Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Dirk the Average posted:

Couple of quick questions:

1. Was that actually the HoS, or just a person wearing a jumpsuit/beret/voicechanger/whateverthefuck?

2. If the answer to 1. is that it very definitely was the HoS and most certainly was not someone else in disguise, was the HoS mindslaved?

I addressed the second point in the post, no, double-checked on the mindslave. He was definitely the HoS, no mask of any sort and responded OOC when I brought it up after. Used stun on burning people set afire by a guy who has heat resist and is burning, get lasered to death while down and after not dropping a flamethrower and not having the known name of the guy burning people. Get belittled by admin for bringing it up and calling it the bullshit it is. No response period to adminhelp.

Re: population chat, the few years preceding this one have really been on average 10 players more than the current pop numbers. What does summer ending have to do with people playing? If anything population should be increasing due to cold weather and people staying inside.

Just seems if you manage to land in the sweet HoS clique admins will ignore you or outright be hostile for trying to get anything done by being hosed over as an innocent (read: non-antag) player. Then dealing with the couple tryhard vigilantes who run around just waiting to glimpse a traitor item so they can murder with impunity. Like, I appreciate the positions of some of the coders and admins but it really seems like they haven't been seeing the server over this 6-ish month decline in gameplay quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houka
Mar 27, 2014

MrSmokes posted:

I actually completely agree with all of this. Goonstation has the best features and best lag management of any ss13 server. The coders really are amazing. But the players have been worse than ever for over a year now. Almost no one is even funny anymore and good gimmicks are rare. It's just a ton of people who want to get the best gear and all access every round. Certain players can get away with just about anything because they're popular. I wouldn't be surprised if certain cliques just use skype and tell each other where the antags are if they get killed. It's not like anyone could prove they were doing it.

:psyduck:

And where can I sign up for this illustrious goonstation Skype to tryhard it up? I feel left out!!!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Houka posted:

And where can I sign up for this illustrious goonstation Skype to tryhard it up? I feel left out!!!

Tryouts are every tuesday in the owlery at 8:00pm GMT. See you there!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Justin Credible posted:

I addressed the second point in the post, no, double-checked on the mindslave. He was definitely the HoS, no mask of any sort and responded OOC when I brought it up after. Used stun on burning people set afire by a guy who has heat resist and is burning, get lasered to death while down and after not dropping a flamethrower and not having the known name of the guy burning people. Get belittled by admin for bringing it up and calling it the bullshit it is. No response period to adminhelp.

Re: population chat, the few years preceding this one have really been on average 10 players more than the current pop numbers. What does summer ending have to do with people playing? If anything population should be increasing due to cold weather and people staying inside.

I'm pretty sure like every game ever gets increased players in the summer because anyone still in school is out for the summer. When I was in college I played a ton more video games in the summer than any other time.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Houka posted:

You act like nobody's ever cheated in SS13 and gotten banned for it before. As long as the players were smart and spoke in game a lot, how would anyone ever notice, especially when there's 40 or more people on? Don't see what's so crazy about that.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I don't really think the playerbase has been getting worse, it's just that minor annoyances are amplified the less people there are on. As the playerbase shrinks, the people less dedicated to the game and in it for the chaos and shenanigans get bored and drop off, and the core playerbase reduces to the people most dedicated - and most intense - about the game. Granted, I wouldn't say none of the claims hold water - there's definitely a certain subset of people who enter the round expecting to dominate the station one way or the other, and react to any obstruction by throwing a tantrum and messing up other people's rounds/ suiciding. I don't think they cross the line into anything outright rule-breaking, though.

As for chemchat, all I'll say is that for the few rounds I played yesterday, quark-gluon plasma made an appearance in most of them.

E: As for the claims of metagaming re: antags, I sincerely doubt it's a common occurrence. On most rounds I play as the AI, when antags who actually play low-key are caught, it's usually due to Sec actually putting in detective work/the antag slipping up and someone tipping sec off without announcing it all over the radio so they have time to flee. Plus most of the remaining playerbase is very good at staying alive when they want to. There's a good amount of ways to tip off people that goes unseen - from the AI quietly PDA messaging sec, to someone cloning one of the victims and having them go 'watch out for the dude that killed me'.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 9, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also requires sec to be bothered to run a cat and mouse game with antags instead of the much more rewarding ticketing gamaplay.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
:shrug: there is rarely less than 20 people on when I play and mostly everyone seems to be either cooperative or at least in it to have some fun :shrug:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah. The community is pretty solid.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So just to confirm, next time I get a warning PM I can respond to to it with *tips beret* and get away with it? Neat.

