Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Couldn't the House or is it the Senate redraw districts. i thought I had read somewhere that one of the powers of congress was to draw up districting maps.
These posts are sort of right but not really:

30.5 Days posted:

No, states can choose whatever crazy redistricting schemes they want. The only exception are violations of the constitution (so if a districting scheme violates peoples' civil rights, the federal government can intervene).

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Nope! That power belongs to the states, and right now 31 states have fully Republican legislatures, so good luck pushing the needle.

27 were Democratic before the 2010 elections.

The relevant part of the Constitution is:

quote:

The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each state by the legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by law make or alter such regulations, except as to the places of choosing Senators.
(Article I, Section 4)

Under this power Congress has mandated single-member districts. Congress could alter that. I'm sure it would provoke a legal challenge and wind up being decided by if there were still five Republicans on the Supreme Court, but there is very solid legal backing for Congress to step in and mandate changes to how districts are drawn - or if they exist at all. I believe Congress would be well within its rights to mandate specific methods for districting or simply require that representatives be elected on a statewide basis by proportional representation. I think it would need to be a law though - the House can't do it on its own, it's got to be passed by the House and the Senate and signed by the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Want to be speaker of the house?

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/6/8150437/boehner-game

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Ryan spox to NBC News: "Chairman Ryan appreciates the support he's getting from his colleagues but is still not running for Speaker."

CHAOS REIGNS

there is now no solution for the Republicans besides (a) keeping Boehner or (b) begging the Democrats to help

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

CHAOS REIGNS

Yeah, I could see them electing Chaos as speaker.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

evilweasel posted:

(Article I, Section 4)

Under this power Congress has mandated single-member districts. Congress could alter that. I'm sure it would provoke a legal challenge and wind up being decided by if there were still five Republicans on the Supreme Court, but there is very solid legal backing for Congress to step in and mandate changes to how districts are drawn - or if they exist at all. I believe Congress would be well within its rights to mandate specific methods for districting or simply require that representatives be elected on a statewide basis by proportional representation. I think it would need to be a law though - the House can't do it on its own, it's got to be passed by the House and the Senate and signed by the President.

Ah yes. I'd forgotten that old chestnut which came up during the Arizona redistributing case last term.

Of course getting Congress to actually pass legislation relating to that is another matter entirely.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

evilweasel posted:

(Article I, Section 4)

Yeah i knew it was some weird trick that US State Legislatures don't want you to know

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

showbiz_liz posted:

So how long until we get a literal, physical brawl in Congress? Like honestly I've been expecting something like this for a couple of years now.

I was hopeful, but that goon from Staten Island who, on camera, threatened to throw a reporter off the rotunda balcony has since resigned in disgrace, and for all their bluster most of the rest of the GOP blowhards are merely that, so we'll have a while to wait I suspect.

EDIT: Got my horrible NY islands mixed up.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 9, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah....it happened again. :smith:

(Doesn't look to be ideologically motivated, at least.)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

CHAOS REIGNS

there is now no solution for the Republicans besides (a) keeping Boehner or (b) begging the Democrats to help

:newt:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I was hopeful, but that goon from Long Island who, on camera, threatened to throw a reporter off the rotunda balcony has since resigned in disgrace, and for all their bluster most of the rest of the GOP blowhards are merely that, so we'll have a while to wait I suspect.

That was Staten Island, not Long Island. Staten Island is also the very same place that decided to reward the DA that let the cops who killed Eric Garner go, by giving him Grimm's old seat. Staten Island is all pretty much over privileged, racist whites. This place is loving awful, they should sink the ferry, blow the bridges and napalm the island till nothing is left

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

So how long until we get a literal, physical brawl in Congress? Like honestly I've been expecting something like this for a couple of years now.

We all know this can only be resolved in one way

KONGRESS KOMBAT

Whoever wins is now The Speaker, their position earned by blood

FIGHT

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

KomradeX posted:

That was Staten Island, not Long Island. Staten Island is also the very same place that decided to reward the DA that let the cops who killed Eric Garner go, by giving him Grimm's old seat. Staten Island is all pretty much over privileged, racist whites. This place is loving awful, they should sink the ferry, blow the bridges and napalm the island till nothing is left

My bad, fixed now.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I have a conspiracy theory about Staten Island - the fact that it's so difficult to get there from the other boroughs means it can remain a conservative stronghold, because it would be too inconvenient to gentrify it. If there were more frequent ferries to more locations, and/or a subway, Staten Island would look like Hipster Brooklyn inside ten years.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

KONGRESS KOMBAT

FIGHT

Say hello to the Speakernator

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Monkey Fracas posted:

KONGRESS KOMBAT

FIGHT

I'm waiting for 2016 version with updated moveset for Trump.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pox posted:

What about Dennis Hastert? He has the necessary experience and knows how to wrangle children.

Catching up with the thread.....and holy hell this

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah....it happened again. :smith:

(Doesn't look to be ideologically motivated, at least.)

The news earlier said it happened after a confrontation between some students.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

30.5 Days posted:

No, states can choose whatever crazy redistricting schemes they want. The only exception are violations of the constitution (so if a districting scheme violates peoples' civil rights, the federal government can intervene).

Texas discovered one weird trick. If they make you redistrict you've already had the vote, that election still counts! Draw up racist lines and they make you redistrict. If you do this every single year, guess what? You get to gerrymander every year instead of every ten years!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It would take an absolutely insane situation for Congress to step in and override a state's redistricting. I don't even think a state abandoning popular voting for House members and having the state legislature selecting their reps would be enough to trigger it.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

KomradeX posted:

His district also included my neighborhood of Bay Ridge, which is in Brooklyn. So technically he was both :words:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

I have a conspiracy theory about Staten Island - the fact that it's so difficult to get there from the other boroughs means it can remain a conservative stronghold, because it would be too inconvenient to gentrify it. If there were more frequent ferries to more locations, and/or a subway, Staten Island would look like Hipster Brooklyn inside ten years.

