Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Man I can always crush my lane opponent as Olaf but can't translate that into a win for the game. After lane I'll get kills but die a poo poo load as well. Not sure if this is how Olaf does things but is this something anyone else ends up experiencing?

Also last game I played with him I went flash tp and honestly flash feels infinitely worse on him, especially when trying to stick to priority targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Bland posted:

I think I get flamed every time without fail if I don''t ban Fiora, yet whenever somebody picks her they always feed their asses off, ijdgi

turns out a perceived OP character with fickle aiming and timing for her to do her damage takes skill and many games of practice, who knew

the fuckers complaining about her W are the most pathetic too, if you don't want to get hit by it you need to save your CC for when she's more vulnerable, i.e. she's in a bad spot where your teammates can murder the poo poo out of her after she blocks your CC. it's only .75 seconds of invulnerability on a 16ish second cooldown at rank 1

her passive/ult scaling is super bullshit though, i'll give them that

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Anybody wanna critique my two vayne demos?

http://www.replay.gg/?r=NA1&id=1973237405&key=KyQ6CBTYzaOqZHSAHIKTd%2FM%2BVcIuPqlZ

http://www.replay.gg/?r=NA1&id=1973175740&key=onc8yNQbYaW3JHrKmAt%2Fg41ROqw78PzH

e: In the closer game when I went on them at level 6 I thought we had more of an XP advantage than we actually had. I told my blitz to go in, i ulted, and they hit 6 almost instantly after I made the call. That ended up making the hard lane much more difficult.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 9, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
After coming back from a 2 year hiatus, I am loving Trist. I don't have as much time as I used to to experiment with different roles, so I think I'm just going to focus on marksmen ADC. Which other champs are the most similar in playstyle?

I don't own a lot of champs (never even spent cash on this game) Out of what I do own: Tried Corki, didn't go over as well. Did well with Sivir, just wasn't as fun. Not a huge fan of Ashe or Twitch in general.

I'm thinking of trying out Jinx, Vayne, or Graves. Thoughts?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I love graves but jinx and vayne are better right now.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Here's Faker playing Bard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeym5a_hOT4

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think I am just gonna main Bard from now on. He is so darn fun when your teammates put their trust in the tunnel.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

After coming back from a 2 year hiatus, I am loving Trist. I don't have as much time as I used to to experiment with different roles, so I think I'm just going to focus on marksmen ADC. Which other champs are the most similar in playstyle?

I don't own a lot of champs (never even spent cash on this game) Out of what I do own: Tried Corki, didn't go over as well. Did well with Sivir, just wasn't as fun. Not a huge fan of Ashe or Twitch in general.

They're about to do a big ADC rework when preseason hits in a month or so, so I'd recommend staying flexible with your champion preferences until we know what all the changes are.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

exethan posted:

Tales of Woe posted:

They're about to do a big ADC rework when preseason hits in a month or so, so I'd recommend staying flexible with your champion preferences until we know what all the changes are.

Thanks these are both what I was looking for. I hope they don't change too much, I just got back into this poo poo and an really enjoying it. (As Trist, was 8/0/4 last game and my best game since reinstalling it this week was 13/6/26)

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Edit: Oops never mind

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The ADC rework will be the removal of ADCs.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The ADC rework will be the removal of ADCs.

Or the opposite.

"We really like the changes with bruisers, and how they've developed, but an unfortunate side effect is that we think Marksmen are now a little underpowered. Therefore, we are going to start making small adjustments, starting with tripling the base AD of every Marksman and quadrupling all AD ratios that apply to skills.

We recognize that this will make Champions that have to lane against Marksmen less survivable, so we are coupling this with giving every Marksman a built in damage reduction passive that reduces all damage from any sources by 50%. We want to start here, and will look at the need to increase survivability of Supports later in the season."

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Lol!!!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

exethan posted:

I have a supportbuddy who spams Blitzcrank non-stop. When I'm tired and just want to win a game to close out the night, I pick Graves.

It has yet to lose.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I shall declare now: Next year on this very same day, this thread will complain about how bullshit strong ADCs are, how they should be nerfed because the game is unfun and unplayable otherwise.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
As someone who likes ADC, I will enjoy that

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This may come across as a pretty controversial statement, but perhaps no role or champion should be perceptibly imbalanced relative to any other? Food for thought, at the very least.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is teemo an adc? will he be buffed? good.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Graves is really easy to play. Vayne and jinx are hard.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Honestly, Graves is kinda hard to play because he's so short range. He's a tanky little poo poo, sure, but he'll get poked pretty badly. Jinx is anemic as hell but has incredible range and lots of toys to work with.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

JerryLee posted:

This may come across as a pretty controversial statement, but perhaps no role or champion should be perceptibly imbalanced relative to any other? Food for thought, at the very least.

