Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man the worst thing about the current situation is there's really no end in sight.

Equitable redrawing of congressional districts following the census?
Campaign finance reform?
Oh gently caress God Is Real and he smashes the Tortilla Coast restaurant with a meteor while the insurgent deep-red weirdos are in there?

What can end this (highly entertaining) madness?

Americans realizing that conservatism as a concept is deeply broken. So nothing, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DOOP posted:

So what's with the McCarthy-Ellmers thing everyone's talking about

They did it, rumors swirling he's gonna resign over it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DOOP posted:

So what's the McCarthy-Ellmers thing everyone's talking about

Thy're having an affair and rumor has it there's enough evidence they may be forced to resign.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

evilweasel posted:

Thy're having an affair and rumor has it there's enough evidence they may be forced to resign.

Is there a House rule against loving or is it just optics of having an affair. (I'm assuming one or both are married)

If two single congresspeople did it, would anyone care/get in trouble/resign?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

As this drags on an on and gets worse and worse and things get more and more dire for the party, I don't see how he resists becoming Republican Cincinnatus and saving their asses. The pressure from his colleagues has got to be immense.

How ambitious is Ryan? I honestly don't know if he would be willing to make his own life miserable and sacrifice future ambitions to save the party. Boehner was content to be speaker so he could ignore the impact his decisions had on a potential senate or presidential run.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

DOOP posted:

Is there a House rule against loving or is it just optics of having an affair. (I'm assuming one or both are married)

Just the optics, at least here in America. In France, affairs are seen as normal especially among the elites and when politicians have them it doesn't seem to hurt their ratings much.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Should probably also increase the number of representatives too though.

While we're at it allow them to just telephone in their votes and handle committee by telecom and just stay in their office in their district so they don't live a block away from every lobbyist in the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're both married, and social values Republicans think premarital sex is a sin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man the worst thing about the current situation is there's really no end in sight.

Equitable redrawing of congressional districts following the census?
Campaign finance reform?
Oh gently caress God Is Real and he smashes the Tortilla Coast restaurant with a meteor while the insurgent deep-red weirdos are in there?

What can end this (highly entertaining) madness?

If the Democrats take the House in 2020 or following the census and manage to have complete control of the government, I expect they will force through a repeal of the anti-deficiency act or modify it in such a way that shutdowns can't occur, and eliminate the debt limit legislatively (instead of just House rules that automatically raise it). They should, but I doubt they will, end gerrymandering as a practice because it's always going to work against them naturally (due to urban areas being more strongly Democratic than rural areas are Republican) as well.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I would be a little skeptical of those rumors.

quote:

Ellmers was referring to emails sent to dozens of Republican lawmakers recently by Steve Baer, a Chicago-based GOP donor, claiming the two Republican lawmakers were engaged in a romantic relationship.

Baer is a controversial figure who has regularly emailed Republican lawmakers. According to a profile in National Review, Baer sent an email to Republicans after the 2013 government shutdown that said, “Now let us dine on RINO flesh,” referring to the phrase “Republicans in name only.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been taking it as read but would Ryan even be a sure bet for Speaker? People were pretty confident about McCarthy last week.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Antti posted:

I really am Boehner, I bumbled my way into his strategy from earlier this year and got "You succeeded, but it wasn't pretty."

:newt:

The game also pretends that an extended shutdown would backfire horribly on the GOP which is kind of adorable and optimistic.

It would be. Short term shutdowns have played very poorly for them, a long-term one would be crippling. Let alone default.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Steve Baer is MIGF

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Somehow this House GOP meltdown is all Hillary Clinton's fault. I suggest a Permanent Select Committee be empaneled to investigate. Speakerghazi must be exposed to the American people.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

I've been taking it as read but would Ryan even be a sure bet for Speaker? People were pretty confident about McCarthy last week.

I posted earlier, I think the Freedom folks could have some concerns with his positions on immigration and that he's part and parcel owned by the establishment and might be even more likely to deal with Democrats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I posted earlier, I think the Freedom folks could have some concerns with his positions on immigration and that he's part and parcel owned by the establishment and might be even more likely to deal with Democrats.

I agree but actually being dangled over the pit while all their political foes popped bottles might have served as a wakeup call on this particular issue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It would be. Short term shutdowns have played very poorly for them, a long-term one would be crippling. Let alone default.

specifically since the shut down would start 2 weeks before Christmas, and knowing how awful the GOP is, go at least through Christmas.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

Not a sure bet, but he has more credibility than most of the establishment types as a True Believer. If he can't win though, there is literally nobody who can win.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

DOOP posted:

Two singles would depend on the party and the cant. Your Dems'd be fine, especially if it was outside of work. Repubs'd have to get married sooner rather than later. If it was two dudes or ladies they'd for sure have to get married with a quickness.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If the blame sticks squarely on their shoulders, yeah. And if it's not too far out from an actual election. But we're in a situation where there's that core 40% of people who will vote Republican regardless of what they actually do.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Antti posted:

If the blame sticks squarely on their shoulders, yeah. And if it's not too far out from an actual election. But we're in a situation where there's that core 40% of people who will vote Republican regardless of what they actually do.

