Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
IOS DRM is actually pretty good in the scheme of things. If you have the app downloaded on your phone or your computer you will always be able to access it, even if it gets taken off the store or the authentication servers go down.

IOS5 games are more likely not to work simply because of OS version incompatibility. But in the console analogy that's no different to not being able to run NES games on a SNES.

I don't agree that Apple should ever remove an app from a user's purchase history though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
just sync with your computer lol idiots!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

noirstronaut posted:

just sync with your computer lol idiots!

A Nintendo-poster giving anyone else's digital distribution platform trash.

Zen.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sir Unimaginative posted:

A Nintendo-poster giving anyone else's digital distribution platform trash.

Zen.

i have a ps4 and a wii u

and an iphone

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

IOS DRM is actually pretty good in the scheme of things. If you have the app downloaded on your phone or your computer you will always be able to access it, even if it gets taken off the store or the authentication servers go down.

IOS5 games are more likely not to work simply because of OS version incompatibility. But in the console analogy that's no different to not being able to run NES games on a SNES.

I don't agree that Apple should ever remove an app from a user's purchase history though.

Except NES and SNES both still exist and continue to function. And I can acquire games I didn't own in the 90's.

No way to use older ios versions.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wooger posted:

Except NES and SNES both still exist and continue to function. And I can acquire games I didn't own in the 90's.

Except for buying an older iPhone, much like buying a SNES is buying an older system than a Wii U. If any games really matter, iOS emulation will probably become a thing much like SNES emulation on PC.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

Just move on with your life. Or stay bitter about the fact a 0.99-4.99 USD mobile game is forever gone from your life. Either way, no one cares.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

wooger posted:

those PCBs will eventually die bro

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So what is better than the stock mail app? I have about 4 email accounts that I need to keep tabs on two of them being non-gmail accounts.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I would say Dispatch or Spark.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Etrips posted:

So what is better than the stock mail app? I have about 4 email accounts that I need to keep tabs on two of them being non-gmail accounts.

I'm a fan of Mailbox; I also use Outlook for my work account which can handle multiple accounts. Anything is better than the default app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Outlook, but mostly because I like its sorting, so I don't get notifications for every loving email that comes through. I suppose Inbox does similar, but I'm not sure it works with anything but Gmail.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
To add to my whining of the new YouTube app, unless I'm mistaken, if you've done a string of searches, the only way to get back to the home screen is to swipe from the left edge for every search you've done. Past 4 searches, you're better off just killing the app and running it again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I use Outlook, but mostly because I like its sorting, so I don't get notifications for every loving email that comes through. I suppose Inbox does similar, but I'm not sure it works with anything but Gmail.

It also only works if your job has Google Apps and turned on Inbox. I have two separate work emails for different jobs and only one of them allows Inbox so I'm just back on normal Gmail now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a dirty hack, but my solution to fixing the youtube problem was to set up an RSS aggregator on my private server and add the channels I'm interested in as sources. The old youtube api is gone but you can still get RSS feeds if you hunt down the url they use for it.

Then I deleted the youtube app and now I just watch videos in safari. This kills off the ads, too!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I am a weird person who likes having a different app for each of my email accounts rather than managing multiple accounts in one app (mostly so each one is badged with one account's number of unread emails) and of Spark, Outlook, Mailbox, Mail.app and GMail, I probably like them in that order. Unless I have to actually search for something in one of them, then the GMail app seems to do better for some reason.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Etrips posted:

Outlook.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

PFlats posted:

I am a weird person who likes having a different app for each of my email accounts rather than managing multiple accounts in one app

No, I do this as well, as do most people in my field of work (legal). It's not as much for the badge as it is for 1) not having to see work emails off hours and 2) a whole bunch of problems with mixing personal and work emails.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Slowhanded posted:

No, I do this as well, as do most people in my field of work (legal). It's not as much for the badge as it is for 1) not having to see work emails off hours and 2) a whole bunch of problems with mixing personal and work emails.

This is actually a really good point.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Slowhanded posted:

ditto- Mail.app for work, FastMail for play.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Continuing on this thread, is there any mail apps that allow you to set a timed Do Not Disturb? I don't wanna be getting Notifs for work emails on the weekend!

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Just a heads up, Overcast is now completely free.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It's also a fair bit improved, too.

I was a $5 unlocker and it seems worth it to get these features. Never mind that I got my money's worth over the past year just for Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and granular speed.

e: Yeah. 3D touch on SpringBoard. Hell yeah!

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 9, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
edit: ^^^ Same, I don't feel bad at all for the upgrade fee I paid about a year or so ago. Even if I wasn't using the features (though I totally am) it's nice to support developers.

