Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

Procedural generation means all of the worlds will be generated with the same algorithm though, I can safely judge based on this one because every rocky vacuum world will look exactly like that, maybe with faint atmospheric haze.

That's not how algorithms work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to land in or on asteroids.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Procedural generation means all of the worlds will be generated with the same algorithm though, I can safely judge based on this one because every hilly plains world will look exactly like that, maybe with a cave or two.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bad example.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Met posted:

loving blow a gasket about an accidental reveal months before release.

Never mind that they just wanted to show off the functional bits and they still have months to pretty things up. Nope! Have to go furiously type up criticisms at the first conceivable opportunity because it isn't absolutely perfect yet.

You're the only one blowing a gasket here to someone not reacting with a :jawdrop: emote.

Super weird how defensive this thread gets around criticism.

RubberJohnny fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 9, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
If you use Minecraft as an example of A Thing Done Properly you've instantly lost the argument

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
There's already better procgen in the game, I mean there's no real reason for them to do anything but a single-pass perlin heightmap on this clearly prototype asteroid. This is the only place that's been in screenshots, this is all there is right now, it's not all there's ever gonna be.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Of course none of this rightful bashing (that kind of comment is why they don't show stuff, after all) means that planets won't look boring and exactly alike when they come out and for at least a year after.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

chaosapiant posted:

I hope at some point planets with atmospheres and water allows us to go fishing. I want to be an interstellar fisherman.

Let me skim the oceans and crack the water into hydrogen for fuel. :getin: Also mine ice asteroids for water ice and crack that into fuel. More potential hydrogen sources would be a good thing for explorers

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Let me skim the oceans and crack the water into hydrogen for fuel. :getin: Also mine ice asteroids for water ice and crack that into fuel. More potential hydrogen sources would be a good thing for explorers

Oh man I want to chase down comets in an emergency

All landing on a moving object

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh man I want to chase down comets in an emergency

All landing on a moving object

First, we need comets.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

double riveting posted:

I read between the lines of a Frontier dev somewhere that CQC uses different graphics code than the main game. Reason appears to be that the main game makes only 30fps on XBone; this way they get CQC to do 60.

In other words, thanks consoles.

Edit: I haven't played CQC, yet, so it might still be just you.
Edit2: The main game makes only 30fps on my PC as well, ofc, so I should not complain. Maybe it's even dynamic - do you have a "good rig" (as in, actually good)?

I get 60fps..

Will fraps it or Shadowplay it. Can't say I've ever seen the counter dip below 50 except when I was on 2x 560 Ti's and entering into a station.

edit: I want to be able to catch a solar eclipse on Earth. Looked up the eclipse tables and was disappointed to find that NADA had only gone out to the 31st century.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

KakerMix posted:

First, we need comets.

Well yeh that too

Wondering how they'd implement tracking them since they'd be too slow and small to see in FSD

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I think it would be really cool if there was some kind of auto-fab modules that could spit out stuff like limpets and repair ammo, it might take a while but it would be really cool for explorers to be able to mine out in the middle of nowhere and actually use the stuff on the spot.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Concerning planet generation:

Frontier posted:

Tune in on Wednesday October 14, 7PM BST to see our 'How to Make a Real World' Livestream

The planets in Elite Dangerous: Horizons feel immersive, tactile and real, and making them is a complex, fascinating and important part of development. We'd love to give you a sneak peek behind the scenes at how we create these planets, so we’re hosting a livestream next week with a couple of our lead artists (keep an eye on our social media channels for where the stream will be hosted).

On Wednesday October 14, at 7PM BST, we'll show you some early development footage of the icy and rocky worlds in motion. This peek behind the scenes will demonstrate the simulation technology that we've been working on to create the captivating “Europa lines” for the ice worlds and canyons, and the craters and mountains for the rocky worlds.

Simulation has always been important within the Elite Dangerous galaxy, and our conversation with the artists will highlight the accuracy, depth and technical prowess that go into creating the impressive features that make up our worlds.

We'll talk through the base-scientific principle that the simulation has been built on in order to shape these beautiful, real worlds. Viewers will also have the chance to ask questions about the atmosphere-less bodies they'll be landing on when Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches later this year.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Just sayin..

To flip out over that video clip was pretty ridiculous.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
People do the same sort of poo poo over SC, and almost every other game ever. Just wish people would chill the gently caress out until a product is released, THEN bitch about how crappy it is.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Next newsletter is out.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=c2bae423cf

Regarding this, I really think they should have taken the time to make a slightly different UI than the default. I understand the lore says that the UI belongs to the pilots federation and is the same for everything, but still..its a little lazy imo. At least, we know that it will be functional..C:

Also, he is driving with assist off.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 9, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

RubberJohnny posted:

You're the only one blowing a gasket here to someone not reacting with a :jawdrop: emote.

Are you seriously loving kidding me.

The thread that produced the :frontear: emote. This is the same thread getting "super weird defensive". Did you post at all during powerplay or?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RubberJohnny posted:

Fam it's like you don't read the thread

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Also, it looks like there is a base in that video.

Seems a little spread out. Landing pads?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Literally Kermit posted:

Are you seriously loving kidding me.

The thread that produced the :frontear: emote. This is the same thread getting "super weird defensive". Did you post at all during powerplay or?

The arbitrary "this thread is [blah blah blah]" thing is a bit people do to look like super cool guys who are above the Forum Hivemind.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I think he got lost and is looking for the Star Citizen thread maybe???

