Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Kashuno posted:

People are scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you make effort cases, you're trying too hard, and are thus scum. If you don't make effort, you're scum.

e:f;b

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I take the easy route and just revel in scumminess regardless of my alignment.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I only ever get lynched as scum or town because people convince themselves I'm scum before opening the thread.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I just spend a year establishing an airtight meta for myself so that I don't have to make effort, I just have to post a lot.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

merk posted:

I only ever get lynched as scum or town because people convince themselves I'm scum before opening the thread.

But aren't you a lawyer?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 27, 2020

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

Or just want to get you lynched as I recently did :D

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I once got out of a speeding ticket by telling the cop I was a lawyer.

Aren't you actually a lawyer too?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

merk posted:

With posts like this, I have no idea why!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

This is patently untrue

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 27, 2020

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

This is patently untrue

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734881&userid=37071&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post449427676

Ecco posted:

merk, Aldonza Ibañez, Angler (town-aligned vanilla), was executed day 2.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

IMF is very real. it's up there with with ecconoia ("ecco paranoia," or, "ecco annoys ya," whichever).

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
You got lynched there because I, as Scum, was able to craft a strong case against you and persuade people that you were likely Scum based on your posting and playing, which, in that game, was very Scummy because you kept self-consciously excusing yourself from participating and making lame excuses for lurking and disengaging.
In addition, on D1 you had cased Townies and defended Scums, and helped to end the day in a mislynch.
You earned your lynch that game, and you're delusional if you think it was due to preconceived bias. You're a good player but not invincible and not always on your A game.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Like Ecco or Mills, Merk can very much be a victim of his reputation.

I'm surprised more people aren't, honestly.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm a mix of both reputation and willingness to live up to it

That said, merk is hilariously silly for arguing that his meta shouldn't be used against him when it helps the hell out of him 95% of the time.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

it disadvantages town to lynch Ecco and Merk early anyway because they're much better town than scum players

I can't speak to mills' relative skills

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still incredibly bad at this game. I was ok when I first started, mainly just lucking my way through, but really only 1 out of 7 cases I make are actually correct. I'm horrendous at reading people. On the other hand I post a lot and genuinely do try I just don't know what I should be looking for, find evidence that makes sense only to me, and I to top it off I don't care enough to try to correct these things. I just like playing with people I like.

I think I'm generally more successful as scum than town if only because I am always wrong either way. I'm just really bad at end gaming as scum if I'm the only one left or with other players who're also at my skill level.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Kashuno posted:

People who make big long effort cases are scum.

Rarity posted:

Trying hard is for chumps. Most mafia players are turned off by effort cases, you're more likely to get what you want from being assertive with succinct cases.

I dunno, I almost exclusively deal in effort-cases and I'm usually read as town. :) Regardless of if I'm right or wrong (or lying), I find cases to be stronger when the train of thought that led me to the case is presented in full. I'm always aware that people might skip/skim over my walls of text, but if a case is strong it usually holds up over time.

I took a two-month break from Mafia and this discussion is making me want to play again. :argh:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I am without fail, the most anti-town player in any game I play. It's easier all around if you just assume that if I'm scum if I haven't been lynched by Day 3.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Tremendous Taste posted:

it disadvantages town to lynch Ecco and Merk early anyway because they're much better town than scum players

I can't speak to mills' relative skills

This is my take.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am actually better as scum than town but cops keep investigating me for funsies, it's v. annoying.

my ideal role would be stump.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

son mafia has ended vaguely. TMM won the most and I lost the most

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not even the best at replacing out any more. :saddowns:

Someone else tell me what my play is like, because I have no clue.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm not even the best at replacing out any more. :saddowns:

Someone else tell me what my play is like, because I have no clue.

my comments before my untimely death in neighbor mafia were sincere.

they were all sincere (save for calling gamer scum, take that out and it becomes sincere as well)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I am actually better as scum than town but cops keep investigating me for funsies, it's v. annoying.

my ideal role would be stump.

sorry :glomp:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

my comments before my untimely death in neighbor mafia were sincere.

they were all sincere (save for calling gamer scum, take that out and it becomes sincere as well)
Sorry if I don't give "you dunked me for the wrong reasons" much credit.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Everybody thinks I'm scummy all the time. This is because I am scum IRL.

I tend not to get executed though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CCKeane posted:

Everybody thinks I'm scummy all the time. This is because I am scum IRL.

I tend not to get executed though.

I won't execute you, but I'll stand idly by while you are, Colonel Custer Keane.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like being 3P.

None of the pressure of being scum while also not really caring too much if you are wrong in your cases.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Poison Mushroom posted:

Sorry if I don't give "you dunked me for the wrong reasons" much credit.

if you keep getting hooked up by that and not at the process you'll never get better at the game. your method of hunting me wasn't effective and would have gotten you voted out instead had gamer not melted down.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I like 3P because (at least the times I have been 3P) you don't have teammates so you have nobody to let down. You can just gently caress around and if you die, you die. No big deal.

It's kind of like playing a way better team in any sport. If you lose, you were supposed to lose. If you win, it's hilarious and awesome and cool, regardless of if you actually earned it or not.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I like 3P because (at least the times I have been 3P) you don't have teammates so you have nobody to let down. You can just gently caress around and if you die, you die. No big deal.

It's kind of like playing a way better team in any sport. If you lose, you were supposed to lose. If you win, it's hilarious and awesome and cool, regardless of if you actually earned it or not.

Exactly.

The odds are stacked against you, so whatever just go have fun!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rarity posted:

Who would I be capps I must know!

lol Emily Aster lol

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I want to play a 3p at some point because I think it'd be fun. Being scum is pretty fun, but after two times I liked the second time better because I was sort of solo since section 31 and keane were lurking pretty hard.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I want to play a 3p at some point because I think it'd be fun. Being scum is pretty fun, but after two times I liked the second time better because I was sort of solo since section 31 and keane were lurking pretty hard.

The game opened and closed in the space of hours dude, come on.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Can't post in this 12 hour stretch? LOL LURKER

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Oh no, that was another game, this was the game where I was hurrying along with wedding busy for a friend.

Lurking call out is fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

IF A BIT RUDE