Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I am officially a broken man and I redouble my efforts to find a new job; I don't care what or where it is, just get me out of here.

This is the most depressing thing I've read all day.

And I read AusPol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

KARMA! posted:

Throw all laptop keyboards in the sea.
We got in some new Toughbooks that have a BIOS setting that lets you disable laptop keyboard numlock. It's the greatest thing ever and I don't know why all laptops don't have it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats the limit on PST file size again? I seem to remember 128 GBs but I can't imagine anyone actually having a usable computer by that point. Stability cutoff seems to be about 10 GBs in my experience.

5G used to be past the point where Microsoft would start going "We don't support that lol"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Knormal posted:

We got in some new Toughbooks that have a BIOS setting that lets you disable laptop keyboard numlock. It's the greatest thing ever and I don't know why all laptops don't have it.

I thought most did. Or at least let you toggle whether it was on or off by default.

We had one case where a dentist's office changed the password on all their exam room terminals and then no one could log into any of them with the new or the old password. Turned out they had these tiny wireless keyboards for all of them with the numpad across the right side laptop-style and numlock was on by default at startup. The old password had been one that was typed only on the left side of the keyboard..

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Raerlynn posted:

Most of us work in a professional environment where being a dick to someone with no justification earns you a managerial boot up the rear end. Just because no one has smacked you with a 2x4 yet doesn't mean your method is the better one.

I loath literally every other user that exists in my organization, but I do it behind a plastic smile and fake well wishes.

larchesdanrew posted:

So after having my Z-series idea shot down, apparently the CE went into the department head meeting yesterday morning and, when the idea was brought up by the department wanting the new computer, the CE claimed that it was a wonderful idea and how he had been suggesting for the past year that they replace that editor (lie) his personal suggestion would be a Z-Series Workstation (also lie). So now he's kidnapped this whole project and I guaran-drat-tee you he'll order an iBuyPower with RAIDed budget SSDs for a scratch disk, brag about how much cheaper he was able to get it, and then dump the whole thing on me to deploy and maintain.

I was not aware of this and went to tell the department head this morning that CE had denied the request. She went into a frenzy and stomped into the GM's office and threw a fit about CE and how his attitude, ego, and insecurity were personally affecting her department and had been for years and on and on and on. Then she dropped my name and I was called in and basically bitched out for trying to head up projects I had no business heading up and to leave everything to the CE.

So, I'm out. I'm done. No more initiative on my part. He wins. No more AWS client uploads, no more redundant storage planning, no more WiFi deployment, no more anything that isn't a tech support ticket.

I am officially a broken man and I redouble my efforts to find a new job; I don't care what or where it is, just get me out of here.

All of us saw this coming. Institutional stagnation at the level you are facing takes a major shakeup at the very tip top of the organization to break free. Basically it would require a breakdown to the level where they bring in a new GM, and a new CE. And if that happened your best bet would be to get a new job while it all shook out, because when outsiders come in to unfuck bad situations any of the old guard, no matter how forward thinking are tarnished with the brush of the past failure.

Basically regardless of how things break, for the good or the bad, your time is pretty much coming to it's end with these people and this organization. Rejoice.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 8, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Who knew you could only put 99,000 files in a directory nfs shared off a NetApp san.

:) how many files do you expect?
:cool: the database says 456,000

:crossarms:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't help with a problem if I don't know what the problem is. If it's an actual non-user error I'll run into it myself pretty fast. Everyone's been told more than once to stop if they get an error message they don't understand instead of clicking yes with the speed of light and then telling me something went wrong. I have enough actually business-critical work to do.

A million times this - I've actually gone as far as helpfully (not being sarcastic) showing people how to use the snip tool in Windows 7/8 so they can take a quick screen grab of any errors. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to snip > save > send and has saved me a TON of headaches hunting down problems, especially when someone can't give a definitive error or time when it happened. I've got better things to do than comb through event logs like a blind squirrel trying to find a nut.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Being able to very, very politely tell people to go gently caress themselves is probably the best skill I have ever learned, outside of being able to write competently.

Once you can get this skill down, it's easy to deal with even the most frustrating of assholes and egos. Taking college writing classes helped with this immensely, can't count how many times I've been able to slap someone's poo poo down in the most polite, calm way possible to the point that (a) my boss has my back and (b) they inevitably crawl back, offer a half-hearted apology, and stop acting like dicks. You almost have to treat it like you're a grade school teacher dealing with rowdy 9 year olds - you'll get screwed for losing your temper, but putting little Johnny Shitpants in the corner and talking to him calmly and sternly gets him to wake up REAL quick.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 9, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Username/Account#: [DIFFERENT USERNAME]

Article #:

Operating System: mac 10.8

Email Client: mac mail

Comment/Question:
direction did not work. Domain Manager does not even have an "edit
reverse DNS" link to select…really?

It probably doesn't show anything about editing rDNS in their account because the only service this person has with us is email, but I want to know what they think they're trying to do with both Mac Mail and rDNS.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in ...

