Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yennefer is Geralt's girlfriend in my playthrough (first encounter and said I still liked her after the spell was lifted, haven't had the second encounter yet). I haven't done the High Stakes quest yet, and apparently you get to sleep with Madame Sasha during it. Does that ruin things with Yennefer at this point?

Only thing is telling Triss you love her. Geralt and Yen don't see each other for months/years all the time so don't see dalliances as A Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Only thing is telling Triss you love her. Geralt and Yen don't see each other for months/years all the time so don't see dalliances as A Thing

That reminds me, in the (fan translation of) the last book, Geralt lies to Yen about having been with other women while she was rotting away in a dungeon. I guess this is the result of an unsubtle translation, and the complete lack of emotional attachment made it not really a lie?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Really? The Witcher 2 would have been better if you had large open areas to run around in, collect endless smuggler caches, clear bandit camps over and over again? The Witcher 3 would have been worse if Novigrad didn't have a thousand houses of which less than 1% actually matters? It makes for some great visuals no doubt but all those things have to come at the expanse of other things. Development resources aren't infinite after all. Quality over quantity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was perfectly happy with how Witcher 3 turned out.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I was perfectly happy with how Witcher 3 turned out.

It's a fantastic game, one of my all time top 10 easily BUT I still would have preferred a smaller but more polished world.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Really? The Witcher 2 would have been better if you had large open areas to run around in, collect endless smuggler caches, clear bandit camps over and over again? The Witcher 3 would have been worse if Novigrad didn't have a thousand houses of which less than 1% actually matters? It makes for some great visuals no doubt but all those things have to come at the expanse of other things. Development resources aren't infinite after all. Quality over quantity.

The Witcher 3 gave quality and quantity so I'd say it turned out quite well.

Like seriously, dude, I understand not liking the open-world trend but this is not the hill you want to die on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Smuggler Caches in Skellige are pretty dumb, but the rest of the open world features I thought were done amazingly. I even loved Skellige itself and enjoyed sailing around for its own sake. If anything they should've just had way fewer things to collect in Skellige. I don't think anyone would've minded.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Senjuro posted:

It's a fantastic game, one of my all time top 10 easily BUT I still would have preferred a smaller but more polished world.

You have the option to explore or not to explore. Options are good.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

The Witcher 3 gave quality and quantity so I'd say it turned out quite well.

Like seriously, dude, I understand not liking the open-world trend but this is not the hill you want to die on.

CDPR did manage to strike a better balance than just about everyone else that tried but hearing that Cyberpunk is going to be "far, far, bigger" doesn't fill me with excitement, it fills me with dread. The cost/value ratio of these open worlds is just not worth it.

GreenNight posted:

You have the option to explore or not to explore. Options are good.

The options come at the cost of having less but more polished options which is generally what I'd prefer.

edit: VVVV Hope you're right.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 8, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They might not mean that the map is gonna be far far bigger, just the story.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Senjuro posted:

Witcher 2's dressed up hallway exteriors pale in comparison to Witcher 3's. Walking around outside Flotsam was frustrating in how it limited how you could walk around. It felt like Dragon Age with how exteriors were done. Having more open and realized areas to explore would have only been more fun given the Witcher's emphasis on Geralt's wandering hero nature.

Novigrad's size is wonderful as for once the main city in a game actually feels like a big, bustling city. Its not Skyrim where 25 people represent the population of a town supposedly of thousands. If anything had to be cut to improve Novigrad it would be some of Velen and maybe a Skellige island. I would not want Novigrad to be the size of Oxenfurt with better graphics.

Witcher 3 is completely quality over quantity, they were just able to also give you an expansive map that is fun as hell to explore.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
On any other open world game I'd agree about quantity vs quality but this o e hit it so far our I'd the park with doing both that I don't think it's an issue.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Marcin Momot ‏@Marcin360 3m3 minutes ago

The @witchergame patch 1.10 is going to be around 15gb on consoles (depending on SKU) and between 6-15gb on PC (depending on platform).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy motherfuck why is the patch so big? What are the highlights of the 15 page patch log? Can romance options really add that much more space?

Or is it also including Hearts of Stone assets too?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
From the GameSpot review:

quote:

While many women in The Witcher 3 play minor roles, often supplemental to men, Shani is a vivid character in her own.

I don't get this criticism/backhanded compliment at all. Especially when applied to the Witcher 3 specifically. I suppose there's always room for improvement, but which women were really only there to build up male characters?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i wish i actually cared about the setting for CyberPunk witcher but as it is i have 0 interest in it and will not buy it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

If any of the games' environments need polishing and condensing, it's Witcher 2's. Act 2 is pretty big, Geralt is pretty slow, there isn't a lot of stuff between objectives, and without a dedicated jump button, you have to follow the path and climb the lovely designated climbing ledges.

I hate that. I don't want to be glued to the ground! I want to press B, spread my wings, and flyyyy~

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 8, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Witcher 3 being open world is a great decision as Witcher 2's corridors and arenas weren't in any way good and makes the game feel limited in comparison. Sure I enjoyed it when I played it but after playing Witcher 3 I say gently caress off going back to that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I didn't enjoy W1 and W2 at all. The announcement that W3 was open world is exactly what pulled me in and 3 is now one of my favorite games. I can't say I had any interest before I knew about that. But honestly open world games are by far my #1 and I can't think of any game series I would rather see linear vs open world.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Witcher 1's areas feel great to me and are fun to explore I think (well, except the Swamp). Witcher 2 areas feels bad to me mainly because of how Geralt controls in that game.

