Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Did you try the hold down windows button thing that lowers the screen for one hand? I'm curious how well that works in real world usage. The keyboard is also supposed to be able to shift to one side for better thumb use.

Yes, only problem is that hamburger menus, etc are still all the way on the left side, and the width of the screen doesn't shrink along with the height . So if you can't reach the left side of the phone anyway, it doesn't help too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I played with the 950XL. No hardware buttons! I also noticed, it's a dual SIM.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
So for those of you who've fiddled with these things, has anyone messed with the camera? How long between the actual press and the photo being captured?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tanith posted:

So for those of you who've fiddled with these things, has anyone messed with the camera? How long between the actual press and the photo being captured?

It seemed to be pretty quick. Much, much faster than my 1020. Both in starting the camera app, taking a pic, and then being ready to take another. It was tethered down to the table so I couldn't do any real tests of course. This is something I wanted to see as I love my 1020's camera but it's so very slow.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Went to the Microsoft store today to see if they had a Surface Book on display which they didn't but said to come back around the 28th. I did get to handle the 950XL thinking it was the smaller 950 at first which surprised me. I guess using my 640XL this whole time must have broken my hands made me feel more used to using large phones. The 950XL felt really nice in my hand and is actually smaller than my 640XL which probably helps. The build quality is nice (much nicer than my 640XL) and really felt fast. Another cool thing I found out is that Continuum also works through Miracast so, along with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, you have a "desktop" on a big screen without any wires. Overall, I think I might opt for the 950XL instead of the 950 if I were to buy a new phone now. In fact, I might actually get it on launch despite only getting my 640XL a few months ago. Actually, the 640XL is starting to lose it's charm what with my wireless charging hack being somewhat finicky and parts of the screen are developing splotches of a discolored yellow hue similar to what my 920 was experiencing. Flipping the 640XL for cheap and getting the 950 XL might be in order.

Actually, I really wanted to wait and see if the rumors of an Intel-powered Surface phone do pan out. With the Windows 10 desktop technical preview mysteriously getting a phone dialer app, there may be some truth to that rumor but who knows when it'll come out. I doubt we'll hear anything until after the holiday season since Microsoft wouldn't want to undercut sales of the 950 with news of a better phone in the future.

I also checked out the Surface Pro 4 which felt a lot better as a tablet than the Surface Pro 3. The SP3 felt a little too heavy and cumbersome to use as a tablet which is partly why I opted to get the Surface 3 instead. Even though the weight and dimensions didn't really change that significantly, the slightly lower weight and reduction in thickness made a world of difference. If I had to choose between the SP4 and my Surface 3, taking price out as a factor, I would have a hard time choosing.

Also tried out the Band 2 which was neat but I wasn't too enthusiastic about it. The orientation of the screen and UI was really awkward to use with the screen on the top of my wrist. I think it would work better on the bottom of my wrist but I didn't think to try it that way while I was there. Even though the screen is Gorilla Glass 3, I would still be worried about wearing it in that position. Also, the strap didn't fit my wrist too well. The screen unit was wider than my wrist so the straps didn't hug the side of my wrists. The sales person told me that there would be other strap sizes but I'm not sure if that would help me. On the other hand, I'm not all that interested in smart watches fitness bands.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Gorilla Glass 3 is some serious poo poo. I have a Pebble Time Steel and the other day I was standing at the door jamb at work talking to a coworker. Raised my hand to show him something and clocked the gently caress out of my watch face on the little metal lock plate... enough to take paint off of it and onto my Pebble screen. I mean it was a loud enough hit for my coworker to look at me with an "oh poo poo" look. Rubbed the paint off and not a single tiny scratch.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Edward IV posted:

I also checked out the Surface Pro 4 which felt a lot better as a tablet than the Surface Pro 3. The SP3 felt a little too heavy and cumbersome to use as a tablet which is partly why I opted to get the Surface 3 instead. Even though the weight and dimensions didn't really change that significantly, the slightly lower weight and reduction in thickness made a world of difference. If I had to choose between the SP4 and my Surface 3, taking price out as a factor, I would have a hard time choosing.

What about heat/fan noise on them?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I played with one for a fairly long time and no fan kicked on. But then they didn't have Chrome installed and I have faith in Chrome.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Tanith posted:

http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-950-xl-camera-closer-look

quote:

Editor's Note: I had a chance to talk to Juha about the new cameras and even saw some of the latest builds. Interestingly, the "processing" delays seem all but gone in the latest versions of the Camera app. This is in contrast to some of the demos on the floor, which had older builds on them still. At least from what I saw, when this phone and the final release of the Camera app come out, the experience should be much better than it is now in the Insider preview. What I saw was very inspiring and gave me confidence that these will be great cameras.

