local LGBT newspapers were rolling out the ads pretty hard. Have fun with this picture.)

Here we are, all good to go. Fresh paint, lubed joints, new OEM Japanese smoked "eyebrows", and polished everything. The original bulbs were sealed beam, which limits the selection of good aftermarket lighting. I had a set of Raybrig H4 housings on my last car that I liked so I got another set. I'm shooting for a nice clear white-ish light that isn't HID. A lot of AE86 owners run HIDs without retrofitting to a proper projector setup, which is obnoxious. I've collected enough JDM points already, so no HIDs are necessary. Getting these fitted and adjusted on the front of the car is going to suck.

Seeing as the car was so original when I purchased it, I can't bring myself to remove some of the rarely seen parts. One example of this is the spare tire. It's 30 years old and thoroughly dead, but I feel compelled to get a new tire for it and clean up the wheel. It's a handy thing to have when paired with the original scissor jack and tire iron (which is still riding around in the trunk). The only new example I can find is almost $100 on TireRack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Tracompa-3). Another option is to hit the yard for a "new" one, which would most likely still be dangerous to use. Camping Craigslist for a spare that fits may also be an option.

The mirrors are a bit of a challenge. Every. Single. Power. Mirror. That ever came on these car has "the shakes". The glass rattles slightly rendering the mirrors only slightly more than useless during normal driving. This is the result of a poor design and time's effect on a plastic clasp inside. I've hopefully remedied the shakes with some double sided tape (hey at least it was name brand), but we'll see. The other issue with these is the general condition of the covers. This picture is post polish and after a thorough cleaning. The covers look like the surface of the moon. I'll see what can be done about sourcing a better set or an aftermarket option. Maximum JDM points would dictate a set of East Bear aero mirrors, but the rounded shape doesn't quite jive with the angular car. I scored a set of RX7 FC aero mirrors from the junk yard, but these suffer from the same rounded ailment.

We'll see!

Coming Up Next:

• Get the rear quarter and door window trim assessed. The paint shop offered to spray the trim for free but looked a little skeptical when I brought it to them. I haven't unwrapped the results because I've been so busy elsewhere. I almost don't want to.
  • Reinstall the front end. Aligning the headlight buckets is always a huge pain in the rear end. Getting the gaps right often requires some massaging. The buckets themselves tend to warp over time.
  • Get the car detailed. The paint shop offered to do this for free, but I'm not sure I want to take them up on it. I'm at least going to do as much as I can before getting any professional help.
  • Resume regularly scheduled driving, chasing down leaks, rattles, and other confidence issues.

I'll also take some better shots and dig through the pictures I already have.

TheLarson fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 5, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice paint!

Most physical tire stores will work with you to get a replacement spare if you try hard enough. The wheel should clean up pretty nicely; surprised it's that rusty in Cali.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Lookin' good! Reading this thread and seeing all the old parts all cleaned up makes me itchy to get started restoring my '86 Celica. I'm gonna be running into a lot of the same issues with the same (or close enough) parts.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nice paint!

Most physical tire stores will work with you to get a replacement spare if you try hard enough. The wheel should clean up pretty nicely; surprised it's that rusty in Cali.
I'll have to hit up some of the local tire shops to see what they can do. I imagine availability is hit or miss, given that most normal people don't update their spare tires. Either way, $100 seems steep for one.

Terrible Robot posted:

Lookin' good! Reading this thread and seeing all the old parts all cleaned up makes me itchy to get started restoring my '86 Celica. I'm gonna be running into a lot of the same issues with the same (or close enough) parts.
Post some pictures! Hopefully you're not from a rusty environment. I feel like I see more old Celicas in the yard than I do RWD Corollas, so you might be in a better spot for parts availability.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
This thing is beautiful, keep up the good work

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Terrible Robot posted:

Instead of working on that, you should by my rust free roller shell st165.....

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Your attention to detail is fantastic! The amusing, yet somewhat ridiculous point is that you probably would be able to sell the car for 85-90% of what you have into the restoration when you're done, if that is your plan.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks incredible, can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

pr0craztinazn posted:

Your attention to detail is fantastic! The amusing, yet somewhat ridiculous point is that you probably would be able to sell the car for 85-90% of what you have into the restoration when you're done, if that is your plan.
Thanks! I've owned too many poorly modified cars in the past to let this one slide by on laziness. I'm trying not to be the typical PO here. I've made my fair share of poorly informed mods to prior vehicles, but I'm a changed man. All of the stock parts that are savable have been neatly tucked away.

