Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Can you size down pics 2, 3, and 4? They are absolutely enormous.

PDP-1 posted:

Nice! I was already planning on making some peanut stew this weekend and I have some teff flour ordered that should arrive tomorrow to make injera bread to go with. This pic has me excited to get it done as I've been jonesing for some peanut stew ever since the East African food cart that used to show up near my workplace mysteriously disappeared. Their version was a lot thicker and less soupy, but I'm sure it's one of those recipes that has a million local variants.

Have you made injera before? I would love to know a workable ratio of teff flour to water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
^^^^^
Done. Sorry they weren't huge on my screen. just copy pasted previous links.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The autumn breeze is in the air... It's time once again for the season of soups!

Kicked things off with a simple butternut squash soup with all fresh ingredients (beside the rubbed sage) with a lazy grilled cheese for a side.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beautiful. Such colors.

I had a pumpkin soup with black beans and andouille recently, delicious and really got me in the fall mood.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

guppy posted:

Have you made injera before? I would love to know a workable ratio of teff flour to water.

Nope, I've never made it before - just eaten enough of it that experts have made to want more. :)

The internet tells me that the ratio is about 1 part flour to 1 or 1.5 parts water, or whatever makes a kind of pancake batter consistency. Then you let that sit for a day or so in a covered bowl until it starts to ferment and forms bubbles. When it's ready ladle enough into a med-high heated pan to cover the bottom about a quarter inch thick and cook while covered until the dough bubbles through and the top looks slightly glossy. Don't try to flip it, just cook from one side.

The teff arrived today - I'll most likely mix up the batter tomorrow night and we should have results before the weekend is over!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

ogopogo posted:

Because I have a problem

The only problem I see here is that I don't have this in my face right now

emotive posted:

Coconut curry soup with brown rice noodles and crispy tofu.

This is a thing of beauty!

The better half had a long-awaited day off yesterday, so made her a treat for the evening:

Treacle-cured silverside of beef, slow braised for 4 hours;
Pearl barley;
Roasted heritage carrot;
Shallots braised in Innis and Gunn and beef stock, with tarragon, black pepper, and reserved cure liquid;
Sauce made from the shallot liquor, strained, finished with butter, fresh tarragon, and a splash of sherry.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

My attempt at this recipe for Lamb Spinach Curry with some modifications: http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/slow-cooked-lamb_and-spinach-curry

First, my wife doesn't like lamb so that got swapped out for chicken. Next, tomato paste is fuckoff expensive here and we wouldn't ever use more than what is called for in this recipe so it's a little watery. I got a highly authentic baguette from the supermarket and it turned out pretty alright. I'm gonna file this under the "fusion," column so I can be guilt free.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ErIog posted:

My attempt at this recipe for Lamb Spinach Curry with some modifications: http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/slow-cooked-lamb_and-spinach-curry

First, my wife doesn't like lamb so that got swapped out for chicken. Next, tomato paste is fuckoff expensive here and we wouldn't ever use more than what is called for in this recipe so it's a little watery. I got a highly authentic baguette from the supermarket and it turned out pretty alright. I'm gonna file this under the "fusion," column so I can be guilt free.

Where do you live that tomato paste is expensive and what do you usually eat that you'd never use it again?
I put tomato paste in every stew, most bean and pasta dishes, and even on toasted cheese sandwiches. E: The small cans suck, and don't last long before going moldy, but I buy the squeeze bottles here that last for ages.

But that isn't the main reason why I post, the main reason is if you like chicken and spinach, look up a few saag chicken / chicken saagwala / murg saagwala recipes. Some use tomato (as in a few diced, or a can - not tomato paste).
I sometimes chuck in coconut milk instead of tomato but I don't think that's traditional.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 9, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I live in Japan, and my wife and I cook mostly Japanese food along with random American foods that have never called for it. It's not like insanely expensive to get tomato paste, but it seemed silly to spend that much for an ingredient both of us were pretty sure would just sit rotting away in our kitchen that was such a small part of the overall recipe. If we cook a dish with tomatoes then we tend to just use fresh tomatoes. I understand tomato paste has its uses, but not for the what we tend to cook.

If curry becomes a regular thing then I'll probably pick it up. Not right now, though.

Thanks for the tip on saag chicken. I'll look into that, and it'll probably turn out even better than this did.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Tomato paste is somewhat important, as it adds umami. If you delete it from a recipe, you usually need to reduce tomatoes a lot or add extra salt, vinegar+sugar, herbs and spice to cover the lack of it, or substitute some other umami ingredient
E: or go a different way to make a creamy dish.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 9, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can get tomato paste in a tube that will stay fresh in the fridge for a year or more. great for when you just need a little bit here and there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BraveUlysses posted:

you can get tomato paste in a tube that will stay fresh in the fridge for a year or more. great for when you just need a little bit here and there.

