Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

the gently caress is a zestimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

historic bungalow

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

flipper tile in the kitchen

now they're making ~backsplashes~ out of the flipper tile. lmfao

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if you haven't been paying attention, backsplashes are the new granite countertops

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

flipper tile in the kitchen

now they're making ~backsplashes~ out of the flipper tile. lmfao

dont all kitchens have backsplash? ive never had one without. idgi

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm the $458,000 mobile home in a rural exurb of austin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

its for all the servers. they're gonna go at the top of the tower which is tall b/c it needs to reach the cloud

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i'm the $458,000 mobile home in a rural exurb of austin

historic bungalow.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fyi vinyl siding does not imply mobile home. it just looks trashy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fyi vinyl siding does not imply mobile home. it just looks trashy

you're right, there could easily be rotten wood beneath that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've been telling you people that the Austin market is hosed. similar to San Francisco it is largely thanks to decades of nimbys blocking anything that isnt their preferred construction style (single family housing on 1/8th acre lots).

worth pointing out that in addition to the stupid-high sales price the property tax on that will likely be about $1k/month

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I've been telling you people that the Austin market is hosed. similar to San Francisco it is largely thanks to decades of nimbys blocking anything that isnt their preferred construction style (single family housing on 1/8th acre lots).

worth pointing out that in addition to the stupid-high sales price the property tax on that will likely be about $1k/month

dont worry they built enough condos downtown to make sure the live music industry is dead in 5-10 years

because when you move into a condo downtown to be close to the clubs, you are shocked, just shocked, that they dare play loud music past 10pm!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Smythe posted:

dont all kitchens have backsplash? ive never had one without. idgi

mine doesn't :(

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the property taxes on that place are only $8800/yr right now, so when it gets sold they'll definitely go up over $1k/month

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

its for all the servers. they're gonna go at the top of the tower which is tall b/c it needs to reach the cloud

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

dont worry they built enough condos downtown to make sure the live music industry is dead in 5-10 years

because when you move into a condo downtown to be close to the clubs, you are shocked, just shocked, that they dare play loud music past 10pm!

one of the only good things the supervisors in sf have done is to block nuisance lawsuits against entertainment venues that were there before the housing was built

took a decade and a half of lovely lawsuits to get there though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

new orleans has had a similar problem w/ gentrifiers moving into the Quarter and the Marigny and getting all pissy about the music

and nowadays they're trying for zoning building-by-building and then the neighbors start lawsuits when these businesses get music permits anyway

According to Cropley, it’s not the music she and her neighbors object to; it’s noise, and crowds on weekend nights.

“I’m a music lover, I have friends who are musicians, I go see live music all the time,” she said. “I checked the zoning before I bought my home. I was shocked the first weekend to hear live music until 4 a.m. And all the doorman does is check I.D.’s, there’s no crowd control.”

The group filed suit, she said, as a last resort, after several meetings with Dykes and officers of the Faubourg Marigny Improvement Association failed to convince them the bar would turn it down on weekends.

lol there are 4 bars on that block how could you not notice that when you're buying a house right there

Some music venues, such as Siberia and the Mother-in-Law Lounge, were able to obtain permits by petitioning City Council for conditional use variances on their zoning. Because of Mimi’s location, the bar is not eligible for such a variance; instead, Schmidt said, it obtained its new permit by proving it had been presenting live music for many years, essentially becoming grandfathered into eligibility.

hahaha gently caress you NIMBYs

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Trabisnikof posted:

they're also complaining about the smoke from the bbq joints

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

new orleans has had a similar problem w/ gentrifiers moving into the Quarter and the Marigny and getting all pissy about the music

and nowadays they're trying for zoning building-by-building and then the neighbors start lawsuits when these businesses get music permits anyway

According to Cropley, it’s not the music she and her neighbors object to; it’s noise, and crowds on weekend nights.

“I’m a music lover, I have friends who are musicians, I go see live music all the time,” she said. “I checked the zoning before I bought my home. I was shocked the first weekend to hear live music until 4 a.m. And all the doorman does is check I.D.’s, there’s no crowd control.”

