Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

witz posted:

(unless it was girls, then probably U14 or 15).

ugh, mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

chaoslord posted:

The problem with penalizing any arm contact with an IFK is that most (all?) professional players could ping the ball off an arm from a yard or two away. A lot of strategy would be "get into favorable position, wait for defender to close down, ping ball off arm" to get a free kick.

Don't players try to do this now when the ball is in the box? If there isn't a good cross available, just ping the ball off the defender. Worst case: turnover. Middle case: corner kick. Best case: a free goal from a penalty kick.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Aggro posted:

Don't players try to do this now when the ball is in the box? If there isn't a good cross available, just ping the ball off the defender. Worst case: turnover. Middle case: corner kick. Best case: a free goal from a penalty kick.

Some do, yes, but from what I've seen it's mostly limited to when they're in the corner and they don't see a good cross anymore because there is a middle case. I don't see many players do it in the middle of the field. I'm saying making all contact with arms a free kick (DFK or IFK depending on if you think it's intentional or not) will cause it to start occurring more often and in the middle of the field because you've replaced "Worst case: Turnover" with "Worst case: Indirect free kick" for most professional players. I can't imagine there are too many pros that play in attacking positions that couldn't hit the arm of a defender marking them with the ball.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

witz posted:

I agree with all of this. I would have called this a PK in U12 and up, actually (unless it was girls, then probably U14 or 15). The issue is 'making yourself bigger' even though it may not have been intentional, the arm being in an unnatural position is indeed 'deliberate'. This situation is a cut and dry PK at most levels (and a caution).

I'd call it a penalty U12 and down, hell, I'd even take it myself to let those little bitchmade babies know what's up

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Here's my new rule: no more bullshit!

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Just do as La Liga did a few seasons ago, any hand ball was a yellow card offence unless you had your arms close to your body

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jyrka posted:

Jesus. Sorry that my example is related to Manchester United. It's not personal.

:rolleyes:

It's a penalty. I'd be hard pressed to disagree even if it were the scummy scouse awarded said pen.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Make the sport a lot less boring to watch

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Carpet bomb Stanford Bridge

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just regular football only with two balls. All the other rules stay the same. Two refs to watch each ball. If a foul is committed near one ball, the ref watching that ball calls it but you can keep playing with the other ball while you set up the free kick or whatever.

Goalkeepers will have to really be on their toes because while you're watching a free kick or penalty, someone else could be trying to score with the second ball.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

For real though bring back old school NASL shootouts

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The games are often a bore! Make them better. Change it up.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Ban the lone striker

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

African AIDS cum posted:

If nobody has scored a goal in the past ten minutes, one player from each team is removed to where the fourth official stands. The rest of the game continues as normal while these two players engage in a fierce battle of keepy-uppy (they may attempt to kick, trip, or otherwise interfere with each other). A goal is awarded to the team of whichever player wins.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Compulsory 4-4-2

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

African AIDS cum posted:

not sure i agree

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
An extra point when you score three goals in a game.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

lmaoboy1998 posted:

This. Reward playing with panache. This negative poo poo is for the birds!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure if these have been submitted but here goes:
- turn based encounters using dice rolls to decide who gets to keep possession. Each season a new rule book costing $90 will be published.
- former players as guest referees
- the outlawing of Liverpool football clubs and those in the greater merseyside area

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Have I mentioned my serious idea of Europe-wide football pyramid here yet?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
FIFA tried out anyone on the opposition team touching the ball once its gone out of play getting a yellow card at an under 19 tournament or something and it was really effective at speeding up matches

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
There should be a shot clock for goal kicks. Once a goal kick is awarded, you have to kick it within 15 seconds or its a corner. This would speed up the game immensely.

witz
Sep 28, 2001

Start winning some games or he'll kill you

Suqit posted:

There should be a shot clock for goal kicks. Once a goal kick is awarded, you have to kick it within 15 seconds or its a corner. This would speed up the game immensely.
There already is an 'unofficial' clock for all restarts (and a slightly more official one for keeper kicks). Slightly delaying is gamesmanship, yes, but you can get cautioned for it. I think a United player got a yellow for it against Wolfsburg the other day. It just isn't enforced enough.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

witz posted:

There already is an 'unofficial' clock for all restarts (and a slightly more official one for keeper kicks). Slightly delaying is gamesmanship, yes, but you can get cautioned for it. I think a United player got a yellow for it against Wolfsburg the other day. It just isn't enforced enough.