Houka
Mar 27, 2014

MrSmokes posted:

You act like nobody's ever cheated in SS13 and gotten banned for it before. As long as the players were smart and spoke in game a lot, how would anyone ever notice, especially when there's 40 or more people on? Don't see what's so crazy about that.

OK.

I still think it's a dumb conspiracy theorist reaction to having a bad time with a few problem players.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So just to confirm, next time I get a warning PM I can respond to to it with *tips beret* and get away with it? Neat.

Thing is, you get a warning for stuff regular players get slain/banned for. And just to clarify I don't think there is any sort of 'conspiracy'(lol), it's just the cliquey nature of things that can develop of which Goonstation in the not too distant past has been full of. This is well documented and it's foolish to think it can't happen again, even if you don't believe it is now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So to summarise: you died, you're mad, so we all must be dirty cheaters.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Justin Credible posted:

Thing is, you get a warning for stuff regular players get slain/banned for. And just to clarify I don't think there is any sort of 'conspiracy'(lol), it's just the cliquey nature of things that can develop of which Goonstation in the not too distant past has been full of. This is well documented and it's foolish to think it can't happen again, even if you don't believe it is now.
Do you have the documentation of this happening before? I'm curious which players were in said clique and what they got away with.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Add a word filter to the game that replaces clique with "The La Li Lu Le Lo"

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
I've gotten away with stuff I should have at least gotten a warning for lately so yeah I'd have to agree that things have been a bit lax

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Nakar posted:

Do you have the documentation of this happening before? I'm curious which players were in said clique and what they got away with.

It's mainly stories about badmins and secret weapon stashes used to murder antags, and lackies getting away with whatever if they sucked up. It's been a while since I heard them but it was all sever chatter and probably some forums posts by much older school people than me. Additionally, cliques exist everywhere it just ends up being lovely when it's a game with pretty strict rules on stuff like murdering and otherwise removing people from the game as a non-antag. I'm hardly the first example of an overzealous HoS murdering people and going 'Oops lol I'm a murderer' and continuing to go around blasting first and asking questions never. Would just be nice if having that beret wasn't a ticket to get away with poo poo you bet regular players would get smacked down in-round and possibly banned for, as long as you have the most tenuous of excuses, oh hey whatever lol skrub git good.

Poland Spring posted:

I've gotten away with stuff I should have at least gotten a warning for lately so yeah I'd have to agree that things have been a bit lax
Thanks for that. People are always going to see what they can get away with in terms of maliciousness or just carelessness and a desire to murder, it would just be nice if the beret wasn't constantly given the benefit of the doubt regardless of circumstances. Sucks hard as a player when an admin won't even respond to the help to get clarification on what happened but will be happy to say snide snarky poo poo and berate you based on your notes and whatever personal opinion they have of you. It's not like notes ever get added 'This person went along with a gimmick, did a fun one, tries to help in game', it's only whatever negative aspects have happened over a few years of playing. Pretty sad when an admin doesn't even have the balls to talk to you one on one about anything.

e- Not trying to specifically call anyone out or create drama around this instance, more trying to make an overall point on the current state of things as I see them through the lens of this particular example. I could be totally wrong about this all, just hope what I was trying to convey came out clearly.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 9, 2015

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Dabir posted:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Dabir posted:

I wasn't mad, and I haven't even gotten antag very much these past few months. I probably shouldn't have brought up the cheating stuff anyway, because there's no way to prove it and people will just say you're mad if you bring it up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Justin Credible posted:

I haven't played much over the last few months so you might be right, but in my experience, I got more scrutiny after being HoS'd, not less. Maybe that's changed :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrSmokes posted:

I wasn't mad, and I haven't even gotten antag very much these past few months. I probably shouldn't have brought up the cheating stuff anyway, because there's no way to prove it and people will just say you're mad if you bring it up.

Yeah you mad.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would be mad too if the HoS went around and killed people for being on fire.

On the other hand if I were on fire and filled with murder-chems it wouldn't matter much if at all.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Justin Credible posted:

It's mainly stories about badmins and secret weapon stashes used to murder antags, and lackies getting away with whatever if they sucked up. It's been a while since I heard them but it was all sever chatter and probably some forums posts by much older school people than me.

Mport was shitcanned years ago and his history of that, and making a bunch of "tactical" poo poo in the game for his use alone has become the subject of a bunch of jokes. The MPRT bazooka that the syndicates get is explicitly mocking him and that behaviour. :ssh:

Edit: And regarding your point on notes, I've got a positive note about me being a good AI. :shobon:

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Wow the thread has alot of new posts lets see what they are! oh... :negative:

As one of the oldest hos players still playing, why didn't anyone tell me about the secret hos jerk club!! :mad:

There are an absolute glut of hos's now, i highly doubt all of them get preferential treatment, or it would totally be noticeable.