Hopefully part of the fixes is for it to be much more reliable at remembering when I re-order a bunch of unplayed podcasts.
edit2: "Moved to a new database layer that fixed tons of bugs, including some remaining sync bugs and the infamous playlist-reordering bug (sorry!)" <-- hurrah!

I tried this about a year ago and couldn't do it, but if you have the app installed on both iPhone and iPad, is it possible to have one device download all unplayed episodes and the other download nothing and only ever stream? Settings seem to be synced between the two and so I could only have either both devices downloading or both streaming.

"A complete overhaul of the show-artwork architecture" <-- fingers crossed this means that episodes that have separate artwork for each episode will be displayed correctly rather than just the same image each time!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 9, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha he's taking a pay cut due to his neuroses over how and how many people use his app, and will effectively force other iOS podcast players out of the market. Overcast isn't perfect for everyone but it's good enough for enough people that I'd be surprised if there's enough of a market for the rest to be profitable. Marco you tool.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

"A complete overhaul of the show-artwork architecture" <-- fingers crossed this means that episodes that have separate artwork for each episode will be displayed correctly rather than just the same image each time!

I think that's the case, since the latest ATP is showing different artwork now than it was yesterday.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hahaha he's taking a pay cut due to his neuroses over how and how many people use his app, and will effectively force other iOS podcast players out of the market. Overcast isn't perfect for everyone but it's good enough for enough people that I'd be surprised if there's enough of a market for the rest to be profitable. Marco you tool.

Wasn't smart speed pretty much the only thing unlocked by paying? I bought the IAP a day or two after downloading Overcast so I don't really remember what was and wasn't behind the paywall, but I don't see that alone cannibalizing the market. Whether it does or not, if he's still getting his money then that's an issue with the monetization of the other apps, it's not like the futures market. If another app can find a way to do something like smart speed from a web/desktop player I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

I agree with the tool part, though.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hahaha he's taking a pay cut due to his neuroses over how and how many people use his app, and will effectively force other iOS podcast players out of the market.

Or you know, perhaps push other podcast devs to do something novel? It's not like variable playback speed is the only technological benefit podcast apps will ever have. I don't get what's so crazy here, the consumer wins regardless.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 9, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

Wasn't smart speed pretty much the only thing unlocked by paying? I bought the IAP a day or two after downloading Overcast so I don't really remember what was and wasn't behind the paywall, but I don't see that alone cannibalizing the market. Whether it does or not, if he's still getting his money then that's an issue with the monetization of the other apps, it's not like the futures market. If another app can find a way to do something like smart speed from a web/desktop player I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

I agree with the tool part, though.

I'm fairly certain the free version also only allowed a small number of subscriptions.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't only use iOS devices, or a Mac so PocketCasts was a better decision for me, but yeah, if all you care about is iOS this is a hard thing to beat.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Maneki Neko posted:

I don't only use iOS devices, or a Mac so PocketCasts was a better decision for me, but yeah, if all you care about is iOS this is a hard thing to beat.

The nice thing about Overcast is it also has a web player, so you can get at your podcasts on anything that has an internet connection and it syncs with your phone.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I was this close to buying the overcast IAP the other day and the only thing that stopped me was the creator is a smarmy oval office and he abandoned Instapaper development.

Seems ok so far. I have a big backlog of Loveline episodes in Downcast I don't know how to transfer over.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
So LastPass has been purchased by LogMeIn. How quickly do I need to jump ship?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

So LastPass has been purchased by LogMeIn. How quickly do I need to jump ship?

Depending on where you read your comments, somewhere between yesterday and right now.

Unfortunately my subscription renewed just a few months ago so there's no reason for me to do much of anything until problems show up.

I keep hoping that KeePass will get its poo poo together but they aren't moving fast enough.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Where does overcast show the total time saved by using smart speed?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Why is this bad for LastPass and where should I go instead? I've been pretty happy with LastPass...

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

tuyop posted:

Where does overcast show the total time saved by using smart speed?

It's in the settings, at the bottom. It won't show up until it has a little time built up, though. Or at least it didn't before.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

I was this close to buying the overcast IAP the other day and the only thing that stopped me was the creator is a smarmy oval office and he abandoned Instapaper development.

So "selling to a company that's continued active development" is "abandoning" now?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
If people are jumping off LastPass, 1Password is great and on sale. I've used it for years syncing through Dropbox and never had a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Diabolik900 posted:

So "selling to a company that's continued active development" is "abandoning" now?

There was about a year of no development at all where it was broken as hell