Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bad Moon posted:

Anybody else weirded out by Amell using his normal tenor while talking instead of the usual deeper Grim Oliver tone? Like, you get used to one thing and it's weird hearing him using that tone when he's in the Arrow Cave. The lighter tone starts with Amell's voice.

I noticed that too. He sounds like one of the Power of Friendship side characters while Diggle and Thea have taken over as brooding mainliners.

My favorite part of the episode would have to be when Dahrk (Dark? Darkh? Dharkh?) revealed his name Ollie's reaction was "done talking FIRE ARROWS!" No "Dahrk? Ras's outcast frenemy and the only person he feared? I will stop you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Pan Dulce posted:

They reneged on that later, stating they didn't count on the reaction fans would give to Felicity.

I hate poo poo like this. "Our focus groups said!" It always ends up like the Simpsons Poochie episode. There are some places where fans want a thing (like better writing, better plots and characterizations) and you give it to them, and there are some places (like inter-character romances and such) that you say "No, just sit back and wait for it".

Felicity started off a very reluctant part of the team, and absolutely did not like Oliver or his mission from the get-go, she was only involved because of his father. Then they recharacterized her mid-season, because apparently the clear set-up for the much more compatible duo of Ray and Felicity wasn't enough for some vocal set of fans.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Which is weird because Laurel wears a gimp suit.

That was last season, this season's suit looks much better so far.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I noticed that too. He sounds like one of the Power of Friendship side characters while Diggle and Thea have taken over as brooding mainliners.

My favorite part of the episode would have to be when Dahrk (Dark? Darkh? Dharkh?) revealed his name Ollie's reaction was "done talking FIRE ARROWS!" No "Dahrk? Ras's outcast frenemy and the only person he feared? I will stop you!"

That's probably why he started firing arrows. He knew poo poo was bad enough to warrant an immediate takedown.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scyantific posted:

That's probably why he started firing arrows. He knew poo poo was bad enough to warrant an immediate takedown.

Exactly. I'm really happy I didn't have to yell "shoot him you idiot" at my TV.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Caper posted:

The fight with China White in S1 was awesome.

Agreed 100%. And hopefully with the new focus on mysticism and things like that we can maybe get an explanation as to how Ollie was actually resurrected...

Calling that Etrigan shows up.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Ollie and Laurel's relationship is more one between equals, while Ollie and Felicity still feels very much like a superior/subordinate relationship.
Actually I noticed right away how he was waiting for Felicity to give her input before he responded to their friends' request for help.

Bad Moon posted:

Anybody else weirded out by Amell using his normal tenor while talking instead of the usual deeper Grim Oliver tone? Like, you get used to one thing and it's weird hearing him using that tone when he's in the Arrow Cave. The lighter tone starts with Amell's voice.
The Amell voice sounded heroic and inspirational when he gave the speech to the citizens of Star city. Unfortunately the deep artificial voice they heard sounded more like the voice of a villain demanding a ransom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ollie's whole dynamic with characters and chemistry is going to change due to the complete tone shift in Amell's performance. Seriously, it's night and day and it's a tribute to Amell that the character isn't lost in the change. I mean his first line of the season was like the groanerest dad joke ever, which I can't imagine s3 Ollie saying. All this goes to say that I don't think Oliver and Laurel's eventual relationship would be bad.

Also I really like Thea as the side kick, she's already ten times more interesting than Roy was. I kind of like the way that the first three seasons laid the ground work for the debut of actual Green Arrow, it makes for a good arc and also makes his transition to an inspirational hero feel earnes.

And the writers said in post interviews that they haven't decided who's gonna be in that grave for sure so try not to get Lost af in here.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

And the writers said in post interviews that they haven't decided who's gonna be in that grave for sure so try not to get Lost af in here.

That...doesn't sound smart.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

nelson posted:

Is Hive basically DC's Hydra?

Hydra is Marvel's Kobra.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

That...doesn't sound smart.

The reason Grant Gustin showed up for basically no reason at the end is that it doesn't take anyone from the Arrow cast off the table death wise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barry was all "Big death, huh? Welp. See ya later!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Barry was all "Big death, huh? Welp. See ya later!"

The stone read "Olicity".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

The stone read "Olicity".

