Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently there's another really creepy scene if you do the thing where you never have Snake take a shower and he gets all stinky. Quiet takes him into her cell and they shower together while everyone watches and comments.

The only cutscene I got for not showering was Ddog jumping on me and licking the dirt and blood off my face while Ocelot looked on with envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

I've never showered (role playing) and that's not happened yet. I think (thankfully) rain and crawling around in water cleans you up as you go.
Rain does, but I specifically tried crawling in water once and it didn't seem to do anything. At least not for bloodstains but maybe stinkiness is a different stat.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
PYF little things in games: maybe stinkiness is a different stat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I appreciate the Tity Lady

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Action Tortoise posted:

The only cutscene I got for not showering was Ddog jumping on me and licking the dirt and blood off my face while Ocelot looked on with envy.

Envy of Ddog or the Boss?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Action Tortoise posted:

I haven't gotten this OR a shower with quiet :( I just got Ocelot throwing a bucket of water on me saying I'm gross, and ever since then I showered every time I went to the mother base. Lame.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

It's a shame some things didn't make it from Peace Walker's R and D but Big Boss huffing Doritos and Mountain Dew and never showering might be a bit too close to home for some.

I love the new context PP adds to a bunch of the other games. In particular (late mgs2/5 spoilers and an assumption of my own) Hal's assumption that his dad's suicide was due to Hal banging his step mother. Huey was actually just a murderous coward and the guilt finally caught up with him.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Jia posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I appreciate the Tity Lady

Nice avatar/post combo there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

There's a scene where Venom Snake and Quiet frolic in the rain which is hilariously awkward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKT75RHEAI

The model swap they mentioned is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

is there a DDog version of this? I've seen the gif where it looks like he's being attacked by a horrible whirling mound of doglimbs and he's stamping at it to make it go away

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ImpAtom posted:

The model swap they mentioned is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

This is canon as far as I'm concerned.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It's clear to me that a lot of you aren't playing Undertale, because that has enough little things to enjoy that it makes the amazing MGS5 look like Pitfall for the Atari. It's truly a game to be experienced so I'm not going to post too many of the numerous moments that make me smile, shake my head and say "This game. This loving game," but it belongs in this thread dammit. It a very self-aware game and almost everything is rewarded or noticed in some way. In may aspects it out Earthbounds Earthbound. One of the big points is that it's a turn-based RPG that you can beat without killing any enemy. You can always talk to your opponent or spare them, but that's not what I'm going to talk about.

For example, there's a puzzle near the beginning where you need to make a bridge on the water with limited resources. There's a sign in the middle of the water, well out of the way of your objective, but there's no way to read the sign without using up your resources. So, of course, I built the bridge to read the sign.

It read: Congratulations! You failed the puzzle!

There was a switch to reset the resources, by the way. It pokes fun at the player but isn't overly antagonistic about it.

Here's a trailer in case you've never heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hojv0m3TqA

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm playing Undertale and MGSV at the same time, and gaming in general seems really good right now. Both spectrums of polished AAA and nutso indie are the best they've ever been, and both are games made with passion, attention to detail, and faith in the player's intelligence.

Undertale is extremely fantastic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

For example, there's a puzzle near the beginning where you need to make a bridge on the water with limited resources. There's a sign in the middle of the water, well out of the way of your objective, but there's no way to read the sign without using up your resources. So, of course, I built the bridge to read the sign.

It read: Congratulations! You failed the puzzle!

On the note of sign gangs, I loved how there was a sign that read something really silly, and reading it a second time would have it say "Yes, you read that right."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As somebody who is pretty vocal in their dislike of the inclusion of obnoxious Kickstarter backers in video games as a plege reward, Undertale has by far my favorite implementation of that: a furry paid $1000 to have his fat dragon fursona put in the game as an enemy, so Toby did just that...only said enemy can only be encountered at 8PM on October 10th in real time, so unless you go out of your way to mess with your system clock 99.9% of players will never encounter him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whr1WPZjwpY&t=40s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sleeveless posted:

As somebody who is pretty vocal in their dislike of the inclusion of obnoxious Kickstarter backers in video games as a plege reward, Undertale has by far my favorite implementation of that: a furry paid $1000 to have his fat dragon fursona put in the game as an enemy, so Toby did just that...only said enemy can only be encountered at 8PM on October 10th in real time, so unless you go out of your way to mess with your system clock 99.9% of players will never encounter him.