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KakerMix posted:

First, we need comets.
I had a quick glance at the reddit AMA they did last week, and Michael Brooks agrees.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dante80 posted:

Regarding this, I really think they should have taken the time to make a slightly different UI than the default. I understand the lore says that the UI belongs to the pilots federation and is the same for everything, but still..its a little lazy imo. At least, we know that it will be functional..C:
Somewhat related but I kinda wish there was an option for non-standardized HUDs so that every ship had their own unique HUD. It'll never happen but every ship having all the displays in different spots in the old Wing Commander games was always one of my favourite things.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Besides the Bacon City CG there is also a rares smuggling CG in Noti. It's not great pay to actually smuggle the items, but the CG might have decent payout. If you have a high jump range it could be worth it to get it up a few tiers.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.frontierstore.net/merchandise/logo-cap.html

But when do we get the trucker variant? :colbert:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Insert name here posted:

Somewhat related but I kinda wish there was an option for non-standardized HUDs so that every ship had their own unique HUD. It'll never happen but every ship having all the displays in different spots in the old Wing Commander games was always one of my favourite things.

Yes, and no. The paramount focus of UI is for it to be as intuitive and functional as possible. Making a good or even passable design is not easy in a game like this. And replicating the intended gameplay output across many different designs is borderline impossible.

What FDEV could and should do, is to provide "flair" and customization to the existing design. From different default per manufacturer hue and color combinations to customized audio and graphics/symbols. Geometry changes though...can be a bitch.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Shine posted:

The arbitrary "this thread is [blah blah blah]" thing is a bit people do to look like super cool guys who are above the Forum Hivemind.

But its not super cool at all!!

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter handled it fine :colbert:

It's not like the ships are balanced all that well anyway, giving the ships or even just manufacturers their own UI designs would be pretty cool and do a lot for *~my immersion~*

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Whoa I'm really surprised you can fluidly fly from a planet's surface into space. I thought it would be like space stations, where you'd "pop" out of supercruise and immediately be on the surface.

I imagine you'll still have to wait through a swirly loading screen between supercruise and planet view, but it's still impressive.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Dante80 posted:

Yes, and no. The paramount focus of UI is for it to be as intuitive and functional as possible. Making a good or even passable design is not easy in a game like this. And replicating the intended gameplay output across many different designs is borderline impossible.

What FDEV could and should do, is to provide "flair" and customization to the existing design. From different default per manufacturer hue and color combinations to customized audio and graphics/symbols. Geometry changes though...can be a bitch.

I hope this happens, with what they've said they have to do to the HUD to make colourizing it work properly it's just a hop away from that, really. I wish they'd hurry up and stop kicking the UI rebuild down the list though i can definitely understand it's gonna be perma-low priority.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Polo-Rican posted:

Whoa I'm really surprised you can fluidly fly from a planet's surface into space. I thought it would be like space stations, where you'd "pop" out of supercruise and immediately be on the surface.

There is going to be an instance hop I think, from SuperCruise to "approach" or "orbit mode".

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Dante80 posted:

There is going to be an instance hop I think, from SuperCruise to "approach" or "orbit mode".

Yep, but that's still better than I expected. I expected the hop to be from space to an endless procedural surface that extends infinitely in all directions. But you're getting the full planetary sphere, which is awesome.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Dante80 posted:

A transition more between atmospheric flight and non-atmospheric flight, gravity, etc.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yep, but that's still better than I expected. I expected the hop to be from space to an endless procedural surface that extends infinitely in all directions. But you're getting the full planetary sphere, which is awesome.

It's not like seamless planetary transitions are impossible. If one developer games like Rodina and Evochron can manage it, It shouldn't be too big of a problem for an actual developer team like Frontier. If there are any transitions they're going to be there because of instancing, not because they can't make a seamless transition work.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

gently caress. I made 47 jumps yesterday!
Also, since it gets switched off after every patch, a reminder to explorers to turn on verbose logging so you can use tools like EDDiscovery to see where you've been recently. Useful for those times when you accidentally jump out before scanning that Earth-like and can't find it again.

Aramoro posted:

Ah handy, I'm currently really bad at supercruising and coming out of supercruise at my destination, like it flashes up I should slow down but well after I should have started slowing down so I kinda obrit it trying to slow down to some reasonable speed nearby before cruising in.
In addition to the tips about watching the countdown as you approach, if you don't mind getting there a little slower, put your throttle in the blue zone. That should (usually) slow you down to just the right speed when you're getting near your destination. Some ships can be a little fiddly about it, but you should get the hang of it with some experimentation.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Polo-Rican posted:

Indeed. I'm really wondering how this will look when we get down to planets with an atmosphere too. Re-entry heat and all that.
Btw, I know that this is for 2017, but I am really excited to see how FDEV will make their atmospheric flight model.

The only thing really missing would be to have proper, seamless looking instance hopping transitions. Imagining something like decelerating from warp in EVE seems appropriate, I really hope that FDEV takes a look at this in the future.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 9, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just getting into this again after a 2 month hiatus and see tons of posts and several things in game which I don't know mean. Also, seems like mining might be a thing now? :monocle:

Easy question though: Is there enough of a price difference in the same system to price shop for selling stuff? I'm at a small outpost and I can make a 951cr/t profit on what I've got in my inventory (I don't remember what it is.. they're worth about 5K/T though.) Should I bother trying to go to one of the more massive bases in the system with a higher population that has the same economy? My Python is loaded up with 158t of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Sekenr posted:

Is it just me or ships and ship effects like thrusters look significantly worse in CQC than in normal game? It is very noticeable when they show you your killer

There's something off about the LoDing in CQC, especially in the killer cam. If I had to guess I'd say the LoDing system thinks the distance to the killer is from your death location, not from the camera looking at him afterwards, so you get reduced quality for killcam, depending on how far away your killer was from you when he killed you. Thruster FX especially jumps from "huge so you can see it from 1km away" on the killcam (despite being much closer than that) to regular sized when you're back in your cockpit after a respawn.

• Locked thread