Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alkydere posted:

Out Carson's rear end?

Bring the war home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's worth listening to Carson on Marketplace today. Kai fucks his poo poo up.

edit:

Ryssdal: With respect, sir, you didn't answer the question. What are you not gonna do? It's easy to say trim fat, it's easy to say 3 to 4 percent reduction, but rejecting the premise of the question isn't answering the question.

Ryssdal: I'm gonna try one more time, sir. This is debt that's already obligated. Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Ryssdal: I'm really trying not to be circular here, Dr. Carson, but if you're not gonna raise the debt limit and you're not gonna give specifics on what you're gonna cut, then how are we going to know what you are going to do as president of the United States?

Ryssdal: Yes. You keep saying we're doing things in the government we don't need to do, but when I ask you what you're gonna stop doing, you don't tell me.

Ryssdal: Explain to me a little bit how people are second-class citizens. You've compared the Affordable Care Act to slavery, sir.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 9, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Even neurosurgeons can have brainfarts. In this case, he suffers from brainflatulence.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

McDowell posted:

"You don't have to be a neurosurgeon to know which way the wind blows"

"It's such a nice day I'll perform brain surgery outside. Heh heh heh."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
He's that way due to a steady stream of fibrous foods and huffing Evangelical farts.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Can someone summarize what has gone on in this thread over the last 2,500 posts because hell if I'm gonna read all that.

I already made that mistake once this week reading the entire RSF democrat thread in one sitting.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even neurosurgeons can have brainfarts. In this case, he is that goon who only ate broccoli and cheese sauce

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
What does being a neurosurgeon have to do with anything other than neurosurgery what the gently caress people

It's like the only thing he has going for him is his profession is used in a moronic idiom related to intelligent people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

What does being a neurosurgeon have to do with anything other than neurosurgery what the gently caress people

It's because of the idiom. He'd see similar reaction if he was a rocket scientist.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maybe touching other people's brains with your hands causes their knowledge to be passed to you by osmosis.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
herman cain was a rocket scientist, I think I'm seeing a pattern here. they're the good ones

token black guy GOP 2020 front-runner: rocket surgeon

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

herman cain was a rocket scientist, I think I'm seeing a pattern here. they're the good ones

token black guy GOP 2020 front-runner: rocket surgeon
token female GOP trope: failed leader in important-seeming profession

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

token female GOP trope: failed leader in important-seeming profession

Beats crazy eyes who really really hated gays.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

Can someone summarize what has gone on in this thread over the last 2,500 posts because hell if I'm gonna read all that.

I already made that mistake once this week reading the entire RSF democrat thread in one sitting.
The US blew up a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Afghanistan.

Republicans said stupid poo poo.

Hillary came out against TPP, putting her to the left of Obama and in agreement with Bernie Sanders.

Republicans said more stupid poo poo, including Ben Carson saying this:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/08/ben_carson_tells_cnn_holocaust_could_have_been_different_if_jews_had_guns.html

quote:

And Carson’s views on gun control, laid out in his book A More Perfect Union, bubbled to the surface again on Thursday during an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, where he suggested that the outcome of the Holocaust would have been different if Jews had guns.

Russia's still blowing up poo poo in Syria.

And Boehner agreed to stay as Speaker of the House, because something odd/interesting/hosed up happened.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What if this was Boehner's plan all along to show the Republicans that they couldn't get their poo poo together to actually elect a Speaker so they better be happy with the one they got and stop loving with him.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hollismason posted:

What if this was Boehner's plan all along to show the Republicans that they couldn't get their poo poo together to actually elect a Speaker so they better be happy with the one they got and stop loving with him.

It's like he finally just let the dog catch the car, but it was his dog and his car and now the dog's jaw is busted and wired shut and he has to spoon feed the dog, and the dog thinks it's all hot poo poo now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How does Paul Ryan figure into this is he another car?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
As beautiful as today was, I'm starting to get nervous. Is there any sort of precedent for this kind of thing? What happens now? :ohdear:

We're totally defaulting, aren't we?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Hollismason posted:

How does Paul Ryan figure into this is he another car?

No, he's the second plane.

discoukulele posted:

As beautiful as today was, I'm starting to get nervous. Is there any sort of precedent for this kind of thing? What happens now? :ohdear:

Boehner won't allow a default.
Right now, he's standing in the middle of congress with a primed grenade, and once he lets go of the deadman switch all legislative progress explosively comes to a halt. So if the debt limit comes up before he leaves, we're ok. If not, :boom:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 9, 2015

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

discoukulele posted:

The platinum coin thing being bullshit, I actually don't know whether there is an option. What if Boehner were incapacitated?

*Joementum bat signal*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pretty sure he knew that he'd get run out on a rail for the Debt Ceiling raise that he has to do to prevent bad poo poo from happening and him announcing his retirement is his way of ensuring he leaves on his own terms.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The platinum coin thing being bullshit, I actually don't know whether there is an option.

*Joementum bat signal*
Joementum appears to have vanished, unconfirmed rumors are that it's related to Jeb!'s piss-poor polling and Trump's continued lead in the polls, something about "an impossibility".:v:

Seriously though, Joementum hasn't posted for a while for whatever reason.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fade5 posted:

Joementum appears to have vanished, unconfirmed rumors are that it's related to Jeb!'s piss-poor polling and Trump's continued lead in the polls, something about "an impossibility".:v:

Hillary Clinton picking off DnD posters one by one..

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

fade5 posted:

He's got inside information that the end is coming so he's holed up in his bunker.