So that's what people were flipping their poo poo over? Something most people probably will literally never see?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sleeveless posted:

The thread mentioned that the backer specifically asked to be placed out of the way as well, so I'm not really sure what people are freaking out about.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

On the note of sign gangs, I loved how there was a sign that read something really silly, and reading it a second time would have it say "Yes, you read that right."

"Warning: Dog Marriage"

Also it only said "Yes, you read that right." the second time. If you read it any time after that it says "Warning: Dog Marriage" again

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'm playing Undertale and MGSV at the same time, and gaming in general seems really good right now.

Whoa, now let's tone it back a bit. Two good games came out that people were excited about, don't go and make sweeping statements about gaming being Actually Good because of that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, now let's tone it back a bit. Two good games came out that people were excited about, don't go and make sweeping statements about gaming being Actually Good because of that.

Are you not equally excited for the next Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Halo and Uncharted all slated to come out in the next few months?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Another Undertale thing:

Early on, you encounter an enemy named Snowdrake whose gimmick is he's a lovely teenage comedian. The solution is to laugh at his jokes, and he'll say, "See? Laughs! Dad was wrong!" All of this is completely ordinary for the game, and most players won't think twice.

However, if you revisit this area after all the enemies have been pacified, one of the other teens mentions them getting boxed lunches from their parents - except they have to share theirs with Snowy. Still, nothing a player would think twice about, given all the other side gags in the game.

Then, right before the last dungeon and after a very serious cutscene, you run into his dad. Turns out his wife died, and he wasn't able to care for Snowy properly by himself, so Snowy ran away clear to the other side of the caves.

But that's not the conclusion. If you get to the endgame in a pacifist run, you find Snowdrake's mom. His dead mom. Who is now part of an amorphous blob of reanimated corpses of fallen monsters that one of the game's main characters created on accident, thus rendering that character paralyzed by guilt and pushing her to the brink of suicide. This is a very major plot point that ties directly into the origins and motivations of the game's main antagonist.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So that's what people were flipping their poo poo over? Something most people probably will literally never see?
This part:

quote:

a furry paid $1000 to have his fat dragon fursona put in the game as an enemy
That is literally it.
The internet is full of morons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Are you not equally excited for the next Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Halo and Uncharted all slated to come out in the next few months?

Uncharted, sure. Otherwise nothing else personally interests me. And even then this is just the hump of developers getting acclimated to their new hardware. Finally, we have to no longer pretend to be excited for Knack.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What about the star wars battlefield DLC?

For actual contributions: I absolutely love that in Phantom Pain when you play as one of your generic soldiers, you can still do the hilariously misnamed "Knock". Only instead of your mechanical arm sparking and making weird noises, your character cracks their knuckles and wrist in an amazingly gross way.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm glad that MGS 5 includes a knock to begin with. If a stealth game isn't balanced in a way that includes an infinitely usable close-range noisemaker then it's not a very good game imo. I still have Sam Fischer whistling in my head to this day.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Screaming Idiot posted:

Kojima's a genius, but not for the reason his fans usually give. His genius lies in getting away with whatever the gently caress he wanted for as long as he did, and for that I salute him, wacko misogyny aside.

I feel like his career path has been the real-life equivalent of that "whatever, gently caress you" episode of South Park.

"Tactical Espionage Action! ...featuring a guy who controls bees and psychics and vampires and an electric man or whatever, gently caress you."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

I'm glad that MGS 5 includes a knock to begin with. If a stealth game isn't balanced in a way that includes an infinitely usable close-range noisemaker then it's not a very good game imo. I still have Sam Fischer whistling in my head to this day.

iirc one of the Splinter Cell games had coop and the enemy could hear your talking to eachother over the mic, I believe there was a tip (maybe it was online) that was specifically "Don't yell at your teammate, the enemy can hear!"

More stealth games should let you distract the enemy by saying "penis penis penis penis" in your mic

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Was it ever confirmed that the Witch in L4D could hear voice comm if people were close enough? I know it was a rumour for a really long time but I don't remember it ever being conclusively proven/debunked.

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like his career path has been the real-life equivalent of that "whatever, gently caress you" episode of South Park.

"Tactical Espionage Action! ...featuring a guy who controls bees and psychics and vampires and an electric man or whatever, gently caress you."

And it gave us really good games about post-modernism and emotionally resonant camp. The lesson to be learned is to let videogame auteurs do whatever the hell they want.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

They explain everything eventually too. Except the electric man. How he became an electric man is forever cemented in gently caress you territory.