The group filed suit, she said, as a last resort, after several meetings with Dykes and officers of the Faubourg Marigny Improvement Association failed to convince them the bar would turn it down on weekends.

lol there are 4 bars on that block how could you not notice that when you're buying a house right there

Some music venues, such as Siberia and the Mother-in-Law Lounge, were able to obtain permits by petitioning City Council for conditional use variances on their zoning. Because of Mimi’s location, the bar is not eligible for such a variance; instead, Schmidt said, it obtained its new permit by proving it had been presenting live music for many years, essentially becoming grandfathered into eligibility.

hahaha gently caress you NIMBYs

worse, not in my future back yard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

idea_man.txt

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"access to incubators"?

so, a functioning web connection and the ability to spell "incubator"?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

eh that's overblown. noise complaints are up citywide but it is mostly neighbors complaining about neighbors having parties or a barking dog, not commercial venues. the complaints also aren't clustered around major venues like you would expect them to be, which makes sense because most dedicated music venues are pretty heavily sound-proofed and don't have trouble with noise complaints.

the thing that is killing the music industry is that cost of living has gone up so much that a part time job + whatever scraps the bars are paying your band isn't a viable way to make rent.

Dolomite posted:

they're also complaining about the smoke from the bbq joints

I think it is just the one. it only opened recently and the smokestacks are just the right height to deliver smoke 24/7 into the houses on the hill behind them. you couldn't design a more effective way to passive aggressively piss off your neighbors if you tried.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Holden Caulfund

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

does his big plan involve a giant rye field

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0S20D420151008

Lyft cto hacked uber. loving Mike judge is prescient

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

ayn rand hand job posted:

does his big plan involve a giant rye field

does he call mobile apps phoneys

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

eh that's overblown. noise complaints are up citywide but it is mostly neighbors complaining about neighbors having parties or a barking dog, not commercial venues. the complaints also aren't clustered around major venues like you would expect them to be, which makes sense because most dedicated music venues are pretty heavily sound-proofed and don't have trouble with noise complaints.

Noise complaints have limited what can be done at venues on Red River, expect the same for Rainey as soon as the new building is finished.

I wouldn't be surprised if the east side was next.

Shifty Pony posted:

the thing that is killing the music industry is that cost of living has gone up so much that a part time job + whatever scraps the bars are paying your band isn't a viable way to make rent.

That too. plus the music industry dying didnt help. So we can blame SV for this one too

quote:

I think it is just the one. it only opened recently and the smokestacks are just the right height to deliver smoke 24/7 into the houses on the hill behind them. you couldn't design a more effective way to passive aggressively piss off your neighbors if you tried.

yeah you're very correct about the smokestack thing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the chrysler building may have lost the skyscraper race but at least it wasn't featured in sharknado 2

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Lyft and hertz are partnered to literally rent drivers cars for their illegal jitney service

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0S20D420151008

Lyft cto hacked uber. loving Mike judge is prescient

revenge for uber's campaign flagging all the no-shows last year

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

one of the only good things the supervisors in sf have done is to block nuisance lawsuits against entertainment venues that were there before the housing was built

took a decade and a half of lovely lawsuits to get there though

got a link? the war on fun sucked.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
c SV s: so i found out from a public meeting w/ one of the clients for this big complete streets project that the reason there isn't currently a sidewalk network that attaches their corporate campus to the city's is b/c "they don't want protesters to be able to walk here and stand outside"

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

c SV s: so i found out from a public meeting w/ one of the clients for this big complete streets project that the reason there isn't currently a sidewalk network that attaches their corporate campus to the city's is b/c "they don't want protesters to be able to walk here and stand outside"

lol
incredible

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

speechless

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

sounds reasonable

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

do they have particularly aggressive grass and shrubbery where the sidewalk would have been?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

prefect posted:

do they have particularly aggressive grass and shrubbery where the sidewalk would have been?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

if you haven't been paying attention, backsplashes are the new granite countertops

sometimes i watch garbage home-reno shows on DIY network because i guess i like to watch men do things with their hands and PBS doesn't always show this old house...and holy poo poo the cost of some of the "custom backsplashes" you see are hilariously absurd

metal subway tiles!! poo poo ends up somehow costing as much or more than the countertops

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

ah yes because without sidewalks, it is literally physically impossible for a person to walk somewhere. simply no other way, certainly can't walk on a road or turf, nope, breaks laws of physics

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

ah yes because without sidewalks, it is literally physically impossible for a person to walk somewhere. simply no other way, certainly can't walk on a road or turf, nope, breaks laws of physics

what the gently caress

according to my mom when i was 4, its not smart to walk in the street cuz you might get hit by a car

• Locked thread