R.E. chem chat: i'm not sure I ever really agreed with stuff like raj and initrobeedril etc being makeable, i'd be quite happy to see those be traitor bottle only. Ni3 was neat and its a shame a chemical that had the potential for some clever uses got run into the ground by a few dorks, but there we go!

Not so sure about the randomised chemistry myself. Want to make stypic? nope sorry this round one of the chemicals you need can only be found in a super obscure place!
Want to make pentinic acid? nope sorry this round you made azide and blew off your limbs, better luck next time!
Trying to make some simple neurotoxin for your sleepy pen? Nope sorry this round that's gonna take a vast amount of effort

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Matty posted:

Not so sure about the randomised chemistry myself. Want to make stypic? nope sorry this round one of the chemicals you need can only be found in a super obscure place!
Want to make pentinic acid? nope sorry this round you made azide and blew off your limbs, better luck next time!
Trying to make some simple neurotoxin for your sleepy pen? Nope sorry this round that's gonna take a vast amount of effort

Randomized chemistry would just make the whole department worthless because an RNG is never fair and will take every opportunity to gently caress up anyone stuck using one.

Plus anything good takes up to 20 minutes to put together anyway.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Dabir posted:

Yeah you mad.

Nope.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Calm down bro.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Let's do the only reasonable thing and make Chemistry accessible only to two people: the HoS and the Clown. Surely this can only end well.

Dabir posted:

Calm down bro.

Would you two just get a room already?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Randomized chemistry would just make the whole department worthless because an RNG is never fair and will take every opportunity to gently caress up anyone stuck using one.

Plus anything good takes up to 20 minutes to put together anyway.

Randomized recipes would be insane. Randomized placement of key chems on the other hand...

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Justin Credible posted:

stuff about HoS thing
I wasn't active at the time but looking at my IRC logs, I see your adminhelps about the HoS and I think you may have mistaken "no admins were active and/or had the energy to deal with admin stuff when you ahelped" for "we didn't care about what the HoS was doing because they were something something preferential treatment"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boiled Water posted:

Randomized recipes would be insane. Randomized placement of key chems on the other hand...

That would last all of a week before the hellchemists locked down each and every spawn location.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

Haine posted:

I wasn't active at the time but looking at my IRC logs, I see your adminhelps about the HoS and I think you may have mistaken "no admins were active and/or had the energy to deal with admin stuff when you ahelped" for "we didn't care about what the HoS was doing because they were something something preferential treatment"

How dare admins not be available to answer ahelps 24/7, this is clearly preferential treatment!! :bahgawd:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Kill all hellchemists. :)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Chem doesn't need to be randomized, there just needs to be much more care taken in the recipes for powerful stuff. Chemistry basically follows a cycle:

1. Some admin messing around with recipes decides to make a powerful chem makeable from some other rare chems, doesn't fuss too much about it because it's a secret thing they didn't reveal that requires rarely-seen chems in a complex recipe
2. Some chem nerd eventually discovers it, maybe tells a couple of their buddies, and starts deeply anaylzing the recipe for the most optimal way to make it
3. Within a week, at least three people have figured how to make enough to kill the station within fifteen minutes of round start
4. They immediately drive it into the loving ground by rushing that chem and killing as many people as possible with it every single time they get a traitor round
5. People complain endlessly about it
6. Someone leaks the recipe to the public
7. For the next couple of days, every single person who gets a good excuse makes the chem and uses it, just to try it out
8. Admins declare it "overused", immediately change the recipe to something designed to be impossible to make quickly
9. Chem nerds whine that the chem is useless now because it takes so long to make that the shuttle will probably get called before they can start their hell-rampage
10. The chem is essentially never seen again because there are much simpler ways to kill people
11. A few months later, the whole thing has largely been forgotten, and some admin starts tinkering with chems again. Go to Step 1.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
how about make more chems that are more funny than fatal when abused, there's already plenty of loving ways to explode,be on fire, or be poisoned thank you very much

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Turns out the person being complained about wasn't even a regular HoS. It was casual Friday, the time when mentors are also eligible for HoS.

Then again, I'm sure it was just the "horrible mentor circlejerk" rearing its ugly face.

Poland Spring posted:

how about make more chems that are more funny than fatal when abused, there's already plenty of loving ways to explode,be on fire, or be poisoned thank you very much

I'm always keen on cool ideas for chems. Let's hear some fun non-lethal chems that could be implemented.

Spy_Guy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 9, 2015

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
The IRC logs clearly show that JS10 (Justin's key) wasn't even responded to as no-one was around.

Which admin belittled you?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

detach Chemistry from the station and shoot it into the nearest star

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Name and shame! Who's the HoS that was making GBS threads things up that round?

• Locked thread