I liked early-mid season when junglers felt slightly more important than other roles, but now with the dragon changes, anyone can help keep obj control in the jungle. I kind of think that the dragon timer is a bad addition, like it's a crutch for people with poor vision and poor jungling that allows bad teams to have the same level of awareness of a vital objective that the best team could have.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you can't keep dragon control with the other team having the timer it is actually you who is bad

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Methanar posted:

Graves is really easy to play. Vayne and jinx are hard.

This is just my opinion, but Jinx is like the easiest ADC in the game to play right now.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

This is just my opinion, but Jinx is like the easiest ADC in the game to play right now.

Her lack of mobility punishes bad positioning, but yes it's not hard to do well with just right clicking in rocket form for teamfights

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

SlyFrog posted:

Or the opposite.

"We really like the changes with bruisers, and how they've developed, but an unfortunate side effect is that we think Marksmen are now a little underpowered. Therefore, we are going to start making small adjustments, starting with tripling the base AD of every Marksman and quadrupling all AD ratios that apply to skills.

We recognize that this will make Champions that have to lane against Marksmen less survivable, so we are coupling this with giving every Marksman a built in damage reduction passive that reduces all damage from any sources by 50%. We want to start here, and will look at the need to increase survivability of Supports later in the season."
or they'll make autoattacks skillshots. "It works in Smite and adds counterplay, so we're doing it here too! Also, each autoattack that lands will have three separate effects depending on which champions are in the game and how many stacks of 'angular momentum' are on the target. Angular momentum will be a new passive on the upgraded blue trinkets that we're playing around with right now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

No, I completely agree. Jinx is a breeze. You have to be careful not to get caught because you don't have an escape and you need to manage mana a little but that's about it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mushi posted:

or they'll make autoattacks skillshots. "It works in Smite and adds counterplay, so we're doing it here too! Also, each autoattack that lands will have three separate effects depending on which champions are in the game and how many stacks of 'angular momentum' are on the target. Angular momentum will be a new passive on the upgraded blue trinkets that we're playing around with right now

If they should adopt anything from Smite, it's their Summoner Spell equivalents.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

JerryLee posted:

Assassins will always be perceptibly imbalanced depending on the meta and different lanes have different jobs with different player spreads, I'm not sure that's really a great goal because it's mostly focused around people whining about balance rather than any sort of reasonable balancing mechanics / analysis.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
People will always bitch about a character that's effective (or even just perceived to be effective, a lot of characters that are complained about aren't actually that good) as long as it's someone that they don't play

Example: Tank/Assassin mains bitching about Vayne because there's an ADC that's allowed to have a measure of autonomy in this game

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

KamikazePotato posted:

People will always bitch about a character that's effective (or even just perceived to be effective, a lot of characters that are complained about aren't actually that good) as long as it's someone that they don't play

Example: Tank/Assassin mains bitching about Vayne because there's an ADC that's allowed to have a measure of autonomy in this game

No, the people who bitch about Vayne are Jungle/Support mains who have to babysit a drooling retard throughout the whole game. Vayne rots the brain.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
No one bitches about Kog's long range HP% damage on hit, but Vayne's super short range 3 hit true HP% proc is the most feared thing for a tank. There's clearly something not right going on with Vayne

rabidsquid posted:

If you can't keep dragon control with the other team having the timer it is actually you who is bad

I think we're saying the same thing, but I'm not sure

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

I think we're saying the same thing, but I'm not sure

You are not

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

No one bitches about Kog's long range HP% damage on hit, but Vayne's super short range 3 hit true HP% proc is the most feared thing for a tank. There's clearly something not right going on with Vayne

Because Vayne can peel herself (sometimes) while Kog needs an entire team built around him. Kog'maw with the right composition is much stronger than Vayne in any scenario, I think, but she's just a much better solo queue pick. And that's fine - ADC is already a miserable enough role, it's nice that there's one character in the role who can take care of themselves, and she's hardly overpowered.

Transient People posted:

No, the people who bitch about Vayne are Jungle/Support mains who have to babysit a drooling retard throughout the whole game. Vayne rots the brain.

