Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, you have to be careful. You sign up for what's supposed to be a temporary caretaker position and you end up driven crazy by a bunch of psychopathic servants of the rich and powerful.

Ok, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

So World War 3 is starting and a dog will be the new Speaker of the House?

Also living in the south is worth it for our fast food chicken options. Chicken Express is just down the street yo. Or if you don't like that, we got Zaxby's and Slim Chickens.

Edit: But the racism is bad... also the poor schooling... and the lovely wages... but we have chicken.

Zaxby's is not a competent chicken option in the south. What the gently caress is wrong with you?!?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

BonoMan posted:

Zaxby's is not a competent chicken option in the south. What the gently caress is wrong with you?!?

I have never had a good experience at Zaxby's - every time I eat there I go "Why the gently caress did I not go to Chik-fil-A or Bojangles?"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

I like their dipping sauce :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

they should be called the raucous caucus

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Congratulations to Bob McCulloch, the District Attorney who deliberately sabotaged the Darren Wilson grand jury, on being awarded Prosecutor of the Year by the Missouri Bar Association.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why are we saying "landed"? Is it like that plot from Never Say Never Again?

Well they didn't detonate, and judging by the pictures it was more "hit the dirt and skid to a stop as you burrow a trench in the soil bleeding speed" than "hit the dirt and shatter to pieces". So I guess "landed" kind of works.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You have to get to 218 and there are 248 house republicans, if all of the freedom caucus votes against a candidate (either for one person or for several persons) they're cooked.

There are 188 Democrats out of 435 voting members of the house. 188+30=218. If Boehner puts the vote to the floor that's all you would need to get Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Unless I misunderstood the process.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Does this even matter after the DoJ also cleared the officer of wrongdoing?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There are 188 Democrats out of 435 voting members of the house. 188+30=218. If Boehner puts the vote to the floor that's all you would need to get Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Unless I misunderstood the process.

Oh, you meant for Pelosi. There's literally no way 30 Republicans are going to be be willing to give up their careers.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Best fried chicken you will get in the north. In the south it is to fried chicken what Chipolte is to Mexican food. But for most of the country it is the best you will find
Hey I'm from California and I love Mexican food and Chipotle. I live in Rhode Island now and there is no good Mexican food to be had anywhere but Chipotle is still just as good so I'll take what I can get.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, you meant for Pelosi. There's literally no way 30 Republicans are going to be be willing to give up their careers.

Considering John Boehner we have 1 down 29 to go

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering John Boehner we have 1 down 29 to go

I doubt Boehner would vote for Nancy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Theoretically they could change parties.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I doubt Boehner would vote for Nancy.

I was being facetious about no one wanting to give up their career

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Frabba posted:

No lol

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was just looking that up and the trend doesn't tend to go from R to D

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Blue Dogs Part Duex: Dog Bluer.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Frabba posted:

That was because the intent requirement to prosecute him got Screwed (ha ha ha) up a long time ago by the Supreme Court to protect racist police officers. Manslaughter/murder would have been easier to prove than Wilson setting out with the intent to violate Michael Brown's rights. That retard probably doesn't even know what those rights are. Still, the MO bar should not be congratulating an attorney who hosed up the biggest case of his career on purpose, and then used inflammatory rhetoric to incite a riot. If you don't understand why that doesn't deserve a trophy, then well, USPOL I guess.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mitt!!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So how far away are we from Obama holding a press conference about this clusterfuck?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

A few minutes after the last Freedom Caucuser has left the room, enticed by rumors of an all-you-can-eat buffet and happy hour combo at the Tortilla Coast, Speaker Boehner looks at a room full of disheveled, even weeping Republicans.

"I need 30 good Reps. 30 patriots willing to sacrifice their careers for their country." *sniff* "You know what we must do. Pelosi is our only hope."

A couple of Reps rise and approach him. Boehner starts to smile through the tears, when suddenly, one of them removes his mask, to expose the face of Ted Cruz. "You thought you could fool us with your cheap tacos. You were sadly mistaken." Another removes his mask: he is also Ted Cruz. They are all Ted Cruz. They come at him smiling and raising knives, and as he drops to the floor awaiting his doom, he hears a croaking "Stop!". They all freeze in place, their cloaks waving as they attempt to finish the job in vain. On the doorstep to the room there is something that might have once been human. It continues in what sounds more like the last gases emitted from a corpse, "let him keep his place. My heart and best intentions want him to suffer forever."