I'm in the camp of rather having smaller areas/no freeroaming type of stuff if it meant more interesting content/quests and getting rid of the '?' type of design.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

FutonForensic posted:

If any of the games' environments need polishing and condensing, it's Witcher 2's. Act 2 is pretty big, Geralt is pretty slow, there isn't a lot of stuff between objectives, and without a dedicated jump button, you have to follow the path and climb the lovely designated climbing ledges.

I hate that. I don't want to be glued to the ground! I want to press B, spread my wings, and flyyyy~

Now imagine they had the same amount of resources to polish and test a much bigger area. How many quality multi step quests would have to be split into shorter, more basic ones? On the flip side, as great as The Witcher 3 is (which is very) how much better would it have been if they'd taken some of the simpler quests, like most of the monster hunts, and instead combined them into fewer but more complex ones (provided they didn't have to fill up an area as big)?

I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself and poo poo up the thread so I'll just say this: While The Witcher 3 is hardly an example of open world games forgetting about quality I think it could have been better still if the same resources it took to make it went into a smaller map. We'll obviously never know for sure but even for CDPR there has to be a breaking point and in the industry's collective rush to make worlds bigger and bigger I hope they don't cross it.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 8, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't agree with you, it would be worse because the open world factor works in favor of it. You keep posting like that 'imagine if' scenario is objectively better but it isn't, it's a question of taste I guess.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

On any other open world game I'd agree about quantity vs quality but this o e hit it so far our I'd the park with doing both that I don't think it's an issue.

I feel like they did better than genre typical because open world is largely a bunch of smaller villages which makes it feel like organic countryside vs. just having 5 cities and 250 copy-paste dungeons the way some games do it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think the open world really works with feeling like A Real Witcher. Travelling around to little villages and killing the local monster causing trouble is Geralts whole thing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
pam pa-ram.

pam PAM pa-RAM.

Just recently finished Battle for Kaer Morhen and the Bald Mountain stuff. Holy gently caress balls awesome.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

patchlog posted:

Removes ability to kill NPCs (including quest NPCs) using Dragon's Dream bomb

Ok I gotta try this before the patch hits.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yenn and Geralt have a pretty open relationship, the only thing that will cause problems for you is telling other women that you love them.

They don't actually. When they're together they're exclusive and the one time for each of them it didn't work out that way it made them both hosed up and guilty. They're just old and jaded and don't give a poo poo about what the other one does to meet their needs when they're broken up.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

From the GameSpot review:

I don't get this criticism/backhanded compliment at all. Especially when applied to the Witcher 3 specifically. I suppose there's always room for improvement, but which women were really only there to build up male characters?

The Witcher is the dedicated "video game are hugely sexist and look how progressive we are for pointing it out" series because they will never ever live down the sex cards from the first game despite that they have much better female characters in both writing and presentation than pretty much any of their competitors.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Iron Rose posted:

fair enough.

quick technical question. MGSV dragged me away from this a month, does borderless windowed mode still kill performance?

Oh, now I'm sort of wondering this as well. I'd check if I weren't already headed for bed. Anyone know?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

pam pa-ram.

pam PAM pa-RAM.

Just recently finished Battle for Kaer Morhen and the Bald Mountain stuff. Holy gently caress balls awesome.

Are we supposed to know what that song is? Or is it just made up?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The Sharmat posted:

They don't actually. When they're together they're exclusive and the one time for each of them it didn't work out that way it made them both hosed up and guilty. They're just old and jaded and don't give a poo poo about what the other one does to meet their needs when they're broken up.

As depicted in the game, I think this is pretty clearly an open relationship, at least to a point. I think we can both agree that their facebook status would be "it's complicated".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are we supposed to know what that song is? Or is it just made up?

I think it was originally supposed to be the melody to "poker face" but wound up just being improvised nonsense (it's funnier as improvised nonsense).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Does it count as an open relationship when the main reason Geralt is getting away with it is that it never comes up?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yen gets hers too, its not a one sided thing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pwnstar posted:

Yen gets hers too, its not a one sided thing.

The key to her bedroom is a common item.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Patch 1.10 is live on Steam now and is 6.4 GBs.
I think it's live on Galaxy too, but no idea about consoles yet.

Patch notes here (grab a drink while you read them!)

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Helith posted:

Patch 1.10 is live on Steam now and is 6.4 GBs.
I think it's live on Galaxy too, but no idea about consoles yet.

Patch notes here (grab a drink while you read them!)

Patch is up on PS4. It's 17.2 GB.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh jeez the patch is 17 GB on gog galaxy too.

edit: though it might hop 6 or 7 GB automatically since it's only 10.3GB on gog itself.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

korrandark posted:

Patch is up on PS4. It's 17.2 GB.

i assume it has most of the expansion in it as well, and then buying it is a switch that flips?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah that's what I'm assuming too. I Should probably grab the season pass since I intend on playing it since Shani shows up. It'll be ahwile though since I'm only 13ish hours in/probably restarting since I forgot how to play the game over the 4 months I wasn't really able to go back to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
16 gb of it are a file called notavirus.exe