This happens more in Europe than in domestic leagues, and it's almost always worth it for the keeper to stall and gain a minute instead of putting the ball back in play, even if it means a yellow. It's the most obvious form of time wasting, which is why you see it cautioned more than faking an injury or arguing a call.

Suqit posted:

I like this idea.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

This. Reward playing with panache. This negative poo poo is for the birds!

It's piss poor to watch rn and only stuffy fags think otherwise. I spend most of each match paying bills on my phone.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Probably be better if it were 15 seconds from when the goalkeeper gets the ball from the ballboy or something.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

lmaoboy1998 posted:

It's piss poor to watch rn and only stuffy fags think otherwise. I spend most of each match paying bills on my phone.

Yeah the sport is in serious decline from an entertainment standpoint. I used to wake up early to watch games.. The light has gone out of my life.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah the sport is in serious decline from an entertainment standpoint. I used to wake up early to watch games.. The light has gone out of my life.

I disagree. Football is an entertaining, powerful experience.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

African AIDS cum posted:

Whoever first realised that you can scab points easier by flooding the central midfield with cloggers is responsible

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

jyrka posted:

Probably be better if it were 15 seconds from when the goalkeeper gets the ball from the ballboy or something.

Then the ballboy would just hold it until he gets kicked by hazard

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Blue Star Error posted:

Whoever first realised that you can scab points easier by flooding the central midfield with cloggers is responsible

I blame The Makelele Role

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
guardiola ruined football

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Here's a change for football: stop allowing England have 4 teams out! It's ridiculous. One country, one team - that's what I always say. Maybe that's why they never do well in major tournaments. Because Gareth Bale plays for Wales not England.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Suqit posted:

You could even have the opposing team's captain just constantly scream the seconds at the referee's face with no negative repercussions

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

jyrka posted:

Here's a change for football: stop allowing England have 4 teams out! It's ridiculous. One country, one team - that's what I always say. Maybe that's why they never do well in major tournaments. Because Gareth Bale plays for Wales not England.

6 teams

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The Falklands should be in UEFA and teams should have to fly out for away matches

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

lmaoboy1998 posted:

We used to have this in the 80s. 1 point for a draw, 2 for a win and 3 for a win by 3 goals or more.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mackintosh posted:

We used to have this in the 80s. 1 point for a draw, 2 for a win and 3 for a win by 3 goals or more.

If you were going to do this properly it should be a bonus point for scoring three goals whether you win, lose, or draw though, like in rugby. 0 for a loss, 1 for a draw, 3 for a win, 1 for a loss scoring 3 goals, 2 for a draw scoring 3 goals, 4 for a win scoring three goals. So if it's an exciting 4-3 both teams benefit more than a poo poo 1-0.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

If you were going to do this properly it should be a bonus point for scoring three goals whether you win, lose, or draw though, like in rugby. 0 for a loss, 1 for a draw, 3 for a win, 1 for a loss scoring 3 goals, 2 for a draw scoring 3 goals, 4 for a win scoring three goals. So if it's an exciting 4-3 both teams benefit more than a poo poo 1-0.

Implement this and then be amazed when end of season Italian matches are suddenly goalfests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Bigger goals maybe? Theyve been the same size since Victorian times when people were much shorter, goalkeeping was poo poo and goalies didnt wear massive gloves.

• Locked thread