Good luck in the post-apocalyptic hellscape that was once America. I'll try to carry something useful on my reanimated corpse.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 9, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BrandorKP posted:

It's worth listening to Carson on Marketplace today. Kai fucks his poo poo up.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy

God drat. Marketplace is the most sincere outlet of milquetoast vaguely-leftist corporatism and that's just brutal.

Did Carson come out against medical patents or something?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

We bombed a hospital?

We bombed a hospital

Gun chat

Gun chat

Gun chat

Whose to blame for the hospital bombing and can we point fingers right now?

We bombed a hospital, let's see what happens now

Russia has launched an expedition in Syria

Democratic candidate bullshit

Oh holy gently caress the GOP just shot itself in the face!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Boon posted:

Not to be confused with Dick Cheney shooting someone in the face. :eng101:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to be confused with Dick Cheney shooting someone in the face. :eng101:

Yeah, in the GOP's case it was an accident.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

discoukulele posted:

Nah, they will never really do that. The Republican party can't survive if it is intentionally sabotaging finance.

It might get hairy, but the debt ceiling will get brought up by Boehner or pushed to the floor somehow. Just enjoy the meltdown.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Pox posted:

Nah, they will never really do that. The Republican party can't survive if it is intentionally sabotaging finance.

It might get hairy, but the debt ceiling will get brought up by Boehner or pushed to the floor somehow. Just enjoy the meltdown.

A GOP led default would guarantee President Sanders authorizes Treasury Secretary Kelton to mint the Coin next time around.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

amanasleep posted:

A GOP led default would guarantee President Sanders authorizes Treasury Secretary Kelton to mint the Coin next time around.

Actually, the first thing President Sanders will need to do is stop blaming republicans for this 30% unemployment and fix his 5 trillion dollar deficit by agreeing to eliminate Social Security.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Boon posted:

This sounds like it's worth reading, how far upthread does the Boehnerchat start

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

zen death robot posted:

I just read the thing where Ben Carson tells a stick up man that he should be shoving the gun in the Popeyes clerks face and holy poo poo

I think Doc Carson would call that 'triage'.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hmmmm...

What is it with Republican legislators and having affairs with each other?

They've got the same fetishes. The deep kinks that non-Conservatives would never understand or condone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

amanasleep posted:

lol like there'd be a next time

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

Nah, the willingness of the omnicide caucus to leak the affair was a shock. Also, who is he going to convince? The moderates like him, and nobody else cares. Man could hold a pistol to his temple and he'd have 30 people calling for him to pull the trigger.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watch Texas try and secede.

Could we seriously see some major fall out in the Republican party over this or not?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

So World War 3 is starting and a dog will be the new Speaker of the House?

Also living in the south is worth it for our fast food chicken options. Chicken Express is just down the street yo. Or if you don't like that, we got Zaxby's and Slim Chickens.

Edit: But the racism is bad... also the poor schooling... and the lovely wages... but we have chicken.

There's a Raising Cane's in one of the easier parts of Boston to get to (relatively speaking).

That place is from Louisiana and it's delicious and gently caress it, I get to live in the People's Republic of Massachussetts.

Checkmate(?)

Not that Boston doesn't have a history of intolerance, grotesque racism during the busing era, and corruption of the worst degree- including in ostensibly liberal public institutions or anything.

Also, my alma mater has the best campus food in the country and one of the chefs happened to be from somewhere in the South. His fried chicken recipe is still probably the best I've had. One of the dining halls had comfort food nights and lunches every few weeks or so and it made winters so much more bearable.

And that was in the Deep South of the Deep North, as they say (not really, but within close driving distance).

zoux posted:

They would outpoll Jeb in the state caucus.

:perfect:

Bunleigh posted:

Hey I'm from California and I love Mexican food and Chipotle. I live in Rhode Island now and there is no good Mexican food to be had anywhere but Chipotle is still just as good so I'll take what I can get.

Come to Boston/Cambridge. Anna's, Boca Grande, and Felipe's are all equally as good at their worst.

...also, Dorado in Brookline is totally worth the trip for their cemitas and Western Mexico-style tacos.

Hell, even Qdoba got interesting when they decided to go all in on cheese sauces, and the one in Cambridge is on par with Chipotle quality-wise. Of course, there are also now Chipotles basically everywhere so.... Some reps offloaded a big handful of Homo estas? 'bogo free' meal coupons on my gf and I during the pride parade and we coasted on those for a few weeks. :smug:

What I'm saying is that Boston is pretty solid for Southern food if one must live in a civilized part of the country.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Carson is doing a interview with a NYC radio station today. WNYC.

NY/east coast goons shold try calling in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This speakership situation is wild. Is Boehner locked in until the next election? If they don't have the votes for a new speaker the situation's not going to change any time soon, and any 'moderate'/establishment candidate would actually be in a worse position than him since as a dead man walking he's at least free to make unpopular moves. He's already completely symbolically surrendered even if they won't let him leave.

This debacle must've cost him what little authority and control he had left. Even moderates sympathetic to him must know he can't make promises or command loyalty in his current state, if he brings a debt ceiling increase or a clean CR to a vote he's not even a target worth venting at - it'll be whatever 30 or so Republicans stick their necks out to get must-pass legislation done and bear the brunt of Conservative scorn. Any speaker elected with help from the Democrats would have to make concessions to them and be seen as a traitor and weakling by the base.

Even if they make Boehner bring up votes to keep the government and world economy solvent, will there be the votes? If everyone but the hardliners went in for them that might provide more cover, but if it's just a bare minority then they're painting targets on their backs.

• Locked thread