Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Not a Twat posted:

No, The Beginner's Guide is 90 minutes long and it stands alone. It succeeds in what it tries to do but it's very simple and in my opinion isn't worth the money. The framing device of it being a collection of games is clever but it seems very convenient to me that Coda only ever built walking simulators and only ever designed one puzzle.

Just because The Stanley Parable was funny doesn't mean The Beginner's Guide is meant to be. Also, a lot of the wacky self-satirizing stuff in the Stanley remake didn't come from Wreden alone

I wasn't completely serious with this recommendation. Just wanted to add another layer of false pretentiousness to the game. Still, it helps to know that Wreden's a real game developer with an accomplished 'artsy' game under his belt, if you want the player to fall for what the narrator tells them in The Beginner's Guide. If you didn't at least smile when Wreden was droning about insecurities and social pressure in the game where you give a lecture and have an option to freak out about a black hole at the back of the room, I don't know what to say. The poignance throughout the game was self-admittedly false and even if you don't find the plot funny funny, it's still humorous, because the premise verges on the player being tricked by the narrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's loving hilarious to me that they got this fired up for something as obviously good as closing comments. You usually make that kind of caricatural grandstanding about issues that matter, like someone destroying the social safety net or corporate corruption or equal rights for minorities or SOMETHING.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Who the gently caress reads Motherboard?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Paladinus posted:

Who the gently caress reads Motherboard?

I've never heard of it before and I'll probably forget it exists as soon as I start reading a different thread.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

I know it's not relevant to games but damnit this is some funny poo poo.

Also, I just got Crypt of the Necrodancer on sale on Steam. Top tier game, love the local co-op. Highly recommend in case anyone else still hasn't gotten it yet.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

icantfindaname posted:

it's nice to see some honest-to-god uncle moneybags republican talking points instead of the usual autistic libertarian permavirgin ones though, you have to admit

i admit that they both suck.

in other news, video games

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not a Twat posted:

No, The Beginner's Guide is 90 minutes long and it stands alone. It succeeds in what it tries to do but it's very unambitious and in my opinion isn't worth the money. The framing device of it being a collection of games is clever but it seems very convenient to me that Coda only ever built walking simulators and only ever designed one puzzle.

Just because The Stanley Parable was funny doesn't mean The Beginner's Guide is meant to be. Also, a lot of the wacky self-satirizing stuff in the Stanley remake didn't come from Wreden alone

the game is an interactive essay about philosophical aesthetics, and like you said suceeds at that. considering the stanley parable was an incoherent mess i'd say the beginner's guide is more worth playing than stanley was. unless you just really like the wacky british narrator guy and are sexually aroused by the thought of branching narrative in games no matter how dumb and/or worthless they are artistically?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 8, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6wOz3a7xbo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Love Stole the Day posted:

Also, I just got Crypt of the Necrodancer on sale on Steam. Top tier game, love the local co-op. Highly recommend in case anyone else still hasn't gotten it yet.

Necrodancer is on my short list of "absolutely everyone at least try this game out because holy poo poo" games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

"gamestop exclusive shilling necklace"

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
the one thing I love about the penny arcade thing is that the guy their making fun of look more of a manly man then them. and their still draw themselves like 18 year olds I bet.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

icantfindaname posted:

the game is an interactive essay about philosophical aesthetics, and like you said suceeds at that. considering the stanley parable was an incoherent mess i'd say the beginner's guide is more worth playing than stanley was. unless you just really like the wacky british narrator guy and are sexually aroused by the thought of branching narrative in games no matter how dumb and/or worthless they are artistically?

I don't see why the narrator's Britishness is notable...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

icantfindaname posted:

Stanley Parable was a piece of commentary on choice in video games and its self-referential structure fleshes it out nicely. Stanley Parable was also bigger in scope, even though its theme was probably more focused. Sense of exploration contributed to how the game played, too. It was a better game in all respects, but The Beginner's Guide also has its moments, and I still argue it wasn't as serious as some people purport it to be.

The Beginner's Guide tells you to keep your lamp posts to yourself, and you still lament their supposed absence in Stanley Parable. Lol.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Stanley Parable was a piece of commentary on choice in video games and its self-referential structure fleshes it out nicely. Stanley Parable was also bigger in scope, even though its theme was probably more focused. Sense of exploration contributed to how the game played, too. It was a better game in all respects, but The Beginner's Guide also has its moments, and I still argue it wasn't as serious as some people purport it to be.

bolded got a laugh out of me. stanley completely failed at what it set out to do (say something interesting about narrative choice and aesthetics in games) and didn't even seem to be fully aware of what it was trying to do, but people prefer to just ignore that and pretend it did i guess? like you're not even denying that stanley was incoherent, but you don't seem to care?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 8, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Like, can you accept that a game can be just a bit of fun? A huge easter-egg hunting with witty commentary that subverts your expectations. Because both games are exactly this.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Like, can you accept that a game can be just a bit of fun? A huge easter-egg hunting with witty commentary that subverts your expectations. Because both games are exactly this.