Eff that, buy 12 packs of the cans and go through them in a couple months.

We use a lot of tomato paste.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Eff that, buy 12 packs of the cans and go through them in a couple months.

We use a lot of tomato paste.

So do I and it's such bullshit because I almost never use an entire can. I need cans that are half the size of a normal tomato paste can.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So do I and it's such bullshit because I almost never use an entire can. I need cans that are half the size of a normal tomato paste can.

Oh. I mean I toss a whole can into some things, but yeah, sometimes I use half a can and then put saran wrap on and then within a week or two use the rest.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What the gently caress, why is tomato paste called tomato puree in swedish when it's clearly the other thing? I had to go to wikipedia to be sure of what you were even talking about. :psyduck:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Forget about cans, go for the triple concentrate:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's a normal sized can? Here it commonly comes in the 70g tins as depicted here:

As well as double height ones of those (140g, not depicted).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe a standard small can here is about 6oz, so 180 grams or so.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Weird how that poo poo differs regionally for no good reason.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Weird how that poo poo differs regionally for no good reason.

Kind of like butter packaging...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That Works posted:

Kind of like butter packaging...

Are you saying my recipes asking for half a stick of butter aren't an exact amount? That would explain some things...

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Fo3 posted:

If you delete it from a recipe, you usually need to reduce tomatoes a lot or add extra salt, vinegar+sugar, herbs and spice...

Yeah, that's exactly what I did.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iajanus posted:

Are you saying my recipes asking for half a stick of butter aren't an exact amount? That would explain some things...
Yeah I started to buy butter by the tub out of confusion.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Steak au Poivre

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Chicken Carbonara I made loosely following the instructions on the GWS wiki, but throwing in carrots and spinach instead of mushrooms. Topped with some cheese, and the saddest dried parsley/oregano. I should really spring for fresh herbs, but both my wife and I are between jobs right now. I also probably could have done more to add some color to the chicken, but I always overcook chicken so I tried to baby it a little more this time so it would come out less dry.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Sorry to be that guy again, tell me if I'm annoying.
You can't go wrong with chicken in a stainless steel pan in small batches. Stainless is best for colour and not over cooking if done in batches.
The other night I made a pressure cooked risotto (with roasted butternut squash/pumpkin, steamed beans and chicken)
I actually forgot about the chicken until the last couple of minutes as most of my risottos are vegetarian.
But in the last 2 min I cooked the chicken in a stainless pan and got plenty of colour without overcooking them. I have a non stick pan, a wok and a cast iron pan, but the stainless steel pan is the quickest and best way to cook meats and give colour IMO.
The non stick pan has many uses, so too the cast iron, but the SS pan rules for chicken and steak colour/crust.

E: Also you have to be careful about the gws wiki, honestly a lot of those recipes are pre-gws, some are not that good.
It's probably not the right season for you, but I don't spend any money on herbs either, I only use what I can grow for cheap/free. Mainly thyme, parsley and rosemary, trying still with sage and oregano. No had much luck with coriander-either bolts too soon or root disease or other bacteria/fungus gets it. But if even I can grow rosemary, thyme and parsley, then anyone can.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 12, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I think it may depend on your stove too. I have a crappy electric stove and my cast iron pan always browns food better than my stainless steel pans, and I have nice All Clad pans. I recently did some pan roasted chicken thighs that I didn't want to cook in two batches so I cooked half in my cast iron and half in my stainless steel pan and the cast iron ones turned out much better with browner and crisper skin.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Butterflying the chicken or lowering the heat will let you get good color without having it taste like hay. I saw you're in Japan. Is fresh parsley/cilantro that expensive? Because it also appears in a lot of stuff so if you're cooking fairly regularly it will rarely go to waste. Even on a rice and beans budget diet, it's a huge part of those dishes, and you will really notice the difference vs dried. If it's a money thing, if you've got a tiny bit of space with ample light you can definitely just get seeds.

also yeah, while the GWS wiki has a lot of cool stuff, there's definitely odd or straight up bad recipes occasionally. Back when I didn't know better, I made a pad thai recipe with like 12 tablespoons of brown sugar or something totally insane.