Well DeBlasio (which always be careful who you bring him up to on Staten Island unless you want to hear about how him and "his dyke wife" hate cops and are destroying the city) is having the ferry run every half hour 24/7 which is nice. But they're trying to gentrify The North Shore of the island what with ask these condos they've got planned, a huge shopping mall on the water front and big gently caress off ferris wheel like the one in. London.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

It's worth listening to Carson on Marketplace today. Kai fucks his poo poo up.

edit:

Ryssdal: With respect, sir, you didn't answer the question. What are you not gonna do? It's easy to say trim fat, it's easy to say 3 to 4 percent reduction, but rejecting the premise of the question isn't answering the question.

Ryssdal: I'm gonna try one more time, sir. This is debt that's already obligated. Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Ryssdal: I'm really trying not to be circular here, Dr. Carson, but if you're not gonna raise the debt limit and you're not gonna give specifics on what you're gonna cut, then how are we going to know what you are going to do as president of the United States?

Ryssdal: Yes. You keep saying we're doing things in the government we don't need to do, but when I ask you what you're gonna stop doing, you don't tell me.

Ryssdal: Explain to me a little bit how people are second-class citizens. You've compared the Affordable Care Act to slavery, sir.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy

Still can't be as brutal as him and Rumsfeld.

http://www.marketplace.org/node/92156/player/storyplayer

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think my favorite part of that Freedom Caucus demands list was the euphemistic use of the word Conservative, in reference to representation on committees and elsewhere. Not just any old Republican, but a proper, Conservative one. Who gets to decide who's a True Conservative or not, you ask? Don't worry, the Freedom Caucus will know.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh man proportional representation would be so good.

Individual members not being so personally accountable and free to not fear being primaried for being a decent human being, and the parties themselves being held much more accountable for the actions of their caucus.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

"It's easier to get into something than get out if it"

Ha ha ah

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shifty Pony posted:

It would take an absolutely insane situation for Congress to step in and override a state's redistricting. I don't even think a state abandoning popular voting for House members and having the state legislature selecting their reps would be enough to trigger it.

That actually WOULD be unconstitutional, under Article I, Section 2:

quote:

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

In other news:

The ACLU intends to start doing something about the gently caress barrel, starting in Benton County, Washington.

Rick Snyder's emergency managers are really helping the children of Flint!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

nachos posted:

It really is amazing how 40 R+13 districts have the entire country under lockdown. Power to the people.

It doesn't really need to be R+13. An extremist could get into an R+5 seat in a year like 2010 or 2014 and be relatively safe. Primaries from the center are pretty hard and it would take a miracle or decent-sized scandal to dislodge a Republican in an R+5. Once you get a few cycles in as an incumbent, you've usually got enough constituent services reputation, positive in-district publicity, and a large enough political machine to be relatively safe.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@scottbix: Three GOP Hill staffers in the past hour have told me that they're expecting McCarthy's resignation by Monday. Rep. Ellmers, too.

:munch:

Also, expect Kasich's numbers to rise after this exchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMN2Whn9DNg

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I really am Boehner, I bumbled my way into his strategy from earlier this year and got "You succeeded, but it wasn't pretty."

:newt:

The game also pretends that an extended shutdown would backfire horribly on the GOP which is kind of adorable and optimistic.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 9, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

CHAOS REIGNS

CNN is reporting he's telling members he's thinking about it. So I guess it didn't take six months after all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If I were Ryan I wouldn't go near this thing. It's pretty much political seppuku for someone with higher aspirations who is already an extremely powerful House member.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If I were Ryan I wouldn't go near this thing. It's pretty much political seppuku for someone with higher aspirations who is already an extremely powerful House member.

@CostaReport: Westmoreland on his latest convo w/ Ryan: “I encouraged him. He just smiled.”

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 9, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Riosan posted:

No doubt they would pull the knives out on Saint Reagan himself.

E: Ryan was your VP nominee in 2012, so what the gently caress. What is happening in the House

The omnicide caucus is feeling their oats. Ryan wasn't their VP after all. We are in interesting times, and it is glorious.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He clearly has no interest in the role. I think what he may be contemplating is if he can even keep his other ambitions while turning it down - he'd face a real risk of being blamed for the chaos for being unwilling to step up - and potentially if being begged into the speakership gives him the ability to avoid the Freedom Caucus demands (not likely).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Has there been any discussion about going outside the House for a Speaker?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

He clearly has no interest in the role. I think what he may be contemplating is if he can even keep his other ambitions while turning it down - he'd face a real risk of being blamed for the chaos for being unwilling to step up - and potentially if being begged into the speakership gives him the ability to avoid the Freedom Caucus demands (not likely).

As this drags on an on and gets worse and worse and things get more and more dire for the party, I don't see how he resists becoming Republican Cincinnatus and saving their asses. The pressure from his colleagues has got to be immense.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

evilweasel posted:

Amazing how it's always everyone but the hostage taker who gets the blame for situations spiraling out of control

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

Has there been any discussion about going outside the House for a Speaker?

There has. From Newt Gingrich.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Oh man proportional representation would be so good.

Individual members not being so personally accountable and free to not fear being primaried for being a decent human being, and the parties themselves being held much more accountable for the actions of their caucus.

Should probably also increase the number of representatives too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what's the McCarthy-Ellmers thing everyone's talking about

• Locked thread