Yes, which was the conceit.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
If this is the prophesied split though, then the base divides and the world changes for the better.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A shutdown would be particularly damaging because the Presidential Election starts in earnest soon so people pay more attention to politics, and there's a specific person to blame. And the Republican Party really can't afford to lose this election because the next Supreme Court nominee can end the solid conservative majority on the Supreme Court.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

A shutdown would be particularly damaging because the Presidential Election starts in earnest soon so people pay more attention to politics, and there's a specific person to blame. And the Republican Party really can't afford to lose this election because the next Supreme Court nominee can end the solid conservative majority on the Supreme Court.

insha'allah

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

If the Democrats take the House in 2020 or following the census and manage to have complete control of the government, I expect they will force through a repeal of the anti-deficiency act or modify it in such a way that shutdowns can't occur, and eliminate the debt limit legislatively (instead of just House rules that automatically raise it). They should, but I doubt they will, end gerrymandering as a practice because it's always going to work against them naturally (due to urban areas being more strongly Democratic than rural areas are Republican) as well.

Man this really seems unlikely, although 5 years is a long time.

I wish we had two political parties instead of one political party and one uncompromising insurgent ideologue death cult, that would be pretty great

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Isn't our old floor-making GBS threads pal Charles C. Johnson a key figure in the rumor mongering as well? That alone should cast a ton of doubt on its credibility.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another reported school shooting. Texas Southern University currently on lockdown.

:sigh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wish we had two political parties instead of one political party and one uncompromising insurgent ideologue death cult, that would be pretty great

That's the way politics work in the US. You think nothing is ever going to change and then something breaks and it all changes at once.

Go look at the process that turned California blue.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

2020 isn't because it's likely then, it's because it is literally the earliest possible date where it becomes a vague possibility because it's a Presidential year (more Democrats vote) and as far as possible from the disastrous gerrymander from 2010 so the gerrymander is as weak as possible. And if they don't, they're hosed unless they manage to sweep a bunch of legislatures that year and redistrict for 2022.

There is no realistic possibility the Republicans lose the House before that without some crazy black swan event.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

2020 isn't because it's likely then, it's because it is literally the earliest possible date where it becomes a vague possibility because it's a Presidential year (more Democrats vote) and as far as possible from the disastrous gerrymander from 2010 so the gerrymander is as weak as possible. And if they don't, they're hosed unless they manage to sweep a bunch of legislatures that year and redistrict for 2022.

There is no realistic possibility the Republicans lose the House before that without some crazy black swan event.

Like shutting down the government for multiple months and partially defaulting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

Texas Southern University is a historically black college in Houston.

Good to know.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is like Pacific Rim but instead of Kaiju it's the time between school shooting incidents becoming exponentially smaller.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

That's the way politics work in the US. You think nothing is ever going to change and then something breaks and it all changes at once.

Go look at the process that turned California blue.

It's the way politics works worldwide, period.

Things look nutty now, but the demographics mean it really is only a matter of time before the country goes Democratic permanently or the GOP changes its tune.

EDIT: The linked article also leaps into my head at least every other year or so, as some "entirely impossible to predict" sea change happens somewhere in the world and everyone leaps to their feet in total shock and surprise. Oh brother.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well there's school shootings and then there's shootings that happen at schools. I mean they're both terrible but only one is going to capture the national attention.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I thought the election was going to be the bread and circuses for 2016, guess I was wrong.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I don't understand why people think it's a slam dunk that anyone in the House is going to resign over an affair. Mark Sanford was bludgeoned with his affair and terrible cover-up during the 2013 special election and he won. It's certainly possible, but people are treating it as an inevitability. It's amazing what voters are willing to rationalize to get their guy/gal in the seat.

vvv That's fair. I was thinking it was bad enough to drop out of the Speaker race for similar reasons, but not bad enough to give up his current spot.

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 9, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grey Fox posted:

I don't understand why people think it's a slam dunk that anyone in the House is going to resign over an affair. Mark Sanford was bludgeoned with his affair and terrible cover-up during the 2013 special election and he won. It's certainly possible, but people are treating it as an inevitability. It's amazing what voters are willing to rationalize to get their guy/gal in the seat.

I think standards are different for leadership than line members. It's one thing for random idiot member to have an affair. It's another thing for the Majority Leader to have an affair. The latter reflects much more on the party as a whole.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

Mark Sanford loses this in almost any other state, and he did lose the governorship. The rest you can probably credit to his superhuman vanity.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

evilweasel posted:

I think standards are different for leadership than line members. It's one thing for random idiot member to have an affair. It's another thing for the Majority Leader to have an affair. The latter reflects much more on the party as a whole.

Especially when they used to stake so much of their position on being the Not-Blowjob-Havers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

In the lastest sign of how hosed the House is, a discharge petition actually worked: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-09/house-bid-to-revive-ex-im-has-support-to-force-vote-backer-says

quote:

U.S. House members gathered enough signatures Friday to force a floor vote to revive the Export-Import Bank over objections from some Republican leaders.
“We’re there,” said Ex-Im supporter Adam Kinzinger, an Illinois Republican as signing of the petition began Friday. It had gained 218 signatures, enough to require a House vote, by about 1 p.m. Washington time.
The Ex-Im Bank provides loans and other support to overseas customers of U.S. companies such as Boeing Co. and General Electric Co. Its charter expired on June 30, and Tennessee Republican Stephen Fincher has been leading the unusual bid to force consideration of legislation to revive the 81-year-old institution.
“I care about ensuring our domestic manufacturers can create the quality, family sustaining jobs of tomorrow, right in our back yards,” Representative Tom Reed, a New York Republican who signed the petition, said in a statement. "By reauthorizing the Export Import Bank, we are making it easier for them to do just that."

For reference, these have succeeded precisely once since 1993.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 9, 2015

• Locked thread