That would be fantastic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Are they intentionally making him wear bad wigs now. Seriously rewatched the episode but that loving hair.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

If they're not just BSing the fans (because a "we're not telling" will have people trying to weasel it out of them at every public appearance), that's exactly how you *don't* do something like this. You're writing a blank check with an expiration date and assuming you'll have enough money in the account to pay whatever the fans qrite there when it comes due.

...that is a TERRIBLE analogy, but gently caress it I'm posting live.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bruceski posted:

If they're not just BSing the fans (because a "we're not telling" will have people trying to weasel it out of them at every public appearance), that's exactly how you *don't* do something like this. You're writing a blank check with an expiration date and assuming you'll have enough money in the account to pay whatever the fans qrite there when it comes due.

Eh, the Breaking Bad writers had no idea what Walt was going to do with that M60 when they made that flash-forward. Sometimes winging it works.

Then again, season 3 makes me question the Arrow writers' abilities on that front

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the interview.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bruceski posted:

They probably have an idea, but don't have it set in stone yet in case things change.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
With magic showing up I was hoping Katana would reemerge with a real magic sword...but then I remembered she's in the upcoming movie so probably off the table like Deadshot.

Still pissed they never had her reveal that her "penicillin tea" was actually "lazarus tea" and thats how Ollie lived. Would have made the midseason return less anticlimatic and would have been the perfect out for the season, as it would been Ollie didn't really survive Ra's blade and thus wasn't the true Heir.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Finally it looks like we are getting some traction on the most important plot that has been around since season 1:

(whoever made this gif I love you)

I hope the flashbacks this year are less poo poo than the ones they did for season 3. God those were so loving bad.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Just about to watch the premieres of the flash and arrow. Do i want to watch one show before the other or will it matter?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Crunkjuice posted:

Just about to watch the premieres of the flash and arrow. Do i want to watch one show before the other or will it matter?

Doesn't matter.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Dahrk (Dark? Darkh? Dharkh?)

These are somehow all wrong. It's Damien Darhk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Bloody hell, you'd think that after 30 years of spelling Channukkahh I'd have this permutations thing down pat.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Dexo posted:

They probably have an idea, but don't have it set in stone yet in case things change.

I can't imagine it will be anyone under contract. So if none of them bail on the show before that point in the story, then it will probably either be 'that one girl he has a kid with but doesn't know it yet' or 'random character that will be invented out of whole cloth during the next batch of flashback sequences'.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

zoux posted:

They're going to pull a card from the 1980s, put up 1-900 numbers for each of the characters and be totally surprised when it turns out to be Jason Todd.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The writers have alluded to season 3 going off track largely because they stuck to some nebulous "plan" even when it was clear it wasn't working at all.

Let them improvise a little as they go, for chrissakes.

Season 3 felt VERY designed, almost always to the show's disadvantage.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

It's Dark. I refuse to use the stupid spelling :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crunkjuice posted:

Although this week it didn't really matter you should watch the episodes in broadcast order as they try and keep stuff synched up that way.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Betting the gravestone is Oliver's.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's usually more like "we haven't decided which of the directions we thought of to go" rather than "we have no clue".

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Pwnstar posted:

Betting the gravestone is Oliver's.

It's gonna be Walter.

"poo poo, hell, this poor guy didn't deserve it at all."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's Al Rothstein's, Ollie swears to find whoever is responsible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The grave belongs to the maid from the pilot, she's practically family after all.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

greatn posted:

It's Al Rothstein's, Ollie swears to find whoever is responsible.

Which one though? Earth-1 or Earth-2?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Should I bother watching the last five episodes of season three? I got the newest episode recorded on DVR, but I stopped last season after Thea got stabbed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it went a little underappreciated but when Darhk magiced those arrows back at Green Arrow and he ran towards him deflecting them by twirling his bow that was pretty cool. Seen so man big bads catch or deflect arrows out of the sky it's neat to see Oliver do it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Darhk just kinda disappears after Dig shoots him. Like I mean he completely vanished.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rirse posted:

Should I bother watching the last five episodes of season three? I got the newest episode recorded on DVR, but I stopped last season after Thea got stabbed.

I think so. You might be confused when Felicity makes all these references to Roy Palmer technology introduced and finalized the last couple of episodes. Plus Legends of Tomorrow bringing back some people from those episodes. Last two episodes go by fast anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Darhk just kinda disappears after Dig shoots him. Like I mean he completely vanished.

He's literally a magic man and had already said in the scene he wasn't worried about how he'd be leaving the train.

• Locked thread