Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just noticed that Taking the Black and Decree of Ruin are both on the boat, so hopefully they roll out pretty fast.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

From what little I've played with them since GenCon, I severely underestimated how important getting those planets infested is. Most of the good combat tricks only work on infested planets, so I think most Tyranid decks will want a good focus on infestation, moreso if they're using more of the infestation tricks, like Digestion Pool. I always use Promethium Mines, so I can't comment on how helpful they are to Tyranids specifically. I do think Tyranids don't need as many cheap units for the command struggle because of the Synapse unit. Which one you use will probably be mostly a matter of taste, as murdering their units is just as good as winning command outright.

Elite units are awesome! Always play with Elites. I once won a game as Starbane opening with Wailing Wraithfighter, Mobility, and Promethium Mine. I was also pretty happy with this Space Marine deck.

How do Prometheium Mines work out for you? Every time I thinking about playing them, like in Tyranids, I just think about how much I'd much rather have a 1 drop with a command icon. Although I guess they would help getting those Elites out there since it's easier to get the 5+ it takes to get them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

How do Prometheium Mines work out for you? Every time I thinking about playing them, like in Tyranids, I just think about how much I'd much rather have a 1 drop with a command icon. Although I guess they would help getting those Elites out there since it's easier to get the 5+ it takes to get them out.

I like the Mines for their consistent output. While a 1 drop with a command icon is generally more versatile, they're also more vulnerable, so like having the Mines as a backup. It also takes some of the pressure off of getting as many command struggles as quickly as possible, as it gives you that alternate source of income.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
The problem I have with Mines is that they are Limited. If not for that I would find them decent, especially in factions like Tyranids or Dark Eldar who do not have access to many one-for-ones, but as it stands almost any card that competes with Promotion is going to be a tough include. (Incidentally, Promotion will be the alt art card in thew new Store Championship kit, so the Organized Play department has finally figured out what cards people are actually playing with.)

In general almost all my decks run 3x Promotion and no other Limited, though decks with almost all units from one faction sometimes add the unique reducer at 1x, and I usually run 3x Recon Drone/Ripper Swarm and then 0-2 Promotion with the Tau or Tyranids.

ExtraCheese
Apr 16, 2014
I personally quite like the mines but I'm having to play against Archon's Palace constantly so I tend value reliable income more than I possibly should.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Forgot if this was posted here, but AGoT2E is shipping from Cardhaus on the 7th and there is a launch event at the FFG Center on the 6th. So it should start becoming available mostly everywhere next week

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
This is great news I got 2 cores on pre-order and at the minimum 3 friends interested to at least try
With some luck, and good learning matches, I'll getting a third core and the expansion packs from my lgs

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played my first game with the Tyranids vs a standard Sicarius deck. Here's my deck for anyone interested:

I'm like 99% certain I'm gonna trade Old One Eye out for the Genestealer warlord whenever that gets released, since I don't think his ability is honestly all that great and basically only gives him a handful of HP throughout the game, especially when Sicarius got his signature sword. That Termagant Sentry is basically only there because I wanted a 1 drop that had a command icon.

The main strength of the Tyranids that I saw were a great cost to overall strength ratio. Their units seemed about half a resource undercosted overall, although for the most part they lack any sort of subtlety or trickiness to them, so what you see is what you get. For some reason, I actually won the econ game on most of the planets (Ripper Swarms + Synapse Unit + Venomthrope just does that I guess?), so I was overflowing with cards. Synaptic Link also helps a lot with that, but I was really missing those sweet sweet +1 resource weenies.

My MVP unit the entire game were the Hunter Gargoyles. They basically have super mobile and are great at ambushing the enemy warlord, making them wary of any planet that are infested. Like, it really fucks with combat math, sorta like a reusable Eager Recruit, assuming they don't get destroyed immediately. They're also prime Promotion targets since they can be anywhere.

Virulent Spore Sacs are great late game, when it becomes really obvious which planets will be major battlefields, although they're remarkable lovely early game. Saccing them lets you alpha strike pretty well with the Zoanthrope, since it's 1 to everything and then an additional 2 from the Zoanthrope on top of that. Also enables Hunter Gargoyles if they're floating somewhere.

I never got to fight anything with my Regenerating Lurking Hormagaunts :(

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I think OOEs strength is in his sig stuff. His ability is a lack lustre Kugath, but regen lurkagaunts, free ready and surprise brütal really make him strong

Curious how you found synaptic link and which synapse you were using. I've been solidly playing SWP for awhile now to get extra benefit out of brutal plus I don't have to telegraph where OOE is going

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Any sign of AGOT 2 shipping ?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Serotonin posted:

I'm checking this thread constantly and will post when I recieve mine.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Last threads I've seen on various sites have tomorrow listed as the day should start shipping. I'm hopeful to get it soon as I really want my first foray to be 3 to 4 players and I got the people interested

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MisterShine posted:

Curious how you found synaptic link and which synapse you were using. I've been solidly playing SWP for awhile now to get extra benefit out of brutal plus I don't have to telegraph where OOE is going

Synaptic Link was okay, but like I said, I was dominating the control game so maybe I would have felt the need for more cards if I hadn't been. The deck doesn't really have any silver bullet type cards that I would have liked to fetch, except maybe Harpy in the late game and maybe a Regeneration sooner, but if you happen to play Synaptic Link turn 1, you're basically exchanging 2 resources for 3-5 cards. Uh, assuming your synapse unit lives. I would probably cut it honestly if there were better events or resources to play.

I used Blazing Zoanthrope since it gives a control icon and can snipe out various pirates and traders, and if it's used in aggressively, a 1-2 point ranged+ unit is some good. It also means that it can do damage to units on later planets without putting itself in danger, unlike SWP. SWP was my second choice, but I wanted the control icon specifically for traders and pirates. But the ability for SWP to relatively safely Battle abilities at planets is pretty sweet as well.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 6, 2015

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Serotonin posted:

They're on their way out from US distributors at least, the local store got their copies in this morning.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Devlan Mud posted:

They're on their way out from US distributors at least, the local store got their copies in this morning.

Cool. Hoping they hit UK soon, got 2 copies on order.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Serotonin posted:

CSI now has it in stock!

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/215718

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Australia is so hosed even the tyranids don't want to come here apparently.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Solemn Sloth posted:

Australia is so hosed even the tyranids don't want to come here apparently.

They have heard hyperbole about your planet's wildlife and are afraid

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

They're already there. Check the under-outback for genestealer infestation.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

drat that's cheap isn't it? Just looked quick on amazon and its $43.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

always be closing posted:

drat that's cheap isn't it? Just looked quick on amazon and its $43.

That's gotta be a third-party price gouger, the MSRP is only 40 bucks.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I get sad when I see that what you lot pay in $ is what we pay in £

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Although less sad now as I've just had shipping confirmation!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Serotonin posted:

Although less sad now as I've just had shipping confirmation!

This is a ridiculous month. I'm shipping aGoT, new Star Wars deluxe, 2 Doomtown deluxes, and the new Mage Wars Arena tiles and VS to myself. While one friend wants me to buy more Star Wars Decipher cards so we can play that, and another wants me to get Star Trek Decipher cards.

and since CoC just died. I'm debating whether it's worth it to buy someone's collection. Incidentally if you have a large collection and want to unload it, I might be your guy.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Still no shipping info for me from the war store
On the plus side I'll also be getting space hulk death angel

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Elf friend feels like one of the most broken cards for Lord of the Rings. I had Gimli hitting for 10 damage and had range and had black arrow on him.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

frgildan posted:

Elf friend feels like one of the most broken cards for Lord of the Rings. I had Gimli hitting for 10 damage and had range and had black arrow on him.

But how many cards did you have, how many turns did it take, and how close to death was he? The fact that it doesn't do anything on its own but give a trait doesn't make it broken.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

mongol posted:

But how many cards did you have, how many turns did it take, and how close to death was he? The fact that it doesn't do anything on its own but give a trait doesn't make it broken.

I don't disagree but I was able to set it up on turn 1 due to drawing elf friend and rivendell bow and taking an undefend attack but me at +5 damage. Then by round 3 I had one armor on was brought down to 1 hit point. Mablung helped with the resources. This is in a 3 player game it certainly wouldn't work solo. Having played the deck only three times now I've been able to set it up each time by round 2.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 7, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

frgildan posted:

I don't disagree but I was able to set it up on turn 1 due to drawing elf friend and rivendell bow and taking an undefend attack but me at +5 damage. Then by round 3 I had one armor on was brought down to 1 hit point. Mablung helped with the resources. This is in a 3 player game it certainly wouldn't work solo. Having played the deck only three times now I've been able to set it up each time by round 2.

Sounds like a balanced payoff for the risk incurred. There are plenty of treacheries or shadow effects that could wipe Gimli if he's sitting at 1 HP and relying on armor.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
AGOT 2e is officially released! I've been tweaking my two-core Lannister/Tyrell build, and I'm looking forward to playing with everyone tonight.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (60)

Faction:
Lannister

Agenda: (1)
1x Banner of the Rose (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Calling the Banners (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Power Behind the Throne (Core Set)
1x Summons (Core Set)
1x The Winds of Winter (Core Set)

Character: (34)
2x Burned Men (Core Set)
1x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
2x Courtesan of the Rose (Core Set)
2x Gold Cloaks (Core Set)
2x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
1x Joffrey Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
1x Left (Core Set)
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Maester Lomys (Core Set)
2x Margaery Tyrell (Core Set)
1x Rattleshirt’s Raiders (Core Set)
1x Right (Core Set)
2x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
2x The Knight of Flowers (Core Set)
1x The Tickler (Core Set)
2x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
2x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
2x Varys (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
2x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
2x Widow’s Wail (Core Set)

Event: (8)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
2x Treachery (Core Set)
2x “The Bear and the Maiden Fair” (Core Set)

1x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
2x Lannisport (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Western Fiefdom (Core Set)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

When playing with Right and Left, you have to ask yourself, is this better than a Courtesan of the Rose or even one of the 1 drop cost reducers? Because they're seriously pretty bad.

I'm too lazy to figure this out, but does anyone know/can anyone figure out the odds of getting two "econ" cards (defined as the cost reducers, Roseroad, or Kingsroad) within, say, the first 10 cards of a deck if I have 12 total in the deck (weighted towards the primary faction)? I ask because I have a Targ/Lannister deck that uses Jaime and Drogo to buddy up and kill everything, but it was remarkably difficult to get them out consistently (and of course Dany whenever she popped up). Without saturating my plot deck with a bunch of econ plots like Muster or A Noble Cause, I was curious to see how consistent I could get econ to play the big guys.

Getting a firm grasp on the economy of this game is going to be...fun.

On another note, a turn 1 Sneak Attack with Dracarys killing something too, followed by a turn 2 March to the Walls is a pretty huge tempo swing that some people may not be able to recover from! Watch out for that!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

When playing with Right and Left, you have to ask yourself, is this better than a Courtesan of the Rose or even one of the 1 drop cost reducers? Because they're seriously pretty bad.

I'm too lazy to figure this out, but does anyone know/can anyone figure out the odds of getting two "econ" cards (defined as the cost reducers, Roseroad, or Kingsroad) within, say, the first 10 cards of a deck if I have 12 total in the deck (weighted towards the primary faction)? I ask because I have a Targ/Lannister deck that uses Jaime and Drogo to buddy up and kill everything, but it was remarkably difficult to get them out consistently (and of course Dany whenever she popped up). Without saturating my plot deck with a bunch of econ plots like Muster or A Noble Cause, I was curious to see how consistent I could get econ to play the big guys.

