Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Sounds like Halperin needs to do his loving job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/652463483313856512

"some NEWS coming up"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Halperin is a loving hack tho

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

His job has been catty rumour mongering for awhile now.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Apparently Ryan cancelled the Ways & Means committee meeting this morning. WHAT DOES IT MEAN

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Vox, Gonna Vox: "Why the GOP is Such a Shitshow"

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/9/9483463/kevin-mccarthy-john-boehner

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

AhhYes posted:

Apparently Ryan cancelled the Ways & Means committee meeting this morning. WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Maybe they want to get an early start on Columbus holiday.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AhhYes posted:

Prolly just getting out of town for the weekend. I cannot imagine he will give in to this non-sense attempt to make him speaker.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh look, another Campus shooting!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Democrats wouldn't vote for anyone but Pelosi for speaker, but if they didn't vote at all, would the required number for a majority lower from 218? Could they just get a few concessions out of the next speaker and then all abstain to let them get elected with like 180 votes?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Jeez it just keeps goin' and goin'

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unrelated, but it's hard to believe that Nancy is 75. Wonder how much longer she's goign to stick around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Unrelated, but it's hard to believe that Nancy is 75. Wonder how much longer she's goign to stick around.

I imagine she'd be gone by now if she was still Speaker. Minority leader must be comparatively less stressful, even without Tea Party shenanigans.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lady Galaga posted:

Jeez it just keeps goin' and goin'
The most recent update in the Arizona Daily Sun says that some students were leaving a party when someone just came up and started shooting. They tackled him quickly, which is good.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/shooting-at-nau-leaves-dead-wounded/article_482e56c7-6a5d-53cc-9168-ed1524a8e3e2.html

Mountain View Hall is where all the fraternities and sororities are located on NAU's campus.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The most recent update in the Arizona Daily Sun says that some students were leaving a party when someone just came up and started shooting. They tackled him quickly, which is good.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/shooting-at-nau-leaves-dead-wounded/article_482e56c7-6a5d-53cc-9168-ed1524a8e3e2.html

Mountain View Hall is where all the fraternities and sororities are located on NAU's campus.

Looks like Dr Carson's advice is working.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
At least the pig mccarthy was loving was alive.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Who's her likely successor? She's got the Dems marching in lockstep; could the next person do that too?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yikes, headshot.

But the meeting came and went and McCarthy didn't resign, so it seems I'm not well connected, just a petty rumor-monger.

Edit: And yep, looks like it really was just a rumor.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/652477008270770176

"INSIDE THE GOP MEETING McCarthy just told lawmakers he's STAYING IN CONGRESS, and leadership."

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 9, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dude.

edit: if we're doing Ellmerschat, I'm just going to leave this here:

“Men do tend to talk about things on a much higher level,” Ellmers said. “Many of my male colleagues, when they go to the House floor, you know, they’ve got some pie chart or graph behind them and they’re talking about trillions of dollars and how, you know, the debt is awful and, you know, we all agree with that.... “We need our male colleagues to understand that if you can bring it down to a woman’s level and what everything that she is balancing in her life – that’s the way to go,” Ellmers concluded.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

Dude.

“Men do tend to talk about things on a much higher level,” Ellmers said. “Many of my male colleagues, when they go to the House floor, you know, they’ve got some pie chart or graph behind them and they’re talking about trillions of dollars and how, you know, the debt is awful and, you know, we all agree with that.... “We need our male colleagues to understand that if you can bring it down to a woman’s level and what everything that she is balancing in her life – that’s the way to go,” Ellmers concluded.

What the ever-loving gently caress.... this pisses me off to no end.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Who's her likely successor? She's got the Dems marching in lockstep; could the next person do that too?

Steny Hoyer's going to get skipped because he's too conservative (and likely won't be around much longer either - he's older than Pelosi).

Chris van Hollen was heir-apparent but he knows that he ain't going to be speaker anytime soon so he's trying to be a senator.

Clyburn is too ancient. Nonstarter.

Xavier Becerra and Joseph Crowley are the real competitors. And DWS...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PostNouveau posted:

The Democrats wouldn't vote for anyone but Pelosi for speaker, but if they didn't vote at all, would the required number for a majority lower from 218? Could they just get a few concessions out of the next speaker and then all abstain to let them get elected with like 180 votes?

The Dems will (largely) vote for whoever Pelosi and the Caucus leadership ask them to. You don't have the equivalent of the purity before all else types of the Tortilla Coasters on the Dem side and I'd say the majority would even vote for a Republican if the case was made that it would be for the best.

If the speaker gets elected with Democratic support they will be very dependent upon Pelosi and her caucus to stay in power. At any point they could force the speaker to step down by going over to the 40 or so hard right folks who will be out for blood.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

And DWS...

I shudder at the loving thought :cripes:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's nice to see that a black man like Carson is regurgitating the old Neo-Nazi/white supremacist notion that gun control caused the Holocaust. We're really making strides with multiculturalism in this country people.

I cannot wait until we've got white supremacists talking about Yaccub. (If you immediately wanted to tell me I spelled his name wrong then trap sprung mfers.) Had a dude on the subway get highly offended when I told the ending to the story when he was in the middle. I do want to say that I heard the affair stuff from a guy who knows a guy, but it was actually Gawker. Is there a general gooncensus on them, they've always seemed pretty legit to me but if people have something against them besides the format I'd be interested in hearing it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Grey Fox posted:

Dude.