Also, it is worth mentioning that the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL cameras are exactly the same, despite outward appearances.

Regarding Panorama and slow-motion video recording, Windows Phone users will have a little while to wait, which is the bad news. Rewriting all those algorithms and software for Windows 10 is quite the undertaking, but the Lumia camera team still have big plans. -Rubino

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My mom was complaining that after talking on her Lumia 521 for about ten minutes, it get really hot and her call drops. If she calls back right away, it drops again after a few seconds. Just started happening. Has anyone experienced something like that?

I'd be interested in getting her a new phone, but she's already complained that the 521 is too big. :/

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

nzspambot posted:

What about heat/fan noise on them?

I didn't notice the fan but then again I didn't really put it through its paces.

Also, something I found out about the new pen is that the battery is in fact not removable. Even if they have a one year battery life, that doesn't sound desirable especially since they're not rechargeable either. So I guess when they run out of power, you have to buy a new one? I would hope they would at least have a trade-in program so you can get a fully charged (and probably refurbished) pen for a small fee at most.

I also realized that I didn't check to see it the Surface Pen would work on the 950XL. Not that that is a major feature for me as I'm already more or less decided on getting the 950XL.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

OldPueblo posted:

Did you try the hold down windows button thing that lowers the screen for one hand? I'm curious how well that works in real world usage. The keyboard is also supposed to be able to shift to one side for better thumb use.

I hate that I have to do this on the iPhone because it'll never have a back button.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uthor posted:

My mom was complaining that after talking on her Lumia 521 for about ten minutes, it get really hot and her call drops. If she calls back right away, it drops again after a few seconds. Just started happening. Has anyone experienced something like that?

I'd be interested in getting her a new phone, but she's already complained that the 521 is too big. :/

I had similar symptoms. Resetting the phone did nothing. I ended up tossing it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

I had similar symptoms. Resetting the phone did nothing. I ended up tossing it.

I wonder if the battery is starting to go.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sounds dumb but make sure you aren't accidentally opening the camera while talking. It'll get very warm and it's hard to tell the camera is on because it doesn't actually display.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uthor posted:

I wonder if the battery is starting to go.

How old is the phone?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Your only alternatives if you want a WP for her are the 430/435 or the 532 both at 4". They're an upgrade for that 521 as both have 1gb ram but the 532 has a Quad core snapdragon 200 vs the dual core snapdragon 200 of the 430/435. I'm not counting other differences like the slightly better camera on the 532.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

How old is the phone?

A year or so.

Guillermus posted:

Your only alternatives if you want a WP for her are the 430/435 or the 532 both at 4". They're an upgrade for that 521 as both have 1gb ram but the 532 has a Quad core snapdragon 200 vs the dual core snapdragon 200 of the 430/435. I'm not counting other differences like the slightly better camera on the 532.

All she does is make voice calls. Sometimes look at her email. Been trying to get her to text, but she'll usually just get one of my texts, then call me. :/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

A year or so.

All she does is make voice calls. Sometimes look at her email. Been trying to get her to text, but she'll usually just get one of my texts, then call me. :/

Got my mom a 635 on January and finally made her use WhatsApp (she's 63) so ram doesn't mean much for her but I wish the 532 was available when I got her phone because after messing with it on the shop when I was buying my 640XL, it felt more snappy with its 1gb ram despite having a snapdragon 200 vs the 400 that uses the 635 with its 512mb ram.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

OldPueblo posted:

Ohhhhh, is that what that's doing?! Thanks!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So here's an issue I've never experienced. My 640XL is starting to get a yellowish smudge in the screen at the top. So far not found anything online even remotely helpful, but its damned annoying and hasn't been fixed by changing any settings.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Alternative pants posted:

So here's an issue I've never experienced. My 640XL is starting to get a yellowish smudge in the screen at the top. So far not found anything online even remotely helpful, but its damned annoying and hasn't been fixed by changing any settings.

It's a problem with the LCD screen. I would get the 640 replaced before it becomes worse.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

It's a problem with the LCD screen. I would get the 640 replaced before it becomes worse.

On that note, any word if the 950 is going to be eligible for at&t's Next program out whatever they're calling it?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

EDIT: Double post. Internet connection crapped while this was posting and I thought the post failed to go though.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 9, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mine is doing that too in the upper right corner. I guess I should get it replaced but I have the International model that I bought from Expansys. It looks like I have 6 months of warranty coverage from the date of purchase so I should get on the ball since I bought it in June.

