Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Pivo posted:

why do you all have Dark Sky

because it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can get the same sort of detailed info by Googling 'weather in [your city]' though, as far as precipitation over time goes. And the radar maps are all freely available products from aviation weather product providers, wherever it is you are, it's NAVCAN here but you can get historical and projected radar data on the Weather Network's site... But if you're in Canada at least NAVCAN will give you GFAs and such.

I really like Forecast. It's a free application you can install right from the browser, and it also shows precipitation over time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sup IE buddy :hfive:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pivo posted:

You can get the same sort of detailed info by Googling 'weather in [your city]' though, as far as precipitation over time goes. And the radar maps are all freely available products from aviation weather product providers, wherever it is you are, it's NAVCAN here but you can get historical and projected radar data on the Weather Network's site... But if you're in Canada at least NAVCAN will give you GFAs and such.

I really like Forecast. It's a free application you can install right from the browser, and it also shows precipitation over time.

I don't care.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Whats wrong with Dark Sky?

It's a $4 weather teller.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

I don't care.

Carry on, then.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I still don't understand what "hey, you know that app you already bought and paid for possibly years ago? You should stop using it and switch to a website" is supposed to accomplish.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pivo posted:

I think Dark Sky has my favorite aesthetics of any weather app, and I've owned it for years (before they changed it). I guess your issue is cost? At the time I paid for it it was well worth it, but now I would question someone paying for it with all the weather apps now. Still I probably would give the way I just like the way it looks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

carry on then posted:

I still don't understand what "hey, you know that app you already bought and paid for possibly years ago? You should stop using it and switch to a website" is supposed to accomplish.

People not using their computing device in a way I prefer? Well I better speak up about it on the internet!

Is basically what it comes down to.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I wish I still had this actually. The 3GS was fun to screw with.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The screen lockups are starting to really loving annoy me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pivo posted:

why do you all have Dark Sky

Because the Watch app for it is pretty spiffy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

vodafone is the worst carrier because it take up your whole goddamn status bar.
Number 1 thing to get rid of in a jailbreak, although I'm surprised Apple hasn't allowed us to do it in the stock OS by now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pivo posted:

<i_don't_like_thing_okay.jpg>

I like the "hey it's about to rain" alerts.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

POCKET CHOMP posted:

No Taiko no Tatsujin+ on your first two screens? For shame man, for shame.

(I hope I remember you correctly from the iOS games thread as being pretty much the only goon I've ever seen actually talking about Taiko+ :ohdear:)

I moved it to my Games folder recently to cut down on space and put ti right next to the RPG

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

<i_don't_like_thing_okay.jpg>

hey im not saying "my weather stuff is better" im saying "my weather stuff is free, also ive never heard of your weather stuff before"

it looks like a neat application though

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
twitter is free too but a bunch of idiots here keep buying a lame rear end app to tweet

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

hey im not saying "my weather stuff is better" im saying "my weather stuff is free, also ive never heard of your weather stuff before"

it looks like a neat application though
Hey Pivo Forecast.io is made by the exact same people as Dark Sky.

Try scrolling down on Forecast some time:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Try scrolling down on Forecast some time:

You pointed out the Dark Sky -> Forecast.io connection before I could so I'm just gonna take this opportunity to :aaaaa: for a moment because I now just realized that your u/n is Star War Sex Parrot and not Star Wars Sex Parrot.

Oh and I bought Dark Sky instead of using Forecast.io because I like the heads up it gives about incoming rain.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Bracing for rage

:siren:REDDIT USER SPOTTED:siren:

...you should really check out Narwhal, it's got a lolmeme name and icon but the UI is the best of any Reddit client out there IMHO

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 9, 2015

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

carry on then posted:

Almost like that's not why we're posting them.

There still doesn't seem to be an agreed upon reason for posting them, but either way my post was just a little joke. I was curious as to why there had been so many new posts in this thread and then I was greeted by a bunch of pictures of homescreens which amused me. Mine looks exactly like everyone else's so I'll spare posting it.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Here's mine.

Yes, I like some degree of color coding. And real goons keep Awful in the dock, right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think I got dark sky for free at some point. I just throw the app into my useless poo poo folder anyway since all I care about is it notifying me that it's gonna rain within a few minutes. Not like I ever need to open the app for that b

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Y'all need to get on my level

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you guys have horrible homescreens in comparison is mine it's so weird

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

its no big deal posted:

Here's mine.

Yes, I like some degree of color coding. And real goons keep Awful in the dock, right?

has the feedly app improved yet? i used to use reeder then feedly came out and i tried the app but for some reason it was poo poo so i went back to reeder

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

You have an entire folder dedicated to "Clock" that's full of apps. What the gently caress are you DOING man!? :P

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

that's funny, that image doesn't show when I scroll down in Forecast on my phone.

Anyhow, that's cool. Looks like people like Dark Sky integrating with Watch (which I don't have) and notifications (which I don't care about) but otherwise Forecast does all the same stuff, they're just giving it away for free.

Welp, if anyone's reading, at least you have options.

I was genuinely curious though, I'd never heard of the app and it was on a lot of people's screens.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

You need to update your apps.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pivo posted:

You have an entire folder dedicated to "Clock" that's full of apps. What the gently caress are you DOING man!? :P

are we skipping over his 98 app updates

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

lelandjs posted:

:siren:REDDIT USER SPOTTED:siren:

...you should really check out Narwhal, it's got a lolmeme name and icon but the UI is the best of any Reddit client out there IMHO

I've heard it mentioned before but, is it better than alien blue's classic mode?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
What was the consensus on ad block apps for the new phones?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Falco posted:

What was the consensus on ad block apps for the new phones?

1Blocker

I think

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

serebralassazin posted:

I've heard it mentioned before but, is it better than alien blue's classic mode?

Rhombus is good!

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I wish Dark Sky's "it's about to start raining in x minutes" was accurate for me. But half the time it never rains or if it does not really that close to the time it says.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

CancerStick posted:

I wish Dark Sky's "it's about to start raining in x minutes" was accurate for me. But half the time it never rains or if it does not really that close to the time it says.

Weather reporting actually lies about how likely it is to rain for a simple reason: if they say it'll rain and it doesn't, you're happy. If they say it WON'T rain and it does, you'll be pissed at whoever reported you the weather. So they grossly overestimate.

That's why I use aviation weather and look at projected radar maps instead to see what's going on exactly where I am. Weather apps are good for getting a decent idea, but I'm not sure how accurate the notification stuff can be, knowing the state of the science.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Australians all let us rejoice.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
You people who don't fill your first home screen are blowing my mind, surely the icons at the bottom are 800 X quicker and easier to reach than ones at the top?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
only people with no dicks or baginas put icons in their bottom row

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
gently caress it. Another boring rear end in a top hat reporting in.

This is a weird mutation of a home screen that started on System 2 on a 3G, moved over to Android in 2010, and came back five years later. Some things remain from the very first day of my owning a smartphone (YouTube's location, for instance) but other things adopted as times change. The need for file management on my home screen is an old Android habit; because file browsers there are power tools.

One thing I'm obsessive about is putting my SMS app above phone in the bottom left corner; and my Twitter client on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind