Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ozza posted:

Also it seemed to me that Ron legitimately disliked ol' Shelbo. He was a relentlessly royal prick to him, with zero humour. At least when Ron bullied Earl he was occasionally funny about it.

Yeah, it was weird. I think Ron was so tired of Fez at that point, that when Shelby started having personal issues and shutting down on the air like Fez, Ron wrote him off immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Dan Soder's rap/Drake voice kills me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm so happy that Dan and Jay's "lovely Song Writer" thing actually became a produced bit.

"Riding in my Model T F ugh, no..."
"Lost...in a big scary world is how I feel when you're--:sigh:"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

Yeah, it was weird. I think Ron was so tired of Fez at that point, that when Shelby started having personal issues and shutting down on the air like Fez, Ron wrote him off immediately.

At that point Ron was just looking for people to help him with the three hour Bataan Death March. Chris Stanley at least knew how to fill time, and Shelby's sense of humor simply didn't mesh with Ron's. And by the end, the idea of another Fez had to be the last freaking straw, especially since Ron was well on his way of handing over Fez to someone else instead of being an agony aunt to a complete mess.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I really like the new-not-live Bonfires and wish they would do those every time. Radio shows don't need callers.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I love the poo poo out of Joe Machi.

I have no idea if he's a bit or that's really him but it was great

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

An Enormous Boner posted:

I really like the new-not-live Bonfires and wish they would do those every time. Radio shows don't need callers.

Jay and Soder are way too nice to callers, that's my one complaint about The Bonfire. There was one show where a few callers told some bullshit stories about sex or fighting, I forget which, and they had a guy on air for a few minutes sounding like he was making it up as he went along.

I love Ron's way of hanging up on callers as soon they are done contributing.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I dunno, I laughed like hell at Shelby bashings. The fact that he couldn't fire anything back without stumbling over his words kinda tells you he wasn't cut out for this. And let's not forget Fez's general nastiness kinda bringing the show down alot. The fact that Shelby's doing poo poo with noted regular The Real rear end Dude The Puerto Rican Rattlesnake Luis J. Gomez tells me Ron was probably looking out for Shelby more than we realize. You also have to remember management didn't want Shelby there at all and he had already burned a ton of bridges with people when he bad mouthed OnA. Shelby made his own grave at that place.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Shelby's quick exit from Sirius really goes to show how much just being a name in a brand kept them from stabbing Fez in the kidneys and letting him bleed out in the street.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Tr33 posted:

I dunno, I laughed like hell at Shelby bashings. The fact that he couldn't fire anything back without stumbling over his words kinda tells you he wasn't cut out for this. And let's not forget Fez's general nastiness kinda bringing the show down alot. The fact that Shelby's doing poo poo with noted regular The Real rear end Dude The Puerto Rican Rattlesnake Luis J. Gomez tells me Ron was probably looking out for Shelby more than we realize. You also have to remember management didn't want Shelby there at all and he had already burned a ton of bridges with people when he bad mouthed OnA. Shelby made his own grave at that place.

Shelby was mishandled a lot: he got popular because he interjects non sequiturs a lot. That's how he works. Thinking you're hiring someone who can be a good tech when the only thing they do is interject into a conversation was foolish to begin with. The idea of having him have to do producer work was short-sighted and stupid, especially when The Ron & Fez Show was sinking really fast due to Fez's issues.

And he didn't make a grave at Sirius. If anything, the danger he faced there was getting killed by Fez or staying there for financial security and sinking any chance of a real career. O&A may have taken his joke like babies, but it's not like they have much pull in Sirius.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Oh poor loving Shelby didn't make it big in radio at 22 years old cuz mean Ol Ron and Fez didn't like him. But yer right it was dumb of them to expect a communications major who hadalready interned there to know how to do the behind the scenes stuff. You know the same stuff he'd lie about having gotten done like making sure replays and poo poo were loaded properly. Sirius didn't even want him there cuz he lied on his application. Look I like Shelby but he had his share of problems that were all his own making. I'm not saying crazy rear end Fez didn't make it harder. If I were in that situation I'd probably want to leave too, but this idea that Ron was any worse to him than anybody else that's been on that show is kinda stupid.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Shelby is like the dude the Yankees had last year when A-Rod was suspended. Dude was a career minor leaguer that got a shot because their main guy just wasn't there and they needed someone to plug the hole. Kid hit out of his mind for two months and people got excited thinking they found a diamond in the rough. However, he eventually started playing like a dude that never made it past AAA before, because that's what he was. But in the Ron and Fez world, all frustrations at Fez being shitass gets focused into the newer disappointments.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Cory Lidle posted:

Shelby is like the dude the Yankees had last year when A-Rod was suspended. Dude was a career minor leaguer that got a shot because their main guy just wasn't there and they needed someone to plug the hole. Kid hit out of his mind for two months and people got excited thinking they found a diamond in the rough. However, he eventually started playing like a dude that never made it past AAA before, because that's what he was. But in the Ron and Fez world, all frustrations at Fez being shitass gets focused into the newer disappointments.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Anyone listen to the latest Cumia show? Keith the Cop told stories how to used to beat up people who pissed on the street and that he used to force homeless people who shat in an alleyway to pick up the poo poo and put it in their pockets. What a complete psychopath. No wonder the cop-public relationship is completely broken when people like that are working.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Shelby is cool because of his mutant lip family.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Shelby's cool because he threw out a childhood toy his dad sent into the show and - after Ron & Fez pulled it out of the trash and saved it until his dad died - threw it in the trash again.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Look at those fuckin lips.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

he looks like a living ventriloquist dummy

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Tr33 posted:

he looks like a living ventriloquist dummy

THAT'S what it was! I knew it was SOMETHING.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I was thinking more like the Joker had a kid with Martin Landau

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
He looks like the actor Conrad Veidt in The Man Who Laughs, the inspiration for The Joker.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
There is a thread on lady di being dead on OAsubreddit. Several ppl in thread "I have her number let me give her a call" LOL, what a bunch of losers.she is not dead

Edit: Chris is coming into his own... smoking with chirs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNqit_gbSQ8

Kiger_Soze fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 10, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kiger_Soze posted:

There is a thread on lady di being dead on OAsubreddit. Several ppl in thread "I have her number let me give her a call" LOL, what a bunch of losers.she is not dead

But if it were true, it could only be beneficial. Di plz do

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary
Move over Bennington #SmokingWithChris is the new best show

special episode 3.5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Sws3Vw8fo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It's so immersive, I really feel like Chris is uncomfortably close and blowing cigarette smoke in my face.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

How do you use a lighter when you have hooves anyway

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
General XM questions since this is where I've always asked them anyway over the years, and at least one is related to The !Virus.

1) Right now I'm an (XM) subscriber with All Access, using an Onyx. I'm looking to buy a new Honda or Mazda with satellite built in. Is it going to be at all easy to convert that to an add-on to my existing subscription so as to get both sides (including Opie) in a second vehicle at a discount?

2) The Onyx has a set of extra channels that I like quite a bit. Are newer car installs going to have similar functionality?

3) Speaking of, where the gently caress did Classic College Radio 319 go?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

delfin posted:

3) Speaking of, where the gently caress did Classic College Radio 319 go?

Moved to online only and will be closing for good on October 22.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Oh no, not Classic College Radio 319.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

drat, Anthony is doing the thing he used to send interns to do.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

delfin posted:

1) Right now I'm an (XM) subscriber with All Access, using an Onyx. I'm looking to buy a new Honda or Mazda with satellite built in. Is it going to be at all easy to convert that to an add-on to my existing subscription so as to get both sides (including Opie) in a second vehicle at a discount?

2) The Onyx has a set of extra channels that I like quite a bit. Are newer car installs going to have similar functionality?
What do you mean by easy? They want you to buy it and it has a Radio ID, maybe you won't be able to do it online but that's a simple phone call. You might as well let the trial ride out though because second radios don't get that huge a discount if it's anything like it used to be.

The "Xtra" thing is mentioned on their page for like only four models so I wouldn't count on it. That's going to be a lot harder to figure out anything online, their page just lists if it does audio, weather and traffic. Maybe some XM fan forum or something is keeping track. You could ask XM or the manufacturer but I bet they both lie because they don't know and just want you to buy it.

You may be better off than this just getting a car stereo that plays off your smartphone and use the money to upgrade your data plan. T-Mobile doesn't even count SiriusXM traffic toward your limit, considering it part of their 'music' feature. You might as well find out what another radio sub costs and crunch the numbers. Remember you can pre-download some shows with the phone app too, though they expire.

If you do go the smartphone-to-car route make sure it actually plays off the phone somehow and doesn't just connect for phone calls. Yeah you could figure something out but if you're buying a new car you should have it how you want it.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 11, 2015

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Now that torrents are down if I get an audible subscription to Bennington does that include ads?

Is there a way to like play it on demand on smartphones or anything or do you have to download MP3s and put them on your device?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stefan Prodan posted:

Now that torrents are down if I get an audible subscription to Bennington does that include ads?

Is there a way to like play it on demand on smartphones or anything or do you have to download MP3s and put them on your device?
There are phone apps but their model has always been about downloads so you probably need a little disk space. I can't imagine there being ads since SXM doesn't even play the ads in the on demand area.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

therealjon_ posted:

drat, Anthony is doing the thing he used to send interns to do.

Buy lunch?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
gently caress his girlfriend in the hot tub?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

This: https://twitter.com/TheCumiaShowPR/status/652989813457584128

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16ipQHzlj8

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anthony goes viral over some 7 minute clip a fan posts. Ben cries on Twitter about it being stolen.

What is it about copyright that makes people go full retard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Stefan Prodan posted:

Using Audible on PC forces you to use windows media player because of a bunch of DRM bullshit, and the audio quality is bad even if you turn the quality to 'high.' If you want to listen on mobile you can't download an MP3, you will have to use the Audible app on your smartphone, but at least the iOS app is actually very good. There are no ads.

• Locked thread