Another option is to buy a replacement screen and replace it myself. The replacement screen goes for about $46 on etradesupply.com though shipping is around $20 since its coming from Hong Kong.
http://etradesupply.com/microsoft-lumia-640-xl-lte-dual-sim-lcd-and-digitizer-assembly-black.html

I'll probably go through Expansys first.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

On that note, any word if the 950 is going to be eligible for at&t's Next program out whatever they're calling it?

I'd assume so, I think every phone AT&T offers is.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

I'd assume so, I think every phone AT&T offers is.

Guess I better hope this doesn't crap out until November then.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

I had what I believe to be a similar issue with my 930. This isn't my thread but it's close enough for you to see if it's the same thing. Luckily I still had one month left on my expansys warranty, and luckily mine ended well with them just shipping me a new phone replacement because the repair was taking too long. Look at this poor dude.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/325179-green-circle-screen.html

If it is the same issue, it slowly spread over the course of a month to basically engulf the entire screen. Then it was only useable indoors. I believe it has something to do with heat since that's where the phone gets the hottest when it warms up. I opened a paint file to track the spread every once in awhile for kicks. I just drew a line across the edge of it.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 10, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, looks like the blue subpixels are burning out (red and green combining to yellow), and they are, afaik, the ones known to be the hard case in OLED. Likely not helped by hot conditions :(

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Went to the Microsoft store earlier today. Got a Xbox one TV tuner, preordered a 950 XL, bought rock band 4 and bought a 640. Because dam it, I wanted at threat one phone branded by Microsoft.

The 640 is pretty sweet for a $70 phone. The camera is okay for what it is, and the screen is awesome for the price. Not a big fan of the hard edges, which make holding it harder than it needs to be, but it's not like I'm using this as my main phone or anything.

The 940 XL was also good. Still felt weird in the hand but wow, that screen. OLED look amazing. Can't wait to debug apps against continuum too whenever it comes out next month.

Also, I'm kinda getting into using Cortana.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 11, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It sounds like only the unlocked variants will be dual-SIM, which is pretty lame. Haven't confirmed that yet, keep an eye when AT&T gives more info tho.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Went to the Microsoft store earlier today. Got a Xbox one TV tuner, preordered a 950 XL, bought rock band 4 and bought a 640. Because dam it, I wanted at threat one phone branded by Microsoft.

The 640 is pretty sweet for a $70 phone. The camera is okay for what it is, and the screen is awesome for the price. Not a big fan of the hard edges, which make holding it harder than it needs to be, but it's not like I'm using this as my main phone or anything.

The 940 XL was also good. Still felt weird in the hand but wow, that screen. OLED look amazing. Can't wait to debug apps against continuum too whenever it comes out next month.

Also, I'm kinda getting into using Cortana.

This looks awesome. Is it really that easy now to plug apps into Cortana?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Does the Microsoft store handle carrier plans like at&t next? If I want a 950XL and don't want to spend all that cash at once can I have Microsoft put it on my next plan or do I have to get the 950?

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah the 640 is surprisingly good, especially for that price. Been using it for a few weeks and will until the 950XL and I don't really have any complaints other than size.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

wookieepelt posted:

Does the Microsoft store handle carrier plans like at&t next? If I want a 950XL and don't want to spend all that cash at once can I have Microsoft put it on my next plan or do I have to get the 950?

It's my understanding that they can do 2 year contracts, but they can't do things like NEXT. Things may have changed though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

It's my understanding that they can do 2 year contracts, but they can't do things like NEXT. Things may have changed though.

I am on a NEXT plan on AT&T that I was put on when I bought my 1520 at the MS store.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Groove Music has managed to get a bunch of tracks out of order in an album, and there doesn't seem to be any way of re-sorting them. I'd delete and add them again, but they're all on OneDrive. Any ideas?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Groove Music has managed to get a bunch of tracks out of order in an album, and there doesn't seem to be any way of re-sorting them. I'd delete and add them again, but they're all on OneDrive. Any ideas?

While we're on this, has anyone been able to import iTunes playlists? I'm on 10 Build 10565 and Groove 3.6.132.0.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The Cisco Anyconnect VPN client was published to the Windows store as a Universal app. I never thought I'd see the day. You install it, and hten it shows up in VPN options in the networking panel.

Not all apps seem to work properly with it, unfortunately. "The SSH Client" doesn't work with it, but Edge does. Not sure how that was pulled off, but, still - that's something !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Find the physical files and check/change the metadata for the track listings?