Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Riosan posted:

No doubt they would pull the knives out on Saint Reagan himself.

E: Ryan was your VP nominee in 2012, so what the gently caress. What is happening in the House

It's partially the rules that require you basically to roll up a super majority of your party (218/247) and partially that the House GOP has gotten redder, as have their electorate. Like I think the majority of actual Republicans are still more or less inline with Mitt Romney's policy proposals, but the party has been hijacked by the extremists because of their unwillingness to make them face realty over the last six years. Now, emboldened by taking down two majority leaders and a speaker, they smell blood int he water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Riosan posted:

E: Ryan was your VP nominee in 2012, so what the gently caress. What is happening in the House

They're burning it down.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As per usual, the Onion got it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjonGtrCyVE

That's who they need to elect as speaker.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

@ChadPergram 42m42 minutes ago
Some conservatives already girding for battle to derail a potential Paul Ryan Speakership. Don't like his stance on immigration.

aahahahahaha good loving poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgflCE7zRpc

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Riosan posted:

No doubt they would pull the knives out on Saint Reagan himself.

End of earmarks. Time was, everyone's job was partially to secure pork for their district. If you crossed the speaker, you lost your pork.

Once the caucus put an end to earmarks, the speaker suddenly lost that leverage. Now, all he has are committee seats which are way less effective at coercing people - and impossible to use to bribe someone.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

evilweasel posted:

End of earmarks. Time was, everyone's job was partially to secure pork for their district. If you crossed the speaker, you lost your pork.

Once the caucus put an end to earmarks, the speaker suddenly lost that leverage. Now, all he has are committee seats which are way less effective at coercing people - and impossible to use to bribe someone.

I don't think this gets talked about enough, but yeah, ending earmarks basically broke congress.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Greg Sargent up with a good piece this morning illustrating just how bad this is playing for the House GOP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...trously-broken/

There was a story on NPR, I think, last night where they were talking about how Mitch and Boehner had talked about that their goal at the beginning of this congress was to show Americans that the GOP could effectively govern. It's going swimmingly.

I thought the average GOP voter wanted this type of dysfunctional inanity.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The average GOP primary voter does, or at least believes the bullshit their fed. The average GOP voter is probably more in line with forums poster Chris Christie.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The theory doesn't exactly hold up, as no one in the Freedom Caucus seems like they would have the tact to keep their mouths shut if they knew of such a thing.

I might be missing something, but it seems like McCarthy pulled out and then someone tactlessly (and idiotically) leaked the affair anyhow. Like "Freedom Caucus can't keep their mouths shut" sounds exactly like what happened. No rational politician would leak the affair anyhow because it makes future blackmail victims less likely to concede.

PostNouveau posted:

The Democrats wouldn't vote for anyone but Pelosi for speaker, but if they didn't vote at all, would the required number for a majority lower from 218? Could they just get a few concessions out of the next speaker and then all abstain to let them get elected with like 180 votes?

Yes. The Democrats all skipping out on the vote would lower the threshold needed - it's majority of members voting. Except of course that it only takes another majority to declare the Speaker's seat vacant so the Dems could turn around at ally with pissed-off Tea Partiers to boot a moderate speaker whenever they felt like it.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

evilweasel posted:

Worth pointing out that one of the demands of the Tea Coast people seems to be a significant lessening of the ability of the leadership to determine committee seats, which would clearly significantly reduce that power as well.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

A lot of their structural demands are good ideas and would make Congress more of a Congress and less of a parliament, but they're attached to a bunch of idiotic garbage and they would use their newfound power for blackest evil, soooooo.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Radish posted:

I thought the average GOP voter wanted this type of dysfunctional inanity.

Every single GOP politician wants the government to be extremely dysfunctional- only to the point where it doesn't hurt them in elections. They all just disagree on how to accomplish that and how much they care if it affects their majority.

The 40 Tea Party members turn up the crazy to the maximum because it will only make them more likely to be re-elected in their districts, at the expense of the other 200 GOP house members.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

Also the rise of non-party money in the form of groups like Heritage Action and the Kochs' Americans For Prosperity has played a big role. Used to be if you didn't step in line you would lose your access to the Party's campaign funds and access to the ability to raise your own but now the opposite it true - if you don't make yourself an active impediment to getting things done you will attacked by a 501(c) group while a primary challenger has millions poured into their campaign.

Earmarks were the carrots, money was the stick. Now there is no carrot and someone else has a bigger stick.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 9, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
According to Jake Sherman as the leadership conference began about 40 republicans snuck out to sign the export-import bank reauth lmao.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man the worst thing about the current situation is there's really no end in sight.

Equitable redrawing of congressional districts following the census?
Campaign finance reform?
Oh gently caress God Is Real and he smashes the Tortilla Coast restaurant with a meteor while the insurgent deep-red weirdos are in there?

What can end this (highly entertaining) madness?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think this gets talked about enough, but yeah, ending earmarks basically broke congress.

Not just that, but earmarks were used to fund projects Congressmen were interested in, like National Weather Service computers and equipment, etc.
I wonder if anyone realized just how critical they were to the functioning of our government. Who'd have guessed?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Monkey Fracas posted:

President Trump.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

President Trump.

Need a combination of :getin: and :unsmigghh: to illustrate how I feel about this

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1T94Wc6LyQ

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Monkey Fracas posted:

Equitable redrawing of congressional districts following the census?