sure, and finding a $20 bill stuffed in your couch also fits that definition, but that doesn't make it a good work of art. i liked the stanley parable but that game was the definition of a first draft, having a bunch of good ideas floating around but completely failing at producing a coherent whole out of them. some of the endings were OK, some of them just fell flat, and they didn't add up to anything but also didn't stand up individually

beginner's guide feels like wreden figured out what he was actually trying to say in stanley and then said it

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 8, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

icantfindaname posted:

sure, and finding a $20 bill stuffed in your couch also fits that definition, but that doesn't make it a good work of art

i just want to assure anyone out there who is into expressing themselves by stuffing $20 bills into furniture that i consider it the highest form of art, next to oral sex

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

icantfindaname posted:

sure, and finding a $20 bill stuffed in your couch also fits that definition, but that doesn't make it a good work of art. i liked the stanley parable but that game was the definition of getting 90% of the way to a final draft and just flailing around and bullshitting for a conclusion

Hm, you are right, there is no satisfying conclusion in this game that experiments with narrative structure. What were they thinking!

Also, you can totally make an engaging art installation by stuffing money into your sofa. And I don't even like modern art.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Plus if you pull $20 out of your sofa you have enough money to buy either the Stanley Parable or Beginner's Guide. Art propagates art, you see.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if you want to imagine the future of PC gaming, imagine a $20 being lost inside a sofa... forever

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why isn't there a sofa money fishing simulator?
I think it'd really elevate gaming into a higher form of art.

E:Turns out Pokemon Red/Blue started after a war.

Cause no game can escape your weird hosed up conspiracy theories.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 8, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cyron posted:

the one thing I love about the penny arcade thing is that the guy their making fun of look more of a manly man then them. and their still draw themselves like 18 year olds I bet.

I wonder how their wives feel about the fact that whenever they show up in the comic their husbands have them drawn much thinner and better-looking than they actually are.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

it's called WW2, and it applies to all anime

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Are there animes that actually mention the atrocities committed by Japan in WW2?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Are there animes that actually mention the atrocities committed by Japan in WW2?

No. Literally none. I am not kidding.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Attack on Titan thought they were pretty great

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Not that I know of because A) it pisses off conservative Japanese because B) China and North/South Korea use it as political ammunition, leading to fun stuff like Chinese nationalists thrashing Japanese shops and cars while the cops look on for 10 minutes before intervening because of some diplomatic spat over a tiny island with oil and gas surrounding it. Their sentiment is generally "yeah we did some bad poo poo but so did they and we already apologized for that publically 20+ years ago so why do they keep bringing it up?" I'm not saying it's a smart stance but that's the way it is.

Note that WW2 was a terrible time for the Japanese, I do remember some anime in an alternative universe where Japan never lost the war and it was basically portrayed as Nazi Germany without ethnic cleansing, but I forgot the name. All things considered most Japanese prefer to just not talk about it in public.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

There's that one manga that personified all the nations as schoolchildren, and Japan's attack on China was equated to a slap

I did not read it, please call me out on this, I would love to be wrong

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why would they?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
what is this?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Golden Goat posted:

Dumb game theory aside, that actually seems like a pretty cool channel. I watched the one about Rick & Morty and the discussion about the downsides of the scientific method was pretty interesting. Thanks for the link!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Dumb game theory aside, that actually seems like a pretty cool channel. I watched the one about Rick & Morty and the discussion about the downsides of the scientific method was pretty interesting. Thanks for the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLK7RI_HW-E

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

His fan theories series is really doing a service in exposing how painfully stupid almost every fan theory under the sun is

Also I'm pretty sure that guy's a goon so I just gonna sday here: gently caress you idea channel guy!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There was a goon here who worked on Dead Space 3 and had a lot to say about its production was basically Studio Interference: The Official Video Game, who was this?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The dude is loving terrible but he gets a ton of clicks because he posts videos with wacky inflammatory titles that are always a variation on "IS DUMB THING FOR KIDS ACTUALLY SMART THING FOR ADULTS???" so people post links to make fun of how weird and bad it is without spending five second thinking about it and realizing that it's exactly what he wants.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

Why would they?

There's so many animes that deal with the effects of the war on Japan, you'd think they might mention the reasons why.

At least they don't turn the victims of their massacres into sports team mascots.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

program666 posted:

what is this?

TELEFANG 2, a weird digimon ripoff. someone made a patch to bugfix the hong kong bootleg and make it playable (if still incomprehensible) http://s15.zetaboards.com/Tulunk_Village/topic/7307225/1/

what do i name my EASYDOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

easydog is already a pretty good name

• Locked thread