That.... that's not real is it? I need a source for that because dear loving god.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2573731

quote:

During an interview with radio host Sean Hannity Thursday, the former speaker told the host that while he isn’t pining to retake the position he vacated in 1999, he would not be opposed to serving as interim speaker if he had the 218 votes necessary. […]

“Why are you laughing at my idea?” Hannity told Gingrich. “This is a serious proposal.”

“I’m not laughing at it. I’m saying to you — I’m trying to be totally honest with you,” Gingrich told the host. “If you were to say to me 218 have called you up and given you their pledge, obviously no citizen could ever turn down that kind of challenge. This is why George Washington came out of retirement — because there are moments you can’t avoid.”

:newt:

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
The Donald, feeling the White House and Oval Office growing ever-closer, extends his omnipotent reach into the halls of Congress, as well. Can't wait until he starts bragging about calling SCOTUS and influencing decisions there, too.

ABC News posted:

Donald Trump took "a lot of credit" for driving Rep. Kevin McCarthy out of the race for House Speaker, he told a crowd of 1,600 in Las Vegas today.

“I wanna just start by saying, you know Kevin McCarthy is out, you know that? right?,” Trump said to a loud applause. “They are giving me a lot of credit for that because I said you really need somebody very, very, tough, and very smart, you know smart goes with tough, not just tough.

"I know tough people, they are not smart, that’s the worst, OK?”

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
It's the middle of the day/right before lunch(~11AM) but Carson is having an interview an interview with a ny radio station.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/the-brian-lehrer-show-2015-10-09/

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Who's they? Who gives Trump credit for that?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Riosan posted:

Who's they? Who gives Trump credit for that?

The only "They" that matters: Donald Trump himself.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Greg Sargent up with a good piece this morning illustrating just how bad this is playing for the House GOP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...trously-broken/

There was a story on NPR, I think, last night where they were talking about how Mitch and Boehner had talked about that their goal at the beginning of this congress was to show Americans that the GOP could effectively govern. It's going swimmingly.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Greg Sargent up with a good piece this morning illustrating just how bad this is playing for the House GOP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...trously-broken/

There was a story on NPR, I think, last night where they were talking about how Mitch and Boehner had talked about that their goal at the beginning of this congress was to show Americans that the GOP could effectively govern. It's going swimmingly.

I know this is only the most recent in a string of pieces about this, but

*slowly_building_booming_satanic_laughter.mp3*

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah well McCarthy loving put Hungria on the map.

Seriously I have never seen someone with a bigger gap between what they're saying and how they're saying it. He was doing that lecture poo poo, emphasizing syllables here and there, but he was spitting out word spaetzle.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BonoMan posted:

That.... that's not real is it? I need a source for that because dear loving god.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/ellmers-urges-men-bring-policy-down-womans-level

She released a statement claiming it was taken out of context, but made no discernible attempt to clarify the point she was trying to make. Just lot of "bllaaarrrrrggghhhh liberal gotcha media!!!!"

quote:

This is absolutely ridiculous and the quote in question was taken completely out of context. I am a woman, and find it both offensive and sexist to take my words and redefine them to imply that women need to be addressed at a lower level.

“The point of Friday’s panel was to have an open conversation regarding how we communicate our values and principles to women across this country. Unfortunately, certain leftist writers have decided to take this important opportunity and engage in ‘gotcha’ journalism. There were so many positive ideas and solutions proposed during this discussion that sought to empower women. But instead of focusing on these positive steps, some writers are cherry-picking words and using predetermined agendas to attack Republicans and increase their readership.

“It is a shame that such an important moment for addressing solutions and empowering women was used to attack the open exchange of ideas. In answering a question regarding how Republicans can improve their messaging, I took the opportunity to note that everyone comes from different backgrounds and experiences - and our messaging should do the same.

“If there is a problem, who is perpetuating it? Was it a room full of women laughing, bonding and sharing solutions - or a liberal woman reporter attacking the event and taking it to a dark place that does not exist?”

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Why do they want to do this specifically, just because IRS=taxes=bad?

You ever play dwarf fortress? Sometimes the nobles want something that they can't get (like a bismuth bronze coat rack), and when they don't get it, they punish some random dwarf in order to show the others. Koskinen is that random dwarf.

sullat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 9, 2015

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

QuoProQuid posted:

The Freedom Caucus released their demands suggestions for the Republican Leadership's new focus as it finds a Speaker. Some highlights include:

The Freedom Caucus would like to thank you for your time in answering these completely voluntary questions. Your participation is appreciated.

Specifically, here's the full survey:

http://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000150-49be-d501-ab5d-6dbf7cd70000

Another two gems:

quote:

13. Would you attach significant structural entitlement reforms included in the FY 2016 budget resolution, such as welfare reform, and significant process changes, such as legislation establishing an automatic continuing resolution and the Default Prevention Act, to legislation that would raise the debt limit and not schedule the consideration of another vehicle that contains a debt limit increase?

18. Would you commit to taking up Rep. Labrador's First Amendment Defense Act?

(The FADA is this.)

William Bear fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 9, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Its getting harder and harder to parse his verbal diarrhea...

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

@ChadPergram 42m42 minutes ago
Some conservatives already girding for battle to derail a potential Paul Ryan Speakership. Don't like his stance on immigration.

aahahahahaha good loving poo poo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No True TeaBagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

@ChadPergram 42m42 minutes ago
Some conservatives already girding for battle to derail a potential Paul Ryan Speakership. Don't like his stance on immigration.

No doubt they would pull the knives out on Saint Reagan himself.

E: Ryan was your VP nominee in 2012, so what the gently caress. What is happening in the House

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 9, 2015

• Locked thread