Can't really argue with this, although I do think there's also a lot of unnecessary bitching about Vayne's kit as well. People just latch onto stuff that gets played a lot and that they can't counter using their standard tactics.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Honestly while the % damage really loving hurts she is incredibly hard to stick to. Kog'maw has impressive range but once on him he will explode. While the same holds true for Vayne between condemn and tumble she's a lot harder to hit.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The automatic dragon/baron timer is just doing what a lot of people did already did, which is just add 6/7 minutes from the timestamp of the kill message. And just because you get the timer now even if you have no vision that still doesn't automatically make sure your team is in any position the get the next one, because your jungler will be on the other side of the map killing golems while the other team gets 5th dragon

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kog'maw does not require a full team to peel for him, you just need to git gud. He is my most played champion and I feel pretty confident playing him in to almost anything, and weirdly I position better on him than I do other champs. Maybe because I know I need to not to die.

He's harder to play than Vayne bc she has an ult that gives her a BF worth of free stats and lets her turn invisible, she has an AA reset that also functions as a reposition, and she can stun people.

Kog has two different AA ranges during the game at any time, one of which is variable and changes with levels, and he absolutely requires you to weave in spellblade procs. Plus if you don't land his Q properly you lose a ton of DPS.

Kog is extremely good and cool, Vayne is a dork.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Noone complains about Kogmaw because Kogmaw is like every other not vayne in that he doen't have an answer to just getting dived no matter how fed he is. Vayne is currently the best and most fun ADC and is played a lot because she's the only adc that has any counterplay potential to roughly half the roster that isn't "sit a screen and a half away and prey to jesus they don't notice you"

ADC is going to be a terrible role to play until they give it some agency, some ability to do stuff on your own. Its not good design when the afk farm udyr has enough movement speed to just sprint at you, a stun to lock you down, and enough damage to kill you in the stun. All without having to hit you with anything but his right click button. You as the ADC will just tickle him in return unless you are stupidly far ahead. Its not like Udyr is the issue though because like half the champions in the game are like that.

Theres a reason Riot changes a lot of stuff to skillshots, because it means they have to do less work making sure everyone can exist. It's very possible to outplay a fed Leblanc for instance but theres nothing you as the adc against most of the champions in this game if the person playing them is remotely competent. Its a bad role because in 90% of situations, all you get to do is depend on your team mates. Unless you are Vayne, who has the damage and cc and invisibility and has a chance of doing it herself. Skillshots are objectively harder to play, meaning that when you do well, its more about skill. IMO that means its an objectively better, more fun, design, because it depends on skill and outplay and not just getting in range for a point and click.

rabidsquid posted:

Kog'maw does not require a full team to peel for him, you just need to git gud. He is my most played champion and I feel pretty confident playing him in to almost anything, and weirdly I position better on him than I do other champs. Maybe because I know I need to not to die.

He's harder to play than Vayne bc she has an ult that gives her a BF worth of free stats and lets her turn invisible, she has an AA reset that also functions as a reposition, and she can stun people.

Kog has two different AA ranges during the game at any time, one of which is variable and changes with levels, and he absolutely requires you to weave in spellblade procs. Plus if you don't land his Q properly you lose a ton of DPS.

Kog is extremely good and cool, Vayne is a dork.

TLDR is that basically you have to do a TONNE of extra work just to be on the same level as someone who picked Vayne, and if you gently caress up once you are hosed.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 9, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Not trying to be a dick but what agency does an adc need? They're typically the highest sustained damage class in the entire game, are excellent at taking objectives and core to breaking down towers to eventually win the game. They trade that for generally being fragile and needing to have assistance from their teammates to achieve that goal. Most of them rely on not face tanking the big bad bruiser man because they don't have the same health or resists.

If anything I mean players have gotten a lot wiser to gank the unholy gently caress out of bot lane either as three or four to keep them utterly miserable and as far back from recovery as possible so maybe that's part of the whole gripe about them?

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Skillshots are objectively harder to play, meaning that when you do well, its more about skill. IMO that means its an objectively better, more fun, design, because it depends on skill and outplay and not just getting in range for a point and click.

It's one thing I notice a lot of when playing Smite compared to League. Even a dude like Thanatos (who has a cross-map dash with an execute tied to it) can be outplayed if you're quick enough to get out of the way when he lands. You can avoid a whole hell of a lot by just outmaneuvering your opponent and tricking them into either panic firing their skills or misleading them as to your intended direction.

The Summoner Spell equivalents help a lot, too. Smite's ADCs don't need to rely on their team nearly as much because everyone has access to invincibility/CC cleanse/etc., regardless of role, meaning that you're not instantly, assuredly dead if you're an ADC and Loki leaps out of the bushes to try and murder you.

• Locked thread