This would help at least put a party willing to compromise in power. But given that I haven't heard anyone talking about a Democratic plan to retake the 15(!) states' legislatures (14 upper houses, 16 lower houses) that they've lost since Nov. 2010 I don't think this is happening until 2030 at the earliest.

So hang on, because we probably have another 15 years of this shitshow (with almost certainly at least one Republican president in power) ahead of us.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 9, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Need a combination of :getin: and :unsmigghh: to illustrate how I feel about this

:unsmigghh::hf::getin:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It really is amazing how 40 R+13 districts have the entire country under lockdown. Power to the people.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rygar201 posted:

A lot of their structural demands are good ideas and would make Congress more of a Congress and less of a parliament, but they're attached to a bunch of idiotic garbage and they would use their newfound power for blackest evil, soooooo.

I would think Congress not being a proper parliament is one of the root causes of the problem.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

We're basically going to have to deal with this until January 2023 at the earliest.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf2hT5p8cRc

The kids are the republicans.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dr. Tough posted:

We're basically going to have to deal with this until January 2023 at the earliest.

I mean, its possible if they gently caress around with this for long enough that, in a presidential year, the Democrats could make enough gains.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

nachos posted:

It really is amazing how 40 R+13 districts have the entire country under lockdown. Power to the people.

Remember it's really just the small fraction of people that are primary voters in those districts that are electing the guys that go on to win when the average voter just pulls R or D regardless of who is nominated.

I'd estimate it's like 2% of the population if even that that's causing this poo poo show because of how idiotic our system is.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

nachos posted:

God, if only the hard-core Dems could've pulled these kinds of stunts back around 2007-2009...

...then this whole mess would have started a lot sooner, of course. :sigh:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Riosan posted:

What is happening in the House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So how long until we get a literal, physical brawl in Congress? Like honestly I've been expecting something like this for a couple of years now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Also the rise of non-party money in the form of groups like Heritage Action and the Kochs' Americans For Prosperity has played a big role. Used to be if you didn't step in line you would lose your access to the Party's campaign funds and access to the ability to raise your own but now the opposite it true - if you don't make yourself an active impediment to getting things done you will attacked by a 501(c) group while a primary challenger has millions poured into their campaign.

Earmarks were the carrots, money was the stick. Now there is no carrot and someone else has a bigger stick.

I enjoy that the original meaning of "carrot and stick" approach was to use a stick to dangle a carrot in front of a donkey but it has morphed into beating the donkey with the stick.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I enjoy that the original meaning of "carrot and stick" approach was to use a stick to dangle a carrot in front of a donkey but it has morphed into beating the donkey with the stick.

Carrot & Stick has always referred to using a combination of incentives and disincentives to get what you want. The meaning has not changed since its first recorded usage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Has this been posted yet?

Trump: "I'm never dropping out."

quote:

Donald Trump has an answer for those asking when he would exit the race: Never.
"You know what I say right now? I give more of a political answer: I'm never getting out," Trump said in a telephone interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," days after an interview with NBC News' Chuck Todd in which he laid out a hypothetical scenario in which he would drop out of the race.

Also:

quote:

Trump also hinted on Friday that another Republican in the race is about to call it quits.
"Well, I'd rather not say, but I'm hearing one is going to be getting out very soon," Trump said in a telephone interview with MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "We have a number of them at zero, a number of them at one (in the polls). It must be awfully hard to go on like that. So, one I hear is getting out soon."
Asked if Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is going to exit the race soon, Trump said, "I do."

The word is that Rand's been getting a lot of pressure to drop his joke of a presidential bid in order to focus on his senate campaign. But so far he's been refusing.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Asked if Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is going to exit the race soon, Trump said, "I do."

I'm sure they actually asked "do you think Paul is going to exit soon," but I love how nonsensical this reads.

"Is Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is going to exit the race soon?"
"I do."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump's feud with Rand will never get old

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Couldn't the House or is it the Senate redraw districts. i thought I had read somewhere that one of the powers of congress was to draw up districting maps.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

Couldn't the House or is it the Senate redraw districts. i thought I had read somewhere that one of the powers of congress was to draw up districting maps.

Nope! That power belongs to the states, and right now 31 states have fully Republican legislatures, so good luck pushing the needle.

27 were Democratic before the 2010 elections.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Hollismason posted:

No, states can choose whatever crazy redistricting schemes they want. The only exception are violations of the constitution (so if a districting scheme violates peoples' civil rights, the federal government can intervene).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

evilweasel posted:

:eng101: Actually, "carrot and stick" means dangling the carrot in front of the donkey and hitting him with the stick.

I used to think the same thing, but the idiom actually isn't supposed to illustrate a cartoon scenario involving a fishing rod.

The idea is that you aggressively get somebody to do what you want by both enticing them with a reward and threatening them with retribution.

Kind of like 'an offer you can't refuse.'

E, fb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:eng101: Actually, "carrot and stick" means dangling the carrot in front of the donkey and hitting him with the stick.

I used to think the same thing, but the idiom actually isn't supposed to illustrate a cartoon scenario involving a fishing rod.

The idea is that you aggressively get somebody to do what you want by both enticing them with a reward and threatening them with retribution.

Kind of like 'an offer you can't refuse.'

E, fb.

Actually, everyone is right. There are just 2 idioms dealing with carrots and sticks: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/03/08/carrot_unstuck/

• Locked thread