At that, at the horror of what will become of him, and those forces against which he will forever struggle, never to win, never to be allowed to lose fully, he mercifully loses consciousness.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Frabba posted:

Different charges. The feds can't bring a murder charge, since there's no federal law against just plain murder. Their burden of proof was demonstrating Wilson targeted Brown and killed him because he was black, which was obviously impossible from the get-go.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jagchosis posted:

That was because the intent requirement to prosecute him got Screwed (ha ha ha) up a long time ago by the Supreme Court to protect racist police officers. Manslaughter/murder would have been easier to prove than Wilson setting out with the intent to violate Michael Brown's rights. That retard probably doesn't even know what those rights are. Still, the MO bar should not be congratulating an attorney who hosed up the biggest case of his career on purpose, and then used inflammatory rhetoric to incite a riot. If you don't understand why that doesn't deserve a trophy, then well, USPOL I guess.

Giving that guy an award is pretty much on par with making MLK day "Lee-Jackson Day" like in Virginia. It's intentionally sending a message (in this case it's "gently caress you for tarnishing the image of our infallible justice system with your baseless riots") while having JUUUUST enough plausible deniability so you can claim you aren't.

Also to be fair the BAR didn't give him the award it was the Association of Prosecutors.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 8, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TNR: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/123063/no-republican-can-run-house-representatives

Accurate.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

If we are seriously talking about electing someone not in the House why not just elect Eric Cantor?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Three Olives posted:

If we are seriously talking about electing someone not in the House why not just elect Eric Cantor?

Eric Cantor isn't acceptable to the nutters either. Reminder, they primaried him.

--

Also, I thin one of the other reasons, in addition to his desire to have another crack at the Oval, that Paul Ryan is staying out of this is he doesn't to give up Ways and Means, which remains one of the few ways the Establishment can keep the nutters from completely loving the party over.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hmmm, we need to find someone to take the fall when we don't win 2016, someone with nothing to lose.
Hey, what's that guy who ran for president last time, no no not Bush, the 47 percent guy.
ROMNEY, yes, get him on the phone, lets see if he wants something to do other than wander around Walmart's for the next year.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I've been slightly out of the loop on inter-Republican party politics because I don't care about the screaming inmates of a 1950s insane asylum, so who the hell are the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

mcclay posted:

I've been slightly out of the loop on inter-Republican party politics because I don't care about the screaming inmates of a 1950s insane asylum, so who the hell are the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast?

House Freedom Caucus (group of Tea Partiers) that do their Machiavellian scheming in a lovely Tex Mex restaurant.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Jagchosis posted:

House Freedom Caucus (group of Tea Partiers) that do their Machiavellian scheming in a lovely Tex Mex restaurant.

Lovely.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Serious question, if Boehner gives a poo poo about his party and the country why not pass a clean CR and a clean debt limit increase into 2017, both would easily pass with democratic votes, step down and let the battle royal begin without any chance that it seriously damages the party with a default or government shutdown?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Three Olives posted:

nobody actually likes him

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Serious question, if Boehner gives a poo poo about his party and the country why not pass a clean CR and a clean debt limit increase into 2017, both would easily pass with democratic votes, step down and let the battle royal begin without any chance that it seriously damages the party with a default or government shutdown?

It is a possibility he'd do it but he'd probably want to know who the next leader was and have them quietly on board.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

It is a possibility he'd do it but he'd probably want to know who the next leader was and have them quietly on board.

Or as Brian Beutler puts it:

quote:

What’s more clear now than it was two weeks ago—and it was fairly clear back then—is how crucial it is for Boehner to use his numbered days to clear the deck for the next Speaker, and most importantly to increase the national debt limit in advance of an anticipated lapse in borrowing authority early next month. The consequences of a default on the national debt are too high to hand the debt limit to an untested speaker, or to allow Freedom Caucus members and other conservatives to hijack the issue. Boehner has committed, again, to remaining Speaker until a new one is selected. If Boehner hands responsibility for the debt limit over to this crew, instead of increasing it unconditionally while he has control, it’ll be his most reckless, cowardly, shameful moment.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcclay posted:

We need something akin to the Paul Bomb whenever someone asks this question.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lynn Westmoreland is apparently going to get into the race, lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

evilweasel posted:

he'd probably want to know who the next leader was and have them quietly on board.

Why, he's out. What are the downsides to taking the suicide vest away from the Republicans and letting the house grind to a complete and total halt to keep them from doing something completely idiotic before next November. The prospect of the House shutting down isn't something that I would look forward to but are we really entertaining any ideas at this point that giving them the debt limit and CR bomb is going to do anything good for the country or Republicans for that matter?

Take away the real danger to Republicans and the country, let them fall into complete disarray, see who walks out alive.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Have Obama call up the Pope again and get some poo poo done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Just to chime in again that the DoJ did not clear Wilson of the "charges", as the specific charge they cleared him the standard would be like if they had recording of him on tape prior to the incident saying " I, Darren Wilson, will kill this young man Michael Brown, because he is black and I seek to violate his civil rights, because he's black.". That's why the real brunt of the investigation was against the police department because such things are easier to assess in organizations than individuals because who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

• Locked thread