Every time I look at the parts/labor cost spreadsheet, I have a laugh, shed a tear, and close it as fast as I can. I have no plans to sell this car at the moment, but I'd definitely be out more than a few dollars if I did. My biggest worry is that I'd never be able to find another reasonable one until the AE86 falls out of fashion with drifters and is firmly entrenched in the "classics" zone.

leica posted:

Looks incredible, can't wait to see it all buttoned up!
I keep telling myself that it'll be back together in a week or two! We'll see. I'll get some real pictures at least!

TheLarson fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 6, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No 2-tone panda paint job. :nsamad:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
What exacty did you use to restore the bits of black plastic exterior trim, just wondering if its worth restoring some of the bits on my 20 year old car or just biting the bullet and buying new oem plastics while its still available from toyota.

Love the AE86 and at least unlike the factory toyota red it wont turn pink! :mrgw:

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

track day bro! posted:

What exactly did you use to restore the bits of black plastic exterior trim, just wondering if its worth restoring some of the bits on my 20 year old car or just biting the bullet and buying new oem plastics while its still available from toyota.

Love the AE86 and at least unlike the factory toyota red it wont turn pink! :mrgw:
I've actually had good luck with Meguiar's PlastX headlight polish on non-clear plastic. It doesn't work all the time as some plastics seem resistant to it. That said, I've had results that have lasted for years (when the car is garaged). :ssh:

I haven't found any advertised plastic trim restorers that actually work. Any of the "back to black" or "ultimate black" can't touch any of the super faded black pieces. In essence you have to remove material by polish to get the black back instead of shooting it full of temporary chemicals. Some of my trim was so deeply wrecked that in some cases it needed to be lightly sanded beforehand to remove the most fried layer.

As far as the rubber goes, it's more of the same. I'm actually embarrassed to admit that Armor All wipes were amazing at cleaning and bringing back some of the rubber weatherstripping and trim. The chemicals seemed rather good at loosening the dry and rotted top layer of rubber (which turns this awful yellow) and allowing it to be scraped/scuffed off. I went through at least 3 containers of the wipes and rendered my fingers useless while cleaning trim. The end results often look great even after the armor all had evaporated and I'd made another pass with a damp rag, etc.

On a side note, I'm glad to be rid of the single stage red paint! I had a red e30 as well that was the same way.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
On the OEM Toyota parts front:

1.) Get while the getting is good on exterior/interior pieces. More and more of these parts are discontinued and getting snatched up by collectors/resellers every day. A lot of this stuff shows up on Ebay for borderline silly prices. I knackered my windshield side trim during removal and had to pay somebody in Japan $200 for a new set. They look great but I'm not proud of it. :(

2.) Get comfy with those parts fiches, crappy parts websites, and dubious inventory systems. One of my favorite things to do is getting Village Toyota and Toyota Parts Deal to list parts as "discontinued" by trying to order them. I half expect the parts guys to have my face on the dart board when I'm trying to order a bunch of maroon interior stuff and ae86 specific rubber grommets. My orders take a few extra days to get through since they have to call/email me about at least half the contents of any given shopping cart.

Luckily we're starting to see reproductions and aftermarket improved OEM styled parts popping up. Things like warning and regulatory stickers, graphics and vinyls, and interior panels are getting made by companies like TOR Parts, Retro-spec, and Techno Toy Tuning. I wish old Toyotas had the same support as old American muscle cars, but that's never going to happen. :japan:

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
So I'm coming up on the one year mark of ownership and the great state of California has informed me that I owe them $96 for the privilege of possessing an old Corolla for another year. Not too bad, I say.

This is also an opportunity. I've been considering a custom plate, because how else am I supposed to broadcast the fact that I'm an unbearable old car owner? I have the choice of the current standard plate (white w/ read "California" text and blue characters) or the 1960's reissue style (black plate w/ yellow text). I'm torn on the style and contents of the plate, but I've assembled some ideas.

All of the following plates are available:

80S AF
EGHT SIX
4AGE LOL
BWWAAAA
LATE SIX
AE86 LOL
LEAKY 86
86 LOL

You can see what's available here.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initPers.do?Submit=Order+Personalized+Plate

Help me internet. :emo:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

some abbreviation of "takumi tax" :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
EGHT SIX for sure.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

H8 SIX.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
TOFUUUU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
DNT SPLL

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
KLRTOFU is still available, but DNT SPLL is better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

IMO

Though a friend of mine has S2K XD on his S2K. which is pretty awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WEABOO

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
TOFUTAX

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
WITNESS, obv

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I can't empty-quote in here, can I?

Voting this cuz it's funny. DNT SPLL is probably the best one, though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SPD BOY

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
That's clever, but all I read is "don't spell". I'd also have to get a AC vent cup holder from the local :rice: store "Auto Freak".

Temptation! It's available...

TheLarson fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
TOFUTAX is also available. Bad decisions ITT.

• Locked thread