Problem: User can no longer send mails to collegue, they return with an error. User could mail to this collegue in the past without any problem.
Solution: Told user to spell last name of collegue in the email address correctly.

sixth and maimed fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 9, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was the misspelling of colleague intentional as well?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A ticket came in

quote:

To: IT - General
Ticket:
Hey computer people. I'm back from my hunt and made deer sausages. As usual you get first pick, and the mayor's office get what's left. kr. 120.- each. Mobile Pay to xxxxxxxx.

/Section Leader

An hour later he showed up with the goods. I bought two. :dance:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

alg posted:

Who knew you could only put 99,000 files in a directory nfs shared off a NetApp san.

:) how many files do you expect?
:cool: the database says 456,000

:crossarms:

:ohdear:
uh... what model netapp?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

A deer sausage came in
About half a dozen people here are all taking next week off to go moose hunting.

I'm looking forward to being able to buy a ton of moose jerky in a couple of weeks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crowley posted:

A ticket came in

so did you get mere discount or what?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Was the misspelling of colleague intentional as well?

Is being an rear end in a top hat intentional as well?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Never Ever Ever, Eat Moose Jerked. NO! Eat Nøntøønyt Moose Naturally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pro tip: put the moose in a soup.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

shut up you finnish bastard elk sausage owns

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

shut up you finnish bastard elk sausage owns

Sausage is not jerky as far as I know.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sausage is not jerky as far as I know.

Well you brought it up mister <:mad:>

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Well you brought it up mister <:mad:>

Uhh no I didn't? Collateral Damage did. I can't fathom why anyone would be excited for jerky when they can just, you know, eat the meat as non-jerky.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
because jerky is loving delicious. I have never had moose or elk jerky but if it's made of meat I will season it, dry it, and eat it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

because jerky is loving delicious. I have never had moose or elk jerky but if it's made of meat I will season it, dry it, and eat it.

You might as well make the jerky from roadkill because you'll only be tasting the seasoning. That's how jerky works. It's the IPA of foods.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

You might as well make the jerky from roadkill because you'll only be tasting the seasoning. That's how jerky works. It's the IPA of foods.

You've obviously never had good/a variety of jerky.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

neogeo0823 posted:

You've obviously never had good/a variety of jerky.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in: Deer Jerky Supremacy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Re: A ticket came in; We discussed whether to dry age or smoke it before closing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who says you can't do both?

A medium rare moose steak is harder to keep in your pocket for snacking on though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Who says you can't do both?

A medium rare moose steak is harder to keep in your pocket for snacking on though.

:lol: if you don't have plastic-lined insulated hip pockets in your work pants (steak on the right, tater tots on the left).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lodewijk posted:

Is being an rear end in a top hat intentional as well?

Chill out a bit. Your ticket was about something being misspelled, I figured it was a joke that I missed.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Chill out a bit. Your ticket was about something being misspelled, I figured it was a joke that I missed.

Nah, I'm not that deep. ;-)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
One of our PMs are from Poland. She promised to bring back Black Boar Jerky when she goes visiting there next week. :toot:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Everything you post is wrong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Jerky takes a perfectly delicious piece of meat and turns it into slightly less delicious piece of meat that takes much longer to expire.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in:

quote:

The drive is no longer working

This is the extent of the ticket. After investigating a bit I learned that the user meant the back up drive for one of our dvr systems. It is no longer working because a new one was swapped in, and the new drive is, of course, formatted in NTFS. This matters because the DVR user manual states that "For proper backup, backup device shall be a well-known major formatted by FAT/FAT32".

What year is it? :ohdear:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Crowley posted:

One of our PMs are from Poland. She promised to bring back Black Boar Jerky when she goes visiting there next week. :toot:

I am so very jealous. Boar is amazing.
Moose is also great.
Elk and deer supremacy though.
But it does depend on what you are making/how you are cooking it.

Boar = bacon (seriously, try boar belly, oh gently caress me its amazing)
Deer = tenderloin/sausage/jerky
Elk = roast/sausage
Moose = Steaks and stew

Now I'm really hungry.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Crowley posted:

A ticket came in

Were those really 20 bucksUSD each? I guess it could be a trick of perspective that they seem not so large.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FaintlyQuaint posted:

A ticket came in:

This is the extent of the ticket. After investigating a bit I learned that the user meant the back up drive for one of our dvr systems. It is no longer working because a new one was swapped in, and the new drive is, of course, formatted in NTFS. This matters because the DVR user manual states that "For proper backup, backup device shall be a well-known major formatted by FAT/FAT32".

What year is it? :ohdear:

Hope none of your video files are over 4gb.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I just had a minor clusterfuck of events related to a user trying to fix a problem himself.

Remote user claims his VPN wouldn't connect, so he uninstalled and reinstalled the VPN client. When he tried to import his connection settings, it wouldn't import them. Then he tried to manually add the connection back, but was putting his own computer password in for the VPN key.

I step in and figure out his config file is corrupt. I replace the config file and the VPN still won't connect. Infamous "virtual driver not found" error. Go into the registry and rename the connection and have the user try to log in again. Now it's saying username or password incorrect.

He had his caps lock on. That's why it wouldn't connect in the first place.

He uninstalled his VPN client because he left his caps lock key on.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 9, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Since there's never any sane reason to use caps lock, can it be disabled somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A reply to a ticket came in:

"I have no idea who can help with this"

• Locked thread