Getting a firm grasp on the economy of this game is going to be...fun.

On another note, a turn 1 Sneak Attack with Dracarys killing something too, followed by a turn 2 March to the Walls is a pretty huge tempo swing that some people may not be able to recover from! Watch out for that!

Right and Left are in there almost solely for cheap Mil icons. I won't be using them once I get a third core, at least.

From what I've seen from AGOT vets, 12 is the magic number. You can use this tool to play with the numbers, but 12 econ cards gives you a 90% chance of seeing at least one of them in the first 10 cards. 12 is probably also the threshold for number of limited cards that makes playing Taxation worthwhile.

A board wipe first turn is pretty awful, yeah. I think I have enough cheaper characters to recover, though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If you're running Varys, having MttW in your plot deck to play after if someone had dupes/bodyguards is pretty great. Also gives you another high initiative plot for dropping him without him immediately forming a serious drug addiction the same turn..

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If you're running Varys, having MttW in your plot deck to play after if someone had dupes/bodyguards is pretty great. Also gives you another high initiative plot for dropping him without him immediately forming a serious drug addiction the same turn..

Yeah, I was thinking of using Marched to the Wall or Sneak Attack, but I wanted to test it more as it is first.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Look like the American conquest champ was caught cheating in his match

Drawing 3 cards in HQ a bunch

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
A bunch of us got our Cores last night, so we celebrated by playing a six-player, single-core melee. One guy proceeded to troll everyone with a Night's Watch/Targaryen deck and plots like Naval Superiority (first turn), Fortified Position, and Jousting Contest. Lots of fun; looking forward to picking up my second core today and building "serious" decks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just got my core too. Looking forward to poking around at it tonight and seeing what I can do. Hopefully it's fun enough that I grab more cores!

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

Look like the American conquest champ was caught cheating in his match

Drawing 3 cards in HQ a bunch

Yeah, about 20 people have directed me to this overnight! (For those who don't know, I'm the guy who this guy knocked out in the semifinals.) It looks pretty straightforwardly like intentional cheating, which is a shame - I did not notice any suspicious behavior at all when I was playing against this guy, and learning that I was knocked out by cheating is rough!

I suspect Pierson should be banned from competing in large scale events for at least this year and probably further. Cheating at a top level competitive event is completely unacceptable.

Obviously, organized play has little sway over what happens in smaller tournaments, but if this guy showed up to one of our Berkeley events I sure wouldn't let him play after this...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Fetterkey posted:

Yeah, about 20 people have directed me to this overnight! (For those who don't know, I'm the guy who this guy knocked out in the semifinals.) It looks pretty straightforwardly like intentional cheating, which is a shame - I did not notice any suspicious behavior at all when I was playing against this guy, and learning that I was knocked out by cheating is rough!

I suspect Pierson should be banned from competing in large scale events for at least this year and probably further. Cheating at a top level competitive event is completely unacceptable.

Obviously, organized play has little sway over what happens in smaller tournaments, but if this guy showed up to one of our Berkeley events I sure wouldn't let him play after this...

Wait are you Kingsley on cardgamedb/stimhack??? edit: that owns

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So AGOT2 talk, I was originally going to make a Greyjoy/Baratheon aggro deck, but I find that I enjoy Targaryen/Lannister much better in that regard, so what houses would be the best Control type deck? The natural answer is Baratheon, but it's soooo dependent on getting Melisandre that it is sorta frustrating when you don't get her and the necessary Rhllor cards quickly (and in that order!), and whiffing on a Summons really, really sucks. I overall kinda loathe any sort of "gating" when it comes to my decks, since it makes them too inconsistent for my liking. So what would that leave? Martell? Night's Watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Wait are you Kingsley on cardgamedb/stimhack??? edit: that owns

Yup, that's me.