Lady Naga posted:

I also like that it's actually really close ranged, too. Like they have to be within 20 feet or so to hear it as far as I can tell. Any further and you'll have to make louder noises or throw magazines out to distract single guards.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

"Tactical Espionage Action! ...featuring a guy who controls bees"

Bees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWW9luMD4M

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beads!

I wish the guy behind Dr. Bees would make more videos. :(

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

BEADS?

I've found the quickest way to raise morale on Motherbase is playing music out loud on the iDroid so dudes salute without me having to stop and hug them. Thing is, some people just don't like whatever song you're playing. One dude didn't cheer up listening to Ultravox so I threw him in the sea.

Game over, but well worth it.

edit: I bought both Batman and MGSV because of the thread. I feel bad for Batman though because it hasn't really had a look in thanks to MGS. Although the sheer amount of Batmobile sections kinda dampen the great parts somewhat... Tell you though, Batman has some of THE best jump scares in a game and they've all been well earned too. Best being When you play as Gordon 1st person and check up on the Joker infected, turn around and BATMAN IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU! He just stealthed right in and snuck up right behind me just like Batman would! Had a little bit more sympathy for the goons after that one.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Oct 9, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nuebot posted:

They explain everything eventually too. Except the electric man. How he became an electric man is forever cemented in gently caress you territory.
Same as how everything got its special abilities pre-mgsv parasites: namomachines.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Same as how everything got its special abilities pre-mgsv parasites: namomachines.

I guess, it's just the one thing that's not confirmed basically. It's just mentioned off handedly that the russians did science and now he's electric and they did it harder and now he's fire.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sleeveless posted:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nuebot posted:

I guess, it's just the one thing that's not confirmed basically. It's just mentioned off handedly that the russians did science and now he's electric and they did it harder and now he's fire.

Yeah, Volgin's powers are one of the few that's never really explained. In Phantom Pain he's both alive and on fire because he's JUST THAT loving ANGRY; Mantis being at his side helps, but Mantis was just reacting to Volgin's insane levels of rage that caused him to reanimate and ignite in the first place. While they never mention it, the Man on Fire's origins also serve to explain The Fury from MGS3.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly, after listening to more than a few of MGS' superpower explanations over the years, as a whole the series is better off without them. One of the few times where they were used well was with Fortune, cause it was part of the plot and not just Kojima's design notes read aloud.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, Volgin's powers are one of the few that's never really explained. In Phantom Pain he's both alive and on fire because he's JUST THAT loving ANGRY; Mantis being at his side helps, but Mantis was just reacting to Volgin's insane levels of rage that caused him to reanimate and ignite in the first place. While they never mention it, the Man on Fire's origins also serve to explain The Fury from MGS3.

Isn't fury explained by parasites? I thought his was one of the ones Code Talker was talking about. :shrug:

It is both fat and fedora-wearing. I don't think there's anything I can even say to make fun of it, it's naturally evolved mockery camouflage.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

:whitewater:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nuebot posted:

Isn't fury explained by parasites? I thought his was one of the ones Code Talker was talking about. :shrug:

Oh, partly, yes, you're right. I just looked. The bodies of The Pain, The End and The Fury were procured, and the parasites extracted from them. The Fury's fed off his anger, letting him burst into flames at the end of his fight, and that parasite was apparently moved to the comatose body of the very angry and very vengeful Volgin (this part isn't actually stated directly in the game), which turned him into the Man on Fire. Code Talker himself took The End's parasite, and I'd assume The Pain's was too stupid for anybody to use.

The Fury is mostly just an angry cosmonaut with a flamethrower, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Oh, partly, yes, you're right. I just looked. The bodies of The Pain, The End and The Fury were procured, and the parasites extracted from them. The Fury's fed off his anger, letting him burst into flames at the end of his fight, and that parasite was apparently moved to the comatose body of the very angry and very vengeful Volgin (this part isn't actually stated directly in the game), which turned him into the Man on Fire. Code Talker himself took The End's parasite, and I'd assume The Pain's was too stupid for anybody to use.

The Fury is mostly just an angry cosmonaut with a flamethrower, though.

Well that's half an explanation then. Angry cosmonaut is still my favorite Metal Gear Solid boss. He didn't have much personality but I'll forever read his helmet as saying BEN.

To actually contribute: In Gundam Breaker 2 they actually took the effort to make the in-game models as much like the actual model kits as they could. You see the premise of the whole game, series really, is that you're basically just controlling giant toys. The games only feature mobile suits they have model kits of, and generally they put a fair amount of detail in keeping it accurate.