Some are just non traditional, which is basically what yours was, some Americanized alfredo/carbonara mash up, but unless you cook enough to realize that, you wouldn't know that. I like that and other different takes on traditional stuff a lot actually, but most people think carbonara as something more traditional like this http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara which is why the wiki can sometimes be unreliable

ColHannibal posted:

Steak au Poivre

:swoon:

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 12, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

mich posted:

I think it may depend on your stove too. I have a crappy electric stove and my cast iron pan always browns food better than my stainless steel pans, and I have nice All Clad pans. I recently did some pan roasted chicken thighs that I didn't want to cook in two batches so I cooked half in my cast iron and half in my stainless steel pan and the cast iron ones turned out much better with browner and crisper skin.

Probably. I'm on gas and the burners are only a pathetic 2.5", my clad SS or my older aluminium/copper disc based SS pans probably spread the heat better than CI and get hotter much quicker. While an electric stove has a wider heat spread, and a slow heat increase, so CI works better for you.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 12, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fo3 posted:

Probably. I'm on gas and the burners are only a pathetic 2.5", my clad SS or my older aluminium/copper disc based SS pans probably spread the heat better than CI and get hotter much quicker. While an electric stove has a wider heat spread, and a slow heat increase, so CI works better for you.

Definitely, Like mich I have a crappy electric range and can definitely get a much better sear using my cast iron than a stainless pan. Granted, I have lovely stainless cookware, but still.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I meant to take picture of these after I cooked them but I was too busy eating but this was dinner last night (well, the main course)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ErIog posted:

Chicken Carbonara I made loosely following the instructions on the GWS wiki, but throwing in carrots and spinach instead of mushrooms. Topped with some cheese, and the saddest dried parsley/oregano. I should really spring for fresh herbs, but both my wife and I are between jobs right now. I also probably could have done more to add some color to the chicken, but I always overcook chicken so I tried to baby it a little more this time so it would come out less dry.

Ugh, this is a reminder why we need to delete the poo poo "carbonara" recipe off the GWS wiki

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's the only type that was in Hong Kong. Let them make it, then show them the better version.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Butterflying the chicken or lowering the heat will let you get good color without having it taste like hay. I saw you're in Japan. Is fresh parsley/cilantro that expensive? Because it also appears in a lot of stuff so if you're cooking fairly regularly it will rarely go to waste. Even on a rice and beans budget diet, it's a huge part of those dishes, and you will really notice the difference vs dried. If it's a money thing, if you've got a tiny bit of space with ample light you can definitely just get seeds.

also yeah, while the GWS wiki has a lot of cool stuff, there's definitely odd or straight up bad recipes occasionally. Back when I didn't know better, I made a pad thai recipe with like 12 tablespoons of brown sugar or something totally insane.

Some are just non traditional, which is basically what yours was, some Americanized alfredo/carbonara mash up, but unless you cook enough to realize that, you wouldn't know that. I like that and other different takes on traditional stuff a lot actually, but most people think carbonara as something more traditional like this http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara which is why the wiki can sometimes be unreliable

I saw both recipes, and I chose the shittier one because I was able to use what I had in the house versus the other one where I'd have to go to the import food store to get 1/4lb of proper parmesan and pancetta.

The herbs seemed a bit expensive to me for the size of the packages, but I have no idea what fresh herbs cost in the US. Foreigners here complain about it a bunch, though. We should probably start an herb garden since we do have a bit of space to do it, and my wife would probably love something like that.

Also, we just moved in together about a month ago, and the pan situation is dire. We have 2 non-stick pans, a pot handed down from her grandmother, and a traditional Japanese nabe. We really should go get some stainless, but she loves non-stick for some reason.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, this is a reminder why we need to delete the poo poo "carbonara" recipe off the GWS wiki

Or maybe just rename it "American Bullshit Carbonara" so it doesn't piss everybody off that it's not a true carbonara. It's not a bad recipe. It's just not a carbonara, and I assumed as much when I made it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

ErIog posted:

:okpos:

Yeah.... yeah we really need to get rid of that recipe. Along with that pad thai sugarbomb as well.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I fell on the ramen wagon... this is like a Japanese hybrid ramen with the sesame miso broth from my ICSA entry. So loving good. No, I didn't make the noodles - it was a Friday night throw-together... literally took like 15 minutes. Amazing.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
what's on the bottom right of the bowl?

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
While I haven't technically eaten it yet, my amazing roommate strikes again. He just brought home about 15lb of this stuff. It's like gold. I can't wait to tear into it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Scallops romesco with green beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

im full of poo poo posted:

what's on the bottom right of the bowl?